Fear less! on Kongregate

A game collaboration between innomin and atpalicis, which started right here on PixelJoint as a weekly challenge entry!

Please rate it if you visit :)

Play it here

A girl is having recurring nightmares of being chased by death. Clear your mind and fight back against the darkness!

Posted by Innomin @ 3/4/2013 23:53  |    27

Luminaripple (Level 1 Seaman) @ 3/19/2013 09:29

This game is a masterpiece! Beautiful and simple.

As a gamer I can tell about this experiance. First impression: "Awesome! " Music, visualisation and story are nearly perfect.

Characters and scene of the story interlace with plot of Red Riding Hood.

The harmony of colors and smooth animation are very pleasing to the eye.

The melody and sound effects sustenance atmosphere of fairytale and add rhytmic flow.

Can you do even better?

CraftyPixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/18/2013 20:57

- Wow o.o -

Peelz (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 3/11/2013 01:57

All medals earned! The difficulty level of the game sharply declined once I realized that you can purchase upgrades! :D

Great game!

Mr.Fahrenheit (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 3/10/2013 07:55

Don't worry, I didnt play through the whole game.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 3/9/2013 18:51

I agree.

I think a good way to alleviate this problem would be to show the upgrade menu before the game starts, so that players can at least see why they're so powerless at first, rather than assuming that is how the whole game is played like Mr. Fahrenheit sort of did.

Anyways, lovely work all around, guys.

eclep (Level 5 Detective) @ 3/9/2013 12:32

I got the good ending right after I got all the medals (except the one related to this ending of course)

king_bobston (Level 7 Underboss) @ 3/9/2013 05:02

I enjoyed it! Played untill I got all medals. The sword confused me until the first enemy with a bigger grey-zone came. Also noticing that I can get the *upgrades* in the menu made it alot easier

I'm not quite sure what triggered the "good"-ending. Is it the overall distance or the unharmed distance?

Other than that I like all the lovely touches; the different menu animations (espacially upgrades), when the nightmare got you and when you escaped, the progressing music, that you get closer to the nightmare when you lose health and some I probalby forgot.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/9/2013 01:13

I can't say I enjoyed playing it but nice work on it anyways.

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/8/2013 23:52

So much to love about this game! The obstacle clusters are fun and varied. The progression of the music over time lends a dynamic quality to the game. It's a nice design touch that as the player becomes increasingly injured, she falls closer to death, which not only heightens the tension, but also gives the player more room to anticipate approaching obstacles. The upgraded character wearing boxing gloves is also a nice touch.

It's an unfortunate design necessity that the player isn't initally fun to control. This issue may trigger prematurate judgment and the subsequent stoppage of play for some people.  The quick leveling ameliorates it somewhat, but it might play smoother if she started in a less hobbled state.

The foreground can muddy the action at times. I feel like the color forcing could have a more consistent direction behind it. For instance, the small coins are hard to spot and the skull-with-bow ornaments, while cute, ultimately add confusion to the midground (since the mushrooms are also red).

I appreciate the minimalistic approach, but it would be nice to see your distance progress (especially during any boring stretches).

Is it possible to win? I made it 690m.

showtime (Level 5 Soldier) @ 3/8/2013 20:52

Haha, I was just playing this game (a buddy of mine linked me to it) when I thought I recognized the style from somebody's work on PJ... Congrats guys : )

Innomin (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 3/8/2013 19:17

@Mr.Fahrenheit: Thanks so much for telling me about that! I think I have to start keeping track of articles now!

To everyone, we are humbled by all the great feedback. This release has turned out so much better than we expected, and it all started here on PJ.

We're on the front page of Kongregate now, and we have badges. Whohoo!

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 3/8/2013 18:27

I love you.

Mr.Fahrenheit (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 3/8/2013 18:10

Is there a way to jump higher then just a tiny little hop? I can't seem to get the coins up high. That may be because i never beat the first level :/. Also, great job at getting onto PCGamer! http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/08/the-free-webgame-round-up-25/

theether (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 3/8/2013 13:18

such cute and lovely graphics

At first i found it hard to distinguish the background from actual obstacles, though.

@Manupix: you have to press the button when the moving cursor on the sword is in the red zone

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/6/2013 12:06

über lovely game!

I wish the music could be turned off separately from the sound fx though.

Also I still don't get how that sword works :S

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/6/2013 09:59

@all, help these PJers by rating if you visit ;)

*you need to be a member tho.

_Connor (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/6/2013 02:07

loved the parallaxing art piece when it was uploaded here, now it's plished and looks even better. This game is great =D

Phill (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 3/5/2013 18:58

I loved this game: great style, awesome pixeling, good playability and good animation! I bow before you!

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 3/5/2013 18:04

Great pixel graphics for a "jumper" game.

sjhwi1a (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 3/5/2013 16:53

Oh... finally rainbow. It was very fun hour. Good job.

RileyFiery (Level 8 Marshal) @ 3/5/2013 14:27

It's a very fun game. Good way to pass some time.

GameBoy (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/5/2013 13:40

Wish it had more variety, but I still enjoyed it. I would like to see this on my mobile phone.

atpalicis (Level 6 Commander) @ 3/5/2013 11:11

eclep (Level 5 Detective) @ 3/5/2013 09:24

This is so cool! I got all the medals :D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/5/2013 08:30

Art is wonderful. Player sprite, adorable.

Sergiotron (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 3/5/2013 08:18

Good one!

Pixelart_kid (Level 5 Detective) @ 3/5/2013 07:35

Not bad, it's fun
It has good art and animation.

This Week's Pixel Art

Zer0 from Borderlands 2 icon/pixelartStreaker Weapons icon/pixelartSuper Running Robot icon/pixelartWreck it Ralph icon/pixelart