Pixel Art Challenge: 1-1

icon

Create your own interpretation of the iconic first level of Super Mario Bros. You can reinterpret it however you like, but the resemblance must be clear. Also, it should go without saying, but, no rips or edits.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 13.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 5/27/2013   |    26

Discussion

Mishok (Level 1 Private) @ 6/2/2013 23:23

Many great works and ideas. I like to be only the viewer here.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 6/2/2013 22:11

No, of course I couldn't finish my entry yesterday. No let's leave it until this morning when I wake up with the damn flu. T_T

TombReaper (Level 5 Sniper) @ 5/31/2013 10:07

It's fun to see how people love video game related challenges, you see lots of entries and the WIP thread is bursting with WIPs.

Emperor_Pixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/30/2013 22:04

He already stated that he isn't in the challenge.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/30/2013 17:27

Whaaat? Change the rule about the colors please!

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/29/2013 09:55

I think this is going to be one of the most active challenges we've seen in over a year. Great choice who ever came up with this one.

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/29/2013 08:21

Well, most computers have programs like Paint. Thats where you should start. Your color count and whatnot should also be maintained. There are also programs like graphics gale, grafx2, or similar programs that allow you to utilize the pencil, line, fill, curve, and other tools to create pixelart graphics. A few things to note- keep your colorcount low (this challenge has a restriction of 13, but in theory you can use how ever you want. But you may get blasted for it :D), and perhaps use a specific pallet. Photoshop and paint.net have tools that no longer make it pixelart, so avoid those (auto AA on lines, advanced transparency, blending). And lastly, never save a file as a jpeg. Save it as a png (or a gif if it is animated).

I suggest reading this also, if you are interested in making pixel art. http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Welcome to pixeljoint diba 14, I'm sure if you take the time to practice and participate with the community you will have a lot of fun. Be sure to create a topic on the forum if you are looking for critique. These guys and girls can help a lot, in that field.

diba_14 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/29/2013 05:45

How do I create things

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/29/2013 05:12

Whaaat? Its only wednesday and we already have two godly entries?? omg!

|||| (Level 8 Marshal) @ 5/28/2013 15:01

Ah Flyguy.. I see it as a minor favor.. maybe tagging it is some standard.  I'm not sure how they rip.. I always thought they just screen capped the games at the native resolution and cut out the sprites :p either way its still time consuming.  I agree it's harmless, there's nothing wrong with ripping just the sometimes "give credit" thing is silly since they didn't actually MAKE it.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/28/2013 06:10

@Emperor, I think the wording means a screen, a part of the level or the whole level: "You can reinterpret it however you like"

Joseki (Level 5 Detective) @ 5/28/2013 00:15

I wish I had the time to do this, I love the subject!

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/27/2013 20:20

Well they put the time together to compile it, and I sure don't know how. I see no harm in it.

DragonDePlatino (Level 5 Detective) @ 5/27/2013 17:41

*Concentrates intently* Nothing...I've got nothing. I've played around with so many themes and perspectives in my head that I'm just overwhelmed and can't settle on a single one. DX

Emperor_Pixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/27/2013 16:54

I have a question...

Do I have to reproduce the level in its entirety? Or is it inside the rules for me to reproduce an "iconic part" of the level?

Losm (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 5/27/2013 16:34

Level 1-1 of SMB, my own enterpratation, max. 13 colours.

... That's exactly what this piece I made a while ago is: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/73296.htm

Damn.

CraftyPixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/27/2013 15:53

- This'll be sort of fun I guess... going to make something fun. -

|||| (Level 8 Marshal) @ 5/27/2013 15:48

Wehell, This should be interesting! Can't wait to see the play on 1-1.

I agree about the rippers tagging their "work". How petty, and some even demand credit... "Look at me, I am a creative genious whom rips graphics, give me credit if you use my work". wtf.

MikauKahn (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 5/27/2013 12:19

Call of Halo: Alpha XVII Fantasy - Platformer Edition

~Premium Edition: contains all 45 DLC levels and patches~

^ Bonus points if someone makes it!

r1k (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/27/2013 11:15

would be cool to see someone keep the layout the same, but totally change the setting.  Like making it futuristic megaman style or something.

MikauKahn (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 5/27/2013 10:41

Crozier is right.

For example, I plan on only doing one part of it, and it's not going to be in a tile set. Don't just go batshizz with the background, go all out on the whole thing!

CraftyPixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/27/2013 09:34

- Well it's became pretty popular, and still is... "Graphics ripping" look up spriters resource. - but yeah... xD

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/27/2013 09:10

Neah, bro, it just has to be an interpretation. You don't even have to do a mockup if you don't want to. Go nuts with it.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/27/2013 08:52

Question, only the main tiles have to be in the same area right, so we can go batshizz crazy with the BG if we like right?

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/27/2013 07:58

Low color count? Mockup? Unrestricted canvas? Sounds a lot like my dream challenge.

Elk (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 5/27/2013 03:54

why the hell do people write their email adress and their name in the right bottom so everyone can see who ripped it?? oh man

This Week's Pixel Art

Tiny Warrior icon/pixelartThe Textmode Times icon/pixelartCat with scarf icon/pixelartTurtle icon/pixelart