Pixel Art Challenge: Animal RPG Party

icon

Have you ever asked yourself what your spirit animal is?

Now you have the chance to pixel even three of them! Create a RPG party with the different members being humanoid animals. Try to work in the stereotypical traits of the animals you pixel. For example, the strong bear as the tank or the wise owl casting spells.

Typical characters are:

The warrior
The healer
The engineer
The sorcerer
The thief
The hunter

However, you can make up your own classes.

Canvas Size - Max. 350x350
Colours - 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by Mandrill @ 5/1/2017 04:16  |    27

Discussion

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/8/2017 15:20

These are some pretty awesome ideas, bobo! You should really finish it despite the weekly being over. One nitpick though... why no mandrills?

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 5/8/2017 14:32

@Jinn

I do plan to finish but like all things I plan to do - it'll probably take a long time since the next week I'll do something else and youknowhowitis.

@Adarias

Thanks for believing in me but I closed everything shortly after I wrote it and by the time I was back at my pc the challenge was over. (Where is your piece?)

Adarias (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/7/2017 21:33

king I'm drinking caffeine (which I have sworn off) and using a mouse (instead of a trackpad or cintiq) to make the deadline, surely you can clean your stray pixels in time!

imgur.com/a/QG6K4

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/7/2017 14:42

Even if you won't finish it in time for the challenge, finish it anyway! I'm curious to see how it'd turn out :D

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 5/7/2017 13:44

I won't finish in time

Was going for a team that would beat pretty much anything:

If it would've been personal animals it would be:

• Honey Badger
  • Cat
  • maybe Raven? Not sure about third one

I leave it to your imagination why I chose either ;^)

DexRunner (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 5/6/2017 05:33

Okay, thanks.  My palette got messed up in the program I was using and it doesn't look like I'm gonna make the deadline now, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/6/2017 04:11

32 colours are the maximum. You can have less than that.

nikanaut (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 5/6/2017 03:20

I assumed the same  I've got like 12 now... I'm just gonna go crazy with the shading

DexRunner (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 5/5/2017 17:13

I got a question to clarify even though I think I know the answer.  Is 32 colours the limit or the exact amount we have to include?  I thought you could usually have less (I was HOPING you could have less) until I read a comment on the forums that made it seem like we needed 32 exactly.

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 5/4/2017 13:06

I'm not that evil-minded

Macaroni and Cheese (Level 1 Private) @ 5/3/2017 19:36

I got overwhelmed by the 350 x 350, gonna try again at a smaller resolution.

EdJr (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/3/2017 15:37

Oops, I was just (half-)jokingly asking bobo if that's what he has in mind; should've added a "@king_poneyston" for clarity. But come to think of it, it's not that bad of an idea.... 🤔

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/3/2017 13:27

....

Sure, go ahead.

EdJr (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/3/2017 11:02

My Little Pony?

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/2/2017 13:14

Bring it on! Shifty

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/2/2017 08:51

@ bobo

You can do that too if you want. The spirit animal part is just some flavour text. ;)

@ Jinn

Absolutely

@ The Channel

They have to be exactly 3

TheChannel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/1/2017 21:44

So do we need to make 3 of them or any amount we choose?

yahkehbu (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/1/2017 20:07

Ninja Turtle RPG... sounds epic

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/1/2017 20:01

Can we repeat the animal/class? I was thinking of doing some ninja turtles.

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 5/1/2017 15:12

Sorry for the bother but what about creatures where the lower part is animal while the upper is human (like Centaurs or Lamia)?

I still would like to know about the 'spirit animal' part, since it determines which combo I would do, even if the likelyhood of participating shrunk due to less time :<

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/1/2017 13:21

They should stand on 2 legs

You don't have to follow the typical stereotypes if you don't want to.

They should stand on 2 legs

Thank you!

Axolotl (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 5/1/2017 09:18

STOP THINKING SO HARD!  You're gonna get nosebleeds! :p

DexRunner (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 5/1/2017 08:52

You can do whatever you want within the given boundaries.  Is probably not a great idea to stray too far from the common stereotypes since you'll want it to be relatable and people will be voting for or against your submission.  On the other hand, if it doesn't stand out as interesting, the community might not vote for it anyway.

The balance of that is really up to you.  Just remember to HAVE FUN while working on your piece.  I've found that, if it becomes a chore to finish, such an attitude will more than likely shine through and may hinder the art.

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 5/1/2017 08:44

Is the 'spirit animal' part central theme or just flavor text? And how animal-like do they have to be?

found this chart, might help visualise it: [link]

Eggy (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/1/2017 07:11

Are we allowed to stray away from stereotypical traits? While I understand that, for example, an animal that's frequently attributed with wisdom and casts spells would make sense (like the owl example you mentioned), I also personally think that stereotypes are sometimes boring and exclusive since I believe those are done a lot and furthermore are more or less predictable (unless one puts an interesting twist to it that makes it more interesting). That being said I have nothing against stereotypes (as long as they're not negative ones!) and people are free to go with it if they want to, but I like to endorse creativity and variety as I'm certain that it's one of the keys to making something of yours stand out in the massive crowd

Of course, there are animals that may be limited to some traits (e.g. the bear may only work as a big sturdy wall or a brutal bruiser due to its trademark bulkiness), but if one thinks outside the box, I believe someone could actually make it work if they make at least some sense out of their animal-class combo. After all, why must a creature stick to conventional means if it is perfectly able to work with something unconventional?

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/1/2017 07:00

They have to be furries tho?

This Week's Pixel Art

everyday pixel #003: Coles dark chocolate block icon/pixelarti icon/pixelartStar Trail icon/pixelartCute Pixel Room icon/pixelart