Message Icon Topic: Suggest a Collaboration Project Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Topic: Suggest a Collaboration Project
    Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:41am

Post all your brilliant pixel art collaboration project ideas here.

When posting your ideas try and be as specific as possible while still being concise. It always helps make ideas clear for everyone when a template or example image is provided. Before an idea will be offered up for contributions the following questions have to be answered... 

• Is the project isometric or non-isometric?
  • How many colors are allowed?  Is there a palette?
  • What are the maximum dimensions? Is it fixed width? Is it fixed height?
  • How do the pieces join together if they join together at all?

Once the project idea is formalized post in the forum for all to contribute to. If the project gets enough interest we'll post a special page on Pixel Joint that brings it all together. 

Have fun!

Edited by sedgemonkey
IP IP Logged
the_keller
Seaman
Seaman

Quote the_keller Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2005 at 10:17pm

How about a pixel brothel?  Guranteed ratings during sweeps.

IP IP Logged
DragonSoar
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DragonSoar Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 6:48am

Using rectangular tiles the starter of the collaberation pixels a head, but doesn't post it. Then participants pixel some shoulders and bodybits etc, and PMs or email it to the starter of the collaberation, then he/she puts all the pieces together but doesn't post it. Participants can keep adding body bits until the starter of the collaberation stops them, pixels some feet, or asks someone else to do it, and then posts the complete monster and everyone can see the end result.

Edited by DragonSoar
IP IP Logged
Belle
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Belle Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 9:17am
Pleeeeaaaaaasseeeee non-isometric stuff. I can't pixel isometric for the life of me.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:44am

That sounds cool DragonSoar.  We used to do something like that on a piece of paper where we would fold it into three parts and just draw where the legs would connect and where the neck would connect as lines. 

I think I have your idea down. Each monster could be split into the following formula...

• 2 hands
  • 2 arms
  • 2 shoulders
  • 2 legs
  • 2 feet
  • 1 chest
  • 1 crotch
  • 1 head

When all the body parts are in a person could stitch them all together with some helper pixels.  Maybe we could build a big collection of body part squares so people can build their own monsters.  It would help if we had a simple outline of a person with no detail as a base. That way the pieces would fit together easier. Also a limitation of only four colors (any four colors) per body part would keep the palette from getting crazy. That would lead to a maximum of 52 colors per monster which is quite a big palette but not bad for a 13 piece monster. 

How does that sound?  I'm going to start on my outline so you can see what I mean.

IP IP Logged
Dejital
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Dejital Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:02pm
There's an old Russian drawing game that's sort of like that. You draw the head, and the other person draws the body, but you don't know what the other body part is until both people are finished. This is just for laughs since someone may draw the head of a giraffe and their partner, the body of a chicken.
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 3:38pm

Bags the crotch!

But yeah, I think everyone has played that game. It's a lot of fun! I'm definately keen.

I also agree with Sedge about the outline base, it's a must! I also think perhaps that the palette should be preset. Or that the compliler should unify the final product somehow by replacing any similar colours. I just get this horrible idea that I'd end up looking REALLY disjointed. Which would be fine if it were just the form, but I think the palette should blend well.

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:12pm

OK, iSTVAN brings up a point... One person is going to have to volunteer to be the stitcher -- the person that joins them all together and makes some executive decisions about how the pieces should join and how the colors work. 

We could make it simple and only have three blocks or we could really split the bastard up into pieces. There would obviously have to be some overlap either way and that is what the "stitcher" is for... to make it all blend nicely.  The shape of the body part doesn't have to follow the outline at all, but it should match the join parts (the parts in green) perfectly.

Which version do you think we should use?  Simple or complex?

IP IP Logged
Dejital
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Dejital Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:38pm
Obviously simple, there's no good reason to use complex, since nobody would want to do the shoulders, etc. Plus, there won't be any low quality left shoulder, high quality right shoulder, etc.
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:51pm

What are you talking abou?! Shoulders would still be fun to do! And differences in quality will appear regardless! Remember, not everyone can do the head. However, I agree the simpler one would be better, because the complex version would need MUCH more restrictions, eg. lines seperating the feet so they dont overlap, etc. Thats not to say it wouldnt be fun though.

In the case of using the simlier version, I think it would do to make the outline smaller, half even. Nothing agaisnt Sedge's spiffing outline, its just seems like the person doing the midsection has A LOT more work. Perhaps you could have different size frames? Or build up to bigger people.

Ooh, and I'm happy to be the stitcher, if no one else had their hearts set on it!

What we need now is people to volunteer for a section, and compose groups, I guess...

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:16pm

I agree with the size assessment... I started screwing around making a head and came to the same conclusion -- way too big.

Let's start with the simple one.  I'll start a thread for this particular collaboration once I finish the new template.  We can post more templates as time goes on, but it'd be nice to just get one going so people can see how it works.  I don't want to make it too formal. I want every pixeller to participate.

Edit: Thread found at...  http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9&PN =1

Edited by sedgemonkey
IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote greyscar Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2005 at 9:44am
yeah lol, i thought i was seeing double...

-ollie
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

Quote stryder Replybullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:54pm
 how about a collage i of lots of peoples best works
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 12:20pm
nice...

maybe make a new community tower after the stopage of my wongs.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 10:40am

I think a collage would be cool, but there has to be some unifying theme to keep it connected.

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 11:24am
why not make a face like those pictures that are made from thouasands of tiny pictures, usually movie people.
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 7:33pm
Sibix: Yeah! The collage could be a mosaic that forms the image of pixel joint's (yet to be announced- or even decided!) new mascot!....or it could spell 'Pixel Joint.'
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:08am
the mascot idea <33 sounds great istvan
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

Quote stryder Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:11am
so a mascot with made from a bunch of pictures? or just a mascot
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:15am

the 1st... as it would count as a community collaberation.. i tink?

IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

Quote stryder Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:19am
what is the first the collage
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 1:12pm
Here's a great idea. I can make a huge building calling it Pixel Joint :D and every one can each do one room for it showing a front inside view. Every one can put their own furniture in it and stuff.... Wouldn't be hard to do at all. I'll set up the workspace and all the details and post it later. When we're finished It'll hopefully be a tall building showcasing all the members rooms and work. I'll make some sort of key so you can tell who's room is who's. I'll set this all up soon. 

Edited by TakeOut
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 1:17pm

Sounds like a cool and logical idea.

Make sure you provide specs and an example when posting your project.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by TakeOut

Here's a great idea. I can make a huge building calling it Pixel Joint :D and every one can each do one room for it showing a front inside view. Every one can put their own furniture in it and stuff.... Wouldn't be hard to do at all. I'll set up the workspace and all the details and post it later. When we're finished It'll hopefully be a tall building showcasing all the members rooms and work. I'll make some sort of key so you can tell who's room is who's. I'll set this all up soon. 

I was thinking it'd be cool to do an inside version of Mr. Wongs Soup apartments.

We are talking iso aren't we?

IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by pixelblink

Originally posted by TakeOut

I was thinking it'd be cool to do an inside version of Mr. Wongs Soup apartments.

We are talking iso aren't we?

Yup, and what's Mr.Wong's Soup apartments?
Is that what you were just planning on naming it? Well I like the idea of it being an apartment. I was just going to make it Pixel Joint Hotel or something like that.
Here's an example of one I started on another forum along time ago for some sorta' club:
For some reason we started from the top down..... Putting the head people on top and the rest going from the bottom down. ..
This is a bad example of this idea. Cause it doesn't really display the other rooms behind other ones. I know a way to get around this though.

Instead though we could all just build a house/apartment together and make all the room's seperate. Hell it could be a mansion. So and so can do the bathroom and so fourth.

Edited by TakeOut
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 6:01pm

omg.. you've never seen Mr. Wongs Soup Apartments???? Of course, the project is now over with but you can still see the results at http://www.mrwong.de/myhouse/

Also, would it not be better visually to not have rooms stacked upon eachother like that? Why not make it like isocity or pixeldam except instead of a city block we could have house rooms connected by doors and hallways. I'll try and make a mockup of what I mean.

IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 6:17pm

omg.. you've never seen Mr. Wongs Soup Apartments???? Of course, the project is now over with but you can still see the results at http://www.mrwong.de/myhouse/

Also, would it not be better visually to not have rooms stacked upon eachother like that? Why not make it like isocity or pixeldam except instead of a city block we could have house rooms connected by doors and hallways. I'll try and make a mockup of what I mean.

Not really like Mr.Wong. But that's a great idea. That'd be easier to put together also.  That's pretty cool. :)
I think we could do something like that....
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 6:19pm
doing up a template as we speak
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 6:35pm

doing up a template as we speak

Who's going to build the base? You? It better be a damn good base.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 6:37pm

Finished ?? Anyone have something they wanna change on this template?

Also Sedge, would we be able to appropriate some space to post these up pixeldam style?

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 7:47pm

Finished ?? Anyone have something they wanna change on this template?

Also Sedge, would we be able to appropriate some space to post these up pixeldam style?

Nope. But I think we should be able to go a bit larger then that area provided...
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 7:58pm
well we could have a few different sizes, depending on what type of room people want to do. This would be a bedroom or large bathoom. then you could double up to make a small kitchen or use 4 areas to make a big living room. Whichever. Lemme make templates for em all
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2005 at 11:09pm
so, whats going on in here?  whats this collab?
"At least we killed some boredom..." - Death Note.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2005 at 9:45am

Originally posted by Demon

so, whats going on in here?  whats this collab?

Click the previous page to read the rest Demon

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 04 April 2005 at 9:50am

different versions all put together

IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 4:35pm

different versions all put together

ooo Look's nice. When are we going to put up the topic. Also I think we should arrange all the rooms to make a mansion and tell which rooms are for what... Then I think we'll be able to post up the topic. I could organize it for you if you'd like. :)

Edited by TakeOut
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 10:20pm

I completely missed this.  Great job so far guys.  We just need a little direction and organization.  Sounds like Takeout is up for the task!

Pixelblink mentioned a pixeldam type collab way back that I missed.  Just let me konw what I need to do and I'd be happy to help.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by sedgemonkey

I completely missed this.  Great job so far guys.  We just need a little direction and organization.  Sounds like Takeout is up for the task!

Pixelblink mentioned a pixeldam type collab way back that I missed.  Just let me konw what I need to do and I'd be happy to help.

Well, I think a name for this project would be a good simple start. Maybe just "The Joint" would suffice.

Secondly, I'd like some more feedback as to styles, layouts, rules, etc. If we are going to do our own pixeldam, I'd like it to have some quality. As an admin I can oversee submissions if you want.

Thirdly, a seperate space with a link from the main site would be great ... something like www.pixeljoint.com/thejoint with its own link button made up for it. Dunno, how much you want to put into this for programming, etc. Sedge, but we could track down BGR for the dam to ask advice if needed. He's a friendly dude from past encounters.

More than anything though, I don't want to undertake this project solely on my own shoulders. I can't always guarantee I'll always be around to keep it going... real life and such you know.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 11:03pm

Thinking about it now, we could have various types of apartment pages:

- Bachelor rooms
- One bedrooms
- Two bedrooms
- Rec areas (Community swimming pool, billiards, darts, etc. Community apartment bar??)

what else? Looking for ideas here folks, this is a collaborative effort.. not a pixelblink effort.. lol

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 11:08pm

[/QUOTE] ooo Look's nice. When are we going to put up the topic. Also I think we should arrange all the rooms to make a mansion and tell which rooms are for what... Then I think we'll be able to post up the topic. I could organize it for you if you'd like. :)
[/QUOTE]

Perosonally, I'd to fine tune this baby a bit more before we carry on. I'd like to have this as a pixeljoint project posted on the main site more than in the forums.

What do you think?

IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 05 April 2005 at 11:15pm

ooo Look's nice. When are we going to put up the topic. Also I think we should arrange all the rooms to make a mansion and tell which rooms are for what... Then I think we'll be able to post up the topic. I could organize it for you if you'd like. :)
[/QUOTE]

Perosonally, I'd to fine tune this baby a bit more before we carry on. I'd like to have this as a pixeljoint project posted on the main site more than in the forums.

What do you think?

[/QUOTE]
sounds good either way.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 1:05pm

Watch your quotes suckaz.

You guys are doing a great job so far and I think this would be a nice major project to have up on its own once it is refined. I can program the site (http://www.pixeljoint.com/thejoint/)  so they overlap using simple z-layer crap similar to other ISO projects. Before I go to such lengths we need to:

1. Get the template(s) established
  2. Create at least two or three example rooms  
  3. Establish submission guidelines (I suggest keeping it fairly simple and flexible)
  4. Create at least one 88x31 banner for the project

I'll leave these tasks up to you guys.  Once you have those things let me know and I'd be happy to contribute the programming for thejoint.

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 2:47pm

you missed my mr wongs tower/pixeldam idea to :( :p

can we have black and white templates when its released cos i cant stand the colours you used..  maybe add some wood tiles for the corridor 2

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by Sibix

can we have black and white templates when its released cos i cant stand the colours you used..  maybe add some wood tiles for the corridor 2

Post up some wood tiled versions and let's see what to do with em. I'm doing a newer template for this and it'd be great to have some textured halls. Throw up any new posts to this topic at the new thread http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
Brian the Great
Commander
Commander
RED!

Quote Brian the Great Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2005 at 12:04am
New idea/suggestion for a collab: evolution. I've been awake for only a minute or something, so I scribbled a little example.

No idea what that is.
Just a suggestion on how to do it. Person #1 could also do the third.
Anyway, how about it? Am I a moring genius or a sleepy fool?
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2005 at 12:07am
I like it... Post a new thread with this example and get it kicked off with a "step 1" and I'll gladly do a "step 2".
IP IP Logged
Brian the Great
Commander
Commander
RED!

Quote Brian the Great Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2005 at 12:09am
Whoa! I need caffeine! And a step one. I'll fet on it right now.
IP IP Logged
Zoomrix
Commander
Commander

Quote Zoomrix Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2005 at 4:25pm

Hmm... Well here's my idea. I've had this one for a long time.

I call it The 4-Letter Collab

• Non-isometric.
  • There is no pallete. Will explain in the rules.
  • The maximum dimensions are on the canvas that you can view bellow. 
  • People will take the picture and draw their piece, post it for the next person.

Canvas

Rules: (Mwuahahahhaa!)

• You can only do one section at a time. (wait for another person to do a section and only then can you make another)
    • Must do the sections in order (1, 2, 3, 4 do I need to go on?)
    • You may do ANY style of the part of the letter but make sure it makes sence and isn't too complex so that the next person can't figure out your shape...

To clear things up I made a quick sketchy example.

One question: Can I post this collab or does someone have to approve of it on here before it can be posted?

Thank you.

George

• Edited by Zoomrix
    IP IP Logged
    Guests
    Guest Group
    Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2005 at 4:55am

OK, iSTVAN brings up a point... One person is going to have to volunteer to be the stitcher -- the person that joins them all together and makes some executive decisions about how the pieces should join and how the colors work. 

We could make it simple and only have three blocks or we could really split the bastard up into pieces. There would obviously have to be some overlap either way and that is what the "stitcher" is for... to make it all blend nicely.  The shape of the body part doesn't have to follow the outline at all, but it should match the join parts (the parts in green) perfectly.

Which version do you think we should use?  Simple or complex?

complex,i'm tryin my own one on complex right now,i'll post it when it's done!!!

Edited by supadude
    IP IP Logged
    Garage Inc.
    Commander
    Commander

Quote Garage Inc. Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2005 at 10:03am

Thinking about it now, we could have various types of apartment pages:

- Bachelor rooms
    - One bedrooms
    - Two bedrooms
    - Rec areas (Community swimming pool, billiards, darts, etc. Community apartment bar??)

what else? Looking for ideas here folks, this is a collaborative effort.. not a pixelblink effort.. lol

If there is a bar, I call it, and anyone else who does it, well, i'm gonna hurt you.

For every second spent wondering if you can do something, you could spend 2 seconds doing it.
    IP IP Logged
    Page  of 8 Next >>
    Post Reply Post New Topic
    Printable version Printable version