Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 8/30/2010: Modern Day RPG Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 8/30/2010: Modern Day RPG
    Posted: 30 August 2010 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Modern Day RPG

Phones wants you to make a one screen mock-up of an RPG that takes place in the real world in modern times (eg. The World Ends With You or Alpha Protocol). So no knights, no magic or anything of the sort.

For the purposes of this challenge, modern should mean sometime within the last 10 years. You may add slight fantasy elements (such as talking animals), but overall it should be a game that looks as though it's clearly set on this planet sometime within the last decade.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Modern Day RPG pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

Edited by skamocore - 31 August 2010 at 10:27am
IP IP Logged
Mr Blu
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mr Blu Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 6:55am
Well. Not to be this guy but. Are you okay with drug references?
IP IP Logged
binoal
Seaman
Seaman

Quote binoal Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:14am
ok, sorry if this is a noob question, but im new here. Does it actually have to be a game, or just the graphics for a game?
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:30am
@Mr Blu - I suppose, it depends on what it is; it should be ok though.

@binoal - just the graphics.
IP IP Logged
Mr Blu
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mr Blu Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 8:56am
I figured I'd ask if I went in that direction. Its not going to be someone shooting up or anything.
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 9:44am
Can it include elements from a more distant past that are still known today? Like maybe one of the party member being a 60s looking Hippie and the other one being an 80s movie action hero.
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:17am
Well, it sounds like you're just starting to look for loopholes here.

There should still remain a heavy indication that the game is actually set in a contemporary setting. Clearly a game about people who are acting in a movie about the 60s or pretending they're from the distant future wouldn't be appropriate for the challenge.

The challenge idea seems to be about showing a game set in the here and now, rather than avoiding the topic and trying to shoehorn in irrelevant ideas. Knowing you, it will be about the Beatles - am I right?

So, basically, the answer is probably not - unless of course it is absolutely crystal clear that it is indeed set in modern times (10 years, as per the challenge description).
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 12:40pm
Nah, just some random smelly hippie.
Because every good game set in present time needs hippies. Like Earthbound. Which I think was set in present time. But since its an old game, its now the past... Oh well. XD
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

Quote dpixel Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by lucas_irineu

Nah, just some random smelly hippie.

A liberal?  lol

Modern day...Hmmm.  How about a bunch of hunchbacked, arthritic, nearsighted, zombie-like characters texting each other?  Oh wait...that's 10 years from now. 
hehe (ಠ_ಠ ) o_- :p
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 5:58pm
wait are we aloud to have monsters? who are the main characters supposed to fight without monsters!
IP IP Logged
Harlequin
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Harlequin Replybullet Posted: 30 August 2010 at 9:30pm
I'm not sure if monsters would be 'realistic' enough for this challenge, but I'm sure your allowed to have enemies of some kind. For example, instead of having a group of goblins or something as an enemy you could have a gang of street punks you have to kill . Use look at the brief in the first post and use your imagination.
IP IP Logged
PanicBomber
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote PanicBomber Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 12:21am
ive been working on something like this.

IP IP Logged
Antifarea
Commander
Commander

Quote Antifarea Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 4:40am
We don't need to include any fantasy element to get this done, and done good. It can be any modern day theme as realistic as real life. Rpg doesn't necessarily means you have to fight people, you could make an rpg that consists of selling stuff, etc. It's up to you, really. Here's an easy idea, my treat to you people: cops against mafia criminals.

Edited by Antifarea - 31 August 2010 at 4:41am
IP IP Logged
StepDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote StepDragon Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 10:37am
I have (what i think is) a good idea. But some people may not agree with the content, so here it is. If anyone has MAJOR issues with it, I can find something else to do. This will pertain mostly to americans.

I'll be doing a scene from a game with the backstory as such:

You were 14 years old when you witnessed the devastation of September 11, 2001. However, you unlike your peers saw this to be a government sceme. you needed proof, so you decided to hack into the CIA. well, long story short you failed, and winded up in jail for 3 years, and got out because they needed the space for a serial killer. You haven't given up hope though. Your Insticts were magnified by the governments harsh actions. Now in 2004, you set your 17 y/o mind to work. Start your quest into the world, gathering intel, equipment, and skills necessary to overtake the governments defenses.

and you go about the game upgrading your equipment and skill levels, hacking into home networks, then into small buisinesses, then into banks, and finally into the government, progressing the whole way.

I have an idea of what will be in my piece, and how it will pertain to the story, i just need to know that nobody will hate me for it.

Edited by StepDragon - 31 August 2010 at 10:38am
IP IP Logged
PizzaEnergy
Seaman
Seaman

Quote PizzaEnergy Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by StepDragon

I have (what i think is) a good idea. But some people may not agree with the content, so here it is. If anyone has MAJOR issues with it, I can find something else to do. This will pertain mostly to americans.

I'll be doing a scene from a game with the backstory as such:

You were 14 years old when you witnessed the devastation of September 11, 2001. However, you unlike your peers saw this to be a government sceme. you needed proof, so you decided to hack into the CIA. well, long story short you failed, and winded up in jail for 3 years, and got out because they needed the space for a serial killer. You haven't given up hope though. Your Insticts were magnified by the governments harsh actions. Now in 2004, you set your 17 y/o mind to work. Start your quest into the world, gathering intel, equipment, and skills necessary to overtake the governments defenses.

and you go about the game upgrading your equipment and skill levels, hacking into home networks, then into small buisinesses, then into banks, and finally into the government, progressing the whole way.

I have an idea of what will be in my piece, and how it will pertain to the story, i just need to know that nobody will hate me for it.

Sounds like a Shia LaBeouf movie.
IP IP Logged
lilpocketninja
Seaman
Seaman

Quote lilpocketninja Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2010 at 10:29pm

W.I.P. VEEERY rough W.I.P. The concept is an RPG of my college. I'm doing it in DS format because I wanted to make a menu screen as well but if I run out of time I may shave the bottom.

On the top screen you can see Colvard Student Union (pic used for reference, highly modified to make it recognizable at this scale) as the backdrop. Box in the upper left (which will probably be MUCH smaller once I actually start pixeling it) will show two bars: AP (Academic Points) and FP (Fun Points).

On the bottom screen is your basic menu. You've got 3 player characters (myself and my friends) with a box showing the fullbody shot of the selected student along with his/her names, stats and class (In this case it would be Banah - (STATS) - Slacker). In the box to the right are some typical college student items (textbook, cellphone, mac book, DS, empty wallet, and student ID card) to be used for various tasks. Below that is a sub-menu directory though I haven't decided what goes there.

Not much to crit image-wise but tell me what you think of the concept? Thanks!

ETA: and I'm thinking of going with a c64 palette though suggestions are welcome.

Edited by lilpocketninja - 31 August 2010 at 10:31pm
IP IP Logged
StepDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote StepDragon Replybullet Posted: 01 September 2010 at 12:57am
i think a macbook is not a typical college student item...
IP IP Logged
Breton Slivka
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Breton Slivka Replybullet Posted: 01 September 2010 at 5:09am

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/07/big-macs-on-campus/

P.S. don't start a sh*t fight.

Edited by Breton Slivka - 01 September 2010 at 5:15am
IP IP Logged
lilpocketninja
Seaman
Seaman

Quote lilpocketninja Replybullet Posted: 01 September 2010 at 5:34am

o.O have you been on a college campus lately? Since two of the three people being used as characters have one, I'm going with it.
IP IP Logged
StepDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote StepDragon Replybullet Posted: 01 September 2010 at 2:33pm
1 sorry, not trying to start one.
2 yes, i was last year, and i was a graphics major. I'm taking a break, but i was there long enough to notice that only 1 person i knew had a macbook, out of the hundreds of people there.

Back on topic, nobody seems to have an issue with the subject matter for my piece, so i'm gonna start it. and HOPEFULLY get it done this time.
IP IP Logged
KittenMaster
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote KittenMaster Replybullet Posted: 01 September 2010 at 2:59pm
A macbook would make it extremely apparent that a game takes place within the last decade considering how established their product image has been for the past several years.
IP IP Logged
inphy
Commander
Commander

Quote inphy Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2010 at 12:44pm
Here's what I've been working on. There's still boatloads of work to do.

IP IP Logged
StepDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote StepDragon Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2010 at 11:59pm
I LOVE IT, dude i don't know about other people, but i rarely see iso in that resolution and i love it. keep it up!

EDIT:

Response to vvv "argh" vvv (not worth wasting another post and risk being kicked by a mod, so i'll use one i already have)

Money's not really an issue, its more about value and ability. I'm from an area which (in general) hates macs. and (USUALLY) for the price of a macbook, you could get a laptop twice as powerful, or a desktop 4x as powerful. so its just not considered.

Edited by StepDragon - 04 September 2010 at 1:08pm
IP IP Logged
argh
Seaman
Seaman

Quote argh Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2010 at 5:02am
I'm a music major, but ALL the art/design majors at my university have a macbook. It's ridiculous. And my school is by no means a rich-folks school (Germany = free education *hooray*).

Sorry to go off topic, but it is hard to believe that there are people not considering a macbook a typical students item.
IP IP Logged
alcheim
Seaman
Seaman

Quote alcheim Replybullet Posted: 05 September 2010 at 5:59pm
This was a fun challenge. but the 32 colour limit makes it a bit challenging. Here's what I ended up with.

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 05 September 2010 at 6:58pm
Looks nice, but you have some readability issues. Maybe ditch the very darkest red since it hardly shows. Or the darkest blue which is hardly used at all.. Is middle green even used anywhere but the plant?
I think its possible to ditch and change a few shades so the walls are not red which is what seems to make it all hard to 'read'.

Use the link in my siggy and test your image in the challenge specs one. You have 41 colors you gotta fix it :(...time is ticking.

Most of the extras are in the sprites and loose pixels here and there and sorting out the blues and the greens will fix about 6 of them too.

Edited by jalonso - 05 September 2010 at 6:59pm
IP IP Logged
alcheim
Seaman
Seaman

Quote alcheim Replybullet Posted: 05 September 2010 at 7:24pm
...Unfortunately I can't do much pixel editing here at work to improve readability. I've resubmitted it with the reduced colours so hopefully it'll still qualify.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 05 September 2010 at 7:36pm
Use the challenge checker in my sig to be sure all items pass or it will not be entered, k, good luck :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version