Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: ISO-OLOGY COLLAB(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 32 Next >>
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:09am
Me wants to have a go at #68.
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:23am
I made a few changes, I think it blends better now.

IP IP Logged
ekobor
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 11:03am

Another progress report from a busy college student ^^;;
I really don't want to lose this tile, so expect to see WIPs every time I am forced to stop working on it!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:02pm
@ekobor, your tile will wait for you. Take your time this collab does not have a deadline. If it fills up fast we'll be forced to think of a new idea  take your time.

*Everyone, take your time, no hurry. Remember there is a weekly challenge too, k.

Edited by jalonso - 16 September 2010 at 12:06pm
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Jinn

I made a few changes, I think it blends better now.

Nice work Jinn.  I'll try to blend 63 better soon as I have another neighbor.
hehe (ಠ_ಠ ) o_- :p
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by jalonso

@ekobor, your tile will wait for you. Take your time this collab does not have a deadline. If it fills up fast we'll be forced to think of a new idea  take your time.

*Everyone, take your time, no hurry. Remember there is a weekly challenge too, k.

I don't like weekly challenge topics lately. Mechs, monsters, action scenes are ok but plants? 80 y/o people? Isn't this supposed to be fun?

On the other hand here we have one of the best collabs of a few years. ISO collabs are already cool but the ones that you claim 17 tiles at once to make something are pieces glued together rather than a collaboration. This one's theme, palette and tiles all push people to join. I just hope this gets finished in 2 months and we pass onto the next.
IP IP Logged
zch
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:54pm
@Jaker Pot &
@LuckyF, there is this one pillar in the middle of our tiles (59, 66, 74) that is lighted differently than everything else around it. And it is really bothering me right now... So, if it is not against the rules or too much trouble, I think we should change it.

I made a quick edit to better illustrate my point.

So, what do you think?

Edit: Just to make sure that I wont be misunderstood. I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your tiles. I just want to know if you would be willing to alter your tiles a bit, if I alter my tile (that was supposed to be ready) to fix the inconsistency.

Edited by zch - 16 September 2010 at 3:05pm
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Gecimen

I don't like weekly challenge topics lately. Mechs, monsters, action scenes are ok but plants? 80 y/o people? Isn't this supposed to be fun?

On the other hand here we have one of the best collabs of a few years. ISO collabs are already cool but the ones that you claim 17 tiles at once to make something are pieces glued together rather than a collaboration. This one's theme, palette and tiles all push people to join. I just hope this gets finished in 2 months and we pass onto the next.

It's all art man!  I see your point though...Pixeljoint has probably been starving for a good collaboration.  I've been here for almost 2 years now and I haven't seen anything like this (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough..lol).   I was even pushing for a pixelween last year that never happened. 
Although, I suppose anyone could start any project here in the forums if so motivated, but awards, voting organization, moderation, etc would still have to come from the top.
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by dpixel

It's all art man!  I see your point though...Pixeljoint has probably been starving for a good collaboration.  I've been here for almost 2 years now and I haven't seen anything like this (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough..lol).   I was even pushing for a pixelween last year that never happened. 
Although, I suppose anyone could start any project here in the forums if so motivated, but awards, voting organization, moderation, etc would still have to come from the top.

Yes I agree it's all art and I respect everyone that contributes 1px to PJ but...
1- I feel quite old already (and I think many pixellers must be over 30)
2- I do boring work for a living already (and I'm a designer, imagine)
Thus I cant push myself to participate in boring stuff with boring palettes on boring subjects even if I try hard. I know, sometimes people have that moment that they visualize a thought in their minds very intuitively and that's a very precious thing to catch, but it doesn't come out when "challenged". At least not for me.
I don't know other people but I was starving for this. And if I started one, with all my lack of experience, it would suck. I think Jal and other people handled this quite professionally.
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:23pm
"(and I think many pixellers must be over 30)" 
I don't find that at all.  Which is why I feel old on here sometimes.  (older than 30)  lol
And yeah, if you do boring design work for a living, I can see why you'd feel that way.  I might too.

IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by zch

@Jaker Pot &
@LuckyF, there is this one pillar

Yeah that's pretty strange spot. I don't think Jeker Pot will be against a minor edit ) My tile is still an early wip and it can go pretty much everywhere. I just wonder when Rafa will make his move )))
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:34pm

...80 y/o people?...

hey! over 30 are plentiful here.

...here we have one of the best collabs of a few years. ISO collabs are already cool but the ones that you claim 17 tiles at once to make something are pieces glued together rather than a collaboration. This one's theme, palette and tiles all push people to join. I just hope this gets finished in 2 months and we pass onto the next.

Agree with everything but maybe 6 months :p

...Pixeljoint has probably been starving for a good collaboration.  I've been here for almost 2 years now and I haven't seen anything like this...I was even pushing for a pixelween last year that never happened.

Pixelween was a Pixelblink project. It is possible to make a Pixelween v2 but at least I can't handle it this year.

...I suppose anyone could start any project here in the forums if so motivated, but awards, voting organization, moderation, etc would still have to come from the top.

Not true at all if anyone comes up with good idea we can help set it up. We have to put things together because you guys fail to send ideas and be willing to set parameters and stuff. Believe us, we want you guys to come up with stuff.

...I don't know other people but I was starving for this. And if I started one, with all my lack of experience, it would suck. I think Jal and other people handled this quite professionally.

This did take a while to put together and was designed to be fun and motivational for all. I too pixel to break the monotony of the daily Advertising life I lead. This collab was not 100% me the entire PJ staff put their heads together and we even got the palette contest out of it.
We promise to do more of these if this one runs well enough and isn't a huge shore. Maybe another is in the works already.

PJ is a community place for pixelartists. We help run/police/etc but its not just our word everyone gets their say. If challenges have been weak, send your ideas in. If iso is not your thing, what is? Let us know with details and how it will work, we can work together on it. However, a 'make a car collab' isn't enough, we want scale ,colors, rules, exceptions, etc.

Anyhoo, off to make a new tile :)

zch, Lucky, jaker up there makes this all worthwhile. To be clear you cannot pixel into another's tile, you must 'collab'

Edited by jalonso - 16 September 2010 at 4:36pm
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:37pm
@dpixel: dunno, stuff that you do everyday gets boring over time. guess that's how life is.

@luckyf: yeah, I wonder if Rafa will show up.

@jal: for me, the first rule is challenges should have constraints. check previous stuff, the most constrained challenges bring up the most participation (e.g. slime challenge or samurai era, even with those crap pallettes). and the most important is canvas size. one has to know if he's doing a very creative work with 50x50 px canvas size, that another one wont come up with a 800x600 and make his work look puny. same goes for color and narrowness of subjects. a challenge should... well.. challenge people. not like an elementary school homework that tells you what the subject is and lets you free. fun of the subject is another case. can write about that later.

Edited by Gecimen - 16 September 2010 at 4:58pm
IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:47pm

Anyhoo, off to make a new tile :)

I'm guessing you think about 27? I had a good idea for that area, I think. And it will require collaborating )))
A hint - 4 tile technodrome ) 12,19,20, 27. There's lava lake and underground and all.

Agree with everything but maybe 6 months :p

If it will be finished before 2015 that will be cool )))

Edited by LuckyF - 16 September 2010 at 4:51pm
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 5:18pm

...I suppose anyone could start any project here in the forums if so motivated, but awards, voting organization, moderation, etc would still have to come from the top.

Not true at all if anyone comes up with good idea we can help set it up. We have to put things together because you guys fail to send ideas and be willing to set parameters and stuff. Believe us, we want you guys to come up with stuff.

Good to know, but now you'll probably be flooded with them. 
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 5:49pm
Sorry for holding this thing up everyone. I suck. I just can't seem to break through this wall of uncreativity. I've already restarted nine times and THIS is all I can still come up with.

I quit, someone just take my number already. This isn't going anywhere. You just can't force creativity, you either have it or your don't.

Edited by greenraven - 16 September 2010 at 5:50pm
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 5:53pm
Try to add some texture in this ground and pillar, green... No need to quit.
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 5:59pm
@greenraven - maybe try a little Stonehenge thing.  That's what it kind of reminds me of...just an idea.
IP IP Logged
Jaker Pot
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 6:10pm
Of course i totally agree with the pillar change! Jal, do you want me to edit it or can you replace it by zch's one? 
IP IP Logged
ultimaodin
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 7:17pm

I think it's a much improvement. All I want to do is add in a few more people and give a slight clean-up to the ground as the grass is reading as well as it did before without the extra detail.
I'm pretty happy with my wizard/gandolf even if he's 1 or 2 pixels too short. ^_^

Thanks again to Lucky F for pushing me forward with this. =)
(though personally yours still kicks mine's ass)
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 7:24pm
To be honest, i can't see Gandalf ;/
And you are using pure black. But the Balrog is pretty cool, as the background.
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 7:32pm
Tile #65, WIP 1:

Not sure what else to put on the left side...the column is just a filler...

(For a while I thought I'd be funny and write "HELL" above the door :D ...dunno how well that will work, though)

IP IP Logged
UltraDoggy
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 8:03pm
tile 80 please if no one has claimed it yet!
im a beginner so don't expect much and if u don't like
it them someone can make a different tile
but yah tell me if that's okay! hope to make a good one ^-^
IP IP Logged
Jaker Pot
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by DawnBringer

Tile #65, WIP 1:

Not sure what else to put on the left side...the column is just a filler...

(For a while I thought I'd be funny and write "HELL" above the door :D ...dunno how well that will work, though)

Maybe 'Cerberus' would work out better ;)
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 8:37pm
"Maybe 'Cerberus' would work out better ;)"

Haha, didn't think of that one...perhaps I can try to write "Hades". Think I will go with Cerberus for the creature...so I guess two more pair of eyes is needed...
IP IP Logged
Dr D
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:38pm
41 please, dawg
IP IP Logged
Justincrdibl
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:58pm
Finally got around to posting a WIP. I've been so overwhelmed with college stuff lately and all my attempts at making a decent tile have been rubbish so far.
(57)
Obviously, it's still very much in WIP stage. I might change a bunch of things around
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 11:09pm
@UltraDoggy+ DD: Put you in :)

@ultimaodin: I think that you could make it more readable if you did less single-pixels; more clusters. Maybe outlines too?

@green: don't give up :D I agree with Jinn; texture what ya got. I think the shadows need to go straight to the left though, in stead of the iso angle ya got atm.
IP IP Logged
Night
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 16 September 2010 at 11:25pm
Can I have number 40?
IP IP Logged
Zenobia
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 1:25am
Absolutely love the gate DawnBringer! The colours in the 'roof' are wonderful.

(P.S. I'll get around to editing my tile... eventually.)
IP IP Logged
WigglyWoo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 1:53am
Any suggestions on which one i should use for 71?

IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 3:08am
 I like first one better)
Also I thought something is missing, so added a couple of small details) Check it out .

IP IP Logged
Club Beuker
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 3:09am
Did someone already claim no. 43? If not, I'll take it..
Without me, it's just aweso
IP IP Logged
WigglyWoo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 3:21am
Originally posted by LuckyF

I like first one better)Also I thought something is missing, so added a couple of small details) Check it out .
Originally posted by Wiggly Woo

I think you hit the nail on the head, I was so caught up trying to make that fossil somehow come out of the ground to make its on stair way, But this idea you have maes more sense.TY
IP IP Logged
ultimaodin
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:15am

My submission Anything I change won't affect the borders for other people to mess with adjacent tiles.

I think I improved the wizard supposed to be Gandolf character.
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 5:38am

...I'm guessing you think about 27? I had a good idea for that area, I think. And it will require collaborating )))
A hint - 4 tile technodrome ) 12,19,20, 27. There's lava lake and underground and all.

Yes tile 27. This is a great idea and if 3 others want to work on that I'm game. I was thinking of making a glass observation deck but both could be mixed. Having a big circle in the piece will really be nice.
Originally posted by Jaker Pot

...Of course i totally agree with the pillar change! Jal, do you want me to edit it or can you replace it by zch's one? 

Not sure I understand you there :| If zch, LuckyF and you agree to edit your tiles so the 3 seam better this is great. I just think nobody should jump into other's tile. Everyone should edit/correct the area in their own tile.
Originally posted by DawnBringer

Beautiful tile. The roof tiles seem really, really big scale wise and the steps kinda puny. Since you destroyed all the pillars maybe the corner of the building can have a little piece broken off? On the corner, maybe leave it vague enough for your neighbor to feed off.
Originally posted by Justincrdibl

...I might change a bunch of things around...

Looking nice, The house seems out of scale, should be a bit bigger, me thinks. Got a kick out of you using that cheat-cheat palette >.<
Originally posted by Ultradoggy

...so don't expect much and if u don't like
it them someone can make a different tile...

Rule #1 - Everyone at any level is encouraged to collaborate...the way its going others WILL make suggestions ;)

@green, >:(
IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 5:51am

Yes tile 27. This is a great idea and if 3 others want to work on that I'm game. I was thinking of making a glass observation deck but both could be mixed. Having a big circle in the piece will really be nice.

So we need 2 more people then and start collaborating )

Not sure I understand you there :| If zch, LuckyF and you agree to edit your tiles so the 3 seam better this is great. I just think nobody should jump into other's tile. Everyone should edit/correct the area in their own tile.

I think it's kinda the point of this activity everyone can suggest changes to the tile, but actual changes should be done by whoever did the tile.
IP IP Logged
WigglyWoo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 6:04am
So, we have King Kong, MK, Mario Bro.s, Jaws, the sand worm from beetle Juice... Am I allowed to do a scene from SuperMan in his Crystal Cavern? Also, is my tile 71 approved?

Edited by WigglyWoo - 17 September 2010 at 6:05am
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 6:20am
I'd like to update #63 so it blends better with Jinn's #55

Edited by dpixel - 23 September 2010 at 6:12pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 6:52am
@WigglyWoo, your tile has been reserved. Seemed you are still working/deciding on a few things so its not added yet.

@dpixel, just missed it, I'll add your update on the next upadate :)

@LuckyF, Is this the general shape layout(below left)? Edit/add layout lines if not.

@Jinn, You do not have to edit your tile, its fine!
For any future iso pixelart I give you this tip. When making floors that are free-form it is always best to start with a true iso grid and place the first few pieces ON the grid and the rest wherever you want. I find that if you don't leave a little bit of the grid in the floor you get a weird angle to the floor and makes everything seem off. The more any iso piece 'breaks the grid', the more of this you have to do. Image on the right is my edit of your floor as an example of what I mean. I left iso lines much stronger just so you see them. Notice DawnBringer's and my tile below to see freeform floors but some iso lines left behind so it reads iso.

Edited by jalonso - 17 September 2010 at 7:00am
IP IP Logged
UltraDoggy
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 7:18am
thanks jeremy
srryz if i spelled that wrong D:
ill b workin on it 2night
have it up probably by 2night

IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by greenraven

I quit

I kinda liked the dude in the middle, to bad your quitting you could make something out of what you have. Here's really extensive sloppy edit of your tile and some thoughts behind it. Just an example of where you can take pieces if you don't quit on them instantly)

So I see this little Indian looking dude here. Other than that there's not much in the pic.
 So it looks like this guy have some intensive light source in front of him and keeping the whole underground theme in mind.

And then slap some stuff on top of that general idea and you have yourself an underground tile )

It doesn't mean you have to do it like this. Just a way to get something done without getting stuck immediately.
 Anyway if you are forcing yourself to do something you don't want, then you should quit.

@Jalonso
That's exactly what I had in mind ))

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:03am

That's exactly what I had in mind ))

I'll work on my tile (27) and post a WIP starting point to entice others as a possible mini 4-tile collab. If nobody joins then I'll ditch it, I don't like one person making neighboring tiles generally.
IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:06am

I'll work on my tile (27) and post a WIP starting point to entice others as a possible mini 4-tile collab. If nobody joins then I'll ditch it, I don't like one person making neighboring tiles generally.

I'll take either 19 or 20 (probably 20).

Edited by LuckyF - 17 September 2010 at 8:06am
IP IP Logged
zch
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:17am
(74)
Here's a new version where the pillars lighting should be consistent with all the other rocks around it... The bottom part is in the shadow of all the stuff that will be in tile 67 so it's darker.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:23am
@LuckyF, maybe its wise for you to pose your technodrome vision section(20) with freedom, roughly, mostly colors, lighting and look and feel. I do the same on mine and we post our 'gut-vision'. We post at the same time to see if we happen to be on the same wavelength, if not we can then negotiate from there, but at least we keep creative independence. yes/no?
Of course if 4 did this the final would be crazy good.

@zch, maybe throw some water's edge highlight while revisiting???. See Reo's tile.

Edited by jalonso - 17 September 2010 at 8:24am
IP IP Logged
LuckyF
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:26am
 Good idea, I'll post it a bit later.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:27am
But don't post before I post, k. We post at the same time.
IP IP Logged
zch
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 8:29am

@zch, maybe throw some water's edge highlight while revisiting???. See Reo's tile.

I was actually thinking the very same thing yesterday, but somehow I totally forgot to actually do it, when I altered my tile today... oh well... I'll see what I can do and submit a new version soon.

Edit: updated water

Edited by zch - 17 September 2010 at 8:59am
IP IP Logged
Hatch
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 September 2010 at 9:56am
So many awesome pieces so far, and DawnBringer's palette is looking great. Congrats everyone.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 32 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version