Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Job Offerings
Message Icon Topic: GRIEVANCES + COMPLAINTS Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
TonyNieh
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote TonyNieh Replybullet Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:14am
God, I wish I had checked this list. Scammed out of $100 dollars by Joshua Astorian.
IP IP Logged
Papermoon
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Papermoon Replybullet Posted: 04 December 2018 at 2:01pm
name of the client: Atomix ( J. Mathurin ) mathurin_jonathan@yahoo.com
case:
Explained my price list and '50% advance payment' conditions to him. We agreed on a commission and I delivered the sprite-set, exactly following his very specific instructions (Altering an existing sprite).
He wasn't entirely satisfied, so I made some free edits.
He still stated he was not satisfied and that he now wanted something else / new instead.
(At this point I had a feeling he was trolling me but...) I made one view of the new sprite-set from scratch (as his new instruction was) and showed it to him. He still wasn't satisfied.
I suggested him to find a pixel artist more fitting for his taste then and dropped the claim to the 2nd 50% payment.

NOPE. He wants ALL the money refunded.

He also claimed he already had "problems with prior pixel artists / spriters" ... yeah I can see why.

I do not recommend working for that guy. More trouble than he pays for.
IP IP Logged
Hulle
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Hulle Replybullet Posted: 05 February 2020 at 1:40pm
I hired Dante Wonman (Tran Dieu), to make a mockup for me. (6/12-2019). I payed 100$ upfront.
After recieving the money, two times he told me art was on it's way, but only after I  contacted him, several days after he told me: "he would have something to show me tomorrow" (9/12-2019 + 14/12-2019).

Then I heard nothing from him in 20 days. I told him I would make a dispute through Paypal. He then got back to me, said he was sorry and would accept giving me a refund. (4/1-2020)

I have tried further to reach out through Skype after that, but he does not respond. There was never any refund. Paypal got involved and solved the matter.

I have not heard from Dante Wonman since.
IP IP Logged
pixelFunBR
Seaman
Seaman

Quote pixelFunBR Replybullet Posted: 28 April 2020 at 6:00pm
Hi guys! Just exposing someone here that has a completely unprofessional attitude and I suggest you guys avoid...

avidanimefun posted a NSFW job here and we were discussing rates and stuff.. he proposed a really small price (which is not a problem, if we do not accept that, just don't work and fine). But I insisted in the negotiations, and as we were discussing rates he just snapped, said I was probably trying to take advantage like the other artists (he probably had arguments with a lot of artists before) and started saying he knows someone who is way better than me and charges way less..

So I just blocked him to avoid more stress...

Anyway, just needed to expose this and leave as a warning for you lol
IP IP Logged
maruki
Seaman
Seaman

Quote maruki Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:59am
Originally posted by pixelFunBR

Hi guys! Just exposing someone here that has a completely unprofessional attitude and I suggest you guys avoid...

avidanimefun posted a NSFW job here and we were discussing rates and stuff.. he proposed a really small price (which is not a problem, if we do not accept that, just don't work and fine). But I insisted in the negotiations, and as we were discussing rates he just snapped, said I was probably trying to take advantage like the other artists (he probably had arguments with a lot of artists before) and started saying he knows someone who is way better than me and charges way less..

So I just blocked him to avoid more stress...

Anyway, just needed to expose this and leave as a warning for you lol

I absolutely second this information.
I have contacted this client avidanimefan (here's the thread on this forum, but I reached him out over pixelation.org), and after a brief negotiation (in which he absolutely had to bring in another person's conversation into so fill their argument that they shouldn't pay upfront, which I found weird, but ok) we agreed to work in small portions, the client would pay me 2 or 3 hours, I would work such time, and so on a so forth. They payed me for 3 hours upfront.
However, after the first 3 hours of work (which were almost 4, but okay), of constant work, back and forth, the client giving me feedback in real time, saying it was "good", "fine", "3 pixels less", "6 pixels more", etc, they came up to me with the following message:

Why did I take this job: given the current pandemic situation, work was difficult to come by, and issues in my personal life plus the suspension of projects I was in led me to look for other gigs - given that with this client I'd have a decent load of work, 20$/hr was not that low (my highest rate having been 30$/hr for this kind of job).
I showed the message to friends and they told me that it looked like a sort of scam - the client tries to belittle the artist and play the "competition" and "lack of self-confidence" card (which is common on artists, specially beginners and intermediates). This kind of play is meant to trigger the artist into discussing the job with the client, and the client is going to push more work than agreed initially, WITHOUT sending in more money. Some people even argued that the client does not have the budget they claim to have, and that they are trying to get 70x70px sprites done for 10$ each or less, and animations done for 5$ or less, regardless of the quantity of frames.

I'm posting this to warn other artists - as I said on twitter and on facebook, I fear that beginners are convinced by this gaslighting into working for really really low wages, so I fear from them!! I received reports that this client has done this before, and that other clients are doing THE VERY SAME, not only with pixel artists, with character designes, logo designers and concept artists as well! Beware, stay safe!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version