Job Offerings
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Job Offerings
Message Icon Topic: fun game(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Flip Industries
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: fun game
    Posted: 27 April 2012 at 7:48am

game link

Edited by Flip Industries - 28 April 2012 at 10:38am
IP IP Logged
Chesu
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 27 April 2012 at 3:41pm
At first I was quite interested in working with Flip Industries, as they seem to have a proven track record for completing games (which is important to artists considering working with amateur game makers), but after just a small amount of research, I can't help but reveal the facts regarding their practices to my fellow Pixel Joint members to consider. In short, Flip Industries steals their resources.

First of all, the maps used in Super Kid Icarus were not created by anyone involved with Flip Industries; in fact, they used the maps without the creator's consent and without due credit, and went on to deny these facts when faced with them. Further details can be found in the article linked below.

http://vgmaps.com/Reviews/Editorial-DidFlipIndustriesReallyCreateSuperKidIcarus.htm

In addition to this, all of the art used on the Super Kid Icarus pages linked in the post above appears to have been taken from deviantArt without the artists' permission. While I'm not entirely certain whether Flip Industries had permission to use these pieces, I have been unable to find evidence that they do, and intend to contact the original artists. Linked below are the pages which use the art, and the source of the artwork used.

Use   Source

Use   Source

Use   Source

Use   Source (note: apparently the forum censors perceived expletives, please replace the * in the URL with an i)

The first three images can be found by searching deviantArt for "kid icarus chibi pit", while the last is a 'chibi' version of Pluto, a character from the anime/manga series Kurosh*tsuji. The artist that created it is a Kid Icarus fan, known to create pieces featuring Pit; this image was likely found while browsing their gallery after searching for Kid Icarus fan art.

While I won't outright tell you not to work with Flip Industries, as artists I'm sure you all understand how serious this matter is. Please exercise caution if you intend to work with them.

edit: Flip Industries has now removed the content of their original post and replaced it with a Rick Roll, apparently abandoning hope of finding an artist here after reading this post. Unfortunately, I don't know how to deal with people this immature, so it's unlikely that they will be convinced to remove the stolen artwork from their site, or to properly credit those who made the maps and music used in their game.

edit 2: While I had assumed that the rest of the artwork on the site was official Kid Icarus material, given the quality, I decided that looking into it couldn't hurt. In doing so, I've found that essentially every resource associated with Super Kid Icarus was used without permission.

Use   Source

Use   Source

All enemies found in the Enemy Guide are taken from an unrelated Kid Icarus fan project created by Niklas Jansson. The exception to this is the Monolith, which is taken from the original Kid Icarus game manual. The image of Palutena seen here is also taken from this fan project.

The page separator seen here consists of designs for a 'Celtic heart' tattoo (source here) and a 'tribal attraction band' tattoo (source here). While tattoo designs are generally free to use, I just thought it was something interesting, and finding the source was easy enough. It's extremely likely that the curly clouds used both on the site and in the game are used without permission, though I was unable to locate a source on them.

The sound effects used in the game seem to be mainly from Genesis and arcade games, as is typical of this kind of fan game. The music, on the other hand, clearly consists of fan-made Kid Icarus pieces; at this point, I'm confident that they were used without permission.

Edited by Chesu - 28 April 2012 at 5:58pm
IP IP Logged
TimBuxton
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 29 April 2012 at 12:55pm
Hello there Chesu. I signed up for this forum just to talk at ya.

Look, I am a HUGE fan of the game and they don't get any money for the hard work and look for support points to continue the game.

Here is what I need to say, if your little post in any way makes it so the game stope being worked on, gets cancelled or ever worse is taken offline, I WILL BE VERY FRUIOUS WITH YOU!!!!!!! Based on what I hvae seen I am not the only fan and you will upset many people and be known as fan game killer.

I AM SO SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!!!! STOP YOUR CR4P NOW!!!!!
IP IP Logged
Marina
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 29 April 2012 at 1:31pm
IP IP Logged
Matwek
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 29 April 2012 at 2:03pm
Ha brilliant tactic.
"I'll just post in this forum as another member, that ought to draw attention away from all the work I've been stealing"

Edited by Matwek - 29 April 2012 at 2:03pm
IP IP Logged
Chesu
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 29 April 2012 at 2:26pm
In the event that Tim is a real person, and got here via my post on the Super Kid Icarus comments page... Well, let me break it down.

1) I don't have a problem with Super Kid Icarus, it's a good idea. The problem is that everything I said is true; the guy who made the game is a scumbag. If he had just said "okay, yeah, credit where credit is due", it would have been fine. Unfortunately, he's actively trying to hide these facts, making him a thief and a liar.

2) Believe me, nothing I can say will get the game taken down. It's wrong of him to use these resources without permission, and people can complain, but every single piece of stolen content he used is a fan work; as the people who created them don't have intellectual property rights to the characters/music, they can't claim copyright, and Scummy McFlip isn't making any money on the game. Legally, there isn't anything the content creators can do, even if they don't want him using their work. As for "support points", it's pretty obvious that this guy's tactic is plugging his ears and ignoring anything bad said about him. I severely doubt he'll lose heart over this.

3) The game WILL likely get taken down within the next few months, completely unrelated to this post. Nintendo is always very quick to shut down large fan projects of this nature.

Also, it should be noted that when I uncovered new information, I edited it into my existing post, rather than posting a second time. By creating new posts, you're bumping this thread up, allowing more people to see the truth. Thanks for helping the cause, Tim!

Edited by Chesu - 30 April 2012 at 2:38am
IP IP Logged
TimBuxton
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 30 April 2012 at 11:55am
Lol.... You must be right that I work for them, after all everyone who has a diff view then you must work for them. Makes perfect sense, you are SMRT.

I won't be doin more msgs cause this is becoming pretty spamish and has a rickroll....

I don't give two poo poos about the hours of your life you wasted with postings. I LIKE THE GAME AND WANT TO KEEP PLAYING IT AND WILL KEEP PLAYING. So this is my last msg and if the game stops dev or disapears congrats you will have become my sworn enemy and I will spend a great deal of time doing what I can to mnake your life unpleasent.

Don't be a fan game killer bro, game has been demanded for years and finally it exists.

Later hater!
IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 30 April 2012 at 12:45pm
You know, Tim, us mods can see under which IP address user accounts and forum posts are made. We may not be able to tell whether you work for Flip Industries, but we do know that you are - somehow - on the same network as the OP.

Art theft is a serious issue in the pixel art scene especially, so I'm glad Chesu took the time to write that post. Shame on you, Tim. Or whatever your name is. Thread closed.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version