Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : OPP
Message Icon Topic: Jungle set Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:47pm
@Jim looking at your tree, I notice the background leaves could be used as a general background for the whole area. I'll try something with your style if you don't mind.

----------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hapiel

Todo list:
Tree (trunk, branches, leaves)
Grassland: Bottom tiles & slopes
Mayan/Aztec Temple: Blocks, doors, stairs, symbols
Spike pits (no platformer is complete without them), perhaps some thorns or spears
Monsters (very important). Death, attack, idle, walking
Background objects: Multi tile plants/flowers

Idea list (thank you Ellian!)
- Skulls
- Flowers, carnivorous flower (could be a monster?), giant plants (thinking Rafflesia style, not a tiny little flower but more like giant kinds; may be platforms?)
- Bees (background animated tiny ones) / giant bees (monsters)
- Exotic birds (parrots, toucan...)
- Adventurer camp (campfire, tents, clothes hanging, jungle helmet, crates, metal cooking ustensils...)
- Native camp (spears, decorative skulls, fences, straw huts...)
- Magic altars (giant engraved rock slabs, skulls (I love skulls okay?), voodoo-type magical artifacts...)
- Water (ponds, poisonous water, swamp, mud, piranhas (monsters, again!)...)
- Ladders, objects to climb or hang on to
- Crocodiles and gators!
- Snakes (background animated tiny ones) / giant snakes (monsters)
- Frogs (background animated tiny ones) / giant poisonous frogs (monster)
- Monkeys! (think chimpanzee, mandrills, gorillas...)
- Spiders (background animated tiny ones) / giant spiders (monster)
- Sloths, because sloths are like the coolest animals in the entire world.

Edited by Numberplay - 29 May 2013 at 4:21pm
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 2:51pm
Go ahead man. I've got a more resent one with the leaves that I am currently working on if you want.

Also, new page. Maybe the person with the first comment on a page should copy over the "to do" list and all of Ellian's ideas?

Edit:
Progress? A bit inconsistent in places, but I won't fixit until I get sleep

NP, Will this help?

That's not a tile-set lol, just the layer behind the tree. But it's better than nothing right.

Edited by Jim16 - 29 May 2013 at 4:03pm
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:08pm
Tent update, and a few tiles for a hollow log.

I'm not sure which log would fit the style better. I know that it's supposed to be a bit more cartoony, but which one fits better?
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:18pm
I would love to see moss (similar to the grass) on that hollow log for the jungle aspect. Also go for the left one without texture but break the straight shade.

Thanks Jim for the idea of editing my post. Did it like you asked.

Edited by Numberplay - 29 May 2013 at 5:01pm
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:54pm
Guys, your work looks awesome! I love the progress on the tree, the tent is great, and we have the very first animation (frog idle) done :). In the style thread it was decided that animations from now on will run at 8/100 seconds per frame (12.5 FPS)

I would like to remind everyone that all everything you post in here gets CC-BY licensed. Would all the contributers be so kind to state somewhere that you agree to this?

And yeah, speaking of top posts on a page, I wish I had double posted at the start and used the second post to collect all artwork...

Also, here is my update on the temple tiles. I will leave them like this for a while until I better know what I want with them, but feel free to take over, add, edit, make suggestions about its functionality etc etc..

IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:03pm

Ok! Here's what I though could work good for the background. I though Jim's leaves lacked a bit of depths. I did 2 modifications to change this.
-Added 1 green color in low quantity.
-put more of the darker blue.

This is what I came up with. I will do more of the tileset but I hope to get C+C before I finish.

@Hap The faces looks weird and funny. I though there would have more serious statues/faces on the temple's rock.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:16pm
NP, I think what we might need for a leave background pattern is a full leave image. The edges around the tree have already been done by Jim anyway (and very nicely in my opinion). However, these could overlap another pattern which could fill up a lot of space around the tree. This would then probably only be 2 colors only (otherwise they distract too much), perhaps two different types (one foreground, one background) and their edge tiles. (so 18 tiles in total, centre, top bottom left right and all diagonals, and that in a dark and in a light version.
That is my suggestion :)
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:50pm
You would mean something like this?

3 colors each, the right one obviously have a darker blue. Which one's your favorite. It's easy to switch anyway. I don't know yet the colors I would pick to do the light version.

Also I count more then 9 tiles for each Don't forget there are inside and outside corners. That would make 13 tiles each.

Edited by Numberplay - 29 May 2013 at 5:52pm
IP IP Logged
skeddles
Commander
Commander

Quote skeddles Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 6:22pm
What up with the furry tree?

IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:30pm

What do you guys think about this. I still need to do the 4 "inside corners" i mentioned earlier. Also I like the darker version better.

Edited by Numberplay - 29 May 2013 at 8:38pm
IP IP Logged
skeddles
Commander
Commander

Quote skeddles Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Numberplay

What do you guys think about this. I still need to do the 4 "inside corners" i mentioned earlier. Also I like the darker version better.

It's too square and smooth. And what's it supposed to be, trees? Why not just draw out a tree and put it in the background? I think when people make tiles they think about them being tiles too much.

--

Anyway, I did some sketches for monsters. I doubt I would be able to finish all of them, so please, if you like one, feel free to adopt it and make it your own, you can change them however

IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by skeddles

What up with the furry tree?

Ok, ok, nope, not sure what to say to you.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't of posted that last image like that, the leaves aren't meant to outline the tree, I just used the trees out line to make sure the tiles, well, tiled. The plan is for those leaves to end up looking like the silhouette of the trees canopy.

It's too square and smooth. And what's it supposed to be, trees? Why not just draw out a tree and put it in the background? I think when people make tiles they think about them being tiles too much.

The reason for the trees being tiled, is so that they can be used as platforms? If we're doing it wrong, you're more than welcome to pave the way though.

I like the creature designs, keep going.Specifically the slug.

Edited by Jim16 - 29 May 2013 at 11:49pm
IP IP Logged
RileyFiery
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote RileyFiery Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:46am
I like the look of the tree Jim. Gives it a unique feeling.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 2:18am
I think skeddles was talking about the leaves pattern, the tree looks perfect as it is.

As for the leaves pattern, I like the right one a lot! And it is a big improvement on the last pattern you posted.

Slug and mosquito are my favorite, keep it up!

IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:57am

It's too squared indeed. I'll change the tiles. It's not that hard of a design to do anyway. I tried to see if it could also be used around Jim's tree. Waiting for his reply.

Edited by Numberplay - 30 May 2013 at 9:08am
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:44am
This looks great! It is indeed hard to not make things look squared..

Noburo, I edited your tent a tiny little bit and added it to the tileset! (see first post). As for the log, maybe something inbetween version one and two? Not no detail at all, but also not a too textured feel to it. Also, as much as I like it when things can be used as tiles, consider if a standalone version might work better so you can give it a bit of perspective.

@skeddles, are you still working on the Golem? I made a slight edit trying to remove some of the details and fix the eyes to be more matching with the style:

I just realize, maybe the golems feet should be given flat bottoms too, to match, or at least be both on the same level?

Edited by Hapiel - 30 May 2013 at 9:47am
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:15am
Another update

Feel free to make a new mashup with these.
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:07pm
I kind of assumed that my posting work to this thread meant that it was for use with the project. So do I agree to the terms and licensing agreement? Umm... yes.

@Hapiel
The tent edit looks definitely has improved the appearance, but it looks like you may have added a couple stray pixels in the process. On the right side of the tent, there are 4 brown pixels in a line.

As far as the log goes, I'm not too happy with the way it's turning out, so I will likely scrap it and start over. As you mentioned, I was trying to make it tileable while at the same time giving it a bit of a dynamic angle, but instead it just looks cloodgy. I may just make 2 different logs.
IP IP Logged
Ellian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ellian Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:06am
That leave/canopy tiles are really nice. Really interesting way to put some depth to the background, I love it!

Here are some more jungle creatures.
The mandrill ain't really good but oh well... Had much fun on the toucans, though.

IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 6:35am
@Noburo
Thanks for noticing, I don't know how I did that.

@Ellian:
A toucan was so much on my wishlist, if noone else had picked it up I would have started it myself! Are you up for animating it? It sits so nicely, it would be great to have creatures that sit down, fly away and sit down again! Or that it is kind of avoiding/following you, but it will only attack if you come too close ;).
If you are not going to animate it I might give it a shot later on.
Oh, yeah, I almost forget my reason for replying in the first place:
I think it can look less like a penguin and more like a toucan!

@Numberplays
Great stuff, I put it in the top post. I could not help but slightly edit it though and removed all the micro leaves which I found distracting and unnessecary.. Do you agree?

Edited by Hapiel - 31 May 2013 at 6:37am
IP IP Logged
Ellian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ellian Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 6:41am
Eh, your edits look great! :D
I wondered about giving it the little drop at the end of the beak, and figured I'd go with something more chubby/cartoonish, but it looks so much better the way you changed it. :D

And just go ahead with animation, I still have to work on that leopard/panther thing that will take days, and I want to fully animate the frog as well.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:38am
I am still not sure about the drop thing. Most important was stretching out the body and raising the level of the beak.
Ill give animating a shot :)

Toucan hops, toucan watches you when you are below or above him. I still need him to schreech, attack and fly.. Flying is going to be hard..

Of course I will export proper files without the bg when done.

Edited by Hapiel - 31 May 2013 at 9:37am
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:43am
I'm really busy at work getting ready for an event until Sunday (putting in extra hours), so don't expect to see much from me until after then.

I love you guys for making a Toucan and animating it! Seriously though, it looks great.<---edit, can't stop looking at that animation, mesmerized.

NP, you don't need my permission, you're doing a great job. Everything you've made so far really outshines the two things in your gallery. Anyway, the way I see it, both leaf tiles will/can be used. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

I did run into a problem with my current leaf tiles when trying to make a tile-set, erm, maybe I shouldn't of conformed to the shape of the tree. This is going to take some major redoing :(

Edited by Jim16 - 31 May 2013 at 11:52am
IP IP Logged
skeddles
Commander
Commander

Quote skeddles Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 3:45pm

I am still not sure about the drop thing. Most important was stretching out the body and raising the level of the beak.Ill give animating a shot :)Toucan hops, toucan watches you when you are below or above him. I still need him to schreech, attack and fly.. Flying is going to be hard.. Of course I will export proper files without the bg when done.

That's the sexiest toucan ever.

IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:20pm

I am still not sure about the drop thing. Most important was stretching out the body and raising the level of the beak.Ill give animating a shot :)Toucan hops, toucan watches you when you are below or above him. I still need him to schreech, attack and fly.. Flying is going to be hard.. Of course I will export proper files without the bg when done.

That's the sexiest toucan ever.

What he said.

And log 2.0

Also, I love these little characters. It may be starting to go a little overboard, but they are so fun to make.
IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:53pm
@Hapiel: Holy crap that looks amazing. I hope I can get up to that level of skill some day.
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2013 at 1:13pm
I love that toucan. Also I don't mind the edit on the leaves I made. I actually like it better like that.

The log looks better like that. I like the version with grass and moss.

For the character, the lines are a bit straight around the head, the back and the legs.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2013 at 7:08pm
Phew, birds are interesting animals! I had some homework to do...

Either way, here is some stuff. Critique is welcome. Flying animation is tested in motion and seems to work quite well!

IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2013 at 8:01pm
I did some quick work trying to find a style for the thorn idea.

But I'm stuck on what shape it should have for it to work with everything we've done so far.
Also going to sleep soon so I might as well tell everyone what've I done tonight in case I find updates tomorrow morning.

Edited by Numberplay - 01 June 2013 at 8:06pm
IP IP Logged
Ellian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ellian Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2013 at 8:29am
Looking good so far, that would make a decent pit trap, right?

You should add a darker outline, mostly on the thorns/upper part of the vine, that'd fit the style a tad more.
Maybe add more contrast overall; thorns aren't exactly a background element, they're more like a gameplay asset, so they probably need to pop out more?
IP IP Logged
||||
Commander
Commander

Quote |||| Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2013 at 6:49pm
Here's another frog meant more for the backgrounds:

UPDATE:

Edited by |||| - 04 June 2013 at 7:19pm
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2013 at 11:55am
The animation doesn't look too bad at all, however I do think that it could look more like a frog than it currently does. Look up some frog references on google images. I think the biggest thing for me is the arch of the back.

Here's an edit I forgot to post.

Edited by Jim16 - 06 June 2013 at 1:18pm
IP IP Logged
Stava
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Stava Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2013 at 4:03pm
Hello!
I tried editing the grass and the bush with flower (I might have made it too detailed ?)

and a climbing thing idea:

Woops! It's a snake!
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 12:01am
Played a bit with some tiles. Not sure if it'll fit the overall style. Oh, and don't mind the character:)

IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 5:09am
@a3um: You're not using the specified Palette
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 5:47am
I knew I've missed something important:( I'll update it later
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 6:30am
Hey A3um, great work! I really like the new base tiles you created, perhaps you could update the old ones and add the new ones, and cut them out as tiles?
Also, make sure to read the style guide, http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16248&PN=1 , it contains all information you need to match the style so far. Outlines, palette etc.

@||||, It's almost floating trough the air! How do you envision it being used? In what way would it be clear that this is not a 'monster' but a background object?

@Jim, I am also really looking forward to a cut out (every tile singular) version of the tree! Even if you can not work on it for now, posting the tree as a tileset will allow to make a new pretty looking mockup from the whole thing together! (and possibly others to work on it)
It is all in the presentation :)

@Stava
Wonderful work! I absolutely love the snake :D
The flower looks visually like an improvement, but I am afraid that it might be too prominent now. Background items should stay background items, right? The grass I made is far from perfect, but you have definitely over detailed that one as well ;).
Oh, it is hard to create something that holds together! Any tips for how I can improve the style guide? Anyone?

At the end of the weekend/monday I will create a new mockup from all the most recent stuff and put it in the front post, the more icons are broken up into tiles (like the snake without the BG), the easier it is to work with for me!

Edited by Hapiel - 06 June 2013 at 6:31am
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 10:46am
I believe you need to link the license on that forum if it's to be used there.
IP IP Logged
||||
Commander
Commander

Quote |||| Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 2:53pm
Jim16: Nice edit on the frog.. much more frog-like than mine.

I'd edit it but Hapiel pointed out that it probably would read as more of a monster/ enemy sprite than a friendly BG char.. but anyway i just made it for fun. I think the movement could be easily edited to not float.. by speeding up the air frames and making the leap shorter. But why would I bother when I could make something actually useful?
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 10:43pm
update with fixed palette

IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 07 June 2013 at 2:18pm
AWESOME.
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:01pm
I love it but sadly it doesn't match the style we chose. I like the way you put vines in the ground.
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 07 June 2013 at 6:02pm
Yeah, I know it doesn't match. I made it for fun/practice, and maybe to illustrate some ideas I have. I can make it fit in no time though:) just tell me what's wrong with it
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Noburo

And log 2.0

Also, I love these little characters. It may be starting to go a little overboard, but they are so fun to make.

I made an edit of the girl in the image below. love the log btw.

I tried to finish some of the characters I started as well as add to what's already been made. My favourite are the forest men.

Please let me know what could be changed or edit these.
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:07pm
Jim, I'll remind you we still don't have usable tiles of your tree. Can you do that before Hapiel comes back?
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:10pm
I might scrap the tree and try and incorporate something more like A3um's tree. We'll see, I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to post tiles of something I'm not proud of (yet) (I'm a bit of a perfectionist :/ ).

Edit: a bit of an update, everything is still WIP, specifically the ones I've just added.

Edited by Jim16 - 08 June 2013 at 3:05pm
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2013 at 9:50am
Originally posted by a3um

Yeah, I know it doesn't match. I made it for fun/practice, and maybe to illustrate some ideas I have. I can make it fit in no time though:) just tell me what's wrong with it

Hey a3um,
Awesome stuff! If you'd be up for fixing it that would be great, otherwise I might give it a shot myself later on! Your ideas are invaluable as well of course :)

I think the flower is best in match right now. That just needs to be cut out and then its done :).
The tree is really cool but would obviously need a finishing touch. Also completely surrounded by outline, and you should notice that there is a floor layer that goes on top of the tree (the top tiles from this: )
The material that would be hidden by this tile would be useful as well in case another top tile is used, or perhaps the tree could overlap the top tiles as the grass tile does on the left tile here. As long as it would be obvious that the player can walk in front of this (the player/monsters stand on the white line in the example above).

I really like your redesign of the rocks on the side of the floor tiles.. If they would be cut out into 32x32 tiles that would be awesome! Also, perhaps the grass needs to be bright on top (as the example), for it to match with what we have so far.

I really like the one color background grass that you have made and put behind the ground tiles.. Those would need to be cut out as well! Oh there is just so much awesomeness in there, and I understand it is a boring job to cut it into tiles but it is just all totally worth it :D

@Jim
Awesome characters! Keep on going :D
As for the tree, I love what you have so far! I envision that your tree would work very well in a place that is more densely forested (together with numberplays leaves), while a3ums tree works great in a more open enviroment with just one tree. Also yours is great for platforms and allows for interesting level creation. I really hope you can find a way to love it as much as we do :D

IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2013 at 10:19pm
Playing with a large-scale concept.
IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2013 at 11:01pm
Just a quick note for you, surt: I created a possible treasure chest design, which you can find in the "General Discussion" thread. Feel free to use it if you want. :)
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2013 at 12:49am
@Hapiel - thanks, I'll fix and cut everything so no worries though it'll take some time. Also feel free to make edits:)

update:
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version