Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 10/21/2013: Jumpk Food Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 10/21/2013: Jumpk Food
    Posted: 21 October 2013 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Jumpk Food

Create a jumping animation of a character based on food. You can make a relevant background if you wish.

Canvas size - Max 100x100.
Colours - Max 14.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Required.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Jumpk Food pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
DatMuffinMan
Commander
Commander

Quote DatMuffinMan Replybullet Posted: 21 October 2013 at 1:16pm
some "spoiled soup." (WIP, of course).

Edited by DatMuffinMan - 22 October 2013 at 7:12pm
IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2013 at 2:22pm

Just neet to color, render, and maybe add some more tweening frames.
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2013 at 8:43pm
ha, these are great. hope there's more in the works.
IP IP Logged
Alex Pang
Commander
Commander

Quote Alex Pang Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 5:46am
IP IP Logged
vampy_09
Seaman
Seaman

Quote vampy_09 Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:27pm
Can I put eyes, mounth etc to my character ?
IP IP Logged
crozier
Commander
Commander

Quote crozier Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:37pm
@vampy_09- I don't see why not. It just has to be based on food, so anything goes really. Adding eyes/mouth/etc shouldn't be against the rules (the phrase "based on" is a little subjective, so I'm not sure what the mods had in mind. But by the seems of things it means anything inspired by?). You could technically do a human in a hamburger suit if you really wanted to (I believe).
And welcome to pixeljoint's forum.

Edited by crozier - 23 October 2013 at 2:37pm
IP IP Logged
vampy_09
Seaman
Seaman

Quote vampy_09 Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 4:45pm
@crozier Hi ! :-)
So, I can put eyes to a hamburger ( taking your example )
IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 6:43pm

Pretty much done, unless people tell me otherwise.
IP IP Logged
crozier
Commander
Commander

Quote crozier Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:48pm
You can do better than that, Mr. Fahrenheit... The concept is good, but it is really really unrefined and lacks shading. The outline is jagged and multiple pixels thick in some places/frames (the outline is even worse on the hand). It's also tough to see what exactly is going on (what is the swinging motion all about?). This doesn't even compare in the slightest to your last two works/ (which have decent colors, shading, AA, smooth animation). Please spend more time on it, mate!
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 10:06pm
yea, what's the deal? Doesn't seem up to par with your ability, fahrenheit.
IP IP Logged
A2J2TIWARI
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote A2J2TIWARI Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2013 at 10:44pm

C&C would be appreciated. If I dont receive it, I'll call it done! :P
IP IP Logged
crozier
Commander
Commander

Quote crozier Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 7:50am
Clean up the outline. Color in the random white pixels in bwtween the fries and cup. Remove the black floating pixel noise. Shade a little-add some depth to the cup, at least. Use better colors- have mild orange or purple tints in the red color, and try experimenting. Your colors are a bit generic and saturated, by the looks of things. Try playing around with light sources. Keep at it!
IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 12:08pm
I guess its is fairly unfinished, Just that I was trying to give it a sort of sketchy look, hand drawn, if you will.

Sort of like this:

Any ideas how to better convey it?
IP IP Logged
DatMuffinMan
Commander
Commander

Quote DatMuffinMan Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 1:06pm
I don't mean to advertise, and I'm not even sure if it's against the rules. But I updated my entry (better AA, etc), and would like some feedback on the new version from those that have not seen it after the update.(Link).
IP IP Logged
Alex Pang
Commander
Commander

Quote Alex Pang Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 2:57pm
update
IP IP Logged
atprises
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote atprises Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:00pm
Hi everyone!
It took me some time to figure out the concept for characters.. I really want to do a trio!! Can I? I think I am done with the char idea and I will proceed to jumping animation..
IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:02pm
What program do people use to animate here? I've been using graphics gale but have yet to buy it, so I am forced to use a few programs and go through hoops just to make an animation.
IP IP Logged
crozier
Commander
Commander

Quote crozier Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:13pm
@atpalicis- Looking good, so far! I'm sure you can. (even if the rules of the challenge are saying only create 1 character, I bet you could convince them the two others are part of the relevant background). You should be fine.

@Mr. Fahrenheit- Personally, I used to use GameMaker 7, but it isn't really available anymore (I know gamemaker studios can't save as gifs, and gamemaker 8 may or may not save as them). Otherwise I have to load every frame in Benetone movie maker in order to save as a [transparent] gif.
As for your piece, you should still fix the outline. I, personally, would anthropomorphize the doughnut. Give it crazy surprised emoticon like eyes, or something along those lines. My advice to you would be to make things more charismatic. And an idle animation (before the hand arrives) would be a good way to go, in my opinion. Have it just float there and blink (or wait or something interesting). You gotta set the stage, and perhaps make it more cute/funny/outlandish/creepy/etc. Its boring, right now, but there is still a bit of potential.

@Alex Pang- Not bad, not bad... I like the water drops that fly everywhere.

Edited by crozier - 24 October 2013 at 3:15pm
IP IP Logged
atprises
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote atprises Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:26pm
@Mr. Fahrenheit I use photoshop for animation (i use photoshop for everything) because it's only 1 program but it's almost universal!

@Alex Pang be careful because I've asked if we can do drinks for this challenge and the mod said "no" exception is for soups only :( I wanted to do milk or tea that's why I've asked about drinks.

@crozier thanks! It's the same base for a character.. 3 look cuter than 1! lol
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by DatMuffinMan

I don't mean to advertise, and I'm not even sure if it's against the rules. But I updated my entry (better AA, etc), and would like some feedback on the new version from those that have not seen it after the update.(Link).

You are good. If you don't promote yourself who will ;)...just don't ever be harsh or desperate about it (you were not).
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by atpalicis

Hi everyone!
It took me some time to figure out the concept for characters.. I really want to do a trio!! Can I? I think I am done with the char idea and I will proceed to jumping animation..

I am totally not getting this week's challenge and will not add any for the week to be safe but I think its supposed to be just food not humanoid??? since that's where everyone is going so some Mod must have mentioned this???
IP IP Logged
crozier
Commander
Commander

Quote crozier Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:24pm
@Jal- it just says "based on food", and those are obviously "based on" food. Right?
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:54pm
considering the amount of entries, I wouldn't personally fuss over little things which may or may not fit the rules.. I think everyone is being creative enough.

IP IP Logged
FireWheeZ
Seaman
Seaman

Quote FireWheeZ Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 1:27am

Edited by FireWheeZ - 26 October 2013 at 4:44am
IP IP Logged
atprises
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote atprises Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by jalonso

I am totally not getting this week's challenge and will not add any for the week to be safe but I think its supposed to be just food not humanoid??? since that's where everyone is going so some Mod must have mentioned this???

To be honest I'm not getting the challenge on 100% as well.. but I think my characters are 'based on food', right? I don't know what to do. Should I continue or do something else? I'm confused so please help me..
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 6:25am
@atpalicis, no please continue. I will ask the challenge chief of the week to reply here so all are clear. My concern with your piece was more that it looked like a person wearing a food hat/mask instead of the piece being a food.
IP IP Logged
Kyata
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kyata Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Mr.Fahrenheit

What program do people use to animate here? I've been using graphics gale but have yet to buy it, so I am forced to use a few programs and go through hoops just to make an animation.

I use Animaki. It's free. I'm the only pixel artist using that one sadly, but it's designed for pixel animations! And I have contact with the developer, so if you have suggestions I can forward it to him, maybe they will be used.

Edited by Kyata - 25 October 2013 at 7:08am
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Kyata

...I use Animaki. It's free. I'm the only pixel artist using that one sadly, but it's designed for pixel animations! And I have contact with the developer, so if you have suggestions I can forward it to him, maybe they will be used.

Forgot I downloaded to test and review Animaki :(
IP IP Logged
tesi_antitesi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote tesi_antitesi Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 6:14pm
Hi to everyone! This is going my first challenge and thing that i post here on Pixeljoint, if i'll finish it in time. Palette (who is a big problem for me) is just a placeholder atm.
I'm very open to critique, because it seems a bit too messy and maybe head too complicated?

And should i add some interpolation inbetween?
change position of arms? argh.

I'm usually an illustrator but i make some pixel sometimes: http://karmaditesla.blogspot.it/search/label/gif
http://canemarcio.blogspot.it/2013/03/tesiantitesi-i-cattivi-maestri-sono.html
(I hope those link doesn't break any law in this forum)

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 7:27pm
@tesi_antitesi, Oh noes! what does interpolation mean to you. That's normally a very bad thing.
If you have not seen it yet review cure's pixelart thread/tutorial in the resource section.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

What you have shown we do not think of as pixelart because of the dirty line quality and because the pattern on the chest suggests CGd artifacts.

Edited by jalonso - 25 October 2013 at 7:28pm
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2013 at 9:01pm

What you have shown we do not think of as pixelart because of the dirty line quality and because the pattern on the chest suggests CGd artifacts.

I disagree..
and who is this "we"?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 6:47am

Originally posted by atpalicis

Hi everyone!

Turns out the challenge managers of the week think you've got the rules and spirit of the challenge best of all entries so far...carry on.
IP IP Logged
atprises
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote atprises Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 8:07am
@Jal, whew!! Now I can finally draw animation. Thank you for taking time to clarify the rules!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 11:14am
Originally posted by AlexHW

I disagree..and who is this "we"?

The gallery/challenge Mods and the voting PJers.
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 12:17pm

Can I get a list of their names? both the mods and the PJers.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 3:08pm

Can I get a list of their names? both the mods and the PJers.

All PJers can vote in the public queue on every piece waiting to be added. This is very important to us when adding anything to the gallery. No one here is an expert in all aspects of pixelart so we take that seriously. The current Mod/Admin list is in the resource section always updated. First on the list 'Moderator Roll Call!'
Knowing PJ well enough that piece in question will get mostly no votes because the artifacts in the belly and the extremely dirty/oekaki lines is just something not well received because it goes against having control on the pixel level.

Edited by jalonso - 26 October 2013 at 3:09pm
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 6:02pm
okay, makes sense.. The way you jumped to conclusions though about how his artwork wasn't pixel-art made me feel a bit shocked since he noted it wasn't finished and that it was messy. I also don't understand how you could mistake the messiness on the chest for CGd artifacts when it's obviously just a loose dithering pattern.
btw, are you somehow suggesting that an unfinished piece isn't pixel-art simply because it is messy?
When is an oil painting considered an oil painting?..

I'm bringing up all this because it's important to understand how what you say might effect others. The way you posted could turn off a lot of people who might be trying to learn how to make pixel-art.

Edited by AlexHW - 26 October 2013 at 6:03pm
IP IP Logged
tesi_antitesi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote tesi_antitesi Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 5:19am
The response of jalonso was somehow harsh and made me mostly almos dump my work, but ok, the link to the tutorial was good.

Anyway, i've worked the morning on polishing the start, apart from some little tweaks better than this i can't do, so at a negative response i would quit.

Keep in mind that the body is not a dithering pattern but a simulation of the biscuit cone of an icecream.
It's 14 colours, apart from background, so i must ask: is trasparency considered a colour or not?
Thanks.

IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 6:31am
Yes transparency is considered a color
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 7:13am
Originally posted by tesi_antitesi

The response of jalonso was somehow harsh and made me mostly almos dump my wor

I am very sorry as that was not my intention at all. I am always seeking to encourage and share whatever I can to help all.
I sometimes login to PJ to make my 'Mod rounds' and don't always have lots of free time but always want to answer any question. In an attempt to cover everything I sometimes make quick comments that fail.
The idea, concept and layout design of the ice cream is terrific and because off being new to PJ I was just pointing in the right direction because unlike other digital mediums pixelart relies heavily on precision on the pixel level. I had prior to commenting checked out the website/portfolio and was aware of the general creative talent and with such skill I assumed being to the point was a safe thing to do :/
IP IP Logged
tesi_antitesi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote tesi_antitesi Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 10:50am
Ok Jalonso, don't worry for what happened. I understand your tought and tank for the time spent on mine portfolios, the tutorial you linked helped me a bit but didn't wipe out my questions: is the design too detailated? is the animation clumsy?
Because i don't pixel often, and this is totally different from anything 2D i made before. I tried to shade thinking to the light source, but the cream consistance made it tough.
Anyway time passed, i went on, so now it's

if anyone any advice i will take them like gold.

(i will adjust legs in the third and fourth frame and i fear i must add a another one to make the transition less flashing when the head detach and hands opens at the same time, because that is bothering me too much to pass them on)
IP IP Logged
AlexHW
Commander
Commander

Quote AlexHW Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2013 at 12:58pm
the level of detail is good. The more you work on it, the more you'll smooth out the rough bits.
The animation could use more push from the legs. They don't extend enough to suggest kicking off the ground.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version