WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Big WIP: Character Design, etc! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:53am
I've been told on other forums that the lack of vertical movement is distracting and i shouldn't emphasise the breathing so much.

My previous edit was an attempt to bridge both gaps.

A quick edit, with three more units:

I'm not exactly happy with the last three, but i'm having to keep the clusters and armour/clothes relatively simplistic to make them easier to animate.

I don't know if i can vary up the idle animations beyond changing how they hold the weapon be it up, down, on shoulder, etc; I'm sort of hoping the unit's appearance and colour scheme alone would differentiate itself from others.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:25pm
A small update on the stances/idle animation:

Added more chest movement and the second row includes a extra knee movement, just incase the first row doesn't move enough.

Re-did archer animation (no placeholder this time):

And here's a bonus small mock-up, similar to the last one, but now with added "damage taken" animation:

Hopefully the attack now has more of an impact, without the "I'm hit" animation looking too goofy or looking like a dodge.

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2017 at 3:52am
Quick update on the archer, added some extra frames:

Re-did spear/thrusting animation:

First version has more of a slant in the arm before, during and after the attack.

I know I'm re-doing alot of stuff but i just want to improve it.

Edit:

Not really something i'm working on but here have this:

Something i made, whilst practising light/shape and flat colours with a bit of AAing to smooth it out.

I love pixel artists that can lay down flat colours, yet still make their pieces exciting and beautiful without too much AAing, so i wanted to try to emulate that, but i inevitably used too much AA i think. I try to avoid AA as i fear it leads to banding, which i'm desperate to avoid as i don't think it looks good, even when it's necessary to use.

I also think it has alot to do with clusters and making them work with other clusters to create something that is coherent and looks good. I'd love to replicate this but i'm still trying to understand how it works and why it works.

Examples of this include:

Monster(s) By Jiang (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/107244.htm):

Flooded Dungeon by Toxicturn (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/85678.htm):

Resident Evil 2 Demake by Albertov (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/104171.htm):

Autumn Goodness by Beetleking (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/108495.htm):

Gaia Fighter Portrait by Kennethfejer (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/8327.htm):

IP IP Logged
MrHai
Commander
Commander

Quote MrHai Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2017 at 4:22pm
Creating form with flat colors requires understanding of light above all else. This is in my opinion best studied from life by drawing or painting, but I'm sure you can learn lots with pixel art and references as well. Clusters are important in that they must accurately convey shape, but I wouldn't worry about clusters for clusters' sake. Worry about what the 3d shape of the thing you're making is, and how your lighting would interact with it. The trouble with pixel art is that you have to *imply* a lot of things, rather than rendering them outright. You have to simplify the shape, and not necessarily by omitting details, but by deciding what about the shape is the most important to understand it. Take the trees in 'Autumn Goodness' by Beetleking: it's not just a tree-shape with a few leaves to communicate a tree - there's actually no leaves at all, just the implication of leaves.

Regarding the idles: How many pixels are they moving? At that size, you can convey a lot of animation with even just a single pixel of actual movement.
Edit: to be clear, I don't mean how many individual pixels are moving, I mean how many 'lines' is the moving part traveling.
"Work is more fun than fun"
-John Cale
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2017 at 1:24am
Thanks for the comment MrHai, i definitely need to brush up on my lighting knowledge and general shape theory!

As far as i know the lines in which my animations typically tend to travel are 4-5ish.

I'm experimenting with lowering my AA, relying more on flat colours to make units more distinctive.

Hopefully the 2nd column looks distinct enough from the third.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 14 June 2017 at 7:35am
A quick test at re-making a previous thing i did:

Original version next to the new one:

Focused more on movement and limb accuracy. Probably a bit too dancy.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2017 at 5:23am
Tried to re-do two final fantasy 7 enemies:

Original images of both here for comparison: 

I wanted to keep the polyagonal look of them, since i consider it to be an integral part of their design, so i went over them, blocked in the colour and then tried to put my own spin on it. Although i did also change the shape of some of the limbs, body parts, clothing etc.

Went a bit crazy on the shading for the Soldier/MP so toned it down for the bandit.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:11am
I'd recommend rotating the one with the gun so that the gun isn't all in front of his torso. The silhouette is very weak.

The bandit's shading is definitely an improvement. It looks like on the soldier, you followed the original shading too closely, but the original "shading" was just some gradients on the model, not real-time shading. It's an illusion of shadows that only works when the model is tiny, blurry, and animated.

I think the change from teal to intense blue on the soldier isn't very effective, I think the original colours were more effective. You also made his forearm bright yellow and it's the most attention-grabbing part of the sprite. In the original sprite it looks like it should be the same colours as the hands.

The soldier's kneepads and mask seem to be made of a yellow material, but making it brown in your sprite makes it look like the soldier isn't wearing a mask, and has torn trousers instead xP
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2017 at 3:23pm
I forgot to mention i'm giving myself 1-2 hours per one as a sort of challenge i guess to push me out of my comfort zone of doing the same sprites i usually concentrate on and focusing on blocking out the more important details and form of each creature.

The reason for this is browsing through the entirety of this thread, i'm mainly updating/re-hashing older stuff, so i thought i might try to vary it up a bit, plus i'm a massive fan of Final Fantasy 7 and it's enemy designs.

It's also helped me learn a bit, my favourite is the bandit, because it doesn't have too much detail/aaing on it, but it still looks good, even if it's flat.

--------------

Thanks for the comment Eishiya! I've gone back and redid some of the shading and colours for the MP, but you're probably right in advising me to look at it from another angle.

Quick update, with two more added:

--------------

Purple skeleton monster = Gi Specter 2 hours (estimated);

Not happy with this one, but ran out of time before i could concentrate on the cloak/cloth. Also... yeah it's the wrong skin(bone?) colour.

--------------

Grass Monster = Razor Weed 1 and a 1/2 hours (estimated);

I think i got the shape of the "stalk" down, but the blades of grass and legs ended up wrong, i probably should have made them thinner but i was worried about jaggies.

--------------

Green dude with gun = Corneo's Lackey 2 hours (estimated);

Tried to focus more on form than detail. Found the shoes a bit tricky, hopefully the lighting isn't too bad, tried to make it consistant. Messed up the gun and goggles though.

--------------

Monster with yellow highlights = Lifeform: N; 1 and a half hours. (Estimated)

Had difficulty seperating the hair/tail like upper appendege, from the arm.

--------------

Original enemy models:

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 03 July 2017 at 3:42am
Very quick update:

Re-did bandit's shading and colours, changed some of the line work, hopefully it looks better now:

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:07am
I think aside from the legs and feet, it looks worse to me.
You added shadows to his shoulders where there's nothing to cast them (though the original had one such shadow too), lost the big cast shadow from his head (it wasn't great, but could've been reshaped well), and arbitrarily put his arm in shadow where there's no reason that it would get less light. His belly also looks less round, and the chest and belly feel pillow-shaded. The mask also has a lot less of that cool duckbill form to it, and it lacks the big attention-grabbing highlight now.

I also think the darker skin looked pretty good, and allowed the face to be the focal point. How, between the chest being the brightest thing in the image and the mask lacking its highlight, the face is no longer the focal point.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 03 July 2017 at 7:49am
Thanks for the CC Eishiya, will re-do it and update this post once i'm done.

I appreciate getting your input on it, especially the lighting, since it's one of my weakest points.

edit:

Quick update, still working on it, but im wondering if the stomach and chest shading is better? Changed mask as well, hopefully it doesn't look too over the top:

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 06 July 2017 at 5:04am
Updated a 5 others, including the bandit:

Original attempts next to new ones for comparison's sake.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2017 at 6:27am
Put a few more hours into the bandit; I eventually want to submit these but right now i don't think they're high-enough quality to do so:

Changed some of the shadows.
Re-defined the mask. Will re-do if it's too much.
Reduced Shadows on gloves

Lighting/Shading really isn't one of my strong points.

Been reading and looking up tutorials so hopefully it'll help.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 13 July 2017 at 5:36am
Tried to quickly re-do the bandit, without my previous attempt or using a reference as a base:

Sort of gave up near the end, when i realised it looked worse than my previous one. I wanted to at least see if i could potentially doing it, without having to resort to tracing.

I think i need to work on my form and shapes :/ I also think i exagerated his belly too much.

Edit: Did a few more changes to my previous version and have submitted it. I've learnt alot recently, hopefully it shows in it!
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:19pm
Been looking at a lot of small-medium sized characters/sprites on the Pixeljoint Gallery and i am trying to learn from them, so i've started making small changes to my style. Still looking up and learning more about form, light and shapes.

Just a quick bit of art for a concept for a new faction.
IP IP Logged
Knightsunder
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Knightsunder Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2017 at 4:56pm
I think your point of difficulty when it comes to lighting isn't that you don't understand it, it's that you're viewing stuff from the perspective of fairly generic lighting, akin to a camera's flash or similar setup, where there isn't much unlit space, and the shadows are non-existent except for the "picturesque direction". Different types of lighting will vastly change the style and look of the piece, so you have to know what type of light you want to work with. I've always personally had a lot of love for detective stories and dark cyberpunk cities, so the vast majority of my work is in the dark with glowing light sources. Perhaps it'd be good for you to try and find a similar "type" of light, see how it works, look at what it does, and then try applying that to your pieces.

The most difficult shading to apply, in my opinion, is when you're shading something underneath the Sun. Try narrowing down your light to a single source, and you'll have a much easier time grasping the shadows, clusters, etc. After that, add one more, add two in the same place, and slowly but surely move up the ladder.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:45pm
Thanks for the comment Knight; haven't had a lot of time today to practice what I'm learning from the tutorials, but do you mean something like this:

A really quick edit, but just wanted to make sure i was interpreting your comment correctly.
IP IP Logged
Knightsunder
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Knightsunder Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:31pm

This is a little more what I meant. Increasing the contrast might force you to only keep the light in places that it should be. That, or try a little dithering to blend stuff off the further from the direct contact with light that it goes.

Notice how you made the lines of the light source go behind the character; that means that the left thigh would be blocking, via shadow, the right thigh at some point; that's why only the upper half of the right thigh is lit, while the middle section is dim. After the left thigh moves out of shadow-casting position, it resumes on the shin.

To be fair, someone could probably provide a better example than myself, so take this with a grain of salt.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:54am
Thanks again for the response and advice, Knightsabers.

My main goal is to try to apply more accurate lighting/shading to my smaller sprites like below:

There's a slight tilt/slant(?) to my smaller sprites, so i'm guessing the light would still hit the shoulder of the furthest away arm, or at least parts of it, as well as the leg on that side?

IP IP Logged
Knightsunder
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Knightsunder Replybullet Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:39pm
That sprite would have the light reach its far shoulder, yeah. It's facing forward towards the light. In the spear-throwing sprite, the windup for a spear would usually mean the arm is pulled back behind the body along with the far leg, so you have to assume that it goes into the shadow of the main body. Here's a (bad) example from the light source's perspective.

Take note mostly of the far arm and shoulder.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2017 at 7:07am
Thanks for the advice again Knightsabers! I've been doing a bit of traditional art; drawing, so i haven't been able to concentrate on pixels too much as of late, but i've been thinking of trying to variations of some of units i've done, whilst making sure they still look like the "original" one:

They'll mostly be head variations and minor armour changes, but i wanted them to look less boring and different.

Also a very WIP attempt again at idle stances:

Probably still too dancy, any and all advice is welcome!
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2017 at 1:58pm
Tried making a bigger base, alongside some size-appropiate terrain (64x64) tiles:

I realise the bushes and trees are pretty rubbish :/

Also tried animating my previous, smaller, idle animation:

IP IP Logged
Quake
Commander
Commander

Quote Quake Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2017 at 3:37pm
I'd say less bending at the knees for the idle animation. Really good job though. I really like how to do your animations.

For the bases, I'd make them more raised, so they look more like podiums that the men are standing on.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2017 at 2:20pm
Thanks for the comment quake I gave it a go:

A bit exagerated, but something like this right?

Also changed the terrain; hopefully the bushes and trees look serviceable:

Also wondering if the small differences in units make an actual difference and if you can still tell they're supposed to be variations?
IP IP Logged
Quake
Commander
Commander

Quote Quake Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2017 at 4:23pm
Yeah, something like that!

I think it's obvious, but in-game, it'd be more noticeable if they are given different names/stats, etc.

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2017 at 5:39am
So uh, i'm having a bit of an issue, i'd like to use attack animations on map, without having to go to a seperate screen, but i really don't know how i'm going to do attacks that target enemies vertically. I'm really not comfortable at the moment with showing attacks vertically. I guess another reason is also because it doesn't sort of fit with the aesthetic i have at the moment (chess-like pieces).

So i'm stuck with two solutions (at the moment):

1. Stick with the attack animations even if they look weird when striking vertical enemies. Maybe i could temporarily remove all non-attacked enemies when  the animation is shown and colour in the attacked unit in something like red, like i've done in the past?

2. Go back to a previous incarnation of attacking like below, where the pieces collide to show an attack:

It's a lazier, but more practical way of doing things, but i don't want to feel like all of my attempts have been for naught.

I know it's more of a game development thing, but i was wondering if anyone has any advice on it?

I could go down the route of doing different animations for each direction, but i feel that's a bit beyond my ability at the moment.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2017 at 6:56am
I think having animations for the different directions (including diagonally) would be the best solution. Try starting with the diagonal animations, they might teach you things that'll be useful for the vertical ones.

Perhaps the problem you're encountering is that you have a perspective mismatch between your world and your characters, the characters have more of a side view.

I like the bumping animation too, so maybe stick with that for now (but with more appropriate still poses?), and add in actual attach animations when you're ready to make them.

On an unrelated note, for what it's worth, I much prefer the lower-res style. It feels much more appropriate for pieces that look like toys and have simpler animations. The higher-res version doesn't add anything, but has less charm - it feels much more like "I couldn't/didn't want to make this more realistic so I made everything toys" rather than like an intentional aesthetic. I think to make that work, you'd need to use that extra space to emphasise the toy-ness of everything, e.g. by adding seams between "blocks", having some gaps between the ground tiles as if they're been placed imperfectly, showing painting imperfections, plastic mold seams, etc.

In either case, I feel like the idle animations aren't appropriate for this "figures on a base" approach, I think they should have poses representing their attacks (or whatever action defines that unit). Then, if you want to animate them, you can have variations on that - you can still make an idle animation of a "poised to attack" pose, as well as an "oh no I'm hit" animation of it.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2017 at 7:23am
Thanks for the comment Eishiya! My original intention when creating all these pieces wasn't going for a "toy" like appearance/aesthetic i suppose it eventually got to that point, which makes things a bit difficult.

I like the idea and concept of chess-like pieces but also of them having a bit of individuality, at least in regards to idle animations/stances etc, but i'm more than willing to experiment with and without them.

I'm sort of torn between wanting more space for detail but also wanting the same look and charm that the smaller versions have.

Just to say again that i appreciate the critique and advice, especially because i'm not entirely sure what i want from all of this stuff i'm making.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:26am
Something to think about that might help you: What would you do with the extra detail? So far, the big versions don't seem any more detailed than the small ones. And even if there is more detail, what would it add to the experience?
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2017 at 9:10am
You're right that my bigger one's don't really have any extra detail, i suppose the bigger format allows me to define the armour, weapons etc better but it's a big (no pun intended) price to pay.

Tried mashing up both the bump and attack animation into a single attempt:

Only used the most important frames from the attack animation i made earlier. I can slow it down if it's too fast.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2017 at 3:04pm
I think that looks good, but making it a bit slower would look good.
The GBA Fire Emblems are good to look at for animations of this approximate scale and style. More important than the overall speed is the relative speed of the wind-up and of the attack. In FE, you'll find that they devote almost no frames to the attack itself! It's all wind-up and recovery. This makes the attack itself feel fast and strong.

I think you should make their bases thicker. That might also give you room for bigger numbers - as-is, they are really hard to read.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2017 at 4:05pm
Hey thanks for the comment Eishiya, did exactly that. I'm still messing around with the speed of it and i'm still not happy with it, but for now here's something i've been working on as an excuse to review my colour usage:

I mainly attempted to reduce my 30+ colour pallette to a more refined 18. Edit: (forgot to apply it to the bases )

I also tried to settle on a particular type of shading/detail, hopefully it doesn't look too weird.

Edit: Also here's the palette in image form:

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2017 at 4:28pm
I don't think 30+ is a bad colour count for a game like this. I think the more muted look the larger palette allows for the background (allowing the units to stand out better) is more valuable than the lower colour count.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2017 at 4:38pm
Would it be better to use the more limited palette on only the units, to make them stand out better? Or not at all?

I appreciate the advice by the way, I've always had the need to routinely review my palette, changing it as i see other's and what they're doing with theirs. I took some inspiration from the Pico-8's 16bit palette.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 06 September 2017 at 5:27pm
It's less about "limits" in my opinion, more about the specific colours. If you can create a tiny palette that gives you nice background/foreground separation, go for it! Just don't sacrifice readability for the sake of a small colour count. In your edit, I feel you lost some of that separation.

In particular, your new palette feels a bit lacking in the colours the background needs a lot of - greens and browns. You made up for this lack by using other colours, which created a lot of contrast that doesn't add to the piece in my opinion.

And of course, how you use your colours also matters - it could be that your palette's perfectly fine, but because you did a recolour rather than a re-pixel, you might not be using it to its full potential, and you might be juxtaposing colours unintentionally. For example, the dark red path and river edges stand out a lot against the green, but what if you didn't have those red outlines? Perhaps it might work better then.
(I do think you probably need two midtone greens just to avoid the high contrast in the grass though.)
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:38am
Thanks for the response, Eishiya.

I'm going to keep the larger palette, especially for the background, but experiment with the colours, see if i can get more and better usage out of them.

For example during playing around with the limited palette i showed earlier, i found some good combinations that could serve as palettes for wooden items, perhaps even skin:

Edit: Just wanted to explain my thought processes; i've been reading a fair few tutorials about colours and palettes and alot of them recommend hue-shifting so this is just a natural extension of that.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 14 September 2017 at 3:25am
Slight modifications to the animation and timing, as well as frames, hopefully the numbers are easier to read:

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 30 October 2017 at 3:29am
Sorry for the lack of updates as of late, been quite busy at work and a bit burnt from pixel-art as of late.

I'm still trying to solidify the design of the differing units, making them have their own character, but because they all come from the same base it's a tad difficult to make them all individually different. Should i try to change the body type of each or some of them, or does it look better if they have a similar body type?

Small update on the attack animation; reduced the movement of the attacking piece so it doesn't occlude pieces behind it:

I should probably go on a break and do different stuff, at some point maybe to vary it up.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 30 October 2017 at 4:30am
That final fantasy guy appears to be just a robber, hiding his faces behind a cloth mask, which you made look like some kind of nose.
Originally posted by AshCrimson

Tried to quickly re-do the bandit, without my previous attempt or using a reference as a base:

Sort of gave up near the end, when i realised it looked worse than my previous one. I wanted to at least see if i could potentially doing it, without having to resort to tracing.

I think i need to work on my form and shapes :/ I also think i exagerated his belly too much.

Edit: Did a few more changes to my previous version and have submitted it. I've learnt alot recently, hopefully it shows in it!
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 30 October 2017 at 5:01am
Originally posted by snv

That final fantasy guy appears to be just a robber, hiding his faces behind a cloth mask, which you made look like some kind of nose.
Originally posted by AshCrimson

Eishiya said she liked the duck-bill like look of my interpretation so i thought to accentuate it.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 21 November 2017 at 2:14pm
Trying to do a walking animation:

Arms are pretty bad, gonna re-do it at some point but im more interested in whether the legs are okay
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 21 November 2017 at 3:33pm
The legs feel like they're too far apart. Also, when people walk, they put one foot somewhat in front of the other (otherwise there'd be no foot beneath the centre of mass and they'd fall!), but in your animation it looks like the feet are never beneath the center of the body.

The knees look a bit too high up.

Though I always critique your stuff and rarely say anything nice (because I forget or figure you already know what you're doing well xP), I'm always happy to see updates to this thread. Watching your improvement is really inspiring!
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 27 November 2017 at 7:10am
Thanks so much for the comment Eishiya, I always appreciate your feedback!

With your advice in mind here's my (quick!) edit:

I've:
  • Shortened the waist.
  • Reduced space between legs
  • Tried to change where the feet land, so it conforms to what you've said about the centre of mass
  • Moved knees a pixel down.

I'd like to maybe try my hand at a mock-up, be it static or animated, of a side-scrolling game, just to vary things up.

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 9:28am
Just a question, i'm looking at a lot of other people's work, especially stuff that's more simpler (less AAing, more blocks of colour, better clusters)and easier to read but when i attempt it, it looks amateurish or lazy to me and doesn't "click" or work.

I'm not sure if at this stage it's a mental/artist block, if i need to keep revising be it light, anatomy, etc, or if there's anything else i can do but keep on trying. I just don't want to waste people's time or patience trying to grasp something that seems obvious to others.

Edit:

Here's something i quickly made to show what i mean:

Colours could probably be better
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 3:14pm
It's largely a matter of scale and colour.
Smaller pieces can get away with less/no AA, but you tend to make pretty large stuff.
Outlines on complex shapes usually look blocky without AA. You might be looking at smaller or simpler shapes that don't need AA on their outlines or use outlines that are light enough to not need AA, or don't use outlines at all.

Another factor is design. Some shapes and angles just work better without AA than others, and you might not be taking that into account, burdening yourself with shapes and lines that look bad without AA.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 25 December 2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the advice Eishiya!

Made a quick update:

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2018 at 3:02pm
Wanted to see if i could quickly re-do one of my building pieces inthe past, tried keeping it simple since i like that sort of style:

Perspective's a bit messed up though.

Going to try to do more drawing this year as well as more pixelling, been finding it a bit difficult to get the motivation to do it recently though. Also got a few more books and hopefully more time as well.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2018 at 10:41am
Lot's of small, but still important updates in my mock up that i posted a year ago:

I've started to move towards not using black as outline, using a dark colour, such as purple, which tends to be the darkest colour in all my colour ramps.

Compare to older version:

IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2018 at 4:46am
I've become uh, obsessed with palettes, I've been constantly tweeking my colours in an attempt to harmonise and reduce my colour count, with my limit being 32 (including black) colours at most. So i've far i've managed 27 almost halving it:

(old one next to it on the left for comparison's sake)

Here's it in action on a map:

Sorry that it's nothing new, i just feel like if i can improve my knowledge of colour and my palette it'll really help me with my pixel-art
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version