WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: [WIP] Chrono Trigger Sprites Post Reply Post New Topic
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Topic: [WIP] Chrono Trigger Sprites
    Posted: 22 July 2014 at 11:04am
Hi! Originally, I was going to do that 15 day sprite challenge just to change things up, but then I realized that's a lot of sprites...

Instead I decided I'll just do the cast from Chrono Trigger. So far, I've got Chrono, Marle and Robo. Chrono is still not too far along, Marle is almost done and Robo is done, perfected with amazing technique and color. Any critique is welcome!(I doubt you could find anything to critique on Robo, but I guess you could try.)

also:

It's amazing what 3 years can do!

P.S. Every time I try to use the insert image button on the post it comes up with a page that says I don't have permission, then if I post and edit I can use the insert image button... weird.

Edited by Adcrusher - 23 July 2014 at 11:13am
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2014 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Adcrusher

Every time I try to use the insert image button on the post it comes up with a page that says I don't have permission, then if I post and edit I can use the insert image button... weird.

Is this just today or always?
None have mentioned this happening :/
How did you post your images if this happens?
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2014 at 12:45pm
This is bizarre... What was happening was that when I originally hit 'post reply' I would not be able to insert an image, it would give me that error. I would then have to make a post without the image, hit the edit button, and then the insert image button worked. This happened yesterday when I was trying to post an edit, and again when I made this post. But as I'm writing this it allows me to use the insert button without editing a post, which is weird. I don't know, maybe it was a fluke.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2014 at 12:48pm
Lets hope so. PJ is a coding mess as it is.
---
I love to see updated pixels after some time here and yours is great!

You do have to clean up 2014 some still, k.

Edited by jalonso - 22 July 2014 at 12:49pm
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2014 at 9:38pm
Alright, update on Chrono here. Changed the stance and some proportions. Critique is welcome!

Edited by Adcrusher - 23 July 2014 at 11:14am
IP IP Logged
Kinou
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kinou Replybullet Posted: 22 July 2014 at 10:22pm
I like it, Chrono looks way more complete now. I'm not the best spriter though so I can only comment on what looks off. The 2nd ring on the sheath (the one to the right) looks like it is bonded to the sheath, maybe taking one pixel off will make it look better.

Other than that maybe just the dark pixel off on Chrono's right shoe, and the white in the pants? (just cause it looks off to me) and possibly the dark pixel on Marle's left leg on the bottom.

Again, not a pro, you don't have to listen to me :P
But great job!
IP IP Logged
SuperTurnip
Commander
Commander

Quote SuperTurnip Replybullet Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:53pm
Chrono's stance looks a little odd to me. It's as if his lower body is tensing to attack, but his upper body is super relaxed. His arms look like he's putting his hands in his pockets. The rest is just awesome though, and Robo is on par with the work of the greats.
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:22pm
Thanks for the replies!

@ SuperTurnip: I totally see what you mean. Maybe if I had his other hand reaching over to grab the sword or something that would help, but I have a feeling this might need a pretty major rework to fix. I'll start experimenting with that next!
@Kinou: Thanks! I changed the second ring a bit, any better? I'm not quite sure what you mean whenever you mentioned the black near the hip and shoe, there were some stray pixels there but that was just me being messy :). I removed them to clear up any confusion.

Robo is finally getting blocked in. I tried to do a mix between the sprite and the concept art in terms of design. I'm not a giant fan of the concept art for that game, too much anime.

Someone said that Marle's head is too small, but I'm not 100% sure if I agree or not.(it might be me being lazy and not wanting to edit the head) What do you guys think?

Edited by Adcrusher - 26 July 2014 at 12:25pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:23pm
Her head looks ok.
His shoulder do droop a lot tho.
IP IP Logged
Kinou
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kinou Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2014 at 2:15pm
Hey! looking great! The dark pixels around the place were definitely just strays :P but there is that little but on Chrono's right knee, that has white, it seems a bit too glaring and you don't have any other highlights in the picture (aside from the uh, sea green I think on his shirt) Also the ring does look fixed! Well done!

I do have to agree with SuperTurnip, but I chalked that up to artists preference, but your suggested fix would definitely make it look waay better. (and yeah, major rework T_T)

I think the head is fine too, it's about 5.5 heads tall, which is around the same proportions as Chrono's. I always thought Robo was huge, but maybe I'm remember wrong haha.
IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 26 July 2014 at 2:44pm
I love the somewhat-muted color palette (in comparison to the original game), especially your color choices for Marle.
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2014 at 6:17pm
Okay, time for an update!

Detailed out Robo, might of went a little nuts with the dithering...oops. I redid Marles pants, although I'm not so sure about those. They're so puffy and I'm not really sure how to do the folds and wrinkles on those. I didn't really touch Chrono, mainly because I'm scared I'll ruin it(which doesn't make sense because I have save files.) I did lengthen his blade, because I realized at the length he had before it would of been like a short sword instead of a katana, and also moved his shoulder up a bit like jalonso suggested.  Still need to change the stance around.
Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks
-Adcrusher

@Kinou: I think Robo was slightly larger than the rest of them, but I can't imagine he'd be too much bigger due to sprite size restrictions.

Edited by Adcrusher - 01 August 2014 at 9:57pm
IP IP Logged
jtfjtfjtf
Commander
Commander

Quote jtfjtfjtf Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2014 at 9:35am
What kind of material are you going for with Marle's pants? Right now they look like stiff, baggy jeans.
IP IP Logged
Friend
Commander
Commander

Quote Friend Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2014 at 6:57am
This looks amazing. Some how chrono's face doesn't bode with me like Marle's. I also think the rings on his sheath is a bit excessive

Marle's crossbow hand is a bit funky
IP IP Logged
Amorph
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Amorph Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2014 at 9:26pm
These look great! They've got nice designs, and the way you're recycling your (well-chosen) colors is pretty impressive.

I took the liberty of doing an edit and scribbling all over your hard work to see if I could help you with some problems spots.

I think you're overdoing some of the details and thus losing a lot of three-dimensionality. The folds on Marle's pants and shirt, while pleasing to look at by themselves, make her sprite look a lot flatter on the whole. This is something I have trouble with a lot; I can't always tell when to stop adding details. You have to force yourself to remember the forms underneath the detailing.

I also tinkered with some other things that felt off to me: Chrono's right foot (related to what SuperTurnip said); his hair; the shape of his cheek (like Friend mentioned); his left shoulder, which I felt could be pushed up even further, like Jalonso said; and Marle's crossbow arm (which Friend also pointed out). I additionally messed around with the proportions and shading on Robo, but that was more personal preference than anything.

Hopefully something in there is useful to you. I'm looking forward to seeing how these progress!
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 05 August 2014 at 6:42pm
It's update time!

Thanks for the critique everyone!

@Amorph:
Awesome edit! Thanks a lot man, it helped a ton. I didn't really realize how flat Marle's pants looked before, I guess I was looking at it for too long. I hope I fixed it and added some weight to the character.

-New character, Lucca!
-Added shadows
-Changed Marle's crossbow arm, any better?
-Threw in an arm position change on Chrono, maybe have some sort of lightning effect coming out and then some back light on him? I don't know we'll see. I hope that fixes the  upper body looking too relaxed.
-Flipped Marle because when I added the lightning hand it looked like she was watching him or something it was kind of weird.
-Other minor changes to Chrono. Reworked the face a little bit, although it still looks a little weird.
Thanks again guys! Next update, I'll fix up whatever you guys suggest and maybe have some new characters, these are pretty fun to make.

Edited by Adcrusher - 05 August 2014 at 6:50pm
IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 12:14am
Lucca's right hand (left side of the sprite) looks as if it's hanging in mid-air instead of resting on her hip. Dunno if that's the effect you were going for, just pointing out my perception of the sprite. The shoulder for that arm looks a little flat, too.

Everything else looks well-constructed so far. You did a hell of a job on Robo, BTW.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2014 at 3:04am
Great addition! I'd say the best human so far. The others look great but are weak in how the faces are constructed.

Edited by Damian - 06 August 2014 at 3:18am
IP IP Logged
Froste
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Froste Replybullet Posted: 10 August 2014 at 12:57am
Looks nice, but besides Robo, I would not be able to tell who they are unless you told me they were from Chrono Trigger. Crono hair I think needs to be bigger.
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 10 August 2014 at 1:55am
robi is g th e thin is kindw chroniu   not jwos make sndi
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2014 at 12:16pm
Thanks again for the feedback!
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with the ninja turtle thing and other stuff. Also I'm lazy.

Frog is added to the scene!

@StoenStephenT
Thanks! I've been trying to put a wrench or a gun in Luccas hand, but it never turns out right. I'll keep at it, and then maybe it won't look so bizarre that her hand is just floating there.

@Damian
I'd agree, the faces are the worst part. They're so hard when you don't have too many pixels. Honestly, I thought Marles was alright. I tweaked Chrono's a bit, not sure if it helped.

@Froste
Maybe you just aren't a true chrono trigger fan. Haha, kidding aside I was kind of going for a more realistic take on the characters, so I don't know if giving chrono is usual hair would fit.

@Limes. Uh... Something about robo and chrono and...I don't even know...

I also found this article a little bit ago, and holy crap. I mean, just look at his chrono trigger characters, then look at mine. It's depressing. But also inspiring at the same time. I'm not sure what to feel anymore.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Adcrusher - 18 August 2014 at 12:38pm
IP IP Logged
SuperTurnip
Commander
Commander

Quote SuperTurnip Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2014 at 12:50pm
Every new addition gets better and better. Frog's arm (specifically the elbow and wrist) seems a little out of place for the angle the sword is at. Possibly moving the elbow towards the right and changing what angle the arm arrives at the hand at would lessen that effect. It isn't that bad. Lucca and Chrono seem to possess stiff, weightless action figure arms due to the fact they're holding intangible/non-existent objects. Maybe raise Chrono's lighting arm and have him look up to his hand, instead of having him casually stare off into space? A similar thing with Lucca, having the wrench/gun weighing her arm down and matching the diagonal of the arm on her hip. That said, this is all nitpicking. Really good work!
IP IP Logged
Friend
Commander
Commander

Quote Friend Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2014 at 1:03pm
this is shaping up amazingly :D You're amazing

one quick thing I noticed, and may not be a problem-
it seems like chrono has very poor posture in his back and neck.  He either seems to have low confidence or just unhealthy posture.  Then again, it could be part of his more brash personality, but still, he seems either out of it mentally or has low energy or health due to his posture
IP IP Logged
jtfjtfjtf
Commander
Commander

Quote jtfjtfjtf Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2014 at 2:59pm
The guy you linked to is the guy who made me want to pixel my own characters. Don't be intimidated, use it for inspiration! And you're making the characters in your own style which is very cool.
IP IP Logged
Froste
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Froste Replybullet Posted: 19 August 2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Adcrusher

@Froste
Maybe you just aren't a true chrono trigger fan. Haha,
You better watch yourself, LOL
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 1:07pm
Thanks again for your critique everyone! I definitely wouldn't of come this far without your help.

New addition: Ayla

Something feels very wrong about her pose.. I think her arms might be too long? I'm not sure.

@SuperTurnip: I see the conflict you are talking about with the arm. I'm not quite sure how to fix it, someone I talked to before suggested that his arm move closer to his body and foreshorten the bicep, but I don't really want to cover his face with the sword. I did push his elbow out bit, did it help at all?
I raised Chrono's lightning arm, and I think he doesn't look as casual because of it.

@Friend: I didn't know a character who didn't talk the entire game could have a personality. I don't quite see the poor posture that you mentioned, but that's probably because I've been staring at this for too long. I pulled his shoulders back a pixel or two anyway for good measure.

Thanks again everyone, one more character to go!

Edited by Adcrusher - 21 August 2014 at 1:08pm
IP IP Logged
jtfjtfjtf
Commander
Commander

Quote jtfjtfjtf Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 2:50pm
I think Ayala has a less grounded feel about her pose because of the raised heel and the inward turn of the foot. It's like if they were taking a group a photo and they all got into pretty stable poses except Ayala and she's thinking to herself "don't fall over." Her face, hair, and muscular arm do a good job to convey her character.

Chrono's raised arm is awkward. He's kind of doing a half egyptian dance and it also seems like there are scale and perspective problems as well as the shoulder being low.

I'd also say Lucca's left arm is a little confusing. At first I thought her elbow was too high, then I notice her shoulder was raided and her sleeve was falling off the shoulder. Is there a particular reason her arm is shrugged high?
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 2:53pm
hips and ribs in 3 dimensions, or lack of, looks wrong with the new one.I love your colour choices with every character so far, it seems to be one of your strengths.
IP IP Logged
andrae
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote andrae Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 3:33pm
Her navel seems not to be in line with the body. Maybe move it a little to her left. The highlight is too strong IMO. The abs are also flat.

Love the palette especially for the skin.

Edited by andrae - 21 August 2014 at 3:34pm
IP IP Logged
Friend
Commander
Commander

Quote Friend Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 3:33pm
My last critique probably was harmful.  Chrono looks really strange now, kinda like confused girl meme
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2014 at 5:04pm
Oh my lord, Frog is amazing! Only personal crit is that he should be smaller :P

I also think chrono's right arm is a bit too low, might just be me though. These are all looking really awesome.
IP IP Logged
Froste
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Froste Replybullet Posted: 22 August 2014 at 12:39pm
Looking good, cant wait to see Magus

Still think Crono's hair needs to be a bit bigger, that was his key feature. Unless you crono got a hair cut?

Edited by Froste - 22 August 2014 at 12:41pm
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:39pm
Nice work so far!

Looking at the skintones; they appear quite pinkish and redshift into the darker hues (rather than blueshift).

There's a single pixel of color #5 a near duplicate of color #6, under the shoulder of the leftside girl.
IP IP Logged
Froste
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Froste Replybullet Posted: 23 August 2014 at 3:15am
Started looking at details on the others and found that Robo's "backpack" doesn't go all the way down. It is just the cylinder at the top.

Also, his eyes are round.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version