http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2481

Dedicated Pixel Art Program for DS
IP IP Logged
Clint
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Clint Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2008 at 4:35am
Thanks for the program guys, ill be sure to check those out! I mostly i'm using MSpaint right now
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2008 at 1:15pm
http://apps.facebook.com/pixelnation/
A web Based Aplication on Facebook to make some 20x20 pixels.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Admiral
Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2008 at 3:14pm
lol, yup I mad two pieces for it...pity a lot of the stuff submitted there are just natalie/pearl type scribbles
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2008 at 4:34pm
yeah, saw those :p
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
dragonqueen
Seaman
Seaman

Quote dragonqueen Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:51am
Originally posted by sedgemonkey

I thought it'd be fun to have a thread just for pixel art software and the pros and cons of each.  I use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe ImageReady for everything because of the power, but sometimes it's a bit overwhelming.  I'd really like to find a good animation program to replace ImageReady.

Photoshop Pros:
Powerful tools especially for adjusting Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation and everything else in your palette.  "Replace color" is very handy for pixel art. Layers and layer sets help keep things tidy.  Export options are very flexible.  Slices allow some nice workflow options for a single file.  Grids and rulers make it easy to keep pixel art in order. Industry standard software so there's a good chance other designers and illustrators will have it installed.

Photoshop Cons: 
Overly complicated interface. Expensive. Need to adjust settings to make Photoshop appropriate for pixel art.  Sometimes pixels along the borders of images don't respond to eraser or pencil. ImageReady is really hard to work with and you can screw up the whole animation if you're not careful.

I have drawn in Fireworks MX ever since I started pixeling. I actually learned the program in college. It has all the features you mentioned under "Photoshop Pros" and does animation too. It's probably expensive but the best pixel art program I've worked with. I'm not sure how much it costs since I got a discount by purchasing it through my school. ;)
IP IP Logged
kiss_my_chicken
Seaman
Seaman

Quote kiss_my_chicken Replybullet Posted: 16 June 2008 at 1:58pm
ok everyone i need easytoon but in colour (color if ur american) its just im in love with easytoon and i wish it had colour (color if ur american) so if theres a program just the same pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee tell me
IP IP Logged
Amyk13
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Amyk13 Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2008 at 2:26am
Originally posted by neota

Amyk13: That's true. You might prefer to use GIMP-GAP, since it has much easier to use animation, including onionskinning, path movement, and other advanced features. IMO if you're doing an animation of any complexity, it is a better choice, rather than the built-in animation support. If you need to make a GIF animation, you just run 'video->frames to image' when you're satisfied, and then save the resulting image as GIF

(GIMP-GAP is available from www.gimp.org. you can see currently "GIMP Animation Package 2.4.0 Released 2008-01-30" at the bottom of the page,)

Sorry for posting late, but I don't have the GAP because for linux is it complicated to install it...
IP IP Logged
Peach
Commander
Commander

Quote Peach Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:05am
Amyk13: it is not! the readme contained in the archive of GAP is straight if you pick up the tar.gz package: as usual, configure, make and make install. that's it :)
ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.4/gap/
IP IP Logged
Amyk13
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Amyk13 Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:20am
Yes, but my dad prefers rpm's, because a tar.gz file you have to compilate or something like that...
IP IP Logged
Peach
Commander
Commander

Quote Peach Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2008 at 4:16am
Amyk13: there are. just search "gimp gap download " plus the name of your distro. Ususally they are in some repository: redhat, mandriva and so on all those have got they own rpm of gap
IP IP Logged
Amyk13
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Amyk13 Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2008 at 4:51am
I found another version, but i need version 2.4
IP IP Logged
WebPaint
Seaman
Seaman

Quote WebPaint Replybullet Posted: 05 July 2008 at 8:18am
try this:
http://webpaint.x10hosting.com/
A web application for multi-user pixel art painting.

Still under construction, but works great...
IP IP Logged
!CE-9
Seaman
Seaman

Quote !CE-9 Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2008 at 11:09am
Working with Mac, having used Pixen but got fed up with its unreliability, crashes, palette screw-ups. Dayumn. Pixen would be sooo good! I'm such a thread necrophile, but hope someone can help me with some insights, workarounds for the following problems.

Tried GIMP, Elements, Acorn, Paintbrush, but they either aren't seem to be supporting the Wacom Graphire4's "right-click" for a secondary color/tool (Eraser) -- or they just don't (Acorn - it's for context menus). The drivers are the newest.

Elements (6, trial). It seems that I can't put just one pixel down with the Pencil tool - is that right? Also, I couldn't find a way to edit / duplicate color swatches, could it be done, how?

(Actually, I'm looking for something with the following features:
- proper tablet support
- .png support
- use of two colors/tools at the same time
- palette controls
- layers and transparency
- magic wand selection / color replacer
- for Mac.

does anybody know something like this?)

thanks for any help.

EDIT: checked Pixel, ArtRage & Scribbles out. Pixel is neat but also has a problem with pushing single pixels (plus doesn't support the simultaneous use of two colors). Then ArtRage and Scribbles are just not made for pixel art.

That pretty much leaves GIMP and Acorn in the "competition".

Edited by !CE-9 - 11 August 2008 at 12:25pm
IP IP Logged
B2thec
Seaman
Seaman

Quote B2thec Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:12pm
I only use Adobe Imageready. Works like a charm (even though charms actually don't technically work, unless you live in a RPG).
IP IP Logged
Raven Studios
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Raven Studios Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:25pm
Where do I get MS paint?
IP IP Logged
neota
Commander
Commander

Quote neota Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:14pm
You don't.

Your Windows has it.
absolutely.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 03 September 2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Raven Studios

Where do I get MS paint?

mean, if you don't know where is it(and you have a windows operative system) try looking in the folder system32 for the file called MSpaint.

if not there, use your windows instalation CD.

and if you don't know how, you can always google looking for a site. its not that hard to find a download(nor like you can download from microsoft's offical site).

for linux or mac, well, you wont be able to use it(not without some more advanced knowledge).
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
mikemayday
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote mikemayday Replybullet Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:20pm
Is there a program that creates large amount of "terrain" out of a set of tiles you supply it with?
(Mostly top-down but iso would also be nice).
IP IP Logged
Kato
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Kato Replybullet Posted: 10 November 2008 at 7:48am
New version of the demotool pixel art program Grafx 2

http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/downloads/list

Bye.

Edited by Kato - 10 November 2008 at 7:49am
IP IP Logged
neota
Commander
Commander

Quote neota Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Kato

New version of the demotool pixel art program Grafx 2

http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/downloads/list

Bye.

Hi!
You missed to say, this version works on Linux, Windows , Haiku, MacOsX and BeOS. Impressive!

absolutely.
IP IP Logged
Mistake Fur
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mistake Fur Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2008 at 3:21pm
Has anyone here tried pixel-art in excel?

I recently came across this site:

It uses one cell per tile to make a game, but it should be possible to use one cell per pixel as well. And then coding with formula's, random number generation and macro's start...
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2008 at 3:29pm
Seem a bit like Gamemaker to me.
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
Mistake Fur
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mistake Fur Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2008 at 3:56pm
Windows Office Excel?  Or just the games he did?
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2008 at 4:25pm
The screenshots. So I guess the games. 
IP IP Logged
lap1994
Seaman
Seaman

Quote lap1994 Replybullet Posted: 28 November 2008 at 4:38pm
Hey, is Graphics Gale still updating? Because if it isnt I am thinking about take some of its features and make my own Graphics Gale :) I dont know how but I am sure there is a way to make it in delphi o_0
Oh yeah! And if I make it it would be my first software in delphi :D But copying other isnt cool. First I will remake it then I will make it better :)
IP IP Logged
Evilagram
Commander
Commander

Quote Evilagram Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2009 at 2:00am
I've tried out a number of pixel editors, but my favorite has always been old fasioned MS paint.

The only one I liked more than MS paint was KolourPaint for KDE linux, but it had some issues with graphical artifacts, that and I can't be bothered to boot up ubuntu every time I want to make pixel art.

For those interested, KolourPaint has all the existing features of paint in addition to, custom zoom (up to 2000%, has a little drop down box in the top toolbar), transparency(only 100%), anti-aliased resize, and an improved regular resize, simple filters, and a special fill too that can fill dithered segments. I think there are some other features, but I can't remember them.

If anyone can find a version of what's essentially MS paint with layers, 32 bit color, and simple animation (last one is optional), then I'm in. No, GraphicsGale doesn't count, the menu interface is way too clunky.
IP IP Logged
Bwian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Bwian Replybullet Posted: 21 January 2009 at 12:34pm
I use Promotion 6.0 (which now has layers) and I feel very comfortable with it since it's greatly inspired by Deluxe  Paint.

I will find and try artgem 1.3, it seems different enough to be both
complementary and useful.

IP IP Logged
Bwian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Bwian Replybullet Posted: 21 January 2009 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Bwian

I use Promotion 6.0 (which now has layers) and I feel very comfortable with it since it's greatly inspired by Deluxe  Paint.

I will find and try artgem 1.3, it seems different enough to be both
complementary and useful.

ok, I found artgem 1.3
but I don't know about the forum's politics about giving links to software nor do I know the legality about using a discontinued product.

So, if an admin tells me I can post the link I will
IP IP Logged
yrizoud
Commander
Commander

Quote yrizoud Replybullet Posted: 22 January 2009 at 3:42pm
I'm a coder for Grafx2, we released the stable version 98.0%
Notable new features since the original DOS version (or Eclipse's win32 port)
  • Works on many OSes, windowed or fullscreen
  • Text (bitmaps and vectorized fonts)
  • Gradient Rectangle
  • HSL palette editing, Palette auto-sorting.
  • Emulation of screen modes with wide (2x1) or tall (1x2) pixels, for C64 / Amiga / Amstrad lovers.
  • You can set the size of RGB sliders (0-255, 0-16...)

IP IP Logged
Evilagram
Commander
Commander

Quote Evilagram Replybullet Posted: 23 January 2009 at 9:05pm
Does it have Alpha channel support? A good lasso tool? layers? Animation? Onion skins?
IP IP Logged
yrizoud
Commander
Commander

Quote yrizoud Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2009 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Evilagram

(grafx2) Does it have Alpha channel support? A good lasso tool? layers? Animation? Onion skins?

No alpha, it's completely intended for painting in indexed colors.
I don't know what you'd call a "good" lasso, the one in grafx2 allows grabbing brushes as you draw a continuous polygon, and it's a one-shot operation: If you picked the wrong pixels, try again (retrace) or paste the brush in the spare page to edit it exactly as you need.
Layers/Animation are in uncertain plans, don't hold your breath for 2009.

IP IP Logged
Evilagram
Commander
Commander

Quote Evilagram Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by yrizoud

No alpha, it's completely intended for painting in indexed colors.

PNG is a format that uses indexed colors. It has full alpha support.

I don't know what you'd call a "good" lasso, the one in grafx2 allows grabbing brushes as you draw a continuous polygon, and it's a one-shot operation: If you picked the wrong pixels, try again (retrace) or paste the brush in the spare page to edit it exactly as you need.

By good lasso, I mean something that isn't the ridiculous blocking thing you have to use in paint.

Layers/Animation are in uncertain plans, don't hold your breath for 2009.

Then I guess I'll need a different program.
IP IP Logged
sepownage
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sepownage Replybullet Posted: 28 January 2009 at 10:34am
Why doesn't somebody make a poll in which we can choose the program we think is the best to make pixel art?

[Sep]
IP IP Logged
Evilagram
Commander
Commander

Quote Evilagram Replybullet Posted: 10 February 2009 at 11:46pm
AH HA! I got the best paint-lookalike pixel art program of all time working in windows XP.

It's called "Kolourpaint", and it's native to the KDE desktop environment.

http://windows.kde.org/

Just download the installer and make sure the graphics programs are among the applications included. Because it's emulating a linux program it's a tad unstable, so you might experience crashes here and there, but hey, it happens in windows all the time too, so you can't really fault them.

It has all the features of MS paint, plus custom zoom up to 3000%(you type in the number, and it does it), anti-aliased resizing (rather useless for our purposes, but it's there), customizable palettes (you can save palette presets and customize the number of rows and columns in the palette display), transparency (only full transparency), dithered fill (it has some cooky algorithm that lets it fill dithers, I'm still not exactly sure how to get it to work), a seperate color eraser tool (left click works like right click in MS paint, and right click does the opposite), Circular selection tool, and an improved lasso, custom defined user shortcuts (by the way, set the zoom in to ctrl+=, or you'll have to use the num pad), brightness, gamma, and contrast adjustment (for all, or each RGB channel individually), expanded number of undo/redo levels (not sure what the limit is, but it's high), and a vastly improved color picker (looks like MS paints, but the swatch is larger and it operates more smoothly, also giving you more options).

The only issues I've ever had working with this program are that you get an aburd number of artifacts on your display when you work with transparency, so leave that for the end when you're saving it, and that minor issue with zoom in being bound to ctrl + +, not ctrl + =. Perhaps the best part about the program is that it's open source, and new fixes are being added constantly. Worth noting is that you change the colors in your palette by double clicking them or using the palette editor under color.

If you love working in paint over graphicsgale (I find the interface to be too clunky for my liking.) but hate the backwards-ness of the program, and the reliance on other programs to do basic tasks such as transparency, then GET THIS.
IP IP Logged
neota
Commander
Commander

Quote neota Replybullet Posted: 11 February 2009 at 4:18pm

I'd like to explain this, because IMO it is not obvious what it means. It means that you can work with limited colorspaces, like for example CPC (rgbsize = 3), EGA64 (rgbsize = 4), PC-Engine (rgbsize = 8), Amiga (rgbsize = 16), SNES (rgbsize = 32), or VGA (rgbsize = 64)

It can be accessed via commandline when running grafx2, as in
"./grafx2 /wide /rgb 3" (for CPC colors + widepixels like CPC mode 0)

In more recent versions, it can also be set by a slider in the dialog that appears when you rightclick on the 'pal'
button.

AFAIK contour-fill (kind of like what you would get if you combined photoshop/gimp freehand selection tool with instant filling) is also new (I never saw it in the DOS version), and very handy for quick sketching.

absolutely.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2009 at 10:45pm
bump.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
theoreyes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote theoreyes Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2009 at 9:24pm
you can still DL animation shop from JASC

Animation Shop Download
IP IP Logged
theoreyes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote theoreyes Replybullet Posted: 12 April 2009 at 9:27pm
another cool application, Greenfish Icon Editor Pro

it does animation, has a 64 color palette that you can save/load.. no curves though

http://greenfish.extra.hu/downloads.php
IP IP Logged
The Flaming Coconut
Seaman
Seaman

Quote The Flaming Coconut Replybullet Posted: 26 April 2009 at 4:15pm

I use a software called IconArt 2.0

IP IP Logged
codeus
Seaman
Seaman

Quote codeus Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:21am
Hi,
We have just released an online pixel art program called "piq". It has a number of cool features to make it simpler and more fun to make pixel art. Check it out, and submit your suggestions for improvement! Thanks!

link: http://piq.codeus.net
on facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/piqcodeus/

Codeus
IP IP Logged
KelseyRoden
Seaman
Seaman

Quote KelseyRoden Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:27pm
Check out my post "The Tile Wizard Software" in this forum category.  Its a new project of mine for helping with pixeling terrain tiles.  Its made with the Java programming language and should be cross-platform.  There will be more projects for other areas of two-dimensional game pixel art in the near future.
IP IP Logged
BloodPie
Seaman
Seaman

Quote BloodPie Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2011 at 2:04am
I right now am using Pixel Studio and Grafx2.
Gimp is really easy to use but download kept stuffing up.
cause i save it on my USB so i can take it places.
Grafx2 is a bit hard to use
Pixel Studio is a very nice program you should try it out.

IP IP Logged
attanze
Seaman
Seaman

Quote attanze Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:22am

I'm a coder for Grafx2, we released the stable version 98.0%Notable new features since the original DOS version (or Eclipse's win32 port)
  • Works on many OSes, windowed or fullscreen
  • Text (bitmaps and vectorized fonts)
  • Gradient Rectangle
  • HSL palette editing, Palette auto-sorting.
  • Emulation of screen modes with wide (2x1) or tall (1x2) pixels, for C64 / Amiga / Amstrad lovers.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, just add ANIMATION support and will be perfect.
IP IP Logged
Climax
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Climax Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2011 at 5:22pm
Hello everyone...

There is a website that has a strict policy with Jasc Softwares and actually give a working Paint Shop Pro for personal use for free for you to use. The program they give is Paint Shop Pro 7 complete with Animation Shop. It is in the PUBLISHER SECTION (under Site on the list to the left) and you will need to register to the site in order to view this section and be able to download it.

Make sure you read the ToC.txt readme for the terms and conditions for this freeware supplied by them. It simply states that the program can not be uploaded to any other site at all or placed in any uploadable-to-downloadable website such as DepositFiles or any of that kind.

If you don't go by the site's ToC for the use of this program, action will be taken against you.

Here is the website:
www.thezoneimagery.com/

Edited by Climax - 19 May 2011 at 7:07pm
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2012 at 9:22pm
Someone please for the love of god sticky this so the newbs stop creating a buttload of redundant topics.
IP IP Logged
Kato
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Kato Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2014 at 8:08am
Long time no post here, i give you this link of free software, it's a big page of free tools links:

http://www.united3dartists.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3687

In fact this page is for don't waste time to search the best tools to make fast prototype games, it take me long time to do but i hope it's useful for you, when i found new free tools i will update the page.

Cellulo it's my new name, no more kato .

Edited by Kato - 25 June 2014 at 8:28am
IP IP Logged
bzz
Seaman
Seaman

Quote bzz Replybullet Posted: 19 July 2014 at 11:58pm
Well, a newer iPhone app for you guys. FREE!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/repin-palettes/id889450462
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version