WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: [IGMC] Slime Rogue WIP Post Reply Post New Topic
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote noriah Replybullet Topic: [IGMC] Slime Rogue WIP
    Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:13am
Haven't been on pixel joint for awhile, but I'm doing some pixel work again, so here I am!

eating

idle

Working on a roguelike for IGMC, and I've got a prototype running, so now it's time to do a first pass on all the sprites! Today's update is an eating and idle animation for the player.

Focusing on the movement for now, so I haven't rendered the slime jelly translucency yet. The idle feels almost like there's too much movement, but maybe I just need more inbetweens moving up? Kinda feels more like a 'walk' animation to me.

The shadow color is temp (Gotta decide on bg colors). I'll be returning to both after I do a first pass on all the assets.

Looking forward to any eye opening critique! :)

Edited by noriah - 27 July 2015 at 6:16am
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:25am
I think the movement is too intense in the idle animation. More tween frames wouldn't help, because they wouldn't reduce the "amplitude" of the movement.
Think about what an idle animation is. How would such a character act when they're not doing anything, given the environment they're in? Are they expressing boredom, eagerness? Are they just keeping ready to move or attack at any moment? Think about why the character is moving when they're not doing anything, and animate them in a way that conveys that. For example, if they're just bored, the idle animation could be the character looking side to side, rotating their head/face area. Done a different way, a similar motion could convey caution or anxiety.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 27 July 2015 at 7:01am
Thanks, eishiya! m(-.-)m I'll try restarting the idle from that frame of mind. Your suggestion gives me a good idea where to start. Thanks especially for responding so quickly!
I'll put this idle to the side, maybe use it as a start for a movement animation.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 29 July 2015 at 5:02am
Okay, taking feedback into consideration, put together this new idle animation:

Also some minor edits to the bite:

for ease of comparison, I'll put the old one on the left:

Now to try enviro tiles again.

Edited by noriah - 29 July 2015 at 6:28am
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:28am
So today I've got a stone floor tile:

Here's a bunch of it together, so you can see how it tiles:

I've also got a rough for an obstacle tile:

Looking forward to any feedback!
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2015 at 12:55pm
I think the idle motion looks good, though the eye movement doesn't really read like anything in particular.

The floor tile looks quite nice, but it is in a different perspective from the character. The character looks like we're seeing from from the side, the tile looks like we're seeing it from above. You could change the stone tiles so that they're noticeably wider than they are tall, giving the impression of perspective. Check out this Sword of Mana screenshot for an example. Changing the perspective on the player character would help even more.

It's hard to tell since the obstacle tile is not in context, but I fear it won't read well. The contrast level is lower than that of the floor, so it might not look like a game element to a player. Even if the obstacle is still technically the background, it should have higher contrast in order to stand out to the player.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2015 at 8:45pm
The eye movement I'm going for is idly looking about. I didn't put much thought into motivation for the movement, since I had enough trouble just figuring out how to do it. Haven't done eye animation before, so I had to redo it several times, though with so few pixels, iteration is faster. :) Bland is better than broken, yay.

You're definitely right about the perspective not matching. I tried tossing the assets together into a mockup and saw what you meant. I'll try doing another floor tile with a perspective like the one in your example, with the character in the image while I'm working.

I hadn't thought about it because I was making my tiles to match the perspective used in the tutorial I used for gameplay.
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-roguelike-tutorial
Here's a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

The palette for the obstacle is just me being lazy and cribbing from the floor tile for now, but when I do another pass on colors I'll definitely make changes based on your feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback, I really appreciate it. You always give me something to think about moving forward.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2015 at 5:21am
So today's progress:

Made a new floor tile, this one should be dirt, but I don't know how I feel about it.

5x5 so you can see how it tiles:

Also made a sort of wall-ish variant of the stone tile:

Thinking I'll increase the height of the lit face, maybe make it more cube like. Though if I want to use this tile, I'll have to rethink how the random placement code for the level works, so I'll only come back to it later if I have time to redo the code.

And added a shadow to the obstacle tile:

And a mock up with all the tiles so far together:

I like how the shadow pulls the obstacle away from the background. The rest, I don't know how I feel about it, I'll try coming back to it tomorrow with fresh eyes.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2015 at 8:14am
Will the player sprite match the look and feel of the BG tiles?
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2015 at 5:53am
I'm aiming to pull them together once I have something for all the tiles I need. Between palette and shading style I think it should work. I'm aiming for roughly this level of rendering on the slime when i get to final:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/som/sheet/6228/
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2015 at 6:37am
Today I've got several things done, as the deadline begins to loom fiercely.

First, I've got the watermelon food item. This makes the player invulnerable to the next several attacks:

I also started sketching what the effect looks like on the player, just the idle ani for now. I also want to bring the rendering on the melon helmet to match the melon:

Also got started on the tomato bomb food item. When the player eats this, it does a bunch of damage to the nearest enemy.

Here's they are in the mockup:

I also tried shifting the colors of the stone tiles to a more blue set of colors, think I like it more blue than green.

And last, I sketched some roughs for the enemies:

IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2015 at 6:45am
Today I noodled at the palette:

Trying to improve the stone colors, and adding tones for future tiles. Probably won't use most of these yellows, but I wanted to see if I could blend any of my previous ramps into yellow.

So as a result I had two alternate ramps for the stone, so I tried editing my mockup. Next to the current stone colors for ease of comparison:

One that's more blue

One that ramps towards the yellows

And I tried making another floor tile, still dissatisfied. This one is based on sandstone:

and in the mockup, it went with the blue stone alternate ramp:

And a mockup without the stuff on top so we can see how it tiles.

Overall don't really feel like I made much progress this time, but colors are important.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2015 at 4:08am
Yay, today I finished the other two food items! The cakes are just standard health up items. Also did some finishing on the tomato bomb.
Here's all of them together:

Mulling over what kind of colors I'd like to use on the enemies.

Golden paragon hero is kinda growing on me.

And I did the idle animation for the shield enemy:

He's rocking out. I was going for more of a pushing chest out/shoulders back kinda thing, but this is fun too. :)

And the new stuff in the mockup:
IP IP Logged
AimlessZealot
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote AimlessZealot Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2015 at 8:21am
My only real issue with him is that he has a shadow and is in a shaded environment but there's no shading on him. His animation is good and he has personality, but putting him in without any shading around the curve of his body makes him look really flat against those shaded objects.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2015 at 7:31am
Aimless, thanks for the feedback. I do intend to do lighting on all the characters, but since submissions are due tomorrow, I'll probably have to do that after I submit my entry.

Today, I have finished all the sprites necessary for a Minimum Viable Product! yay~

So first, I worked on the logo (this was rough yesterday, which is why I hadn't posted yet). These are not pixel art(they're vector based jic for print), but I wanted to get opinions on the color comps from you guys anyway if you don't mind.

On white and black background, so we can see how effective they are on a variety of backgrounds.

Next I have animations for everybody:
Slime getting hit:

Dagger guy, idle, attack, getting hit:

Mace guy, idle, attack, getting hit:

Shield guy, attack, getting hit:

And a stair tile for moving to the next level:

And stuff in the mockup:

I put in the old stone color for the floor, and did a palette shift for a second set of stairs. Not sure if I like the green stairs better. I like the differently colored stone for floor better than the dirt or sandstone, though.

Now I need to get all of the art in engine! And maybe setup a title screen and save games.
IP IP Logged
noriah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote noriah Replybullet Posted: 07 August 2015 at 3:32am
Got the art in engine!

I've got a rough version of the game up now. Will update it with non-placeholder sound if I get a chance before the deadline.
http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/482#.VcSFWvlVikq
Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it a bunch if you checked it out.
Feel free to give feedback about the sprites ingame.
I'm going to keep working on this game until I feel satisfied with the sprites.
I think I should make some contrast or palette adjustments, but I don't have a specific idea what to do.
Here's a screenshot:

Edited by noriah - 07 August 2015 at 3:33am
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 07 August 2015 at 7:12am
The obstacles are barely visible because their contrast is still too low, still lower than that of the ground they're meant to be sticking out of.

The items fit with the perspective well enough, but the characters still look like we're seeing them from the side. I recommend checking out the 2D Zelda games and other games with that sort of perspective for ideas on how you can make the characters fit the perspective. We should be able to see a hint of their shape from above (so the knights' hemline shouldn't be a horizontal line), and the tops of their heads and shoulders. Here's an example. In the case of your main character, that would mean having the eyes lower, and having the overall silhouette more circular. The Rabite enemies from Sword of Mana might be good to look at.

The stairs also have contrast issues, and because they're overall lighter than the ground, they appear to stick up slightly instead of being essentially a hole in the ground.

Edited by eishiya - 07 August 2015 at 7:20am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version