Diversions
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Diversions
Message Icon Topic: Single Image Platformer - Instant image to game Post Reply Post New Topic
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Topic: Single Image Platformer - Instant image to game
    Posted: 12 September 2015 at 1:44pm
Hello everyone,

The past few weeks I've been working on something called Single Image Platformer. At first glance it's a simple pixel art platform game in which you have to collect a certain amount of objects in order to unlock the exit and finish the game.

What makes it special is that you can customize this game just by altering a single image file!
You decide what the player looks like, what objects (s)he has to collect, what monsters (s)he encounters and even what the level looks like!

Try out the default game, download the image template and follow the instructions to make the game your own!

Check it out here: Single Image Platformer

Note: The game's features are intentionally limited to make customization simple and fun, it is in no way meant to be or become a serious gamedev tool. The instruction guide is a draft and will be reworked in the future.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2015 at 2:37pm
Art is cute.
Send in as news in your gallery profile and we'll include in the next Stray Pixels :)
IP IP Logged
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 4:21am
Thanks :D Alright, sent it in as news (didn't know about that feature) :)
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 4:37am
How does one play the default game?
Tried and nothing works.
IP IP Logged
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 5:08am
Just clicking "Default game" should work... And press Enter or Space on the title screen. Use the arrow keys to control the character. In case none of this works then tell me what browser you're using and what exactly you see.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 5:17am
oops, my bad. Enter and Space work >.<
(maybe the title screen should say that?)
Its very cute and it should be great for some to make their own art for it.
In the future, when you have updates PM me or submit as news to add to the Stray News Post.
IP IP Logged
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2015 at 5:39am
I thought of having Press Space/Enter on the title screen but then this should also be in the game image (so people can customize it too so the font fit the style of the game) and there's not much room left ^^'
I did a quick update so now Arrow Keys, WASD, Space and Enter works on the title screen, now you can also move the character with WASD ;) I might add an "Any Key" check later on.
I will, thanks in advance :)
IP IP Logged
Strawzzboy64
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Strawzzboy64 Replybullet Posted: 03 October 2015 at 5:49pm
Very interesting project! I'm a little bit confused by the layout of the image and how it all works, but I think I'll get it in time. Specifically, it looks like the palette on the top right has a lot of colors, but you only need one of each shade? Anyway I recommend if possible placing the colors so they actually line up with the the corresponding objects in the image.

Also, can you make it so the game resets to the beginning (where you can choose another image) once you pass a level?
IP IP Logged
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Posted: 06 October 2015 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Strawzzboy64

Very interesting project! I'm a little bit confused by the layout of the image and how it all works, but I think I'll get it in time. Specifically, it looks like the palette on the top right has a lot of colors, but you only need one of each shade? Anyway I recommend if possible placing the colors so they actually line up with the the corresponding objects in the image.

Also, can you make it so the game resets to the beginning (where you can choose another image) once you pass a level?

There are a lot of colors in the palette for all the combinations of an object and what background should be drawn behind it ;)

For example: The 20 green colors at the top of the palette are for the player's start position, the group of light colors is to make the hero face left and the group of darker colors are to make the hero face right.

I put the palette together to more or less have them line up with the layout of the image.

I know the explanation in the instruction guide isn't very clear but as there isn't too much interest in this little project I haven't taken the time yet to write a better guide.

Sure, I'll make the game reset when you finish a level ;)
IP IP Logged
Caladium
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Caladium Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2016 at 2:41pm
Oh this is really neat.

I want to try making an image too when I get some free time ^-^
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 18 January 2016 at 9:00pm
I tried making an image for this, but I found it too limited. With so few tiles to work with, I couldn't create any larger background objects or nice edges for terrain, which made for rather boring-looking levels. SIP has just barely more than the bare minimum of tiles needed for a platformer, making it very hard to make anything that really feels different from the default. As a result, the whole thing just isn't very fun to play with, because it just feels like recolouring someone else's work rather than a proper reskin.

Also, the game really needs volume controls, the sounds are too loud.
IP IP Logged
SiegfriedCroes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SiegfriedCroes Replybullet Posted: 22 January 2016 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Caladium

Oh this is really neat. I want to try making an image too when I get some free time ^-^

Would be cool to see what you come up with :D

Originally posted by eishiya

I tried making an image for this, but I found it too limited. With so few tiles to work with, I couldn't create any larger background objects or nice edges for terrain, which made for rather boring-looking levels. SIP has just barely more than the bare minimum of tiles needed for a platformer, making it very hard to make anything that really feels different from the default. As a result, the whole thing just isn't very fun to play with, because it just feels like recolouring someone else's work rather than a proper reskin.Also, the game really needs volume controls, the sounds are too loud.

I guess it's just not for you then ;) It's not meant as a tool to make your own platformer, it was just a little experiment. I could make it more advanced but then it wouldn't work with 1 image anymore and I'd just have to make a whole online editor. Volume controls would be no problem to add ;)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version