Resources and Support
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: P-Rex - my pixel art drawing program Post Reply Post New Topic
DraggonFantasy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote DraggonFantasy Replybullet Topic: P-Rex - my pixel art drawing program
    Posted: 29 January 2016 at 7:32am

P-Rex now has a twitter - https://twitter.com/pixel_rex

Hello :)
I want to share with you a pixel art drawing program, that I'm developing. I really hope this thread doesn't violate any forum rules as I just want to inform you about yet another program for pixel art, that you may like.
Program is written in Java and to run it you must have at least Java 8. Also, it's absolutely free for everyone and you can use it even for commercial projects.

The idea of creating my own pixel art program appeared after I tried to use different other programs. Some of them were comfortable for me, but haven't some features that I want. And some programs, that weren't comfortable for me (or weren't free ), but they have that such features. And that pushed me to making my own program, that would have all that stuff that I want.

The main requirement for my program, which I called P-Rex (short for Pixel-Rex, the logo is dino, who holds a brush with pixel paint on it), was extendability. Because if program is extendable by plugins - you can add almost any feature to it. And that requirement is done - P-Rex supports plugins written in JavaScript, I tried to make writing plugins really easy, but powerful work (you can find some simple plugin examples on the official forum of P-Rex).

Even all default tools (except for pencil tool) are done as plugin.
The current version of P-Rex is alpha (alpha 0.7 if more accurate) and it's pretty raw at the moment, but already usable. You can't use it for drawing animation and it doesn't support layers yet, but it's alpha and there is many stuff to be added :)
P-Rex already can draw lines (amazing, isn't it? ), pixels, rectangles. It has palette (currently it can hold only 64 colors, but this limit will be removed in future versions), symmetry mode (X and Y), tabs for having opened many documents at the same time. And, of course, it already supports plugins

Official site of P-Rex: http://prex.ucoz.net/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/pixel_rex
(sorry for the ads on site, I'm using free hosting Ucoz. After registration, all ads disappear)

Plans for P-Rex future:
  • Android and HTML5 versions (with same or almost same functionality, that 'standalone' Java version)
  • Unlimited palette, that's comfortable to pixel artist
  • Layers and animation
  • P-Rex own file format (is planned to be added in next version - alpha 1.0)
  • Even more abilities for plugins (like ability to add file format support by plugin etc)
  • Color "suggestion system" - built-in thing like Adobe Kuler for making color schemes, that's also customizable by plugins
  • Tool settings (is planned in next version - alpha 1.0)
  • And even more!

What do you think about this project? Have you already tried it?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2016 at 8:25am
This is no violation of any kind.
Sharing is welcome here.
You can also submit in the gallery for the links section which you can do from your profile page.

I will add a link to this thread in the next Stray Pixels (posted at the end of every month in the gallery's front page) for now.
IP IP Logged
DraggonFantasy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote DraggonFantasy Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by jalonso

I will add a link to this thread in the next Stray Pixels

Thank you! :)

I'm going to make a twitter account to post news about development, so users can see what stuff is waiting for them in new version
By the way, P-Rex has one more download :D
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 29 January 2016 at 3:22pm
The next Stray Pixels news will be posted very late tonight or early in the am.
I directed the link to this thread which you are welcome to use to update, inform, communicate or whatever its yours to run.
You may also post comments in the gallery link section (which I already added) as you update and stuff.
IP IP Logged
DraggonFantasy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote DraggonFantasy Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2016 at 1:00pm
Finally, Twitter is created :)
https://twitter.com/pixel_rex
I've updated topic main post, so you can also find link to twitter there
Also sorry for disappearing, I was little bit bus
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2016 at 1:13pm
Its cool and I understand.
Sometimes I'm a little train.

Update as you need and occasionally check this thread in case anyone has questions.
IP IP Logged
DraggonFantasy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote DraggonFantasy Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by jalonso

Sometimes I'm a little train.

Brilliant!
For the first look I though, that it's some English idiom, that I don't know, but then I read my post again and
I wouldn't fix my typo, because then readers of this topic will not understand your joke :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version