Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: PJ Image Specs v2 Post Reply Post New Topic
Yanrishatum
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Yanrishatum Replybullet Topic: PJ Image Specs v2
    Posted: 26 February 2016 at 11:45am
Hi. I'm the dev of Advanced Image Specs, which introduced gif support and color highliting.
In free time I'm developing new v2 version, which is rewritten from scratch. It works faster, and does not rely on browser in PNG/GIF decoding (because browsers like to corrupt colors in some cases).

And now I need feedback about it. All of it. Regarding design, functionality, suggestion, all that stuff. Bugreports are welcome too, of cource.
This version will, eventually, replace the old one (which will be renamed as `legacy` and will be available on new address).

I want to make it straight - if I'll not recieve any feedback regarding design, it will remain AS IT IS right now, and the ones who don't like it gonna suffer ;)
(the header with progress info is temporary, in release version it'll have another text)

URL to dev version: http://yanrishatum.ru/pj/dev/
You can send feedback to me via PM, this thead or email - krabanek@gmail.com or yanrishatum@gmail.com
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2016 at 2:23pm
I feel like most of the "Tools" you have listed on your to-do list would be better off in a separate utility, not as part of the inspector. The two would probably need to share some code, but I think it would be better to make that code a library instead of putting all these disparate featured into one utility.

I don't like how the settings panel slides out. It makes me dizzy and the transition effect isn't useful. I'd much rather it always just be somewhere on the page, or instantly appear in its final position if it must be on a toggle. I also don't like how it overlaps the rest of the UI, but can't be moved. I'd rather it be a fixed, non-overlapping part somewhere else in the UI like in the previous version, perhaps with a show/hide toggle if it gets to have a lot of different settings. Having it below the working area seems fine to me, since it's not frequently needed, I don't see why it needs to be made floaty and distracting.

I don't like how there's a lot of space wasted for the palette on images with small palettes. I think the palette area should be as small as possible to fit both the palette and the image. The height of .previewCanvas is being set too high.

When I try to inspect one of my own pieces (http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/pjchallenge_snowglobe.png), it gets corrupted. Another image I tried seemed fine. Fixed.

If the processing takes too long (as it did on the corrupted image, since it read it as having 7k instead of 20-something colours) and I tell the browser to stop running the script, the page has to be reloaded to try again. This seems abnormal to me for the way the interaction with the inspector is structured, I expect things to get initialised if they need to be whenever I press the Inspect button, stopping the execution of one function should not break everything, because this is not a continuous loop kind of program.
IP IP Logged
Yanrishatum
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Yanrishatum Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2016 at 5:11pm
Ok, made an update.
1. Fixed a bug in PNG decoding (thanks to Eishiya for help)
2. Settings now at the bottom of the page and static.
3. Zoom buttons now configurable, you can have them at top and/or bottom of the canvas.
4. Fixed a few bugs in design regarding flexbox invalidation.
5. Inspection page now don't have fixed size, but can't be bigger that ~1 screen height.

Originally posted by eishiya

I feel like most of the "Tools" you have listed on your to-do list would be better off in a separate utility, not as part of the inspector. The two would probably need to share some code, but I think it would be better to make that code a library instead of putting all these disparate featured into one utility.

They most probably will be separated from inspector part, but will be available from same page.

I don't like how the settings panel slides out

Fixed.

I don't like how there's a lot of space wasted for the palette on images with small palettes

Probably fixed (if I understood you right).

If the processing takes too long (as it did on the corrupted image, since it read it as having 7k instead of 20-something colours) and I tell the browser to stop running the script, the page has to be reloaded to try again. This seems abnormal to me for the way the interaction with the inspector is structured, I expect things to get initialised if they need to be whenever I press the Inspect button, stopping the execution of one function should not break everything, because this is not a continuous loop kind of program.

1. Tool designed to work fast. If it work slow, it's broken ;)
2. It probably breaks because of the way AngularJS works, and I can't do anything about that...
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2016 at 6:06pm
Omg, this is awesome. I love the color highlighting part
IP IP Logged
yrizoud
Commander
Commander

Quote yrizoud Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2016 at 7:03pm
For GIF animation, the color count measures pixels of the frame in the file, not the resulting image, i'm not sure it's the most useful.
For example :
http://yanrishatum.ru/pj/dev/?input=http%3A%2F%2Fpixeljoint.com%2Fpixelart%2F85906.htm
See frame 18, it is made of a single transparent pixel - this is designed so frame 18 has the same appearance as frame 17.

IP IP Logged
Yanrishatum
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Yanrishatum Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2016 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by yrizoud

For GIF animation, the color count measures pixels of the frame in the file, not the resulting image, i'm not sure it's the most useful.For example :http://yanrishatum.ru/pj/dev/?input=http%3A%2F%2Fpixeljoint.com%2Fpixelart%2F85906.htmSee frame 18, it is made of a single transparent pixel - this is designed so frame 18 has the same appearance as frame 17.

Updated again. Fixed. Color counting for gifs should be correct now.
IP IP Logged
Yanrishatum
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Yanrishatum Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2016 at 7:01am
Updated again, added "Palette file" tool. Currently just generates image with palette colors.
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2016 at 9:41pm
Drag and drop isn't working for me in Chrome on linux, just says "Loading file..." for as long as I my patience will hold out.
Same images open fine from query string.

It'd be cool if you could also generate data URLs for common palette formats such as Jasc PAL and GPL.
IP IP Logged
Yanrishatum
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Yanrishatum Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2016 at 3:14am
Originally posted by surt

Drag and drop isn't working for me in Chrome on linux, just says "Loading file..." for as long as I my patience will hold out.
Same images open fine from query string.

I suppose there's error somewhere in console log. Could you please check it out? (Ctrl + Shift + J opens the console) And there is, send it to me, so I can find out what's wrong.

Originally posted by surt

It'd be cool if you could also generate data URLs for common palette formats such as Jasc PAL and GPL.

Yeah, it's in planned features, I just didn't implemented it yet :)
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2016 at 12:13am
Nothing at all in the console.
IP IP Logged
Scarodactyl
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Scarodactyl Replybullet Posted: 18 March 2016 at 10:00am
I love this thing!  I definitely have not been taking advantage of the older version, but with this new one I will definitely need to.  As an odd note, it works fine in firefox and chrome, but not in my primary browser (Pale Moon, a firefox fork)--it gets stuck on 'analyzing'.  I'm not sure why that would be but there you have it.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version