Message Icon Topic: Retro Highway [Android/iOS] Post Reply Post New Topic
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Iceberg Replybullet Topic: Retro Highway [Android/iOS]
    Posted: 11 July 2016 at 6:13am

About:

As the title suggests, Retro Highway is a racing/runner game with obvious inspiration from such classics as Road Rash and Outrun in which you try your hardest to get the highest score and not crash into things.

Gameplay:

Think of it as a mix between classic racing games of old and modern runners. You are in full control of your bike (albeit with auto acceleration enabled to make it more bearable to handle with touchscreen limitations), but the ultimate goal is not to race the clock or your opponents - instead you just try to beat your highest score by driving as recklessly as possible as long as possible to maintain your combo meter while gathering coins to unlock new bikes and upgrades on the way.

Media:

Showing off

Coins are NOT going to work that way in the final version of the game :Р
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2016 at 6:20am
I made a Pixeljoint billboard will you add it?

Any PJer is welcome to edit/improve the art if they want to :)

IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:07am
Cool, but "Pixel" kinda blends into the bright background.
IP IP Logged
DatMuffinMan
Commander
Commander

Quote DatMuffinMan Replybullet Posted: 16 July 2016 at 2:44am
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 16 July 2016 at 3:13am
Originally posted by jalonso

I made a Pixeljoint billboard will you add it?Any PJer is welcome to edit/improve the art if they want to :)

Will be my pleasure! Have to agree with DB about readability, though. I'll see how I can edit it.

Originally posted by DatMuffinMan

Ah, so you are this friend Nicolai mentioned! Thanks!

-----

With all this billboard stuff already mentioned, I feel like I should clarify what is going on here by quoting my earlier post on TIGSource forums.

Originally posted by Iceberg

Speaking of the graphics - I actually have a friendly proposal for the fellow devs and pixel artists which I think is going to benefit both of us in some ways.

One thing I haven't really worked on yet is billboards. Normally I'd just make a bunch of random spoofs of popular media, but since I feel like I can do some good for the people while actually staying lazy I thought I'd give it a go.

So, my proposition is: you can take this sprite of a billboard and draw anything on top of the 128x64 canvas as long as it is safe for work and doesn't differ too much from the rest of the game's visual style. So if you want a physical advert of your game project or twitter page or whatnot in our virtual world - sure, go ahead, we don't mind it at all.

You can send your images over to const.berg@gmail.com or post them right here in the thread since I guess this doesn't count as an offtopic discussion; just make sure to note if you want to have your name mentioned in the credits (you're still helping us to fill the game with content, after all).

Letting your friends know about this little philanthropy act we are performing would also be very appreciated :beer:

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 16 July 2016 at 7:22am
I can't help but be bothered by the fact that there's a road block on the road with no turnoff for all the "real" traffic in the second gif. That sort of thing might go unnoticed during regular gameplay, but there are always nitpickers out there xP

The ad idea is really cool, thank you for doing it! I wish I had something pixel art- or game-related to advertise.

Is there gyroscope steering by any chance, or is it only with the onscreen buttons? Is there a two-thumb option (arrows on opposite sides of the screen) for the on-screen buttons, for people with short thumbs?
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 3:03am
Originally posted by eishiya

I can't help but be bothered by the fact that there's a road block on the road with no turnoff for all the "real" traffic in the second gif. That sort of thing might go unnoticed during regular gameplay, but there are always nitpickers out there xP

I don't think I got this sentence quite right, could you please rephrase it for a dumb non-native speaker? :Р

The ad idea is really cool, thank you for doing it! I wish I had something pixel art- or game-related to advertise.

You can always advertise yourself.

Is there gyroscope steering by any chance, or is it only with the onscreen buttons? Is there a two-thumb option (arrows on opposite sides of the screen) for the on-screen buttons, for people with short thumbs?

Yeah, We're planning to implement all types of controls you mentioned, although people with shorter thumbs may still have a hard time since nitro button might be hard to reach; I have an idea of how to make these sets of controls at least somewhat feasible, though.
IP IP Logged
Kasaczek
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kasaczek Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 12:08pm

Not really an advertisement of anything, but I wanted to put my friend in there with a line that refers to his favourite game series - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I might change the background colour of the billboard to match the game more, but yea, that's pretty much it. Hope You guys like it and leave some feedback :)
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Kasaczek

Not really an advertisement of anything, but I wanted to put my friend in there with a line that refers to his favourite game series - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I might change the background colour of the billboard to match the game more, but yea, that's pretty much it. Hope You guys like it and leave some feedback :)

I approve of this both as a slav and as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan. Doesn't your friend mind being shown on the billboard, though?
IP IP Logged
Kasaczek
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kasaczek Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 2:22pm

I approve of this both as a slav and as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan. Doesn't your friend mind being shown on the billboard, though?

He's happy I made this + totally fine to be in the game ^^
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 3:08pm

He's happy I made this + totally fine to be in the game ^^

Then it's all cheeki breeki, as they say; will add this into the game later on.
IP IP Logged
DatMuffinMan
Commander
Commander

Quote DatMuffinMan Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 4:10pm

Ah, so you are this friend Nicolai mentioned! Thanks!

np! was a fun little thing to work on
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 6:28pm

I don't think I got this sentence quite right, could you please rephrase it for a dumb non-native speaker? :Р

No :P Мне не нравиться как во втором GIFе есть барьер на дороге, но машинам свернуть некуда.  Большинство игроков не заметят, но психов типа меня тоже не мало.

Yeah, We're planning to implement all types of controls you mentioned, although people with shorter thumbs may still have a hard time since nitro button might be hard to reach; I have an idea of how to make these sets of controls at least somewhat feasible, though.

Good to hear!

And I'd rather not advertise anything that players wouldn't care about, so I'll pass.
IP IP Logged
Kasaczek
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kasaczek Replybullet Posted: 17 July 2016 at 10:36pm
I couldn't resist myself from making a player model, so I basically ripped off the sprite from the GIF (not sure if I did it pixel-perfect right though) then recoloured it. I made it so it looks like Biker from Hotline Miami:
I've also updated the billboard (changed the colours and design a bit) and made an alternative colour scheme. I think it looks better this way:
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:56am

No :P Мне не нравиться как во втором GIFе есть барьер на дороге, но машинам свернуть некуда. Большинство игроков не заметят, но психов типа меня тоже не мало.

Ah, I actually got it right, then. We'll try to add 'road works ahead' signs later on in the game to emphasise the stupidity of those drivers who run into the barriers, as well as traffic lights at the crossections.

I couldn't resist myself from making a player model, so I basically ripped off the sprite from the GIF (not sure if I did it pixel-perfect right though) then recoloured it. I made it so it looks like Biker from Hotline Miami:

Looks nice! I actually thought of a similar concept myself, but we had all the major characters done at the time the idea came to me; maybe I'll add it in a future update, though.

I've also updated the billboard (changed the colours and design a bit) and made an alternative colour scheme. I think it looks better this way

I was fine with the initial design, but alright, I'll use this one if you feel like it's better.
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2016 at 1:37am
Meanwhile I've made a bunch of logos for different characters/bikes, hope they convey their personalities well.

IP IP Logged
Kasaczek
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kasaczek Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2016 at 6:13am

Meanwhile I've made a bunch of logos for different characters/bikes, hope they convey their personalities well.

Looks good!
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:21am
I like all of them except Freak and Daredevil. The daredevil text feels too delicate with its gentle curves and tapering lines, and the freak text looks too neat to me. I also think both of those could benefit from a sloped or irregular baseline.
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2018 at 12:05pm
Long time no see eh?

Well we're surprisingly not dead and so isn't the game. It's going to hit App Store and Google Play on April 14th, in fact. Sorry for being so terrible at managing anything SM-related. Presskit with more info can be found here: http://dumbluckgames.net/retrohighway/press/index.php

Check out our trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjLlCXSX-wA

IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2018 at 3:03am
Well done! Reminds of classic Road Rash games. Would be cool to see boss enemies, like say a police helicopter dropping bombs or firing before player.
IP IP Logged
Iceberg
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Iceberg Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2018 at 3:57am
Retro Highway is out!

► Get it on App Store: https://apple.co/2G7JNXm
► Get it on Google Play: https://goo.gl/4WvVQu

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version