WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: 1-Bit Game WIP [C+C] Need Help Post Reply Post New Topic
Ma3vis
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ma3vis Replybullet Topic: 1-Bit Game WIP [C+C] Need Help
    Posted: 26 January 2017 at 4:00am
Hi,

Spent a majority of work on smaller trees, but not sure what more I could do
Since 1-bit sprites of its size can vary not much, and do so without dithering

House looks fine but had issues in trying to breakup details for a door
Tried to draw a large tree as well but having problems once I start shading
Our brick wall is suppose to pop/have perspective but it seems to be lacking
Last the windmill appears to conflict in style with the rest of the screenshot

Hoping to fix these issue and wrap this project up
Any feedback, contributions or advice on anything would help
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2017 at 6:34am
The windmill is just very small, that's why it doesn't look right. Try making it to the sale scale as the house. Windmills are typically quite large because they need large sails to work.

The house and trees are in different scales. The door is about the same size as the smaller trees, which means the trees are person-sized. If you go for a more symbolic look that can be fine, but judging by the level of detail and the fact that you have larger trees, you're going for something a bit more realistic. In that case, your single-tile trees should be young trees and bushes, not miniature mature trees.

The brick wall looks flat because the bottom and top of it are flat and don't suggest the curvature that the lighting seems to. See how you've made the small trees have curved bottoms/layers to show that they're seen from above? You can do the same thing with the wall and anything else that's curved.

The large tree in the right mockup is lit from below, unlike everything else.
IP IP Logged
Ma3vis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ma3vis Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:04pm
New updates

Any improvements?

Made some progress with own attempts and a few commissions
Still have a few issues however regarding select objects

01. the Windmill
02. the Big Tree - used different shading with dark textures on bottom
03. the Walkway - drawn using a different pattern
04. House Door
05. White Tree - used a different shape
06. the Brick Wall - used more detail to contrast ground texture
07. Mossy Swamp Tree
08. the Log Fencing

Could use advice and critiques on such

Also, thank you @eishiya for all your help I appreciate it

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:58am
I think the windmill with the white sails looks good, though it should probably have a roof (or some remnants of a roof if it's meant to be ruined).

Are you aiming to make these scenes to-scale or not? I don't know whether to give you feedback on that. It looks like you're going for some vague sense of scale with the buildings, but not the environment, a la SNES RPGs?
Don't get me wrong, that's perfectly fine. I just want to know what your goals with that are so that I can avoid giving you useless feedback.

The walkway looks nice, though you may want more variant tiles. It's easy for patterns with combinations of large and small elements to look repetitive, so it's best to have a few different tiles to mix and match.

I prefer the old house door. The middle one reads more like a ship hatch., and the large dark areas on the left door look like they're open gaps into the dark inside, so it doesn't look like a solid door. The two other doors I can't judge, since they're presented without context. They could be good, though the right one with the simple outlined cross-bar looks a bit boring. The others have more volume and character to them.

I didn't give you feedback on everything because there were many things where I wasn't sure which item you meant, or what you were going for with them.
IP IP Logged
Ma3vis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ma3vis Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2018 at 3:33pm
Current Progress:

Still workin on the brick wall, modified the housing and extended its length, attempting to make progress on the marshland water and desert sands tileset. [C+C] Any advice, tips or contributions are appreciated, thanks

@eishiya -- still workin on the windmill's body, will add roofing soon as possible. there is a vague sense of scale, but not exact scaling. just kinda wanted to make the scenery and enemies loom over the player character abit.

the walkways are an issue, adding too much detail obscures the player character but leaving the tiles with alot of whites either creates a distraction or becomes disruptive to the scenery. added more volume to the house, and tried to give the roof better lighting but still needs to be detailed. idk what to do about a door  as i am sorta disappointed with the previous variations.

Hopefully this clears things up abit :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version