Resources and Support
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: DB8 - DawnBringer's 8 Color Palette V1.0 Post Reply Post New Topic
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Topic: DB8 - DawnBringer's 8 Color Palette V1.0
    Posted: 22 November 2017 at 12:24pm

DB8 has been ready for several years by now, but I never got around to publish it. Since it's included in the (upcoming) V1.4 update of the GrafX2 Toolbox...why not do it now?

With well balanced 16 & 32 color palettes done, it felt natural to expand the set with the 8 color one. Now, an 8 color palette might be of limited usefulness and more of a curiosity, but there's still things that makes it quite interesting:

• We're approaching the limit where it makes sense to deal with hues and ramps across the whole spectrum (= a challenge!).

• There's so few colors that we can create diagrams and map full sets of combinations that would become too complex with larger palettes.

• It can serve as an easy to understand example of the fundamentals of palette design.

I gotta admit there wasn't too much magic required to pick out the general colors, it kinda builds itself (that's probably why there's several nice 8 color palettes out there, not very different from this one). You need black and something close white, gotta have yellow and that would naturally be the 2nd brightest color. I wanted a red, green and blue to cover the spectrum. A gray would be nice and it would be suitable as halfshade for the green. Now we need a dark color for the last spot...violet is the natural choice as it shades both blue and red. Adjust the brightness levels, balance the ramps and a little bit of tweaking and we're done! (well, something like that ;))

Quickchart:

Mockup test (violently borrowing from Dan Malone :D, all drawn from scratch though!)

Properties:

Colorschemes:

Analyzis:

Files:
PAL file (.pal)
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2017 at 1:41pm
Great work! Although I guess some would miss pink color for human portraits.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:09pm
Wonderful! I'm equally impressed by the palette, as by the applications and examples you've given! Also it is interesting, perhaps unsurprising, to see that it has a very similar aesthetic or style as db16 and 32.

@snv: DB litterally gave an image with examples of human portraits in 30 different color combinations with this palette!

By the way, speaking of the dithering, I hardly noticed the dithering until I zoomed in. Dithering became a bit irrelevant when lcd screens first came out.. but now that resolutions are increasing, will it find back its purpose?
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:35pm
What do the exclamation marks on the portraits mean?

I quite like the range of skin tones.

I'm also impressed by the dithering. Usually I don't like it since I'm a pleb using ancient LCD screens, but the value contrast in the colour pairs here is sufficiently low that it works very well.
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 22 November 2017 at 2:44pm
What do the exclamation marks on the portraits mean?

Oh, they just indicate the primary/best schemes with the most balanced ramps.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2017 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Hapiel

@snv: DB litterally gave an image with examples of human portraits in 30 different color combinations with this palette!

Try recoloring your avatar using it, you will see that using it is not as easy as using db16. So I won't recommend db8 for newbies.
IP IP Logged
mordfikosz
Seaman
Seaman

Quote mordfikosz Replybullet Posted: 23 November 2017 at 7:52am

Also those mock ups...
IP IP Logged
yrizoud
Commander
Commander

Quote yrizoud Replybullet Posted: 24 November 2017 at 7:32am
> (dithering) now that resolutions are increasing, will it find back its purpose?

Dithering large surfaces is still not recommended because if the image can scrolls freely, the screen pixels take a noticeable time to trasnsform from one color to the other, producing a "swarming" / "glittering" effect, unless you're using a gamer's fast screen, or you make sure to scroll only in coordinates which are multiples of the dither pattern's period (ie: generally 2x2).
For example, try opening the following image, and slowly move your browser's window.
http://www.dca.fee.unicamp.br/~lotufo/Courses/ia-636-1995/alberto/proj5/html/dither_pattern.gif
(I've seen a website using such image as background, it was painful to scroll through)
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:54am
Thanks for clearing that up, I never knew why dithered pattern scrolling had that effect!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version