WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: [feedback][cc]-week02 Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Iancul1981
Seaman
Seaman
Avatar

Joined: 22 March 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote Iancul1981 Replybullet Topic: [feedback][cc]-week02
    Posted: 27 March 2018 at 1:33am
Hello,

So after receiving some feedback for my first drawings I am continuing with this week's work of mine. The purpose is to improve my very basic skills. As Hapiel suggested, I will keep working on these drawings until no one says anything bad about them :). I will keep adding new and modified drawings to the first post so they can be easily seen and criticised.

Thanks for your help!

1. Meteor





2. Biohazard



3. Overgrown egg




Best regards,
Iancu
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Avatar

Joined: 14 April 2022
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3264
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2018 at 8:59am
As for the meteor: The tail seems a bit odd in many places. It seems connected to the top of the meteor rather than the middle, it seems to very suddenly go from a thick line to a 1px line, there is a bit of a corner in the last part of the line, and the darker outline causes some banding. All of this could be solved with some proper Anti Aliasing
See Cure's explanation on bad AA here and check these examples from Neota here (not in your browser, they are scaled, but if you open the images on their own they can still be useful)

Why have you chosen to dither the sky again? Why are the stars so incredibly bright? Where is the light source for the planet? Most often these are lit by a single star (sun), and only show the full circle if lit nearly perfectly from the front.
IP IP Logged
Iancul1981
Seaman
Seaman
Avatar

Joined: 22 March 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote Iancul1981 Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2018 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Hapiel

As for the meteor: The tail seems a bit odd in many places. It seems connected to the top of the meteor rather than the middle, it seems to very suddenly go from a thick line to a 1px line, there is a bit of a corner in the last part of the line, and the darker outline causes some banding. All of this could be solved with some proper Anti AliasingSee Cure's explanation on bad AA here and check these examples from Neota here (not in your browser, they are scaled, but if you open the images on their own they can still be useful)


Thanks, I re-read the tutorial on banding and aa and tried to apply the theory to the best of my abilities to the meteor to make it smoother and eliminate banding and try to give it a nice consistent curved shape. I am happy with the result but please let me know if there's still something to correct.



Originally posted by Hapiel

Why have you chosen to dither the sky again?


Apologies, I had actually uploaded the image before receiving the advice about dithering and forgot to clean it up. My main motivation for trying to dither the sky was to try to make the overall image more interesting by inserting very close colors and having more than one, but I got it, I won't try to do that for now, especially for very small images.



Originally posted by Hapiel

Why are the stars so incredibly bright?

Again, I thought it would make the image a bit more interesting if I had three colors for the stars. I eliminated the brightest one and left only a very few for the middle one.


Originally posted by Hapiel

Where is the light source for the planet? Most often these are lit by a single star (sun), and only show the full circle if lit nearly perfectly from the front.


Ok I switched the colors, leaving the planet (moon) mostly dark and with only a small lighted part on the right side.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me out, I will update the first post with the image v2.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Avatar

Joined: 14 April 2022
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3264
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2018 at 3:48am
Nice improvement on the meteor! Just as another example, here is my take on it:


As for the moon, I'm sure it can be lit from the front (full moon) or from the side (first quarter), but whatever you chose, the part that is unlit is going to be practically invisible (except for that there won't be any stars in this area). Does that make sense? Look at some pictures from the moon otherwise (I just did a google on "moon over horizon", but be aware that 90% of those pictures are taken at full moon, haha)
IP IP Logged
Iancul1981
Seaman
Seaman
Avatar

Joined: 22 March 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote Iancul1981 Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2018 at 7:33am
Your meteor is smoother somehow. I made mine a wee bit longer and chose the moon full lighted - do you think that changing the moon's colors to yellow / light orange would make the image better?

I added a new image I worked on today, it's a wip - am particularly not very happy with the shading - the light source is supposed to be at the upper left corner but something feels off. Also the egg shape is not totally on point... I will work some more tomorow i think.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Avatar

Joined: 14 April 2022
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3264
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2018 at 3:30am
Another tip for this thread is to post the images not only in the top post, but also in the new posts, that way it's easier to follow what came when, and I don't need to scroll repeatedly up and down.

For the egg, why this strange bulge in the shading?
I don't know exactly how light responds to an egg, the best way would be to check for references or remake one in 3d software to find the perfect shading shape.. but now I've kinda done it by what "feels" right. I didn't get the nest to work very well. One of the reasons that it is hard to make the nest is because of the low contrast with the egg color..


I hope this gives you some new ideas.
IP IP Logged
Iancul1981
Seaman
Seaman
Avatar

Joined: 22 March 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote Iancul1981 Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2018 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Hapiel

Another tip for this thread is to post the images not only in the top post, but also in the new posts, that way it's easier to follow what came when, and I don't need to scroll repeatedly up and down.


Roger that, will do.



Originally posted by Hapiel

For the egg, why this strange bulge in the shading? I don't know exactly how light responds to an egg, the best way would be to check for references or remake one in 3d software to find the perfect shading shape.. but now I've kinda done it by what "feels" right. I didn't get the nest to work very well. One of the reasons that it is hard to make the nest is because of the low contrast with the egg color..I hope this gives you some new ideas.


Well I actually drew it with an image of an egg in front of me and the light was not really reflecting from a single point, and that's what I was trying to emulate with the first version of the shading. However, pixel art is about abstraction, minimalism and approximation, so I went with the way you did it and now I am pretty happy with the result, thanks!

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum