Message Icon Topic: Teamwork Competition Post Reply Post New Topic
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: Teamwork Competition
    Posted: 13 April 2018 at 10:48am

Hello everyone!

We're going to try a new kind of compo here at PJ. There will be participation awards for everyone involved so be sure to take part!

This teamwork compo works as following:
Everyone has a bit over two weeks to submit line art, or any image which uses only 2 colors (which matches the image requirements and theme). The day after the first submission deadline you will receive a message containing line art from another random participant, you will have 3 weeks to finish this other persons work into a colored pixel art.

After the competition is over, non-part taking PJ mods and selected judges will look at the end results and select a top 3. Both the submitter of the line art and the submitter of the final result will receive trophies, so you can win twice! Everyone who submits both a line art and a colored artwork will receive an award.

Image requirements:

The theme for the image is: An unlikely couple

Canvas Size - exactly 150x100 or 100x150
Colors - Max. 32 for finished work, exactly 2 colors for line art.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

How to submit line art:
Upload your line art externally (I recommend imgur) and send the image link to me (hapiel) in a PM on the forums, or the gallery site. If you're having trouble, you can also email it to me, but be sure to include your PJ nickname. My address: hello@danielsimu.com

I would recommend not to share your line art in public. Possibly the receiver of your line art might contact you, but I think it's more exciting when we all discover who made what at the end. I will post a list of all participants when the line art phase is over.

If you submit line art you are expected to also take part in the coloring phase, for which you should have plenty of time. If you are unsure if you are able to do this, please do not submit line art. It would make everyone involved really sad if some line art is left uncolored...

You're allowed only one entry per person, so make it count!

Deadline of submission: Sunday 29th of April

How to submit the final colored image
Once you receive your line art on the 30th of April you can start working on the final image.
You can submit your colored artwork to the PJ gallery.
Please add the tag "teamwork", that way your artwork will be easier to find. You can also share your artwork in this forum thread.
You should credit your partner and possibly link to his line art in the description of your artwork.

Deadline of submission: Sunday 20th of May

Dates:
Friday 13th of April - Sunday 29th of April Lineart Phase
Monday 30th of April - Sunday 20th of May Coloring Phase.

Good luck everyone, and I'm looking forward to receive your entries!

Feel free to ask questions below.

IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2018 at 7:04pm
Participants :

IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2018 at 3:44am
Submissions have been closed, all line art has been sent to a random participant, I shuffled the order on random.org

Let me know if you haven't received anything or if you have questions, or feel free to contact the person you've received line art from!

Good luck coloring, show off your skills and transform this 1bit image into something epic, and upload it to the gallery before the 20th of May! :D When you submit, feel free to also share your work in this thread.
IP IP Logged
JerryPie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote JerryPie Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2018 at 2:03pm

This is the line art I received made by the masterful Jackhummer! It's suppose to be a poor man and money, hopefully I didn't stray too far.

The one big correction I made was flipping the old man, I felt the composition of the image wasn't as strong originally facing left.

I'm pretty busy normally, but this was so fun I just decided to finish it in one sitting. I thought a Mrmo approach would work best with this type of line art.

Here's a work in progress gif.

IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:23am
@JerryPie; This is an amazing piece. Great, great job!
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:08am
Some more inspiration on how to color line art from an old PJ challenge here!
IP IP Logged
Arkan85
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Arkan85 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2018 at 6:09am
Here they are: Jeremy's lineart and my colored version.
I hope you like it (and I hope to have met Jeremy's expectations)

IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2018 at 6:43am
i love it dude! the bird is especially great.

here's my coloured version of Nevercreature's disney robots

IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:36pm
Love all the art, thanks for the beautiful rendering Irena :)

Lineart from Dexrunner

IP IP Logged
jok
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote jok Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:56pm
Hi
Lineart by Arkan85

thanks!
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:22am
The competition has finished! Thank you all for submitting your entries on time :D

Within 2 weeks the results will be published, but before that I want to know from you guys:

How did you enjoy working on this? Was it a fun/learning experience to be forced to work with someone else's material? Should there be more challenges where you're (randomly) teamed up with another artist?

Suggestions and feedback is welcome :)
IP IP Logged
Arkan85
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Arkan85 Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:32pm
I liked it. I don't know if I could find the time to partecipate again, but it was surely a good experience.
Maybe I've got the most interesting and inspiring lineart and it was an honor to work on it, and at the same time it was nice to see how another artist would have colored my lineart.

@Jok: very nice work  ...even if the original Falbalą* had skirt
(* english wikipedia calls her "Panacea")

It's like having a baby... I look at this art and I know I partecipated somehow in its creation but I can appreciate also the work of someone else... or something like that...
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:37am
Working with someone else is totally my thing, but somehow the theme wasn't very inspiring for me. I ended up drawing 2 unrelated character sprites.

Perhaps a theme that somehow tells me what to draw would help (e.g. like the ones we have in iso collabs). Otherwise the main idea is fine and I'd join again.
IP IP Logged
DexRunner
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DexRunner Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:18pm
I had a lot of fun with it! I do agree that the theme was a little vanilla, but I understand that this is a first time thing and we're kind of experimenting with it. The concept rocks, though! It puts and takes away pressure in different areas. In the one hand you don't have to worry as much about your own vision when it comes to coloring, but then again, you have to take into consideration what someone else was intending. I think the greatest part about it was that it evolves into something you didn't quite expect by the time you've finished it. I'd definitely try again when I have time. I liked having more time to work on it, but that's another double edged sword because I hate the waiting game to find out the end results.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 6:03am

RESULTS!!!!!

Eleven artists took part in the teamwork competition, for which the participants had to submit line art, and then had to finish someone elses line art to which they were randomly assigned!

This competition was judged by PJ members and moderators: Cyangmou, Jinn, Dawnbringer, slym, skeddles, skamocore, pyrometal, Mandrill and myself (Hapiel)

The winners:

First place goes to Jeremy (lines) and Arkan85 (colors)

Second place goes to Nevercreature (lines) and Jeremy (colors)

Third place goes to jackhummer (lines) and JerryPie (colors)

All of the other particicpants receive a participation trophy, check them out here!

Thank you everyone for taking part, and congratulations to the winners! I hope we can organise more interesting collaboration events in the future, feel free to suggest some!

IP IP Logged
JackHoll
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JackHoll Replybullet Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:46am
I was very inspired by the work of the guys, I will finish my work and throw off too.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version