WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Woman WIP 18+ Post Reply Post New Topic
Temessis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Temessis Replybullet Topic: Woman WIP 18+
    Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:31am
Currently working over female base for a little project. Criticism is welcome, because I'm not expert in anatomy . Style is "rough" so don't be scared of all of these "edgy lines". I know for sure I have to work over hands

IP IP Logged
Theo-Theo
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Theo-Theo Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:37am
The neck is too skinny and/or too tappered towards the top.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2018 at 7:26am
Assorted critique:
Why is she standing on her tippy-toes?
The pose looks off-balance, like she'll fall to the left and backward.
Her upper arms are too short, and this makes the whole arms too short. The lower arms are fine.
Her upper chest area (breasts, armpit, clavicles) seems disproportionately small. Grab some ref, especially for the armpit area. There's flesh that makes the arms smoothly transition into the chest that seems to be missing in your sketch.
IP IP Logged
Temessis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Temessis Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:09am
Thank you for answers! :)

@eishiya - She's standing on her tippy-toes because project assumes there'll be items like clothes which you can wear, including heels, so I avoid making two models just for being little higher

I tried to apply your opinions, also added simple shading (also not quite good, because I'm not expert in shading too :D). Project is for 18+ so models have to be a little exaggerated

These hands

@Edit
Added little shadow to breasts so they don't look flat :| and I shaded her leg so it looks like it's standing more further (but I think it doesn't look quite well). Also I think that I destroyed shadow on belly :D
IP IP Logged
Temessis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Temessis Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2018 at 5:43am
Well, after in-depth check I also see, as @eishiya said, that character is a little off-balance. That's why I tried to rebuild all character from scratch. Also made her bigger. I'll work now on final shape, because something is still not matching for me
Something with her right arm is incorrect and hands are too small

@Edit
Found good reference, tried to map muscles and shapes better. I will try to smooth some lines now and still I don't know what pose choose for right arm, peace sign won't work (in project)

@Edit2
Added AA to body. I'm wondering if I want to use AA or let it be edgy

@Edit3
Added arm, but I think that hands are too small again . Finally, background has been choosen.
IP IP Logged
32px
Seaman
Seaman

Quote 32px Replybullet Posted: 29 October 2018 at 9:25am
Not really understand why you chosen pixel instead normal art or vector. Your image too large for pixel art. More preferred style for your project I think is vectors like for example Darkest dungeon.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 29 October 2018 at 9:49am
AFAIK the Darkest Dungeon sprites aren't vector, just high-res raster art that's scaled down as needed.

I agree overall though, pixel art seems like a lot of extra work for no benefit at this size. High-res raster or vector art would probably be easier to work with and more flexible in this case.

The character still looks off-balance to me, although in a different way this time - they look like they'll fall backwards. I think it's because the knee is slightly too high up, making it look like the leg is bent a little (the thigh looks foreshortened). The shading might also play into it, and I'm sure the permanently tippy-toed look doesn't help with making the knee's apparent position. There's a lot of subtle stuff that comes into play at large scales like this xP
I don't have a solid suggestion for remedying the balance issue, but I'd probably shade the shin to make it look like it's not coming forward at the viewer, but it rather going slightly back, as it does in a natural/relaxed pose.

You're right that the hands are too small. Hands, from the bottom of the palm to the tip of the middle finger, are usually about the same length as the face from the chin to the natural hairline, perhaps that can help you get the size right? In your case, you've got the fingers sized correctly as far as I can tell, the palms are just too small. The palm is usually about the same length as the fingers (it varies between individuals, sometimes it's shorter, sometimes it's longer).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version