Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: 15 Color Palette Comp Post Reply Post New Topic
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Gecimen Replybullet Topic: 15 Color Palette Comp
    Posted: 13 August 2018 at 2:18am

Pixeljoint is holding another palette competition which is open to everyone and is quite simple.
Submit your 15 color unique + original color palette.
The winning palette will be used in PJs next ISOcollab. Other award winners may also be used in other events and challenges.

Add a rare trophy to your profile.

Competition closes in 2 weeks, August 28, 2018. (CLOSED!)

- The winning palette will be used on PJs next ISOcollab project. If you submit a palette you acknowledge that it will be used by others for the purpose of this project and credit may not be posted by participants if they submit their project piece to their gallery but you will get overall credit for it. These palettes are not to be considered art so please do not submit to your galleries. Its best to assume that others may use your palette beyond this project. By entering you are giving permission to others to use.

- Win a spiffy trophy + points which are rare and will look great in your profile.
+1000 Pts+500 Pts +250 Pts+100 Pts-HM*

* multiple honorable mentions may be awarded.

- Judges are your PJ Mods and select invited PJ members.

- Palettes will be judged on the basis of how it would work on the project theme, which will be kept a mystery to participants. But multi-purpose palettes always have a better chance.

- You may enter more than once but quality is better than quantity.

- A unique + original palette is the goal but a well balanced palette is very important even if your entry is monochromatic.

- Use this template for your submission.

You must name the HEX values and NO black - 000000 or white - FFFFFF

IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2018 at 6:11am
Submissions/Entry List
If you don't see your palette added to this post within 24 hours please contact a Mod or post a comment below.

StarlitSunset - Oh hell, pastel 15

Gyhoket

Drazile - DRZ15A

jeremy - Tūī 15

pyrometal - Acid 15

SnugBoat - Kirby 15

Eggy - Untitled

Eggy - SOFTY 15

CuriousBeefJerky - Magic 15

Nevercreature - Untitled

Axolotl - Axol15

mordfikosz - MORD15

Night - Equpix15

Fusionnist - Untitled

Reo - QUICK15

Ridley126 - Untitled

maruki - Summer Dream

AdigunPolack - AAP-RadiantXV

jok - autum15

jok - another one

IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2018 at 8:40am
That was fast! :D

Don't forget: The GrafX2 Toolbox v1.4 has a script to automatically generate the template (with all Hex-values filled in). You find it via main-menu: [Palette]-->[Special Ops]-->[To Brush]-->(PalTable w/ Hex-values). Or just run the script "pic_db_PaletteTablePJ.lua" directly. Just set colors to 15 and press OK.
IP IP Logged
StarlitSunset
Seaman
Seaman

Quote StarlitSunset Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2018 at 9:13am
Submitted my palette, and it hasn't been added here yet. Thank you c:
IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2018 at 10:03am
@StarlitSunset; submit your palette hear under this forum tread. As you can see in the above rules, color palettes are not considered a pixel art, so for this reason they can not enter the gallery.
IP IP Logged
StarlitSunset
Seaman
Seaman

Quote StarlitSunset Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2018 at 10:34am
@Irenaart - ooh, gotcha. That's what I get for half-assed reading.

Here's my first submission: Oh hell, pastel 15

Edit: Sorry, guys. Thanks for helping me format it the desired way. Here are the examples separately.

IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2018 at 10:43am
@StarlitSunset; really nice palette. But please upload it also in the form of the upper template (at the end of the rules ). It's very cute this way but in the end all the pallets will be placed one under the other in the same shape/format for better viewing.
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2018 at 2:10pm
@StarlitSunset: You can still post examples and mock-ups in this thread. Just keep the palette template in its original form.
IP IP Logged
Gyhoket
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gyhoket Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2018 at 2:56am
My submission - Impromptu-15

IP IP Logged
Drazile
Commander
Commander

Quote Drazile Replybullet Posted: 18 August 2018 at 11:03pm
DRZ15A

IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 19 August 2018 at 5:57am
Tūī 16

IP IP Logged
pyrometal
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote pyrometal Replybullet Posted: 19 August 2018 at 10:03am
Acid 15

By participating I automatically veto my priviledge to vote as a mod.

This palette is purposely designed to have minimal neutral colors. In fact their is only one (50% grey) to help with midrange color transitions.
IP IP Logged
SnugBoat
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SnugBoat Replybullet Posted: 20 August 2018 at 11:40am
Kirby 15

IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2018 at 3:02am

Eh, something random I guess, I made this several days ago but didn't feel like submitting it until now.
I have no clue how to test my palette properly.

EDIT: Here's another palette, this one a little more "perfected". I'm calling it SOFTY 15

I also forgot to mention I used DB's template generation script for Grafx2 for my palettes. Saves me the hassle of manually editing the given template, thanks a lot man!
IP IP Logged
CuriousBeefJerky
Commander
Commander

Quote CuriousBeefJerky Replybullet Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:33pm
Magic 15

Designed to do a range of magical effects, but has a lack of browns for wood and "natural" skin tones.
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 23 August 2018 at 3:01am
My entry 

An example:

IP IP Logged
Axolotl
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Axolotl Replybullet Posted: 23 August 2018 at 1:47pm

"Axol15"
IP IP Logged
mordfikosz
Seaman
Seaman

Quote mordfikosz Replybullet Posted: 26 August 2018 at 2:45am
My entry for the 15 color compo.
"MORD15."
IP IP Logged
Night
Commander
Commander

Quote Night Replybullet Posted: 26 August 2018 at 8:47am
Here's my palette, which I'll call "Equpix15":

Here's also a piece I made specifically to test it:

It was important for me to create a balanced palette, so this is how I went about it:

First, I decided to reduce the palette into 14 colours, leaving the 15th for later under the assumption it's probably going to be a neutral mid-tone.
Then I divided the palette into two main groups (A & B) 7 colours each -- shadows and lights. I decided to further subdivide the existing groups; requiring me to subtract one colour from each group, so that the new groups remain balanced and even.
Under the shadow group (A), the two major groups (1-3 & 4-6) each represented a different shade of shadow with one being darker than the other, and the remaining colour (13) which is also under the umbrella of "shadow", I decided to categorise as "black", basically being the darkest colour in the palette.
Very similarly, the light group (B) had two major groups (7-9 & 10-12), with one being darker than the other, and then the remaining colour (14), I categorised as "white", being the lightest colour in the palette.

Dealing with the colouration of the lights and shadows I went with a pretty classical approach, I first deiced that the shadows should lean to blue and the lights lean to yellow , imitating the blueish colour of shadows from the sky and the yellowish tint of lights from the sun, as seen in nature; doing this both unifies the entire palette , and creates a strong complementary contrast between the lights and shadows.
Knowing this, I also knew that the yellows technically should be more desaturated than other colours in the shadow group, and that blues should be more desaturated in the lights group.
Additionally, the shadows and lights followed the simple idea of shadows being greyer, and lights being more saturated, which makes the colours glow somewhat.
I ended up going with 3 base colours with different alternations in all the subdivided groups, those colours being blue, red and green, each colour respectively being generally darker than the one after.
The reds in the shadows group (1 & 4) ended up becoming more akin to purple, and the reds in the lights group a lot more saturated (7) and yellowish (10). The blues in the light groups essentially became cyans (8 & 11), or greener. The greens became lime coloured (9) and yellow (12).
Following the logic established before about the colouration of lights and shadows, the darkest colour (13) leans to blue, and the lightest (14) to yellow.

With the remaining colour (15), I went with a brownish one due to it being an important colour when it comes to nature, and also to give the yellow a proper shadow colour, and to balance the transition of the orange slightly to the shadows.

Some of the weaknesses that are quite apparent to me are the difficulty of creating skintones, the possible heavy reliance on purples when it comes to shadow transitions, and the lack of greys.
IP IP Logged
CuriousBeefJerky
Commander
Commander

Quote CuriousBeefJerky Replybullet Posted: 26 August 2018 at 12:34pm
Revisiting my palette, I noticed a lack of a middle neutralizer, and so combined the two oranges, added a middle grey, and adjusted the other colors to fit better.
As such, this is just an updated version of the same palette.

IP IP Logged
Fusionnist
Commander
Commander

Quote Fusionnist Replybullet Posted: 26 August 2018 at 1:05pm
Here is my entry for the comp.

test piece:

Links if the embeds broke:
https://imgur.com/a/WqTZFTL
https://imgur.com/a/3HWJ9eu
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 27 August 2018 at 8:55am
QUICK15

And my various doodles to test it out

It's usually very fun to judge these...but since I had started this why not post it.
IP IP Logged
Ridley126
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ridley126 Replybullet Posted: 27 August 2018 at 2:56pm
Thought I'd give it a try, here's my submission!

IP IP Logged
maruki
Seaman
Seaman

Quote maruki Replybullet Posted: 27 August 2018 at 7:55pm
here's mine
Summer Dream

IP IP Logged
AdigunPolack
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote AdigunPolack Replybullet Posted: 27 August 2018 at 11:59pm
Since I believe in saving the best for last, here is my newest and quite unusually interesting 15-color palette entitled AAP-RadiantXV specifically designed for this competition:

I have been seriously, thoroughly working and working all the two (2) weeks of competition time on perfecting it, as well as quite a ton of damn good tweaking to make it more of a rather unique well-balanced one while avoiding over-saturation on any of the colors period in order to make them all a whole lot more readable and pleasing to the eyes... which is all the main aim of my AAP-RadiantXV palette for just 15 colors in all.  It is quite excellent for creating skin tones, and specially designed with a *main* emphasis on easily making natural materials in mind as much more accurately as ever such as stone, rock, crystals, dirt, sand, slime, wood, mud, grass, blood, water, fire, and so rather much more like in this vital example of mine right here that I have just created to demonstrate how well this palette works in pixel-art form:

...and here now are the quick specs for my AAP-RadiantXV palette indeed to help get you an even deeper and better idea on how to use it, too:

Thank you so very much, everyone, and do enjoy this brand-new palette!!  ;)  And I quite especially thank all the wonderful staff at PixelJoint for coming up with this absolutely brilliant competition here that I thoroughly enjoyed entering, too!!!  !!
IP IP Logged
jok
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote jok Replybullet Posted: 28 August 2018 at 11:07pm

I don't follow the idea of 'all around' multi-purpose palettes too much. For every project, I try to construct a new one (to fit idea the best way) believing that doing otherwise would be an effect of laziness ;)
But here is quite fun, original (imho) palette. jok_autum15

As there is no yellow in this one above - here is another version too:

Ah, one more thing - this palettes are 6bit only. From my experience: more restrictions, more fun, and place for imagination :)

IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 29 August 2018 at 2:41am
This has been a wonderful palette compo, many thanks everyone for participating!

The compo is now closed.
IP IP Logged
jok
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote jok Replybullet Posted: 29 August 2018 at 4:36am

"Submissions/Entry List
If you don't see your palette added to this post within 24 hours please contact a Mod or post a comment below."

Hi - Do you plan to include my entry too?
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 29 August 2018 at 9:28am
Yes Jok your entry is in, but I can't edit this thread, will have to ask another mod.
IP IP Logged
jok
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote jok Replybullet Posted: 29 August 2018 at 10:11am
cool, thanks!
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 31 August 2018 at 4:30am
can you please also edit mine to be called Tūī 15, because i'm a dumb ass who can't read or count
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version