WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: A Flying Magician Post Reply Post New Topic
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Topic: A Flying Magician
    Posted: 05 October 2018 at 12:34am
After almost a year doing hi-res digital art. I came back to do some pixel art hoping I have improved in some aspect.

I want to make a 32x32 sprite that has the feeling of flying forward since I am making a shooter game. Is there anything that can be improve on this sprite? Any feedback is welcome and I'll be thankful for it.

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:42am
It looks more like a standing sprite to me, there's no sense of motion. The dress and hair appear to flare out as if there's no rushing air acting on them, the bow is perking up similarly. If the character is flying at constant velocity in a vacuum, then that's fine, but if they're accelerating or flying in an atmosphere, then things should drag.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 05 October 2018 at 6:56am

Bigger and better, I hope so.

Made the sprite larger as I realized the game would require a larger sprite. I tried to make the hair and dress flow smoothly while added some details since there are more spaces to work with, not sure if my effects are on point.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 05 October 2018 at 7:24pm
I think that looks much better! The dress and hair both look more like they're being pushed by the wind. The hair in particular looks very nice. The dress feels a bit too symmetrical, perhaps making the wavy folds be different sizes might work better, or at least moving them so that they're not so perfectly centered?

The bow feels a bit too cartoony compared to the rest of it. Think about what a bow is - it's a folded ribbon gathered up in the middle. There should be folds where it's gathered, and the bit in the middle is wrapped around the ribbon, it's not an independent object. Here's a ref image you might find useful.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:12am
Not really sure if this does the job. I tried to use your reference for the bowtie, but then I realized it's really different from the image. What do you think about it?

I also did some enemy designs, I'm trying to make sure they have the same style, not sure if really did:
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 07 October 2018 at 6:30am
I think that's a lot better! Here's a very slight edit on the bow to make it look a little more realistic:

I just moved the shadows near the centre bit up a bit, so it looks like the centre bit is on top of the bow, tying it together.

The skirt's looking good now too!

On the enemy design, I think the style feels consistent enough, but the shading is weaker, which is why it doesn't feel quite the same. When you're placing shadows, always think about what causes those shadows, what prevents the light from reaching the areas you're shading?

The enemy also appears to be standing on the ground, viewed from the side, how does that work with the shooting gameplay, if the player is shooting upward?
Consider making a mock-up with some very rough sprites and backgrounds, to give both yourself and people giving feedback an idea of how things should come together.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 12 October 2018 at 6:25pm
Sorry for the late reply. I got caught up with reports (uhhhh).

I am still working on the mock up as I am still deciding the enemy styles and the back ground. Nevertheless, I did a tree that would be used in the background, one with outline and one without it:

What do you think?
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 12 October 2018 at 6:48pm
The tree feels a bit like an egg with leaves glued all over it, there's no sense of it being a bunch of leafy branches.

Is the tree side-view, RPG-view, or...? I'm still confused about the camera/viewpoint of this game.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 13 October 2018 at 6:22pm
This is what my game would look like minus the UI part:

I have started doing the texture for the road yet, so I just did a simple fill.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 13 October 2018 at 9:10pm
Ah, I see. So the main character is flying just slightly above the ground?

You may want to tweak the trees and enemies so that we see them slightly from above (similar to a typical RPG view), rather than from the side. Since the camera is above the player character, it should also be above the enemies and trees.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2018 at 4:39am
I've decided to resize the whole game by making sprites 48 x 48 pixels as they would take too long to animate. I also come up with some enemy designs, the first one being a wisp, and the second one being a magician, and I tried drawing them being viewed from slightly above:

I feel like my designs are really bland... I am not sure what to do about it.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2018 at 5:29am
They're cute though :>

I think the player character looks fine, and will look better once animated. You can create more visual interest in the enemies by creating more contrast via values and, more importantly in this case, via hues. They're both using a very small range of hues, why not add some contrasting accent hues, similar to how you used yellow on the player character?

You could also give them more complex silhouettes by incorporating limbs, torn bits, etc.
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2018 at 4:30am
Wew this took a long time to make, but I'm finally finished with the player animation, What do you think?

I also made the contrast for the enemies larger. Oh and yeah you are right, they are cute :D
IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2018 at 7:08am
I've design the first boss for my game, and it looks like this, she is a druid.

I feel like I need some help on this one, since I can't see what problems there are when I look at it. I reused the palette of the wisp. I'll colour the line art after the line art does not need to be modified.
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2018 at 2:43pm
Like the other sprites, this one seems to be seen from the front, rather than from above.

The character is cute, but the design is rather bland. Why are they wearing what they're wearing? What are you trying to convey with their design? A character's appearance in a story is part of the storytelling, use their clothing (and props, and everything else) to tell their story. Personality, history, even their relationship to the main character can all be communicated through the design. Don't just stop at "they're wearing clothing".
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version