Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Diversions
Message Icon Topic: Skies of Chaos Post Reply Post New Topic
danieldiggle
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote danieldiggle Replybullet Topic: Skies of Chaos
    Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:06am

Hey guys, I hope this is ok to share in here.
We just launched the demo of our pixel art retro shooter! Of which the main boss asset I got some great help with on this very forum!

If you'd like to try it out you can download the demo via TestFlight here: 👉 https://testflight.apple.com/join/l31tKFJ 👈
(TestFlight is an Apple app that lets you try beta software)

There's an Android version in the works and sometime next week, hopefully, a wide/big screen PC demo too!

Oh and you can see a little trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf3XUv5m8Xg&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

IP IP Logged
ColorAcolyte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ColorAcolyte Replybullet Posted: 10 October 2018 at 5:56am
Hey just played this game, and I'll say the graphics are pretty neat!

However, the game has some design problem for shooters, which is enemies coming from the bottom of the screen.
Devs usually avoid spawning enemies from behind without warning, since it's the usually considered as the "safe zone" for the player. Therefore, betraying the convention of staying at the bottom would cause some frustration to the players. In addition, players generally can't react to things coming at both directions, as our brain processing capability is quite limited lol.

The next thing I'll like to talk about would be that the player's hitbox is a bit too large. I believe the hitbox you are using is the same size of the sprite, however if a single pixel of the bullet touches the player they receive damage, so the player perceived hitbox would be very larger for a typical shooter. Consider resizing it to maybe 80% or 75%, it'll make players feel like the game is fair as there would not be any one pixel hits.

Overall the art is on point, but I'll say some designs can be revised for better player experience.
IP IP Logged
yrizoud
Commander
Commander

Quote yrizoud Replybullet Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:54am
The art is lovely, but I'm also wary of the consequences of some artistic choices in terms of gameplay (screen shake and full screen flashes ? They were never used in oldschool shmups, and it's not because the technology didn't allow them easily). I am not an expert but I know there is a big shoot-them-up community, whose members routinely discuss the pros/cons of many features in the many games : bullet-hell types, raiden era, etc.
Be sure to have your game previewed in such community as soon as possible, so that if there are indeed some issues, you can adapt your plans accordingly.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version