WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: I need your feedback :-) Post Reply Post New Topic
O_MEG_A
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote O_MEG_A Replybullet Topic: I need your feedback :-)
    Posted: 27 October 2018 at 12:15am
Helloo guys, I am a newbie to pixel-art, and I have tried to publish 4 of my works on PJ main site, yet one of my works needs revision and I feel I need to hear from u guys, I need to learn from U. :-)

Here is my work:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/123742.htm

I have done this work in grafx2.(I am also a newbie user of grafx2! so bear with me!)

Best Regards
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2018 at 5:56am
This? http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/0x__r13181645221.png

The problem with it is that it seems to have automatically-generated gradients in the eyes, and possibly some automatic anti-aliasing elsewhere, as suggested by the fact that many of the colours are used for only one or a few pixels each.
Automatic gradients are only allowed when they're done in a way that's feasible to have been done by hand, e.g. manageable number of colours (with reuse), typically with well-defined clusters. Gradients consisting large of single pixels of unique colours go against the spirit of pixel art, since individual pixels and individual colours contribute almost nothing to the final result.
IP IP Logged
O_MEG_A
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote O_MEG_A Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2018 at 9:06am
Yes this: http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/0x__r13181645221.png (I used insert image button while I was writing the message-the small tree icon- but I think there is something wrong cause I couldn't see the image or the link to the image myself! That is why I tried to write the URL)

The image: I don't know what is wrong how can I solve the problem? Because I did most of it by hands and it took few hours! can I detect those small number of pixels and change their color? And by doing so will it be accepted?

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2018 at 9:49am
You can use the PJ Image Specs tool to detect the infrequently-used pixels, though you'll have to replace them by hand in your source file.

For the gradients in the eyes, I think the simplest option would be to pick a few colours you like, and then draw the gradient by hand as a series of concentric circles using those colours, instead of trying to make a smooth gradient with a large number of colours. Those eye-gradients in particular look out of place since the rest of the piece has a low-colour-count approach.

The horns look like they were perhaps resized automatically, as they seem to have some blurring and a sharpening halo around them. I think going over them by hand to correct the halo and replace the AA with a few carefully chosen colours would make them look better.

Although this isn't an acceptance issue, you could improve the overall appearance of this piece by adding some hue-shifting, changing the hue of your colour ramps as they get darker/lighter. For example, when fading from bright red to black, don't just use a bunch of progressively darker reds, go from red to darkish red-purple to dark purple to black. When shading greys, it's particularly helpful to introduce some hues in there, since greys tend to look boring.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version