WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Stained Glass Post Reply Post New Topic
snv
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Online
Quote snv Replybullet Topic: Stained Glass
    Posted: 02 December 2018 at 9:08pm
Not a pure pixelart, but I do retouch it on pixel level. No reason converting it to limited palette, beside getting it approved for PJ gallery.

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2018 at 5:25am
It appears to be squished in game, and a lot of the important details, like the figure, aren't readable. You may want to adjust the composition to work at the final viewing size.

This is more of a nitpick, but stained glass windows only appear in their colourful glory from the inside. Outside, they look dark and boring, since there's no light shining through them. It might be a nice touch to have an exterior version of the window. It might also help the interior feel less dull in comparison to the exterior, since it'll have that touch of violet that the exterior would not.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 03 December 2018 at 7:09am
Originally posted by eishiya

This is more of a nitpick, but stained glass windows only appear in their colourful glory from the inside. Outside, they look dark and boring, since there's no light shining through them. It might be a nice touch to have an exterior version of the window. It might also help the interior feel less dull in comparison to the exterior, since it'll have that touch of violet that the exterior would not.

The problem is that I use "autotiling", and it is relatively hard to determine what part is on interior, without tracing whole structure's hull or doing raytracing towards sun. Also, if player rotates map by 90 degrees (isometry allows that), then all interior tiles will turn into exterior, and wise versa. And if the roof gets destroyed, interior could turn into exterior too.

And raytracing is expensive, when you do it each tile in a 128x128x32 tiles box.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2018 at 1:31am
Made new UI panel:
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2018 at 1:26pm
Doing even such simple animation is really a challenge with GIMP, compared to Photoshop, where everything is cakewalk. Still easier than programming a particle system script in Blender.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 01 January 2019 at 5:24am
Update on The Spell of Mastery
The progress is steady. Today I fixed numerous issues with AI improperly handling doors, shooting through them, and the doors themselves not blocking the line of sight. Also fixed the bug when door gets closed on a unit standing inside of it, blocking it. There is still that AI pathfinding bug with portals, leading to endless loop, but for now I just added a loop detection hack, because non-euclidean geometry is hard. Also, imps now finally useful, and can dig underground, allowing to complete some missions quicker.

These auto-generated dungeon levels are still not balanced and some are probable impossible to complete, unless AI's spellcasting gets limited. Guess I should just put it into early access and let the players to complain. But TODO list is still huge, so it is not going to happen in observable future

IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2019 at 2:06pm
Finally! A zombie. As always, very rough work, just to have something in game.

IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 04 January 2019 at 10:57am
Ankh. Modeled in blender, then edited in GIMP. Not the easiest or most efficient workflow. Dunno if I there is any reason converting these magic effects to pixelart, because they are shown for a second, and being blurry only adds to the style.
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:22pm
Hire monster icon. Maybe it should be just simple outline?
IP IP Logged
LiteraryPixels
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote LiteraryPixels Replybullet Posted: 03 February 2019 at 12:01am
I quite like the art of the monster, but it does seem a bit jarring to have such a detailed piece of art next to such a flat, thick plus. That makes me think that simplifying the icon may indeed be a good idea.

In general, the game seems very cool!
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 06 February 2019 at 5:43am
Made a playable preview release:
https://nikitasadkov.itch.io/spell-of-mastery-demo

Suggestions are welcome.

IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2019 at 2:42am
Animate zombie a bit. Also a lot of changes to game's demo, including fluid dynamics, rain and smooth fog of war! https://nikitasadkov.itch.io/spell-of-mastery-demo

IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2019 at 4:51pm
Some more biomes.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version