WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: First time trying pixel art Post Reply Post New Topic
Mothpal
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Mothpal Replybullet Topic: First time trying pixel art
    Posted: 09 December 2018 at 5:12pm
I've always wanted to get into pixel art, decided to finally give it a go, this is my first real attempt at it, any feedback would be helpful!

It was done in GraphicsGale with a 100x150 palette
It's fanart for the character "Kurogiri" from My Hero Academia

IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2018 at 3:18pm
You've got a good start, so props for that.

first and foremost the best advice i can give you is to avoid dithering. it is best used only and exclusively on two scenarios: one of them is giving texture to a rough surface and the other one is working under strict palette restrictions. the reason for the later one is that dithering per-se is not part of the shading process itself, but instead one of the techniques you can use to ease the transition between colors when you can't afford to use one tone to do that work(something that often happens when you work under palette restrictions).

this is however completely up to your own experimentation, so don't take my advice as something set in stone: if by experience you feel comfortable with how dithering works for you then by all means do your best and work with it.

the second piece of advice i can give you is to read about volume and shading. your sprite has a minimum amount of shading but it is barely trying to convey the actual shape of the character or the volume of his body - something you achieve by means of using highlights and shadows. either look upon tutorials(like the one here on pixeljoint) or look around you as to how light and shadows interact with the objects around you. the human body is made of multiple shapes so it might be a bit hard to follow, but simpler objects like cilinders and cubes might be a good study on the subject.

lastly, just remember to enjoy and have fun. pixel art is all about practice and enjoyment.as long as you want to challenge yourself and have fun while doing so you'll fit right in in the medium.

good luck o/
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Metaru

first and foremost the best advice i can give you is to avoid dithering. it is best used only and exclusively on two scenarios: one of them is giving texture to a rough surface and the other one is working under strict palette restrictions. the reason for the later one is that dithering per-se is not part of the shading process itself, but instead one of the techniques you can use to ease the transition between colors when you can't afford to use one tone to do that work(something that often happens when you work under palette restrictions).

The problem is that people misunderstand dithering. They go to say spriters-resource.com and see a lot of dithered sprites from NES games. So they conclude that dithering is part of some old style and try to replicated it. But back then graphics was displayed on lowfi CRTs and analog cables, which had color bleeding, in effect blurring nearby pixels and producing more colors than there was. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version