WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: ninjavivi's corner Post Reply Post New Topic
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Topic: ninjavivi's corner
    Posted: 14 January 2019 at 10:46am
Hello hello, I'm creating this thread as tracking log for my pixel art.
All C&C's are welcome, but please take me easy as I'm (soon to be very obvious) only just beginning with PA Smiley , I will take any help I can get, and be extremely grateful for it.

Currently I'm going through a number of tutorials, hoping to improve.

Here are my experiments for today :

I started with something very simple, black & white, just to get the correct setup in Photoshop and begin to dabble.
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 14 January 2019 at 10:52am
Today I tried to do a character's face, and it came out, well terrible :

which is a bit strange, because I've been drawing faces since I was a young girl. I feel very lost. I'm thinking it's probably the fact that I looked at pixel art as an entirely different art than classical art.
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 14 January 2019 at 10:56am
Day 3, I went into reading a number of tutorials, about Anti-Aliasing, about palette and shading, so I've tried each. I've tried to do anti-aliasing on a few simple lines, then created my own palette from monochromatic colors, then tried to do shading on three different shapes, and then tried to place a straight light on a cube.
I also used the palette from the old GameBoy.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, I think I could really use some guidance in improving.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 15 January 2019 at 6:03am
I'd be wary about adding too much, because it make the lines and art more blurry than is needed, as well as the fact that some of the colours are redundant and lead to banding

IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 15 January 2019 at 1:20pm
Hi Ash Crimson, thanks for the reply !
Are you referring to the AA, or to adding too many colors ?

For Day 4, I tried a side-view character, using the clusters approach :

I didn't respect the action line in the start, so it came out all wrong. I'll keep on practicing.
IP IP Logged
AshCrimson
Commander
Commander

Quote AshCrimson Replybullet Posted: 16 January 2019 at 3:48am
Originally posted by NinjaVivi

Hi Ash Crimson, thanks for the reply !
Are you referring to the AA, or to adding too many colors ?

For Day 4, I tried a side-view character, using the clusters approach :

I didn't respect the action line in the start, so it came out all wrong. I'll keep on practicing.

Both, there was too much aaing making it blurry and the colours had very limited contrast (beyond the original 4bit gb palette)
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2019 at 3:22am
@AshCrimson thanks for the advice ! I'll take it easy on the AA :) . I'm still learning on the color palette, as I feel quite limited on colors, and I'm not entirely certain how to mix them, where to start and how to follow.

My art for days 5 & 6 :

I'm still having difficulties in choosing color palette, finalizing lines and doing proper shading, definitely would welcome any advice on that.
I'd like to ask : how do I build or connect colors on the ramp ?
Is hue-shifting restricted to neighbor colors or can I jump to other hues not connected to actual color ?
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 23 January 2019 at 2:10pm
Day 7 progress :

and day 8 :

I still don't know how to shift hues correctly, I understand the theory, still I'm not certain how to apply it in practice, so I'd like to ask : what are your pipelines? do you choose colors manually or do you have a process, perhaps choosing a distant color and doing gradients ?
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2019 at 10:05am
Really good start! Although that dog could be future improved.
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 25 January 2019 at 5:00pm
@snv - thank you ^^. Yes I felt the same way, the legs specifically, however I'm not certain how to do that. It was my first PA attempt at an animal :) .

Day 9 progress. My first experiments at game-like side view, and went with 100 x 100 pixels. I don't plan to increase the pixel size until the level of my quality increases by a lot.

could really use advice regarding this view, and regarding the past pieces.

I'd like to ask, what am I doing wrong ? Am I ignoring any pixel art techniques ? is there any advice I should be following more ?
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 26 January 2019 at 2:48am
>Yes I felt the same way, the legs specifically, however I'm not certain how to do that.

1. Reference photo.
2. Drawing same animal and its parts at different angles and detail.

I heard a few renaissance painting were done by several artist, each of whom trained at drawing different things (one did fish, other did rare flowers, etc...). As I understand it, realistic art is 95% training by drawing from reference and the other 5% talent. Non-realistic/cartoon art also includes training, but also analysis of what features to exaggerate.
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 28 January 2019 at 5:09pm
Thank you very much snv. Realized I should make art with references more.

Day 10 :

On the purple dress girl with bunny, I tried not to use reference for the experiment. I used trial colors for theory, did hue shifting yet I'm not sure if I selected the right warm and cold colors. I chose colors by putting a blue and yellow layer on top of the palette and change its opacity numerically and by intensity so it blend with original colors and create new warm and cold colors. not entirely sure about it. Also did some external AA. Realized I should make art with references more.

Day 11 :

The girl in the jumpsuit is inspired by Fool's pixel artwork. I created the character with the use of his color palette and tried to study his art style.
IP IP Logged
NinjaVivi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote NinjaVivi Replybullet Posted: 01 February 2019 at 6:10pm
Aside from poses, I still struggle a lot in choosing colors. I guess I have to practice more. The round shapes are some of my color experiments. Used compound colors on the blue armored guy then used complimentary colors on the greenish knight.

IP IP Logged
LiteraryPixels
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote LiteraryPixels Replybullet Posted: 02 February 2019 at 11:57pm
I just wanted to let you know that your rate of progress is excellent! You can really see massive improvements in your style and technique over a very short period of time.

For your most recent pieces, I notice that the top character's right foot (the one that is facing us directly) is a little lacking in definition and shading. On the bright side, you don't have this issue with your knight. Additionally, the perspective on the knight's cloth skirt seems slightly off. I do particularly enjoy the shiny highlights that you added to the knight's metal armor, though!

In general -- great work!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version