WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Golem Character WIP Post Reply Post New Topic
buffy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote buffy Replybullet Topic: Golem Character WIP
    Posted: 08 February 2019 at 1:42am
Heya!

Looking for some help with my character!

Because I'm ill-disposed to armour and weapons, I figured my character should be some kind of golem made of earth, that can morph her limbs into blades when needed.

However, I'm having some difficulty conveying that she's not a nude fleshy human.

Using the DB32 palette.

What I'm wondering, is:

• Is she too nude looking? How could I convey that her body is made up of earth within the limits of the palette and surface area? Or should I go for rock/marble instead. Or perhaps concede and change the palette?
  • I'd like to avoid using orphan pixels to convey eyes&mouth. So should I try and obscure the face somehow, or is it okay as is, or is there are an alternative to orphan pixels?
  • It's my first time doing anatomy, so any criticism in that area is also greatly appreciated. :)

Brutal honesty is always welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Have a nice day!
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 08 February 2019 at 1:35pm
Your character is too small to maintain fine texture details. I suggest you exaggerating details.  At least you will have some space to apply texture. Here is my quick attempt at golem in you 23x43 frame / db32 palette - I made both hands, head and torso large to have enough space to texture them properly (still not readable enough - these gave to be rocks in place of lips):
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version