WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: I think I'm failing the perspective Post Reply Post New Topic
Aureus
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Aureus Replybullet Topic: I think I'm failing the perspective
    Posted: 18 February 2019 at 8:08am
Greetings!
I spent the entire day on this picture and I wanted to move towards adding some shadows / additional textures and trinkets, but I Think I somewhat failed with the basics. I don't know how to grasp the isometric perspective, and I was wondering if anyone could take a look and explain what I'm doing wrong an how to fix it.

I plan to learn this style and pallet as much as I need to master it, hoping to use it one day for my game. If you think this whole picture is terrible and you think I should spend hours on fixing it, I'm ready to do it - I'm just too bad to do it without some directions. : (

Thank you so much for your time!
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2019 at 6:38am
If you want to taught yourself isometry, I suggest you to start with something simpler, like squares, boxes, balls and cylinders. Train drawing these objects at different angles. Or you can just render your stuff in blender and then paint over it - it will look perfect, you will get a lot of likes and nobody will notice you cheated anyway :P
IP IP Logged
Aureus
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Aureus Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2019 at 12:15pm
Hello again.
I don't know how to answer this suggestion.

After another day, I think I've made a progress as far as the shapes and perspective go:

However, I can't handle the shadows at all. In my previous work, which was, as I understand, not-isometric, it was very easy to make simple shadows, like this:

However, in the isometric attempt it constantly escapes me. I just can't figure out how can I repeat this approach. Any suggestions?
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2019 at 1:25am
The roof on that castle is incorrect. At your angle in isometric perspective it would be impossible to see the other side's slope.
IP IP Logged
Aureus
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Aureus Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:51am
I tried to re-draw this roof many times, just because I can feel there is something wrong about it, but I can't put my finger on the right solution.

Here is the newest version of the military camp!
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2019 at 10:00am
Well, I suggest you can take points in 3d space and project them onto the plane. Or just use something like Blender, 3dsmax or Maya - all allow setting up orthogonal projection. Your roof should look closer to that:

That projection you're using is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_projection#Military_projection

It is unusual for video games, due to numerous reasons. I know only a two games using it: Warcraft 2 and Ultima Online.
IP IP Logged
Aureus
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Aureus Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:05pm
Oh, I see! Thank you for letting me know and for showing me the example!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version