WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Newbie here: Critique my Draw, helpme to improve ! Post Reply Post New Topic
Sociopath
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sociopath Replybullet Topic: Newbie here: Critique my Draw, helpme to improve !
    Posted: 15 September 2019 at 2:09pm
Hi, I'm starting to draw pixel art and i'm a bit newbie, trying to improbe, would be great if you guys can give me some advice about colors, forms about my draw, its supposed to be gray fox from metal gear

IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 15 September 2019 at 7:28pm
The legs have a readability issue because of the way they’re shaded—that is, the left leg (right leg from the viewer’s perspective) looks as if it is completely behind the other. In a standing pose such as the one in your pic, even the leg furthest away from the light source will still have some light reflected onto it. The left arm (right arm from viewer’s perspective) has the same issue.

I'd also suggest thinking about where exactly the light source is in relation to the character. If it's coming from the upper-left of the image, more of the front of his body (including his left arm and leg) should have highlights to express that.

Beyond that, the only change I can think of that would improve the piece is to match the mask's look on both sides. As it is, the mask looks curved on the right side of the piece, but not on the left side. (The straight line all the way down that side to the bottom of the mask creates that look.) See if you can find a way to make both sides match, possibly by changing the shading on the left side.

The overall design of the sprite is good, though. I like the colors and the pose as they are. Make those few tweaks I mentioned and it’ll look even better.
IP IP Logged
Sociopath
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sociopath Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 11:27am
Originally posted by StoneStephenT

The legs have a readability issue because of the way they’re shaded—that is, the left leg (right leg from the viewer’s perspective) looks as if it is completely behind the other. In a standing pose such as the one in your pic, even the leg furthest away from the light source will still have some light reflected onto it. The left arm (right arm from viewer’s perspective) has the same issue.

I'd also suggest thinking about where exactly the light source is in relation to the character. If it's coming from the upper-left of the image, more of the front of his body (including his left arm and leg) should have highlights to express that.

Beyond that, the only change I can think of that would improve the piece is to match the mask's look on both sides. As it is, the mask looks curved on the right side of the piece, but not on the left side. (The straight line all the way down that side to the bottom of the mask creates that look.) See if you can find a way to make both sides match, possibly by changing the shading on the left side.

The overall design of the sprite is good, though. I like the colors and the pose as they are. Make those few tweaks I mentioned and it’ll look even better.

Thanks for the detailed feedback I apreciate it. I have been looking some human forms with a similar light and I tryed to reproduce it, also changed bit the foot and the mask

IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 3:01pm
The leg and arm no longer have the readability issue I mentioned, the mask looks consistent all around, and the shading is much more consistent all around. Excellent work with those changes!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version