Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : The Joint
Message Icon Topic: Hansel & Gretal Room Post Reply Post New Topic
MashPotato
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote MashPotato Replybullet Topic: Hansel & Gretal Room
    Posted: 06 August 2007 at 8:58am
I've started on another Joint room, based on the witch's house made of candy in the story Hansel and Gretal 
It's still a bit early so the colours haven't been finalized yet and there's stuff missing (I plan on putting Hansel in that cage, with Gretal shoving the witch in the oven), but if you have any ideas for candy-related details I could add, or any other general suggestions/iso crit, they are welcome.  Thanks!

UPDATE:

UPDATE #2:

UPDATE #3:

UPDATE #4:

FINISHED:

Edited by MashPotato - 11 August 2007 at 12:03pm
IP IP Logged
Stickman
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Stickman Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2007 at 5:48pm
Wow! Very edible indeed! I was thinking about maybe having chairs or stools that resemble Smarties/Maltesers. But there's quite a bit in there already, so that idea might clutter things too much when you put the characters in...

It's looking great by the way!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2007 at 6:50pm
What a great idea >:(

Maybe you don't really care about the template as I do when making Joint rooms. I would treat the walls as cake/dough/gingerbread and have some devilish cream/chocolate/jelly oozing from the holes and treat the pink on the walls as icing on the edges only to tie the room interior to a fantasy structure. I think it would help get the sweet across really well...

...hungry
IP IP Logged
MashPotato
Commander
Commander

Quote MashPotato Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:04pm
Stickman: Thanks, and those stool ideas might come in handy because even after I add the characters I think there's still going to be quite a bit of empty space

Originally posted by jalonso

What a great idea >:(

Haha, do you know how hard it was to come up with idea that you hadn't done yet?   Maybe a library?  Oh, Jal's already done it.  A fancy ballroom? Jal's done it!  YOU'VE RUINED IT FOR EVERYONE!!!

Maybe you don't really care about the template as I do when making Joint rooms. I would treat the walls as cake/dough/gingerbread and have some devilish cream/chocolate/jelly oozing from the holes and treat the pink on the walls as icing on the edges only to tie the room interior to a fantasy structure. I think it would help get the sweet across really well...

Thanks, I really like that oozing-cream from the holes idea   I'm a little unclear on what you mean by treating the pink on the walls as icing on the edges only, though... do you mean, get rid of the striped wallpaper, texture the walls as cake/whatever, and only leave the the top of the template flat?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:12pm
:p

No, I meant leave the walls as real wallpaper like you have. If you make the walls 'cake' then just treat the 'edges' or 'frames' as icing so that they are in scale to the cake but serve as a transition between the real room and the fantasy cake walls. What I'm trying to get to is that if you use suggestion for the sweets, then you don't really have to detail it in to get the idea across. Even if you do add lots of details which I would it would still serve to get the idea across...

... urghhhhhh, creative angst :'(
IP IP Logged
MashPotato
Commander
Commander

Quote MashPotato Replybullet Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:19pm
Thank you, I think I have a better idea of what you mean now

Originally posted by jalonso

... urghhhhhh, creative angst :'(

heheh
IP IP Logged
MashPotato
Commander
Commander

Quote MashPotato Replybullet Posted: 07 August 2007 at 6:54pm
Double-posting is allowed for updates, yes? 

I decided to get rid of most of the iron, including the cage... while I liked the contrast it had to the rest of the room, it also kind of destroyed the motif.  So, Hansel will now be trapped in some sort of giant cupcake, and the oven door will now be realistically made out of gingerbread (still need to add some texture to that)

And thanks again for the making-the-walls-cake suggestion Jalonso, I think it makes a huge difference!

IP IP Logged
MashPotato
Commander
Commander

Quote MashPotato Replybullet Posted: 10 August 2007 at 8:26pm
Eek, triple-posting
Here is an update, I'm a little worried about readability... any ideas for random things to throw in are appreciated (plus C+C, of course ).  Thanks!

EDIT:
Quadruple-post?   Nah, better not .  Done

Edited by MashPotato - 11 August 2007 at 12:04pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version