WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: WIP Female Fighter (nudity, kinda)(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: WIP Female Fighter (nudity, kinda)
    Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:52pm
8 frame, idle stance, nude base before final.

Going to try to get most of the corrections in before I submit to the gallery this time. So critique away!

Note:

Only 2-3 frames has finished linework and shadow softening on the body. (which explains the flashing lines)
The hair (not rendered) is just colored that way to differentiate the parts, shes not going to be a red head.
Boob bounce (although hypnotizing) will most likely get changed when she gets some clothes. (and a bra) Otherwise, its pretty much my signature trait with these animations.

Heres close to what she'll eventually look like (atleast hair wise). Still thinking out the costume. Roommate was watching Sin City, so...
IP IP Logged
Pixelarg
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 12:55am
good anatomy but the anim is not good :P is a really "brute"...

she no have a good point of gravity :P and the anim is really exaggerated

I recommend you watch a gifs of females fighters :)
http://whf.monobasin.net/streetfighter/sf04.html
boob bounce girl xD:
http://whf.monobasin.net/kof/kof02mary.html
http://whf.monobasin.net/kof/kof02maryb.html

and more:
http://whf.monobasin.net/

:)

Edited by Pixelarg - 31 May 2009 at 1:04am
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 4:17am
Hmm. Once again, I think that the boob impact is too much; something that could at least partially fix that is slowing the up->down movement.
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 7:52am
Pretty cool, but the boobs may be a little too bouncy.
IP IP Logged
A.B. Lazer
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 8:40am
I think that they bounce NOT ENOUGH. At lowest points (left and right) they stop vertical movement too fast and rest on the same height for too ling like they hit something solid

Edited by A.B. Lazer - 31 May 2009 at 9:42am
IP IP Logged
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 11:50am
Added 1 frame each after her downward motion to give weight to her movement (10 frame animation now).
Boob animation smoothened, although its kinda redundant since she'll be wearing something that'll lessen the bounce considerably, unless I plan to have her fight naked (not happening).
Her right thigh (our left, viewing) needs tweaking since the extra frames were just altered duplicates of the frame before them.

After repeated viewing, I'm seeing the leg movement a bit irksome. I have an idea, but any suggestions  be helpful. Hair looks fine for the most part, it'll look more solid rather than giant anime strands when its finally rendered. I want to say the arms are good, but something bothers me about them, but redoing them makes my head hurt (atleast the one thats drawn over the torso).

Edited by radolfo - 31 May 2009 at 12:10pm
IP IP Logged
Claes
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 1:36pm
Boobies! Joink!

I find the hair to be a bit of a problem myself, as it feels way to solid for that type of movment. As the boob movment is very dynamic, it feels strange that the hair is not acting in the same way, I do think you need to rething to hair to have a more simular dramatic movment as the chest has.

Also, now that I take a closer look (above the chest, hohoho, got to keep my eyes in check) is that the neck also feels a bit stiff, I guess you can say that she is in a concentrated combat stance, but consithering the movment of the body, that feels rather relaxed, the head and neck should also be following it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Also, can se the leg problem aswell, her right legs knee is having a rather jagged movment at the moment, almost looks like its jumping up and down. it should be alot smoother as her left leg is.
IP IP Logged
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 5:23pm
New leg movement. Mostly her right side.
Working on head movement now.
IP IP Logged
Pixelarg
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 7:21pm
translated by google:
Try to move well.

the real fight idle is a set of heels and metatarsus, and your drawing rests on a foot. a single rose talon.

again; try to move well, is really uncomfortable.
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 8:17pm
That's true too, actually. How difficult is it to move back and forwards like that with feet flat to the ground?
I think what Pixelarg is trying to say is that the back foot should be resting on the metatarsel area and the front on the heel? At leaswt the back foot should be moving at some point (I think :S)

When the (her) left foot lifts like that the ankle gets really thin, if anything it should get thicker as it's more of a side view.

Booby bounce is cool now :)
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 9:03pm
Actually, I think the movement is just fine. I literally just got up and did the exact movement, and your motion is near perfect. Bouncing back like that left my right foot motionless while the ankle moved, my left foot pushed off at an angle, and my back bent out to give balance. I'll be the one to say don't change it, I guess. XD

Anywho, here are my suggestions:

1. The boobs bounce way too high and way too fast. The push up is faster, so the boobs should go down about one or two pixels further and probably 1 frame slower. Then they should pop up pretty quickly and then go back into the downward motion.

2. Her hair seems too flat. Doesn't really emulate the same motion as the body. D:

But, really, it's quite awesome so far! :3
IP IP Logged
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 31 May 2009 at 10:38pm
I've tried several ways of the idle pose in real life, and everytime my right heel never moves off the ground. Most of my weight is on the right side until I move forward, then its both sides. Maybe its the position or angle of the feet thats screwing it up... (yes big mirror, me doing the movement, still not seeing it)
Left heel is lifting but on her it doesn't look as obvious as it could I guess. Its not a complete side view. (which will bring into another headache I'll be dealing with soon... shadow)

Edited by radolfo - 31 May 2009 at 11:01pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 01 June 2009 at 1:16pm
I dunno man, this has looked pretty darn good from the beginning.
I think you are sweating the small stuff too much. When you begin to dress her use clothing details to fix 'issue' areas. If the ankle is wonky now just slap a buckle or something in that area. The focus is gonna be on the bouncing boobies no matter what you do. As long as the bouncy nicely it will be great.
IP IP Logged
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 01 June 2009 at 4:35pm
Colored the hair to concept.
Cleaned up the lines.
Softened the shadows.
Pulled her right foot back some to be more directly under her.
Shortened the height the boobs bounce up to.
Added a shadow that doesn't really relate to how the shadow is depicting on her body. (doesn't bother me though, since a true shadow would be a less interesting blob directly under her)
Sketching up background ideas now, before a final costume, so they match in theme.
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 June 2009 at 5:27pm
I like the slower frame rate. Flows much better now! 8D
IP IP Logged
smk
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 1:36am
I love the way you make those boobs!
IP IP Logged
Tentenn
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 9:30am

I think the boobs are still going up to high.

IP IP Logged
leel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 9:37am
Are you all too focused on the boob bounce to realize that her stance makes no sense?  If her attacker is on the right, why would her entire lower body face the left?  

I just tried standing in that position, and while it is possible though very uncomfortable, it seems pretty ridiculous for a fight stance.    Try it and you'll see. 
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by leel

Are you all too focused on the boob bounce to realize that her stance makes no sense?  If her attacker is on the right, why would her entire lower body face the left?  

I just tried standing in that position, and while it is possible though very uncomfortable, it seems pretty ridiculous for a fight stance.    Try it and you'll see. 

Wait there's something other than boobies in that pic?

Here comes the combat expert to the rescue!

Not only is it not ridiculous, it's a real fighting stance. That right there is, more or less, a military grappling stance. It's not meant for lower body movement. In fact the feet are turned sideways for a reason, so that the opponent won't be able to push you, giving you a rock solid footing to be able to grab you opponent.

The stance is fine. (If you're aiming for a grappling fighting style that is.)

Thus concludes greenie's military lesson for the day.
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
leel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:50am
I know the feet need to be sideways,  I'm taking about the hips and knees.  Also since one of the legs is longer, I assume it's more in front of the girl and the other further back, so it's not the solid sideways stance you're talking about. 

I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I've done some of the kicks and punches with this stance with an expert (only for like 2 hours, but still) so I have a very rough general idea of what's comfortable and what's stable.

Standing like this, isn't it.  Her knees are definitely bending/facing the wrong way.

Edit: I would love to see some pose refs, cause hey I could be wrong, maybe Greenie just has a much more flexible back and stronger ankles than I do, cause I keep trying this and it doesn't make much sense.    Try standing with your hips and knees turned to the right, and your chest to the left... and then punch something on the left with your right hand.   It'll probably hurt you more than it hurts whatever you punch.

Edited by leel - 02 June 2009 at 11:04am
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 11:29am
I said 'more or less' for a reason. Shaking your ass while trying to stay immobile isn't going to get the job done. XD

But that said, this is art. And in art 'practicality' goes out the window in favor of appeal.

Point and case: The chainmail bikini 'armor'.

radolfo is going to have to make one fundamental decision with the direction of this piece: More realistic, or more appealing. Maybe find some middle ground.

edit:

Also most of my fighting styling revolve around defensive stances like Hapkido, Judo, and Sombo.

You're right having you knees facing right and punching left doesn't make any sense. However, using your right leg to do a roundhouse kick to the back of your opponent's head does.

It's all about understanding what the body is capable from it's current position.

Geesuz, I think we're going to turn this into a combat thread. XD

edit 2:

I just tried this stance for myself.

A number of headlocks and low sweeps are possible from this position. But barely any useful mid-section attacks. It is a hi and lo stance.

The left leg is the pivot leg, and the right leg is the kicking leg. (You'd have to kick backwards, with the heel, not the toe.)
IP IP Logged
leel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 11:34am
Haha okay I'm convinced.  I'm not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out that if it looks awkward/weird to me, it might seem so to other people as well.  Whatever Rodolfo does with it is up to him now.

Though I still think her right ankle would hurt a lot :P
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Tentenn

I think the boobs are still going up to high.

I agree.
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 11:55am
Actually, you're not really wrong. And I'm not really right. So there isn't much to fight over. :P

It is awkward looking. That's because radolfo had put mixed signals into her 'flow'.

Having the feet sideways and pointing right suggests a defensive stance. Yet she's all perky and bouncy, suggesting an offensive stance.

Like I said, sometimes in art practicality takes a back seat to beauty.

No one is to blame really, most animators don't have combat expertise. So they only draw what 'looks good'. And then everyone else only draws what they see.

Truth is, most fighting games have VERY unrealistic fighting poses.

>
(The similarities in fighting styles is uncanny. Except the bouncy chesticles.)

Was I the only that went into an arcade, played Street Fighter, and thought to myself "there's something fundamentally wrong with those two"? radolfo isn't to be blamed here, Capcom is.

Edited by greenraven - 02 June 2009 at 11:58am
IP IP Logged
radolfo
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 1:03pm
Shifted the right leg back to original position to somewhat point her lower torso away from the left so she doesn't look like she's twisting her body so much. (bye bye shadow that took me a hour to do...sigh)
Moving forward rather than back. She's in a pose and movement that although may break the laws of physics and human capability, I'm content with at the level of realism I set out to do. (gawd, wait till you see her attack frames...ha ha, will make this look like perfect realism)
Makes no sense to fight in this getup... but I don't care. Its the whole practical vs appeal thing. (atleast she's not fighting naked... yet... jk... maybe)

The boob debate. I'm not even going to try to explain my reasoning for it anymore. I think I may have stated something back in one of my several other sprites where the laws of breast physics defied logic. Some like it, some are bothered by it, and some don't really care. I've toyed around with those jigglies too much that I'm sick of them. (in pixel form, not real life :P)

Maybe I'll pixel her opponent super realistic, and have her beat the crap out of her with her insane over exaggerated moves.

Atleast she's a big improvement from her initial sketch.

Here's who her opponent was going to be, the drunk chick from a previous sprite in my gallery.

Edited by radolfo - 02 June 2009 at 1:14pm
IP IP Logged
leel
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 June 2009 at 3:58pm
wow I can't wait to see the opponent pixelled =D
IP IP Logged
smk
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 05 June 2009 at 1:03am
Originally posted by leel

wow I can't wait to see the opponent pixelled =D

/agreed ;D
IP IP Logged
A.B. Lazer
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 05 June 2009 at 2:29am
All great except big toe on her left foot - it should be longer than the rest, but it's shorter.

Edited by A.B. Lazer - 05 June 2009 at 2:29am
IP IP Logged
H|F
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 November 2010 at 10:23pm

WISH YOU HAD AN UPDATE RADOLFO! This is really awesome

IP IP Logged
Zeratanus
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 November 2010 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by greenraven

Point and case: The chainmail bikini 'armor'.

Not that it invalidates your point, but thats totally scale armor, not chain :P

Anyway, it does look a bit weird to me as well, but I don't know much about fightin poses. Gotta be off to bed too so i dont have time to look into it. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow or somethin...
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 23 November 2010 at 1:49am
Don't necropost, k H|F.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version