Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Diversions
Message Icon Topic: Josh Astorian Post Reply Post New Topic
jharris
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote jharris Replybullet Topic: Josh Astorian
    Posted: 28 December 2009 at 8:06pm
Josh Astorian is in breech of contract with me.  I've paid him over a thousand dollars to finish some work for my feature film.  I would like to know why he isn't responding to my calls or messages.  The work is unfinished still.

Please help me.

Josh Harris
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2009 at 2:39pm
Hi Josh,

I am sorry for you, but I am afraid we are unable to help. There are not so many people around here knowing Josh very well.
This same topic has been brought up on pixelation, see here

However, Josh seems quite unfindable at the moment.

Good luck with your search,
Daniel
IP IP Logged
Antifarea
Commander
Commander

Quote Antifarea Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:35pm
Lol nothing personal, but doesn't this guy do that all the time? I think it's time to call the authorities on him. I know he's friends with a lot of you, but come on now, he's taken money from like 20 of you, doesn't that give you a hint? I mean if I were to literarilly take 20 bucks in advance from someone whom I promised doing work for, I will deffinitely tell the person whatever issue I'm going through, not just dissapear like that, plus this is america, there's free internet everywhere.
IP IP Logged
Pragz
Commander
Commander

Quote Pragz Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:03pm
Ah yes, because every library loves to have homeless people come and draw on their computers every day.

Edited by Pragz - 29 December 2009 at 4:03pm
Hello - I'm new here. :)
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:17pm
Welcome to the club.

His Pixel Joint profile.

And Antifarea, don't be so harsh. I'm not defending the guy, but the world isn't always so black and white. Sometimes sh*t just happens. I kind feel sorry for the guy.
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
Antifarea
Commander
Commander

Quote Antifarea Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:31pm
Greenraven = seriously, I brought this over to pixelation like a month ago, in which the guy himself even replied saying he was gonna pay people, but from what it seems, he's just taking money and taking money and not taking care of sh*t... seriously, I don't buy his story, I gave him the benefit on the doubt back then, but I don't play that game.

I can understand if he has done this to one or two persons, but that's enough, nearly every guy lately he ever works with, gets scammed and never get works done by him, seriously, if he doesn't have internet, then he shouldn't take on jobs, it's that simple.

Me being harsh? I'm not being harsh, just being realistic, and honestly, I think my "benefit of doubt" has a limit, as I'm sure many of the people affected here has already gone past that limit. the dude doesn't deliver the work promised, and he always seem to ask for money in advance... I think he's an scammer... I hope all of you respect my opinion, just the same as I respect yours which is thinking that he's this super nice guy who will one day eventually pay or deliver your work down.

Once again, you cannot be online? don't have a computer at home? then don't freaking ask for pay jobs online. Go get a job at walmart or burger king, but don't bother asking people to pay you money in advance for something you cannot do anymore.

EDIT: And look, I didn't lose 1000 bucks, that's why this is more or less me throwing my 2 cents on the situation... but if you guys are soo eager to defend him to death, then you should be able to give the affected person his 1000 bucks back, cause after all he's your friend isn't it? if you pay those 1000 dollars to the victim, then he should be able to pay you back... right? right? I'm gone I don't want to talk about this anymore.

Edited by Antifarea - 29 December 2009 at 5:05pm
IP IP Logged
cure
Commander
Commander

Quote cure Replybullet Posted: 01 January 2010 at 1:13pm
it's not as grey for those who've read the pixelation thread.
Which was already linked to. So I don't quite understand how you're able to defend this.
Seems life threw him a few curves, and that sucks. But that doesn't quite justify ripping off a LOT of people. I wish it weren't so, because I really respect Josh as an artist, but don't be so naive.

Edited by ThereIsNoCure - 01 January 2010 at 1:17pm
IP IP Logged
sharprm
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sharprm Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2010 at 7:35pm
"he's taken money from like 20 of you, doesn't that give you a hint?"

how do they know that though? If he contacts them via email and they aren't familiar with the forum how would they know?

I do agree with your sentiment that dishonest behavior should be condemned. But if you say what you think is true and not "everyone is nice there are no problems i'm a fluffy carebear love me" then you will have to be prepared to look harsh.

There is no easy solution to this problem imo. Unless someone is willing to offer Josh to stay at their place and use their computer, how can he get the work done?

A less specific solution you encourage everyone to use that thing where a third party holds the money until the project is finished.

The other thing would be to have reference when you apply (and hope this trend catches on and it becomes expected by people hiring). Like suppose 'thereisnocure' is the referee, when you apply for a job you say thereisnocure is my reference here is his special email. Then the hirer sends an email saying anteferea is going to get this job. Thereisnocure recieves the email and says:

"its cool"

"no no no the last 3 projects he didn't finish"

problem solved.  Could anyone be an agent (thereby making it useless) and or could you fake thereisnocures email? thereisnocure would have to put a page on a forum which says what his email is so hirers can verify it. also hirers could post saying thereisnocure is a good agent or not.

But why would thereisnocure agree to do this work? You'd probably have to give him a cut of the payment. Would people be willing to give a cut?
(I think I proposed solutions like this years ago at pixelation and people were like "you're just trying to make money" so let me be clear im not. I'm just proposing an improvement)

The other solution would be moderators of boards take responcibility without trying to take a cut. They already propose a "standard rate" of 15$ - 30 $ per hour why not go further?

Another solution is if there is a thread "i'm not dodgy". Whenever someone doesn't honor an agreement the hirer posts "damn sharprm cut and ran with 20$ US". So when you apply for a job you say check out this thread im not there. Problem though, what if someone pretends to be a hirer? How do you prove you didn't accept the job?
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by sharprm

Another solution is if there is a thread "i'm not dodgy". Whenever someone doesn't honor an agreement the hirer posts "damn sharprm cut and ran with 20$ US". So when you apply for a job you say check out this thread im not there. Problem though, what if someone pretends to be a hirer? How do you prove you didn't accept the job?

I like this idea. :D
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
sharprm
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sharprm Replybullet Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:28pm
The problem with the I'm not dodgy thread is because its not retrospective. It would need to be up and running for a few months before it would actually be able to warn people.

When u accept a job the artist would have to post (i accepted this job). But i think this would have to be in a seperate thread ("im not dodgy thread cross reference thread"). It shoudln't be "im good at completing work" only "im not dodgy" because how do you stop artists from posting fake jobs they accepted to make them seem prolific and good at completing them.

edit: it still wouldn't work unless both the hirer and the artist agreed to post in the cross reference thread. Another issue is what if the work is done but isn't satisfactory could the hirer hold the employee to ransom. Like on ebay if you don't give 5 stars for everything they give you a low rating until you agree to change it back to 5 stars. I'll start another thread in case jharris doesn't want to hear about this only about his particular project and artist.

Edited by sharprm - 03 January 2010 at 11:35pm
IP IP Logged
cure
Commander
Commander

Quote cure Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2010 at 1:32am
Another issue is this all seems a bit complicated to set up, and you can't be certain those doing the hiring would check all these threads first. It all seems a bit troublesome to work effectively in reality.

My solution is this:
We hire an assassin to kill Josh Astorian then we sell his organs for cash, effectively paying off his debts and thus resolving his sins, allowing his soul to enter heaven. Everybody wins.

Also we don't sell the heart because I would like to consume it and absorb his pixel powers. Thief or not that "Tribesman" piece was badass...

Edited by ThereIsNoCure - 05 January 2010 at 1:34am
IP IP Logged
IQbrew
Commander
Commander

Quote IQbrew Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2010 at 2:00am
If you devoured his heart, you'd be some sort of all powerful 'uber' artist.
Or you'd have heartburn.

IP IP Logged
homosapien
Seaman
Seaman

Quote homosapien Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2010 at 5:35pm
I'm doing what I can right now to rectify the transactions where I didn't complete the work as of now. I currently don't have consistent access to a computer so thats putting a huge damper on the situation. I know I really screwed up with all this crap, but honestly, I was and still am homeless and I thought I'd be able to do the work each time I took a job.

But just to make this clear, I don't owe the creator of this post $1000 worth of work. He did pay me $1000 and I did everything except maybe $200. Not saying thats much better but still, thats misleading.
IP IP Logged
cure
Commander
Commander

Quote cure Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2010 at 6:13pm
Glad to know you're still alive and working to solve all this. Sorry to hear things are still pretty sh*tty for you, hope it gets better.

...and I was kidding about the organs

Edited by ThereIsNoCure - 06 January 2010 at 6:14pm
IP IP Logged
sharprm
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sharprm Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2010 at 8:26pm
Maybe you could see if there is anyone in your state on any of the forums with an old laptop they don't want. goodluck
IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

Quote PixelSnader Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2010 at 3:54pm

Well then he'd still need a house with electricity and internet.

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
sharprm
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sharprm Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2010 at 4:39pm
There's always public places that can have power points to charge the laptop's battery. Maybe u would get mugged carrying a laptop though.
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

Quote AngelOTG Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:36pm
Just hide it in a pizza box. No one will steal your pizza box.

IP IP Logged
IQbrew
Commander
Commander

Quote IQbrew Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:40pm
That depends on what kind of Pizza it is.
IP IP Logged
IQbrew
Commander
Commander

Quote IQbrew Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2010 at 6:55pm
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I was wondering how this all worked out and couldn't find anything in it.
IP IP Logged
montonero
Seaman
Seaman

Quote montonero Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2012 at 3:12am
Ok, I wish I have read this before I paid Joshua Astorian $85 in advance for a mock-up yesterday.
He told me that (quote):
"Joshua: oh alright. well i'll be updating you as i progress, somethng like every hour or two"

Obviously there were no updates since then.

Leaving this message here - so other people don't become victims of his lies.

He is "Joshua Andrew" on Google Talk with this email: joshastorian@gmail.com
(I actually made a google search before by email and nothing bad came up - looks like he changes them often)

Edited by montonero - 27 October 2012 at 4:09am
IP IP Logged
amoto4640
Seaman
Seaman

Quote amoto4640 Replybullet Posted: 08 November 2012 at 7:48pm
:) I was cheated too, damn I wish he gets caught by someone soon.
I paid him 100$ :( as advance and no response after that. He cheated saying all lies like he is starving and has to feed his kid etc and he made me transfer immediately.
IP IP Logged
homosapien
Seaman
Seaman

Quote homosapien Replybullet Posted: 08 November 2012 at 8:38pm
I'm not even going to get into why I haven't been able to do the work for these people. Everyone is CONVINCED I'm this career criminal who rips everyone off who makes no attempt to rectify the situation, so I'm not even going to get into it- you all are you convinced I'm a liar, theif, etc. So, go ahead and believe it. I ask for advances because it helps me to have cash on hand while I'm working. Plus, believe it or not, I've been ripped off many times from employers who promise to pay upon completion and then don't.

I have barely had access to a computer for the past few months. I have a lot of trouble finding work outside of freelance artwork due the fact that I've never held any other kind of job. I'm supporting a family all on my own.
 ah
I am not ripping anyone off! I'm going to do everything I can to rectify these transactions, but its really hard because obviously I owe work to quite a few individuals. Its going to take me a long time.

I'll contact all of you in time. I'm really trying to fix this, guys.
IP IP Logged
montonero
Seaman
Seaman

Quote montonero Replybullet Posted: 12 November 2012 at 6:33am
Yes, you are ripping off people, otherwise the forum thread like this (and there are plenty of those) wouldn't exist.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/joshua-astorian/work-at-home/collinsville-illinois-63145.htm

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=8561.0

IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 30 November 2012 at 11:09pm
Joshua has actually done multiple jobs for META4 and always delivered the requested art in the end.

Not to forget his art quality is one of the highest I have recieved and the price was more then right!

Josh if you need a job you know where to go to!
IP IP Logged
rdellafave
Seaman
Seaman

Quote rdellafave Replybullet Posted: 28 January 2013 at 12:57am
Now you're just playing people for fools. You're quite readily online when you feel the need to scam someone, but conveniently disappear when they email you about the progress of the work.

And you immediately remove people from Skype as soon as you receive money. Explain that one Josh.

Why would you even commit to more work if you can't finish what you already have? It really makes absolutely no sense. I gave you weeks to complete the task, yet you ignored all my warnings. Your explanation and justifications hold absolutely no weight.

Stop trying to buy more time for yourself. It's not working.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version