WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Wilbot Game Project :> Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Robinhood Replybullet Topic: Wilbot Game Project :>
    Posted: 23 February 2010 at 2:28pm
Just made these for fun.  Probably never gonna be used in a game :<  I have no coding skills whatsoever.

Walk

Jump

Die

Mockup >here<

I'll probably complete remake the explosion, but I just wanted to see how it'd turn out.

C & C?

Edited by Robinhood - 26 September 2010 at 6:40pm
The Wilbot Game Project -
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 2:44pm
Love them!

Walk: you didn't apply the face move delay during the down move.

Jump: the bent knees are not visible because the body bottom line does not move.

Explosion: does he put his fingers into his ears? Hilarious! But you should show the fingers then. And he might bend a little in anticipation at some point.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 2:48pm
I dont get what you mean by face move delay :/
Thanks I'll fix the knees
He doesn't have fingers :c  But I'll bend him a bit ;)
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 3:07pm
When the body moves up, the eyes and mouth move up one frame late: delay. Good.
Not when the body moves down. Bad.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 3:25pm
haha, I didnt consider that, I'm used to emote physics

Better? Made the eyes be down for 2 frames also :/ I dunno, it might look better only for 1 frame.

Edited by TheRobinHood - 23 February 2010 at 3:30pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 3:45pm

Fixed knees too. :D

Edited by TheRobinHood - 23 February 2010 at 3:45pm
IP IP Logged
Perkele
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Perkele Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:42pm
The animations are lovely, there are only a few issues I object to the sprite:
-Banding at the head
-Why black edges? Use light colours instead to create depth. However, if you were aiming for that style, ignore this.
-Is his right arm fixed to the back? The whole arm should be moved one pixel closer to the cube-body in order to avoid the missing link and let both arms have equal lengths.
-Use lighter colours at the feet as well, again it would give depth.

A quick edit of the unanimated sprite:

IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:56pm
Banding is part of the style of the sprites as with the black edges.
(his POV) left arm is shorter than his right arm because the part closest to the body is not visible. I'll probably make the feet lighter.

Can you post the unanimated sprite using myfrogbag.com ?

The sprite isnt showing on my computer, but MFB always works.
IP IP Logged
Perkele
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Perkele Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2010 at 6:01pm
If most of my critics were your intention anyway, the edit is probably not neccessary, gonna show it again though:
(just used iaza to add transparency, guess you won't mind the white background)

As for the arm: If it is not, as I said, fixed to the robot's back, you missed one or two pixels, the link between body and arm.
After having added these though, the right arm would be one or two pixels too short, depending on where you placed it..
Eh, difficult to explain, just look at the edit
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2010 at 9:13am
Oh, I see what you mean.
Making all the suggested changes to all the sprites ATM. :D
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2010 at 12:26pm

Better?  Fixed the feet and arm.
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2010 at 12:50pm
But you have the eye/mouth delay the wrong way! They move before the body, should move after.

However, this edit shows it's probably not a good idea to have this delay: the sprite is too small for that, there are probably too few frames too. Whatever the reason, it looks better without.

Feet and arms look fine. Maybe the antlers could have a little bobbing delay too?
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2010 at 1:09pm
I guess you're right.  It sort of looks plain without the bobbing htough :/
Antenna things are supposed to be stiff, and when I tried it before, it didnt look that good :/
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2010 at 12:31pm
I love everything about this, and I love that mock-up!
I like the bobbing in the walking animation, but it needs to be more subtle.

Here is an edit:

A one-pixel shift in the eyes is too far, so I used subpixelling to make it a 'half-pixel' shift. I also fixed the timing of the bobbing to match the walk.

-

Here is one with the antennae bobbing,too:

-

Also, I'm afraid I loved the shine that Perkele added (I'm a junkie for specular highlights!) because it helped the little guy 'pop', and because I don't think it sacrificed the black-outline style. But it isn't necessarily essential, I just liked it a lot.

(I forgot to make them transparent - sorry! - but it's really easy for me to fix in GIMP if you need a transparent reference.)

-

And I also don't know what your colour restrictions are, but the colours are a little dark on my monitor, so I tried shifting them around a little, and adding some yellow or whatever (still under eight colours):

I'm not saying I like them better, I just wanted to know if you thought they could be a bit brighter, and so made this example.

I love this character and the mock-up tiles and (enemies?), and would love to see more!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2010 at 2:31pm
fisst enemy sprite :D

Thanks for the tips, I fixed the shine (unfortunately its exactly the same as Perkele's edit, its so small, I really don't have a choice) but feet are a bit different.
IP IP Logged
mozzie
Seaman
Seaman

Quote mozzie Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2010 at 1:20pm
I wouldnt mind putting one of these robots in my game if you dont mind i make DS Homebrew.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 10:03am

Fixed banding and feet on walk along with bobbing, subpixelling didn't work.
Made the jump more floaty, and completely remade the explosion. 

I'm pooped.
IP IP Logged
Perkele
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Perkele Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 10:22am
Don't worry, I don't mind  Definitely so much better, I fell in love with the new explosion.

As for the enemy sprite, you might want to move the edge together with the rest of his face, cause right now it... just doesn't look right..
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 11:03am

Better?
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 1:23pm
Jumping: wrong physics! It shouldn't stay up there for more than one frame. But it might go down slower, to give a feeling of lightness. Like this.

Explosion: should have more of a bang. Bigger? Red? Dunno.

Enemy: too cute really to be credible! ;)
Angry eyes, teeth? I know, not easy that small.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 4:33pm

Enemy: too cute really to be credible! ;)
Angry eyes, teeth? I know, not easy that small.

Does cute bunny enemy thing look more fierce now?
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2010 at 12:53pm
Don't worry too much about the jumping, since the float looks okay (there would be sideways motion during the float as in Super Mario Bros II or Yoshi's Island) and besides, if I were to put it in a game engine, the particulars would be easily tweaked by the animation timing, etc.

Sorry, but cute enemies are not bad! They may just be minding their own business, and are not even purposefully harmful. I prefer the sense of whimsy that this excellent style exhibits.

May I suggest, however, that the enemy makes the 'mean face' once in awhile during their walking - so that we have the best of both worlds?

And I do love the new death animation, but perhaps, to satisfy what Manupix said about more bang, you could try something similar to what you did in your first version (which I also dig) and have a series of pops follow the cloud of the disintegrating body of the robot into the air. But if I had to give an executive decision about it to an anim team in a development meeting, I would say that it reads just fine, and gimme some more o' dem cool sprites right now! :)
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 2:52pm

I tried tweaking the colors but I got just about the same thing as Ninja Crow.
It looks more feminine :D
Working on the whale guy sprite

IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:14am
The new colours in your test came out bright and cheerful, but on my monitor they are too saturated - they glow like neon. How about yours?

That new whale guy? I can't tell you how much I dig him!
Brilliant work - can't wait to see the next ones.

(p.s. How much did you want this to be a real, working game - not everyone who makes a mock up has that intention, so I wonder what yours might be - if you don't mind me asking.)
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2010 at 1:59pm
colors are a bit saturated, but if I made them less saturated, they'd be like the current sprite.  Anyways, if I changed the colors, that'd be a crap load of work to re-do completely.

I'm not intending for this to be a game, but if some action script person shows up on a golden plate, I guess I could make it into a game.
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by TRH:

I'm not intending for this to be a game, but if some action script person shows up on a golden plate, I guess I could make it into a game.
Well, I don't program with Flash, but if you didn't mind it not being Flash, I might be interested in trying out the golden plate for size. If no one thinks it'd hijack this thread too much, I'd like to know just what you would need a programmer to do.

Thanks,
JD
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:06pm
I actually don't know what I need a programmer to do.  I've got a few tilesets, and I've got the sprites coming along but that's about it.  I don't even know what I need to make for a game. 

But if you can help me on that sure.  Don't know what you mean by hijacking the thread, but maybe PMing would be better.

Croc guy :D

animation is still being a b****
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:30pm
I just meant about hijacking that I wasn't sure if talking about potential game details (even if related to the sprites) would be appropriate in this thread (I suppose we can keep it up until a mod comes by and complains...). If PMing would be more convenient for you, then just PM me with any question/s at all that you have on your mind about the game making process.

I definitely like your croc guy!

And may I ask about the nature of your animation problems?
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:58pm
I can't get the water splash to look quite right.
Oh how many times I've started over.

Tileset :D  Looks a bit boring, but I can't think of anything else to add.  Suggestions?

Questions...

• Should I make the jump more floaty as suggested before?
  • If its not going to be in flash, what's it going to be in?
  • Do I need to make more sprite animations for the Main charc?
  • I'm hungry.
  • I'm idea dead on more enemies, but just three isn't enough.  Ideas?
  • Is there anything I should know about the elements of sprite making I should know?
  • I have more questions, but I can't remember what they are.

IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 2:56pm
Ah, now here we have something to sink our teeth into!

I'll put my thoughts into a numbered list so that it'll be easier to refer to them:
  1. Please post a water animation that you've made, even if you don't like it, so that we have something to work with (I think I have an idea of how it could look, also).
  2. I dig these tiles. Are the two sets of colour for two 'levels' or did you want the colours to switch at some point midway, or were you unsure of which to use? (if I may suggest: one set would look great being the 'second layer' for the other, which means it looks like it's behind your character when he walks in front, but also looks close enough that you can land on it from a jump.)
  3. Things to add to the tileset would be (1.) a 'midground' layer, which I imagine as some interesting hill shapes (as in Super Mario World) that would scroll behind the main tiles. They would have to use bluer colours to look like they were farther into the distance than the main tiles. Or (2.) some 'foreground objects' which might include the typical flowers, rocks, and trees, but with a great 'roboty' look like you have going here, almost anything from discarded boom boxes to candy-filled vending machines might work! And (3.) collectible objects, which can be typical rings and coins and candy bars, but - again - with your cool theme could be just about anything from CDs to loose gears! You need only pick one of these at a time, if any.
  4. I definitely like a floaty jump, for its precision landing (I always played the Princess in SMB2 - heh) but with good physics I also like a more standard jump (as in the superb Sonic the Hedgehog 1). I would start with what you would instinctively prefer, and if it matches the gameplay you like, and fits with (for example) how quickly the screen moves and how fast you can walk/run then it'll be fine. It's all about 'feel' and comes out in play testing, so not a lot of worry has to go into it beforehand.
  5. Ah, 'the medium is the message'! When it comes to ease of use, and speed of 'rapid prototyping' (which is what I call it when you can throw together a demo engine in a single sitting, with all the underpinnings (such as controller objects, and graphics card calls) having auto settings so that all you have to worry about is the game - though you can tweak under the hood if you want) I would use a programming environment like 'Game Maker', since I'm familiar with its extensive library of DLLs, and its scripting language. It can create a stand-alone executable that anyone can download and play (with Windows XP/Vista, and soon, Macintosh).
  6. More animations never hurt, and you should definitely make some if you want to anyway, but if you don't already have anything in mind, you don't have to worry because any that are really needed would be obvious as a game engine is being put together.
  7. Hey, I'm hungry, too. Have you ever tried pancakes with butter, cinnamon, and honey? Mmm....
  8. Three enemies is about enough for a level (and for the sake of ease, only one level really needs to be developed at a time) and more can come whenever you think of them. What's important is that enemies have unique ways of being dealt with (an easy example is that if a standard enemy is vanquished by jumping on its head, then another enemy can have a spiked head, which forces a different attack strategy, such as hitting it with a hammer). But if I was to just throw out some ideas right now, I'd suggest a bouncing type enemy (ball shaped, like a rolled-up pill bug, or a grumpy grenade bot) or a snake type, or even a walking trash compacter with gnashing teeth and 'grabby' hands. The sky's the limit, they say!
  9. I'm not a big sprite expert (yet - bwu ha ha!) but I think you're doing just fine - any issues that come up can be dealt with as they arise, and nothing you've done so far couldn't easily plug right into Game Maker.
  10. Ehh...what wuz we talkin about again?
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 11:59am
  1. I'll work post water stuff later.
  2. Levels/worlds  Working on fixing the tiles, I'm changing the dimensions (480x320) and  stuff too.    Gears = Points/Wrench screw nut = heal
  3. Working on it
  4. Working on it
  5. How complex can you get the game to be with that program?
  6. Okay.  I think I need a 'damaged/hurt' sprite
  7. Nope, I might
  8. New stuff
  • Spikey guy: Walk: Walk 2:   (1st one is .06 2nd is .04  Which one is better?)
  • Bouncy enemy:
     9.  Really?  Its that easy?
    10.  I think something about food.

Urgh.  I didn't sleep much last night.
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 3:12pm
Hey, TRH, a great post!
I love the new tiles and their colour schemes, but the old ones (with their mix of squares) is epic for me, too. I can haz both?
The gears for points, and parts for health is a great, fun idea! I assume the health objects each give a different amount, with the nut for least and the wrench for most?
For #5, the answer could be a simple 'how complex do you want?' but I can try to go into more detail, because I can be fairly confident in its suitability for everything I've seen here. It can do scrolling background layers, music & sounds, complex timelines, and so on. Let's just say I've almost never been left in the lurch by it (it could run a Sonic the Hedgehog style game with little difficulty).
For #6: Ooo, yeah, I'd like to see that! And do you have any ideas about how his health will be displayed? (I would say a sequence of pips would be best, but a bar is equally 'doable' in GM.)
For #7: 'k, and let me know what you think!
For #8: That spikey guy is terrific! I like the faster walk on him. And I really dig the bouncy guy (especially the deformation when it hits the ground!) and can really see it as a challenge in a level (the player has to decide to run under it or deal with it directly, I imagine, leading to strategy and improved involvement).
For #9: Yeah, it imports BMP, JPG, PNG, and GIF, and in fact, if the frames of animation are laid one next to the other in a long 'sprite sheet' when you make them in your drawing program, then it can automatically turn that sheet into a multi-frame sprite.
For #10: Mmm, food....

Yeah, maybe about 5 hours for me....

So, I'll be looking forward to more - thanks!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 3:35pm
Old tiles were extremely hard to work with as they had no definite pattern, but I'll try to get it to work X_x

Quick post.

I was thinking if you stopped in front of a vending machine and pressed a button, you could spend (a large amount of) points for some health
Wrench = Extra life :P

I got some of the mid ground stuff down, and the vending machine, tree, and flower are all foreground.

#5 - Could it run a game as complex as say Super Mario DS?

#6 - I was thinking little squares of health like in Kirby or something.

#9 - That's freaking awesome.  That's just about how I make my animations.  Sprite sheet, then save as .png/.gif then run it through an animation program

#11 - Just wondering, do you have a program that could easily re-color these?  I'd say to re-color the tiles for a world/level would take maybe 40 minutes or so.

#12 - ARGH.  What happened to my transparency D:  Darned paint.  Does it have to be transparent for it to work with you?

Edited by TheRobinHood - 06 March 2010 at 3:37pm
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 4:02pm
Is that top pic the mid ground stuff? It exceeds my wildest expectations! I was going to suggest a giant gear turning slowly in the background, just peeking through a distant forest canopy, say, as a stylised way to show that this is a 'clockwork' world. I can easily see the gears turning, the wrenches going up and down and the column spinning slowly!

For #5: the more complex you want a game, just the more work it takes - which is why I like GM, because it's so 'scalable'. SMB DS looks like a reasonable goal for what I know it can do.
For #6: well that's perfect! Imagine the following: a sequence of empty bolts (start with three or four) and every nut you gather twists onto the bolt (two or three could fit) and then each time you find a bolt you get an extra set of nuts for your total health!
For #11: Sorry, I don't really understand the question!
For #12: No worries, you can (inside the editor) pick any colour on the sprite and make it transparent instantly.

Wow, great stuff, please keep it up!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 5:13pm
#11 - I meant, do you have a program that could change the color of the tilesets super easily for different levels? :D

#12 - can it for example, If I were to animate the gear, would it be able to say, make the gear on every frame be green instead of cyan?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:39pm
This game project looks wonderful
IP IP Logged
Dhr. Bosch
Commander
Commander

Quote Dhr. Bosch Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TheRobinHood

#11 - I meant, do you have a program that could change the color of the tilesets super easily for different levels? :D

you could use photoshop or the GIMP for that though i personally prefer Paint.NET. It's an easy to use program that can be used well for pixelart and it has a very easy recoloring tool. or you could use the eraser in MS paint (which is basically a recolouring tool with it's basic 'to' colour being white but you can adjust this)

In my humble opinion (and since you have expressed a problem with coming up with enemies) any platformer needs flying enemies.

i love the style of this project. hope it becomes playable.

Vanitas, vanitatum omnia vanitas
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 2:15am
Originally posted by jalonso

Cool! Does that mean it's okay to discuss it further in this thread?
Originally posted by Dhr. Bosch

i love the style of this project. hope it becomes playable.
Yeah, me too!

TRH:
For #11: not at this time - I usually use GIMP for quick colour changing - but I often use GM to program time-saving mini-utilities (it does more than just games!) so if any colour-changing tasks I ever need to do became too tiresome, I'd probably look into making some mini-utility to do it for me then.
For #12: Since the gear is a single colour, the built in editor can shift the hue for you (all the colours shift at once, since it's just a built in feature, and wouldn't be as nice for images with other colours you didn't want changed) but if the gear was made plain white, it is capable of drawing it (in-game) blent to any colour you desire and specify (only works with pure white, of course).
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by jalonso

Thank you!

Originally posted by Drh. Bosch

In my humble opinion (and since you have expressed a problem with coming up with enemies) any platformer needs flying enemies.

Got the flying croc that poops bombs on your head :D

#11 - I decided that reccoloring the tiles for different worlds would be boring, so I'm just gonna make new tiles for every world.  Maybe 4 worlds?  Until i run out of ideas probably. ;D

#5 wow.

#12 - thats wondaful :3

#13   Just a quick mockup to get an idea of how it might look.  Any suggestions?  (some stuff was rushed, I'll fix them in the tilesets later)

#14 Midground stuff
Tower
Gear   Complete pain in the a%$ to do.
Wrench   Looks a bit weird.

All at .08 (80ms)

#15 We need a name for the game!  The main character's name is Wilbot I think.

#16 When we finish this (we will finish it) what website is going to sponsor/whatever it?  For example, some games have the newgrounds tank in the intro to their game.

Edited by TheRobinHood - 07 March 2010 at 10:58am
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:05am
I really like this. Looks pretty cool. Always wanted to make a game. Anyways,  I really like the style. The main thing that is the sky, it's really hurting my eyes. It may just be me, but it's too bright.

I can see! Really though I think the green is taking too much detail away from the foreground.

IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by kenpokis

I really like this. Looks pretty cool. Always wanted to make a game. Anyways,  I really like the style. The main thing that is the sky, it's really hurting my eyes. It may just be me, but it's too bright.

I can see! Really though I think the green is taking too much detail away from the foreground.

Thanks for the edit.  Unfortunately, I'm running on a palette of 6 colors for the whole game, so the only thing that could be done was to invert the foreground and background colors.  It might look better, but there's going to be different worlds, so I can just change it in a different world.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by TheRobinHood - 07 March 2010 at 11:26am
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:31am
yea I like that a lot better. Looking good.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:34am
Okay, thanks.

While you're at it, why not give me an idea or two for an enemy?
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:39am
ummm a panda and a kangaroo? haha. I would like to help with this project though in any way I can. Looks like it's going to be a cool game.

Edited by kenpokis - 07 March 2010 at 11:40am
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 11:52am
# 17 Panda! ish-thing...
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:00pm
It's hard to do a lot with 6 colors. Maybe add the white highlight to his face and stomach like a real panda.
Edit: oh wait there is no white *face palm*

Edited by kenpokis - 07 March 2010 at 12:01pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:13pm
Better?

palette:
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:16pm
Is there a reason you are using only 6 colors? I think added just a couple more colors would help the panda be more recognizable. 
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:46pm
Hey, looking good!
I'm going to give my comments on the sky colour (and maybe level colours in general) the number '17':
#17: Keeping the entire palette to six colours is very brave (I don't think I would be able to, but I don't have a lot of practise) but if it works would be very very impressive! It may be that we need more in the future, though, so I'm willing to stay open about that if you like. The green sky is cool, and looks like morning or evening; the cyan sky looks like moonlight; and the grey-blue (slate?) sky could be for day, or maybe smokey for an industrial level?
For #11: If you have the time, energy, and inclination, then I say that's a terrific idea! I'll help with ideas if you need any, also.
For #12: The GM can also rotate sprites (assuming you don't mind that each frame is therefore NPA) once they've been placed in an environment, so if this seems like a shortcut whose usefulness outweighs potential pixel issues, then it's quite easy to do.
For #13: If you feel like making a list of things you think might still need work, I'll refrain from making any sort of 'change this pixel' comments. But to keep the flow of ideas going I'll make these suggestions:
  1. There are two squarish hills (one has gears, the other has a spikedog) that might benefit if they had one of those alternate tileset colours - to help cue the brain's expectation that you can walk in front, and that their tops are a different level.
  2. What did you think about my idea from my last #6? If you're not sure, but you have the time, could you mock up a small GIF that has three or four of your bolts in a row, with all but the last one 'full' of screwed-on nuts? You might have to make the bolts slightly longer for up to three nuts each to fit. That way I will be able to tell if I actually like it, or just think it's a good idea!
  3. I like the progress bar idea!
  4. I don't think the health bar needs a head of its own - not only will it become obvious what it's for, right away, but the multiple heads will be confusing I think.
Anything that needs referral from this list can be marked '13.1', etc.
For #14: You are right that the wrench looks a bit weird. I would say, for the sake of 'rapid prototyping', that the easiest solution for me would be to slow them all down as much as you can bear (maybe more!) with the wrench needing to be slower than the rest. That way, they'll feel more unobtrusive, and have a 'weight' that really suggests large objects at a distance.
For #15: Yeah! I don't mind bending my brain to that task and coming up with suggestions, but I'd also like to know if you're open to a Wisdom of Crowds technique, in which we ask for suggestions from everyone here - a sort of creative smorgasbord - to see if there are great names we might not think of ourselves.
I also like 'Wilbot' - is it a robot variation of 'Wilbur'? This is a simple but effective technique that can help in naming other things (like 'Ruffbot' for the spikedog, etc.).
For #16: Hey, I like the sound of that dedication - your excitement for this project will definitely rub off on all who get to know it! I'd say, yes, one of those hosting sites seems just fine to me - whichever one you feel the most comfortable with, and which can host games not built in Flash, of course!
Another possibility, if you didn't mind the extra stage of thought and design necessary, would be to try something like Google Sites which is a free webpage that you can customise to your own purposes - or even Google Blogs, which may be better (its HTML is fully customisable).

I really like those mock-ups!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 1:46pm
As challenge :3

I'm adding any more colors at this point, I've gone too far ;_;
Anyhow, the colors are just about good for the backgrounds, and adding more colors just for the panda doesn't seem like a good idea.

Font :D
IP IP Logged
Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version