Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 7/19/2010: Virtual Boy Turns 15

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10673
Printed Date: 19 September 2019 at 1:41am

Topic: CHALLENGE 7/19/2010: Virtual Boy Turns 15
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 7/19/2010: Virtual Boy Turns 15
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Virtual Boy Turns 15

This week marks 15 years since the Japanese release of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy - Virtual Boy , Nintendo's first foray into stereoscopic 3D handhelds. Therefore, we want to see what you can create using the Virtual Boy restrictions shown below; can you make a red-tinted masterpiece mock-up for this ill-fated system?

Remember: As it is a big canvas, you may want to consider breaking the image up into tiles.

Also, http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/16450.htm - here 's a nice example by  http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/2195.htm - Scruffs of a VB mock-up, if you need some inspiration.

Canvas Size - Exactly 384 (width) x 224 (height).
Colours - Exactly 4. Use only the colours from this palette:

VBpalette3.png
picture by tumble_weed

plese make sure you are using the exact colours shown above.

Transparency -No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1199' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Virtual Boy Turns 15 pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/54631.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>Monkey Island Virtualboy Edition - Weekly Challenge by /p/17621.htm' target='_blank'>Jinn
/pixelart/54705.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Aliens 3D by /p/18608.htm' target='_blank'>Calv
/pixelart/54768.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Legacy of Tesla by /p/23821.htm' target='_blank'>DawnBringer

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/54760.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Virtual Boy: Nitro Racer by /p/26824.htm' target='_blank'>HCGamer
/pixelart/54621.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mega Man VB by /p/2819.htm' target='_blank'>MrWeirdGuy
/pixelart/54758.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Zombie Apocalypse by /p/22132.htm' target='_blank'>Schemeron
/pixelart/54644.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The Small Knight's Adventure by /p/28313.htm' target='_blank'>Duchnois
/pixelart/54698.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Metroid Prime on Virtual Boy by /p/26335.htm' target='_blank'>Mistah_Bodgah
/pixelart/54608.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>VBmockup by /p/26251.htm' target='_blank'>slabnsla
/pixelart/54745.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>VB mockup -- cockpit by /p/20233.htm' target='_blank'>W M
/pixelart/54757.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>StarfoxVB by /p/25483.htm' target='_blank'>Pudwiggle
/pixelart/54752.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>4 in 1 by /p/26186.htm' target='_blank'>Dragonwarrior0
/pixelart/54692.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>some old game by /p/28748.htm' target='_blank'>vicodin
/pixelart/54693.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>virtual space boy by /p/25032.htm' target='_blank'>d-muerte
/pixelart/54691.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Meh Fire Ants by /p/19763.htm' target='_blank'>slym
/pixelart/54765.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Blackitten On Virtual Boy by /p/8537.htm' target='_blank'>[thUg]

Replies:
Posted By: Spherical Ice
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 12:45am
I'm going to see what I can do with this challenge.

Looks interesting.

Posted By: HCGamer
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:07am

I started with a platformer but kind of got stuck, so I switched to this. Kind of simple, I know, but I'll be doing a ton of animating and I love the idea.

-------------
This is not a sig, look away now. Go on, get.

Posted By: Spherical Ice
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by HCGamer

I started with a platformer but kind of got stuck, so I switched to this. Kind of simple, I know, but I'll be doing a ton of animating and I love the idea.

I know you're aware that the idea is simple, but unless the animation you're planning to do is going to be outstanding (which, by the way, will probably only work if it's really smooth - a choppy animation just wouldn't work), I can't see this being a winner, unfortunately. I think you should try and think up something as little bit more complicated that you can do to show off a little. Alternatively, you could edit this by adding a background or something (however that may actually detract from the quality of the piece if it isn't done properly, in which case it'll just crowd the piece. ):). Also, I think the paddles are a bit on the small side. :|

Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 12:14pm
If you think that I have any chance of winning, even with a different entry, I would like to refer you you to a little piece of crap called my gallery. ;) I'm not that great an artist yet. Anyway, I'm on frame 21 of around 200 right now, so you can bet it won't be choppy.

-------------

Posted By: Buddy90
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 2:52pm
you know, Virtual Boy was famous for pseudo-3d games. 3d tetris, mario tennis, and stuff like that.

Maybe try making a 3d pong? That would certainly be more interesting.

-------------
http://ps3trophycard.com/profile/vilocon">

Posted By: Jinn
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 3:13pm
I hope to find time to finish this one...

Posted By: Shizzle
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 3:43pm
This will end up along the lines of "hit the kid playing virtual boy"  with an assortment of things to bash the poor gamer with. Still have  a ways to go.

Posted By: MrWeirdGuy
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 4:18pm

Here's mine so far.  Still got a ways to go til it's done, though.  But I think it's turning out pretty well.

Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 5:47pm

The first screen is done, I think I'll do at least one more. if I have time, of course.
Comments?

Posted By: Pragz
Date Posted: 19 July 2010 at 11:29pm
That comma after "I give up" should be a semicolon. 

-------------
Hello - I'm new here. :)

Posted By: W M
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 12:41am

What's a virtual game console without a flight/dogfight simulator? :D

Window brackets are gonna be the death of me

EDIT:

That was almost the death of me:

[image accidentally deleted]

Posted By: tomic
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Jinn

The first screen is done, I think I'll do at least one more. if I have time, of course.
Comments?

yey, awesome!
looks great on that big canvas. nice details in the back!
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/28278.htm - who needs more than 4 colors for insult fighting anyway? ;D

working on some monkey island entry too..
trying my hands on the dungeons beyond the monkey head.
would be nice if you could choose something else for your 2nd screen =P

-------------
pixel suit up!

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 7:55am
Hehehe
My other screens are also for Monkey Island, but of the point'n'click parts.
Those are almost finished

Posted By: spiny
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Jinn

Hehehe
My other screens are also for Monkey Island, but of the point'n'click parts.
Those are almost finished

outstanding !

Posted By: dumbo
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:06am
Those are wonderful Jinn!!! And you still have a whole week left!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 3:35pm
Well I'm done, though a bit disappointed at the speed. But it is 356 frames, so I can't be too sad. Here's the final. Thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 5:54pm
Frame count doesnt mean anything: quality over quantity, after all.

I suggest either doubling the frame speed, or cutting every other frame.

Posted By: eliotfellow
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 6:01pm
Lord, that's slow. You've got so much more time left to think of more creative things. . .

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 7:00pm

Opinions?

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 7:28pm
Didn't think to cut half the frames but I think thats the most viable option. I'm working on a Sting Ray (vehicle) right now for a second entry but it's not going well.

-------------

Posted By: Rostii
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 8:26pm
kinda like a sidescroller, not done yet.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Posted By: snowk
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 8:58pm
ok so i made this guy to be in a sort of jet pack, dodging game with planets and aliens and space stations and thastuff like that. not real sure where to go from here but i hav to go to bed anyway so, here. make suggestions please! :)
ps omigosh jinn! that is an amazing use if the palette. nice job bringing the lighter colors to the fore ground so as to create focus and depth. now if only it were a platformer ;)

-------------
-Snowk

Posted By: pixeljones
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 9:05pm
W. M., your cockpit is rockin' the pixels. Great curves and shading. I want to play that game already. Throw in some action outside the cockpit and ... wow.

Posted By: pixeljones
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 9:25pm

Inspired by B&W Mexican pulp art from the 50's

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:15pm
a) that looks a lot like a colour reduction.

b) how is it a mock-up?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:44pm
Finished, I think... Comments?

Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:51pm
I dont like how the cursor is over some of the writing in the fight scene. Since it and the text was the same color, it confused me for a few seconds. Other than that, perfect!

Posted By: SerenaOmega
Date Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:54pm
Does it have to be an actual game, or can it be made up?

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:05am
@SerenaOmega - You may make a fan-art mock-up like Jinn, or you can create something from your own imagination, it's up to you. The only thing is that it shouldn't contain any ripped graphics (but that should go without saying...)

@Jinn - maybe a longer black screen between the LeChuck screen and the "WAIT!" screen.

-------------

Posted By: Duchnois
Date Posted: 21 July 2010 at 2:30am

The dear administration has written that in my work, instead of four put, eight colours. Probably so it also is (I do not wish to call in question authoritative opinion of a site), but I do not know as to define inappropriate colours and at all I do not represent as them to replace with the necessary!!!

Please, advise as to be. Thanks.

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:08pm
@Duchnois, use the link in my signature to verify your entry. Just enter the direct URL for it and it will show what passes and what doesn't.
This is what it shows ;)

../files/icons/full/virtualboyfinalchallange_final.png - http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/virtualboyfinalchallange_final.png

The green colors are the colors that failed to match
Virtual Boy Turns 15
2010-07-19 - 2010-07-26
ActualExpectedResult
Width384 pxexactly 384 pxPASS
Height224 pxexactly 224 pxPASS
Colors8exactly 4FAIL
Palette2 pass, 6 fail4 specific colorsFAIL
TransparencynonoPASS
AnimationnooptionalPASS

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 1:58am
Many thanks, I will try to correct it.

Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:40am
Has caught one more superfluous colour, but last is a shade black and it already too for me!!! Eventually I do not break in this mailto:F@#$% - F@#$% ^& pixel the competition concept!!! Whether to me it will be allowed not to search dear and severe administration for a needle in a haystack?

Posted By: slym
Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:05pm

Well this is what I have so far :/ I wanted to make it 200% since the portraits look better zoomed in, well not really, just because I'm running out of time to finish this. If I find enough time though I will make it 100%. Anyway, comments?

Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 3:38pm
Here's a mockup for a racing game, and to abide by the challenge rules, I did the sidewalk and flowers again by scratch. The car is supposed to be a Chevy Stingray

-------------

Posted By: slym
Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 3:42pm
Alright an update:

I hate fire ants. (period)

[edit] Oh and the girl fighting them is my mom, I know I'm a freak, I pixeled one of my parents fighting fire ants, but hey they are all over the place O.O

Posted By: ultimaodin
Date Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:18pm
I was going to enter but unfortunately my new Belkin substitute power cord to my Toshiba has diea second time.

Meaning I have 15minutes on my Laptop left. So no entry from meood luck to all!

-------------
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.

Posted By: Mistah_Bodgah
Date Posted: 24 July 2010 at 9:48am
This competition is really cool, has allowed me to get back into my old Pixel self.^_^!!!

I think i'll try and enter one every week. ^_^!

Here is my entry. :D

Posted By: Rostii
Date Posted: 25 July 2010 at 10:38am
Geez, I have been way to busy all week x-x... update:

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Posted By: drcupcake
Date Posted: 25 July 2010 at 3:03pm

Posted By: WolfWings
Date Posted: 16 August 2010 at 4:13am
This is *NOT* my work. I'm merely cleaning up the work of Duchnois above me. Yes, I registered just to help out.

This is *NOT* my work. I'm merely cleaning up the work of Duchnois above me. Yes, I registered just to help out.

Print Page | Close Window