Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 9/12/2011: Revenge of the Lefto

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12945
Printed Date: 07 December 2019 at 3:08am

Topic: CHALLENGE 9/12/2011: Revenge of the Lefto
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 9/12/2011: Revenge of the Lefto
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Revenge of the Leftovers

Pixel an original monster that mutated from the food at the back of the fridge. Let’s see what happens to mom’s casserole when it goes ignored for too long!

Canvas Size - Max 100 x 100.
Colors - Max 16.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1259' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Revenge of the Leftovers pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/65093.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>A Delicious Sandwich by /p/17347.htm' target='_blank'>Delicious
/pixelart/65114.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Cola Fish by /p/28527.htm' target='_blank'>albertov
/pixelart/65127.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>blueberry cheesecroc by /p/34884.htm' target='_blank'>pigusto

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/65163.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>CheeseChickenPrawn-otaur by /p/34328.htm' target='_blank'>Lathien
/pixelart/65227.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Not So Fresh Chow Mein by /p/34865.htm' target='_blank'>Switchblade_Comb
/pixelart/65174.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Broc-O-Cheez by /p/21399.htm' target='_blank'>darchangel
/pixelart/65177.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Noodles by /p/33953.htm' target='_blank'>jae17
/pixelart/65162.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Punk Carrot & tomat by /p/9092.htm' target='_blank'>Hapiel
/pixelart/65103.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>A Forgotten Stew by /p/34181.htm' target='_blank'>LowlySquid
/pixelart/65071.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Craggy Carrot by /p/21734.htm' target='_blank'>o-q
/pixelart/65182.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Moldy Mac and Cheese Snail by /p/22337.htm' target='_blank'>TropicalSnowcone
/pixelart/65118.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Quill by /p/30507.htm' target='_blank'>EmiR
/pixelart/65136.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Potato Monster by /p/20306.htm' target='_blank'>dpixel
/pixelart/65206.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Burrito Lizard by /p/33418.htm' target='_blank'>McJimbo
/pixelart/65150.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>A Very Tasty Looking Burger by /p/34898.htm' target='_blank'>Thirt33n_37
/pixelart/65230.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Killer Cake by /p/34743.htm' target='_blank'>Sinister_95
/pixelart/65113.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mutated yogurt by /p/31332.htm' target='_blank'>Alex Pang
/pixelart/65228.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Spinach monster by /p/25118.htm' target='_blank'>Adcrusher524
/pixelart/65117.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Cadaver in the Box by /p/34389.htm' target='_blank'>starmelt

Replies:
Posted By: Mr Special
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 4:26am
omg this sounds awesome! must.... participate

Posted By: xxmantisxx
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 9:13am
My lasagna:

I tried to give it a moldy feel with the green, and the purple is from the red's AA, you can see below in the WIP that there's barely a change between numbers three and four, and that's where I made the change from the AA color of the yellow to the purple instead.

Posted By: dpixel
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 10:19am
WIP
More of a thief. Stealing my mustard, eggs and hot sauce. 

-------------
hehe (ಠ_ಠ ) o_- :p

Posted By: CELS
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 10:39am
@dpixel: Awesome concept. That's a pretty huge potato though, or whatever it is. Unless you have very tiny hot sauce bottles, stolen from hotel minibars.
@mantis: I like the concept, but I would recommend making it bigger. There's only so much detail you can add to a piece of lasagna that small, without making it cluttered.

Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 11:31am
Oh... Oh god... I have no idea WHAT I was thinking with THAT... That lasagna looks terrible, I must be tired... Thanks anyway for the advice, CELS, I'm going to make something new.

Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 12:19pm
@CELS: Yes. It is a potato.  And yes, it's huge.  In fact, it's a monster.  ;)

-------------

Posted By: Cilein
Date Posted: 12 September 2011 at 2:04pm
Loving the monster potato dpixel :D

-------------
-Building an engine-

Posted By: Lathien
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:15am
Here's my WIP:

CheeseChickenPrawnotaur with Lettuce and Ketchup. The beast awakened in the depths of the refrigerator to take revenge for all your uneaten food. Obviously named for the parts that make him up: Chicken and Prawn arms, Cheese body and legs (with mouldy-cheese hooves) and a Grade-A [min]otaur beef head armed with his trusty ketchup bottle strapped to his back with a strand of spaghetti which matches his custom-made lettuce-leaf pants.

Posted By: Chibiwing
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:41am
My mom has a tendancy to buy tomatoes and leave them in the fridge until they mold:

Posted By: Mrmo Tarius
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 1:28am
Well, crud. I've been working on a tomato-headed half-eaten chicken, but when saving as .png, I managed to lose all my layers because I was an idiot.

Here's the last WIP I have.

I have no idea if I'll continue drawing this, as this week is hectic and I'm busy as hell :/

Posted By: a3um
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 2:47am
wip-wip 9_9 Stub, the Teamster of Worms

Posted By: Mrmo Tarius
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 3:57am
@chibi, that actually looks disturbing and scary in a good kind of way. The tomato seems to be a bit flat, tho- you can easily add some shading to suggest its shape.

@a3um, great highlights (and lighting) on that apple... thing :D

Posted By: Killermachine
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 4:44am
WIP evil broc

Posted By: michalio5
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 10:45am
http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img38/645/cdsx.png&via=mupload&newlp=1

Posted By: Delicious
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 11:44am
Quick question: Can the mold on the food be the monster, or must it physically be the food? Because technically the mold is still apart of the food. :B

If not, I gotta restart. :'(

Posted By: cure
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 11:54am
it should be food that has turned into a monster. mold can be an element, but is not food in itself. it could be mold that has overtaken and covered the food, but it should still be evident that it is food covered in mold, and not mold alone.

Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:00pm
I've seen food look like other food when it was really just the mold.  Unidentifiable!   

-------------

Posted By: Lathien
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:09pm
Update:

I'd really like some help with how I can improve it (obviously not done, but you get my drift). Especially the palette, cause I suck so much with palettes.

Posted By: Delicious
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:22pm

Aha, alright. The sandwich is basically the torso of the mold creature. So hopefully that's fine? I'll show you guys in a second. Thanks!

Edit: This work? (looks like my avatar, aha. Just noticed)

Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:43pm
@dpixel: I see what you did there. 

Great work, guys. a3um, I love the idea. Is that an eyeball in the center?

Posted By: Alex Pang
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:44pm
Heres my WIP

Its a mutated yogurt :D

Posted By: Nitemare60
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 3:35pm
My WIP, inspired by Delicious's sandwich monster... I shall name him Maurice.
I still need to show the food that he has taken over... Im aiming for some kind of pasta dish... not sure though... oh and did I mention he brought friends :D

Posted By: Chibiwing
Date Posted: 13 September 2011 at 8:34pm
M'kay.  I started it really late last night, so I'm sure it needs a lot of work.  I noticed when I was looking at the screen from a different angle that the red stood out like a sore thumb; not sure which angle is what it really looks like...

Posted By: pigusto
Date Posted: 14 September 2011 at 3:09am
My WIP

blueberry cheese pie !!!
"eat meeeeee PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ."

Posted By: baah
Date Posted: 14 September 2011 at 8:46am
According to what i saw here, the challenge seems inspiring! :)
@pigusto: beautifully disgusting, but is it a monster?

Date Posted: 14 September 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by baah

According to what i saw here, the challenge seems inspiring! :)
@pigusto: beautifully disgusting, but is it a monster?

Thank you for your comment.

I want to be sometimes seen as a monster. But again, it's just a waste in the refrigerator.

Date Posted: 14 September 2011 at 8:37pm
Help me choose which one is better.

left or right ???

Posted By: ghostninja13
Date Posted: 14 September 2011 at 9:10pm
@pigusto: i be thinkin dat de left one is be looking better. it only be my opinion, though

Date Posted: 15 September 2011 at 1:03am
Very different styles, but I like the left one a lot better, pigusto. It also looks more like a monster.

Date Posted: 15 September 2011 at 10:00am

Sandwich :D

Don't worry, I'm gonna make it a monster.

Posted By: baah
Date Posted: 15 September 2011 at 10:22am
@pigusto: The left looks more like a monster, reminding a kind of dinosaur skull... But the right one seems to me more disgusting.

Posted By: Thirt33n_37
Date Posted: 15 September 2011 at 11:04am
I'm not sure if I'd call this 100% complete yet, but I'm pretty happy with it. Any suggestions on improvements?

EDIT-
Here's a slightly tweaked version.

Posted By: Hapiel
Date Posted: 16 September 2011 at 4:31am
Can anyone make an edit to sow how I can beat delicious in this challenge?

(obviously I am going to put some more work on the face and the chicken)

-------------

Posted By: Christoballs
Date Posted: 16 September 2011 at 9:40am
i was wondering if this counted:

a hard-boiled egg that's mutating into a hardboiled detective.

am i really pushing it?...

Posted By: surt
Date Posted: 16 September 2011 at 9:50am
Christoballs: I wouldn't call a detective a monster, but it is ace so you must finish it regardless.

Hapiel:
Delicious' only has four eyes. Give your's five eyes and it's sure to win.

-------------

Posted By: Hapiel
Date Posted: 16 September 2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by surt

Hapiel:
Delicious' only has four eyes. Give your's five eyes and it's sure to win.

Ever since I joined PJ I had known you were a genious, but today you really exceeded my expectations!!

Chris, I would say it is an on edge piece, and looking back to all the other border-liners in PJ history its the quality that decides if it gets in or not. With this quality, I have no doubt it will get in without any trouble!

-------------

Posted By: Christoballs
Date Posted: 16 September 2011 at 10:49am
Okay, thanks for the advice, guys!
Here's the egg's WIP so far:

And here's something more like a monster:

yeah, basically mutated from two French dishes and it took some crab's claws on the way.
I could make this story about a hardboiled egg detective tracking down this thing, written like some pulp or something. sdfafsafsdfsadf

Posted By: Cilein
Date Posted: 17 September 2011 at 5:34am
@Cristoballs - You mean deteggtive right? Couldn't resist :D
@pigusto - loving the croc version, too little contrast in the other dish
@delicious - amazing sandwich mold creature, like your blue one from before but cleaner and with more character, lovely green colors in that!
@Mrmo Taurius - really hope you finish this its a lovely design so far!

-------------
-Building an engine-

Posted By: reis
Date Posted: 17 September 2011 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Mrmo Tarius

Well, crud. I've been working on a tomato-headed half-eaten chicken, but when saving as .png, I managed to lose all my layers because I was an idiot.

Here's the last WIP I have.

I have no idea if I'll continue drawing this, as this week is hectic and I'm busy as hell :/

Wow!

Print Page | Close Window