Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 7/16/2012: Pixel Joint Magazine

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: https://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14736
Printed Date: 03 July 2022 at 11:33pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 7/16/2012: Pixel Joint Magazine
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 7/16/2012: Pixel Joint Magazine
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Pixel Joint Magazine

http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/31111.htm - TheoVision wants you to create the cover of a brand new issue of Pixel Joint Magazine.

Optional Bonus Challenge - create a 'special edition' cover, like a PJ Swimsuit issue, an Anniversary edition or a Christmas special.

Canvas size - use this template:

http://i.imgur.com/6mEwV.gif">

Feel free to change the template colours in any way you like, but don't change the lay-out/design of the cover.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1302' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Pixel Joint Magazine pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/71662.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>Into The Deep by /p/21045.htm' target='_blank'>a3um
/pixelart/71674.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Top of the Year by /p/31111.htm' target='_blank'>TheoVision
/pixelart/71707.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Pixel Joint Magazine by /p/8537.htm' target='_blank'>[thUg]

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/71640.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Luke, i am your father! by /p/37859.htm' target='_blank'>Lehmure
/pixelart/71670.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>MR ROBOT TELLS IT ALL by /p/33190.htm' target='_blank'>Dont
/pixelart/71645.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel is Art by /p/39061.htm' target='_blank'>CakeDrake
/pixelart/71683.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>An Entry by /p/39002.htm' target='_blank'>Digital
/pixelart/71621.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel Joint Magazine: Bay Watch Edition by /p/39013.htm' target='_blank'>MatWarner
/pixelart/71624.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The Pixel Joint by /p/35725.htm' target='_blank'>MrBeast
/pixelart/71641.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>do not forget your sunscreen by /p/39018.htm' target='_blank'>CeD
/pixelart/71682.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>PJ Magazine N27 by /p/36467.htm' target='_blank'>Nevercreature
/pixelart/71615.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixeljoint Magazine: Summer C64 Issue! by /p/8475.htm' target='_blank'>Dai
/pixelart/71654.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel Fetish Edition by /p/38830.htm' target='_blank'>Dredlockz
/pixelart/71592.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel mag goes gold by /p/18201.htm' target='_blank'>CobaltHex
/pixelart/71693.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>PJ Magazine: Black and White Edition by /p/30213.htm' target='_blank'>clefairykid
/pixelart/71686.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The Body Behind The Mascot [Challenge] by /p/36599.htm' target='_blank'>Danori
/pixelart/71643.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel Joint magazine - the hidden message issue! by /p/15535.htm' target='_blank'>Pandora'sSecret
/pixelart/71690.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Top of the most dangerous(Pixel Joint) by /p/35331.htm' target='_blank'>Whisper Heart
/pixelart/71677.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Red Carpet Edition by /p/34662.htm' target='_blank'>randomboy2007
/pixelart/71646.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel Joint magazine Egypt edited by /p/38980.htm' target='_blank'>albaz2000eg
/pixelart/71616.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pixel Joint Magazine by /p/33723.htm' target='_blank'>ThePixelKnight
/pixelart/71705.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>PJ Swimsuit Magazine by /p/35614.htm' target='_blank'>Innomin

Replies:
Posted By: Ashkin
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 12:35am
Agh, that 'X' is killing me *twitch*

Not sure how to go about this one. I mean, reasonably it would be a couple of pixel art pieces peeking into what's going to be in the magazine, but a pixeljoint magazine would entail looking at the pixel art of other people, and I can't steal other people's work...

Posted By: ShdwFrg
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 1:24am
You could make it about the "up and coming pixel art genius Ashkin"!

Posted By: Ashkin
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 1:40am
Har. Would be a good idea to advertise an interview with a more skilled pixel artist on the front, though- maybe steal a quote from one of the features you can find in the gallery.

Are we allowed to tweak the lettering at all? Please?

Posted By: MatWarner
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 2:03am
Can i post this here?
or does it have to go in to the WIP?

Heres what ive done so far and i dont even think i can use the head...
Only reason why i used it was because when i think of Pixel Joint thats first thing that pops up in my head.

W.I.P

(Yes i know that we cant have transparency its just until i make a background)

Edit: Gave Pixel Boy Girlfriend/Friend :)
Edit 2:

Edit 3:

Edit 4:Finished

What do you all think so far?

Posted By: TheoVision
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 11:01am
There are always creative ways to celebrate other artists works without copying their original work.

One example: check out the Weekly Challenge "Mimic Me": http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1280 - http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1280

Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 11:05am
Depends what you mean with "tweaking the lettering". Certain restrictions is what's making the Weekly challenges fun and ... well ... challenging.

You can always show your WIP here on the forum! 

Posted By: maganegorap
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:01pm

i need help in the mouth.

Posted By: Stronghold257
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by maganegorap

i need help in the mouth.

That's a lot of dithering...

Posted By: maganegorap
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:30pm
Sorry, im trying to make the correct texture.

Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:56pm
New Update:

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 6:01pm
You can't use iSTVAN's nerd head in your work.

Posted By: Friend
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by maganegorap

Sorry, im trying to make the correct texture.

sandpaperfaceman?  But seriously, dithering can be a way to achieve certain textures if done skillfully with the right colors and style, but for skin, a smooth surface, you probably want to avoid dithering or at least keep it to the very minumum or if you are limited in number of colors etc. 

Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 6:31pm
I dont see why i cant use it?
Im not trying to argue im just trying to find out why i cant use it..
If its PJ Logo and its being made for PJ Magazine then why cant i use it?

Finished, Unless i have to Change the Head..

Posted By: a3um
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 7:41pm
@MatWarner - you can't use it as is, because it's not your own work, but you can do your own rendition of the nerd head.

I'm going for "Horrors of the Deep" special. WIP

Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 8:43pm
Thanks for Clearing it up A3um :)
Here the Final Finished Version

Posted By: Danori
Date Posted: 16 July 2012 at 10:16pm
Finished the background, now to make the actual image. I need ideas..

I think I'll sleep on it :)

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 2:33am
I'm working on a "the best art of Pixel Joint" edition, re-inventing PJ's iconic No.1 thropy. Furthermore I'm thinking of just using gold and deep blue colors. WIP:

Posted By: Dredlockz
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 2:33am
@Danori: Oh man, just by looking at your background I have learned so much about Pixel Art.

Love the colours too.

@TheoVision: Really nice perspective!

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 2:36am
Very funny cover MatWarner! Looks like a Baywatch special!

I would change the hair a bit - now it looks a bit if PJ's nerd got a star fish on his head.

Posted By: randomboy2007
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:09am
Red Carpet edition:

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:31am
@TheoVision: Hahaha Thanks :), i really like yours to, and yeah ill change it up a bit :)

Edit:Still need to work on the Hair

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 11:29am
WIP:

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 11:39am
My work in progress:

I used this as reference for lady and palette:

Should I go with a SFW:

Or a NSFW:

Greatly inspired on Paul Robertson style, I must've stared at hundreds of his naked ladies... for research of course!

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Dredlockz

My work in progress:

I used this as reference for lady and palette:

Should I go with a SFW:

Or a NSFW:

Greatly inspired on Paul Robertson style, I must've stared at hundreds of his naked ladies... for research of course!

I think you should go with the SFW i mean dont get me wrong nudity is great :P but i think it looks a lot better with the top on :)

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 1:02pm
Truly like the addition of the magazine barcode Dredlockz!

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 1:10pm
WIP update: changed the lines of the cup a bit (left handles and the "1"), and added the blue background:

Posted By: Loga
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by TheoVision

WIP update: changed the lines of the cup a bit (left handles and the "1"), and added the blue background:

Great work. I suggest a illumination from behind, with a large amount of black in the middle of the cup.
Oh, hi to all! I am Loga, from Rome, Italy :)

Posted By: Subsik
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 2:20pm

You sir... Are a legend.

Posted By: Yuran
Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 4:07pm
TheoVision your work looks very promising even at this stage :)
I only criticize, but when you paint the cup, then these errors are more noticeable than the prospect now.

I'm lying as a matter of fact plotting of this perspective is easily and intelligibly, I just was too lazy to do better examble - I want to sleep already :D

Z-z-z-z...

TheoVision, твоя работа выглядит очень многообещающей, даже на такой стадии :)
Я всего лишь критикую, но когда ты раскрасишь кубок, то погрешности перспективы будут заметнее чем сейчас.
Я вру, на самом деле построение этой перспективы выглядит просто и понятно, просто мне лень было делать приемр - хочу спать уже :D

Date Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:12pm
Think I'm done, here are the SFW/NSFW final versions:

Gonna give it one last pass tomorrow.
Think im using the SFW as a preview/warning, and submitting the full UNCUT UNCENSORED RAW version.

@TheoVision : Dude, that background! wow. You even inspired two new users to do a first-post about it :D

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 3:08am
sudden update!

Posted By: DawnBringer
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 4:50am
@Dredlockz:
You're gonna need to clean that up. It's obvious you have scaled the girl about 150%, which is a huge no-no unless it's properly polished afterwards.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 5:09am
damn internet connection... reserved for future updates

update

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 5:45am
Originally posted by DawnBringer

@Dredlockz:
You're gonna need to clean that up. It's obvious you have scaled the girl about 150%, which is a huge no-no unless it's properly polished afterwards.

Ouch, I didn't scale it at all, I guess that speaks to how terrible I am.

Are you referring to those "blocky" parts of some outlines like the hair and eyes?

I'll smooth it all out some more. Thanks for the feedback :)

Edit: Is that any better? I tried to get rid of all those thick edges I made everywhere.
Since I suck at AA, I usually just fill with more black.

I still haven't got the hang out of AA, need to practice that a lot more. I guess I could add more colors, I haven't used all 32.

Edit2: Shortened the hair a bit, made her smile, and some more AA here and there.

Edit3: some better shading, and some texture for the hair highlights.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 10:30am
Edited:

Posted By: DawnBringer
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 10:31am
@dread. Yeah, that's a lot better!

Posted By: Lehmure
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 10:32am
Well, just a few WIP, any critiques?

Posted By: brunoip
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:07am
I will try to make something in the old nintendo power style

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:22am
Todays progress:

As you can see I started with the cup. Not sure about all the colors yet - I think it needs more contrast. But then again, it's something I better fix when the entire picture is (more or less) finished.

@Yaran: many thanks for your keen eye. I made some adjustments in the top left section!

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:36am
@ a3um: sudden updates are always welcome (damn I love your color palette and your lighting)

@ Lehmure: Is the figure holding a lightsabre, or shooting a gun? When it is a lightsabre it seems the angle is a bit off... And what exactly are the yellow stripes on the ground?

@ brunoip: like the idea - some cool old school low key sprites would make a great backdrop!

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:18pm
TheoVision, its hot lava. ._.

Posted By: sjhwi1a
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:13pm

Todays progress:

It makes no sense to participate in the competition, which already have such a picture.

Posted By: AngelOTG
Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by sjhwi1a

Todays progress:          
<span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">It makes no sense</span> <span ="hps">to participate</span> <span ="hps">in the competition</span><span>, which already</span> <span ="hps">have such</span> <span ="hps">a picture.</span></span>

There is no such entry concept remotely similar to this work. Unless you're meaning he should use this because the cup is an iconic piece of Pixel Joint's icon set. If that's the case, then your argument is invalid because it is his rendition and is not directly copied in any way.

Besides, the idea of a golden "First Place" cup is very common anyways. It's not like PJ was the first to use that concept.

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:51pm
@AngelOTG - I guess he just praised TheoVision's work:)

Date Posted: 18 July 2012 at 9:08pm

Im doing a Pixelboy magazine! I'm thinking of either:

A) Putting the PJ mascots head on the womans body for teh lolz

or

B) Womanizing/Sexy-fying the PJ mascot for teh sexyness.

What do you guys think I should do? Also, I'm workin on the colors for the background, so yeah.

Posted By: shampoop
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 12:16am
I'll try to turn alfred e newman into the pixel n3rd.

ref: http://haudarson.blog.is/img/tncache/500x500/46/haudarson/img/alfred_neuman.jpg

Posted By: albaz2000eg
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 7:30am
PJ Egypt's magazine :D

Posted By: AngelOTG
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by a3um

@AngelOTG - I guess he just praised TheoVision's work:)

LOL, whoops... My bad. In that case, ignore my bitchiness @____@

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:26am
Well, i have changed something.

LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER!

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 10:43am
@ Lehmure: I think the problem with the lava is that it normaly flows to a lower point, like a river. The lava lines now seem a bit off as it is not clear how it flows in respect with the surrounding area. In other words: you need one higher point, and from there several flows to a lower point (now the perspective seems a bit off as lines go up and down and up again)

Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:26am
Thanks Theo, but i not gonna work in the jedi fighting in the lava, i cant do the other jedi. D:
Thats why i made the Darth Vader, and thanks for the critiques. (Sorry, my english almost gave me canc?r. .-.)

Posted By: Dont
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:44pm
what u guys think of this?

Posted By: shampoop
Date Posted: 19 July 2012 at 11:33pm
wip2

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 12:54am
Quick update - didn't have as much time yesterday as I hoped...

Again, changed some bits, worked some more on the composition, added more color. Hope you like.

Posted By: Nikonani
Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 6:07am
Very nice Theo, I definitely like where it's going  I'm sure you know of it, but if you perhaps don't there's a weird bit of dithering going on in the area you updated that really stands out to me and ruins the whole "shiny, 3D trophy" effect (once you see it you can't unsee it!):

I think the previous rev actually was going in the right direction with that little "glare" area.  Other than that it stands out as my favorite magazine so far, awesome stuff

Posted By: Nevercreature
Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 7:37am
A W.I.P.

Date Posted: 20 July 2012 at 9:56pm

xD

Posted By: Gamamoto
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 5:48am
Amazing :')
I like the way it's going ! 

Posted By: Digital
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 10:33am
Applied several shading techniques plus minimized usage of shades of colors.

I might edit this or add more features to it after I lose my laziness in a bit. xD

P.S Just so you know, I like wizards. :]

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 2:42pm
Done!

The shading was inspired by one of TheoVisions pieces :)

Posted By: Stronghold257
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 3:45pm
Nice Danori.

Posted By: AirStyle
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 6:27pm
Hands down, Danori, yours is the most hilarious.

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 7:35pm
That is exactly what I was going for!

Mission Accomplished xD

Posted By: Digital
Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 8:59pm
Made some edits.
->
Still gonna make some edits. :]

Posted By: Innomin
Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 3:18pm
Posting this to force myself to finish it. It started as practice for larger/smaller characters than I'm used to, and backgrounds. It ended up being most of my week...

Obviously the text and sky need a little work. I'm going to see the new Batman movie in an hour, and I'll probably finish this up after that. Any other glaring errors on my part would be appreciated CC, even though I know it's a tall order for such a short amount of time.

Oh, and bonus points for naming all the girls in the corner. The only hint is they are in games released/TBR/re-released in 2012.

@Theovision: Is that subliminal messaging? Well it certainly worked - you definitely have a #1 there. Since you suggested the comp, are you submitting that piece for judging? It's apparent that you only worked on it this week, I'm just asking from a rules standpoint. I'm too new here to really know how it works...

@Dredlockz: Very nice PR-type style. He's one of my favorites as well, and you've captured it nicely. Also, good font work all around. It really looks like a magazine cover.

@Danori: I can never unsee that now. But seriously, the soft colors work very well with the subject matter, and the shading is fantastic. I wish the background was a little more saturated (...or something), to separate it a bit more from the foreground.

@Digital: I'm liking the polish you're doing. No pun intended. The border is very nice as well, and it's making me rethink a few things...

Posted By: Innomin
Date Posted: 22 July 2012 at 11:41pm
I'm back, with a finished piece and some disappointment in Christopher Nolan. ...Bane...

Heh, guess I was too late for CC. I uploaded the final to the comp, with only hours left. Is it bad I started on Monday?

Print Page | Close Window