Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 7/30/2012: In Circles

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14823
Printed Date: 16 June 2019 at 10:28am

Topic: CHALLENGE 7/30/2012: In Circles
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 7/30/2012: In Circles
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: In Circles

It's Olympics time, so let's make some rings. Use the canvas shown below, whilst including the 5 colours of the Olympic rings.

Your piece doesn't need to relate to the Olympics in any way, but feel free to if you want.

Canvas Size
- Use template:

Colours - Max 32. Must include the 5 colours shown below:

Transparency - Required; but must only be used outside the ring shape.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1304' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The In Circles pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/72042.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>APRETADITOS ES MĂS SABROSO by /p/28380.htm' target='_blank'>MIERDINSKY
/pixelart/71948.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Those Who Reach For the Sun by /p/39255.htm' target='_blank'>DragonMarx
/pixelart/71985.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>London 2012 by /p/38883.htm' target='_blank'>Subsik

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/72044.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>4Realms by /p/38644.htm' target='_blank'>nivek
/pixelart/72035.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>In Circles by /p/35331.htm' target='_blank'>Whisper Heart

Replies:
Posted By: Subsik
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 1:49am
Yay! Thanks so much for the theme!

Posted By: Mr.Fahrenheit
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 6:14am
So it can be about anything i want it to be it just has to be in the shape of a ring?

Posted By: Damian
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:30am
And must use the 5 colours provided, but you can use 27 other colours with them too, so its no biggie :)

I'm finding this one tough, I haven't been satisfied with any of my sketches so far.

Posted By: Adam
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:55am
I say 26 optional colours. Transparency is required

Hey, it's a donut!

Posted By: Whisper Heart
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:00am

this is the beginning...=(

Posted By: PixelPiledriver
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 3:05pm
Are we able to overlap the middle?
Like so:

I know it's a dumb question but thought I'd ask cuz the rules don't clearly state no (although its implied).

Never mind this was answered in the comments section.

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:45pm
To clarify here too:

You must stay entirely within the ring shape (as http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1119 - here and http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1193 - here )
The max colours you can use is 32, including transparency and the other five set colours (so you get the choice of up to 26)

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 1:33pm
The example you gave is quite misleading to be honest. May I ask one more time?

Are we allowed to overlap the inside of the ring. So the smaller circle in the middle, NOT the outside. My understanding was we are not, but I ask only for the purpose of clarifying this for others.

Posted By: Mizur
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Subsik

Are we allowed to overlap the inside of the ring. So the smaller circle in the middle, NOT the outside. My understanding was we are not, but I ask only for the purpose of clarifying this for others.

I think it's not really clear too, but :
Originally posted by Jeremy

You must stay entirely within the ring shape

Litteraly means that you have to draw ON the RING, not ON the CIRCLE.

So, NOT on the smaller circle in the middle.

But I might misunderstand !

Posted By: philippejugnet
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 1:53pm
WIP:

Subsik, you can just pixel INSIDE the red thing.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 2:06pm
Good good!
I love yours! I'm working on mine now.

Posted By: DaDDy LoE
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:14pm
hi ^^"
this is my wip

I want to create a racing game ....
I'd like to know what you think about it (:
criticism and suggestions are welcome ^ ^

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:20pm
I don't know what you plan to do with it, but why is only half of the ring being used. I love the idea though.

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:38pm
I know this (:
in the other half of the circle will created other 2 vehicles, with 2 other themes (:
sorry for my bad english...I used a translator xD

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:02pm
Yeah, looks great then. Brilliant concept.

Here's my WIP:

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 6:11pm
add a vehicle: police car

and I will add the classic surprise-box, here's a draft

Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 5:12am
I think I'm going to leave mine like this:

I've never even attempted an animation before so I figured I'd better try (as subtle as the animation in this is).
I quite like the outcome (as newby as it is). I had never done an Iso before either so all of the effort was for the purpose of practising. I don't expect to win at all, but taking part is enough for me.

Posted By: Pandora'sSecret
Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 8:01am
Probably way too big a piece to finish in time; and I am not sure I can actually make it even if I did have all the time in the world... but here is my first wip/sketch of an eye I want to make...

Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 1:12pm
That's neat! Make sure you finish it!

Posted By: ultimaodin
Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Pandora'sSecret

Probably way too big a piece to finish in time; and I am not sure I can actually make it even if I did have all the time in the world... but here is my first wip/sketch of an eye I want to make...

An eye was my first idea too but those damn colours are not agreeing with me. Too damn saturated for my tastes.

-------------
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.

Posted By: Dredlockz
Date Posted: 03 August 2012 at 12:36am
Oh no, It's been a really busy week for me, I did my initial sketch on monday and I don't think I'll have the time to finish this.

Want to have an infinite-loop animation with the guy running around the "world" but him staying in place and the night and day move around him counter-clockwise.

Oh well, I'll finish it some other time maybe.

Posted By: Pandora'sSecret
Date Posted: 03 August 2012 at 7:17am
Decided to go with a different approach; a little less detailed, though I am currenttly not sure how to incorpoerate the red; is it allowed to use the red as the transparency colour?

I am also unsure of the black parts... does it read as if it is an eye? (I have been staring at it for too long by now)

Date Posted: 03 August 2012 at 8:36am
At the moment, the black looks a tad weird and would look better as a darker shade of the blue. The red cannot be the transparent as transparent is required, but I think it would look awesome if you include the red as some of the detail in the eye. If you look at a real eye you have them red vein sort of things (I'm not sure what they are called). KIU though.

Print Page | Close Window