Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 5/19/2014: 16 Tons

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: https://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18903
Printed Date: 04 July 2022 at 2:13am

Topic: CHALLENGE 5/19/2014: 16 Tons
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 5/19/2014: 16 Tons
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: 16 Tons

In memoriam of the miners in Soma, Turkey; this week, we want you to create a cross-section image of an underground structure. It can be anything from an actual mine to a fantasy lair or sci-fi base.

Canvas size - Max 300 x 200. Either horizontal or vertical.
Colours - Max 16.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1398' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The 16 Tons pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/86414.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>Mine by /p/12253.htm' target='_blank'>FrostPumpkin
/pixelart/86314.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>HexaBunker by /p/7846.htm' target='_blank'>Mrmo Tarius
/pixelart/86416.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Mountains and Molehills by /p/47257.htm' target='_blank'>tyrant

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/86417.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mini Mech Miners by /p/45373.htm' target='_blank'>Zamaj
/pixelart/86372.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Brave Soul's Cave by /p/38201.htm' target='_blank'>Suusi
/pixelart/86419.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Cozy Cave by /p/46823.htm' target='_blank'>jocastus
/pixelart/86390.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Cave Side View by /p/47239.htm' target='_blank'>CyanideKoolaid
/pixelart/86407.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>DIRTY TREEEEEEESHA' by /p/39061.htm' target='_blank'>CakeDrake
/pixelart/86343.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Hidden Submarine Base by /p/34829.htm' target='_blank'>Mandrill
/pixelart/86320.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>8 Bit Aperture by /p/47285.htm' target='_blank'>JaredOnYT
/pixelart/86331.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>DANA-DANA-DANA by /p/47461.htm' target='_blank'>Drazile
/pixelart/86358.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>underground by /p/10492.htm' target='_blank'>felchqueen

Replies:
Posted By: Anonzs
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 4:02am
I have a question about the horizontal cross section. Does that mean only top down is allowed as opposed to other views: isometric, oblique, etc...?

Posted By: jok
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:15am
I'm in
Its my typical environment (restrictions - not caves ;)
And topic is worth effort

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:59am
@Anonzs, so long as you can see into the cross section the angle/perspective should not matter. That's the challenge ;)

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: Eggy
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:15am

WIP. I describe it as a "crystal cave dug by the ancients" with a couple of torches placed on the walls, a thing with a chinese dragon head statue with water coming from the eyes, and a passageway that leads to another hall, but I dunno for sure if that's enough to make it count as a cross-section image of an underground structure... Does this qualify, or do I need to add/remove/change something to make it qualify?

Posted By: TrojanMonkey
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:25am
Can anyone show an example of a 'cross-section'?

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:34am
The XCOM: Enemy Unknown base screen is a good example.

http://i.imgur.com/Lalho1e.png

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:09am
That explains nothing.. |:
If I got anything from wiki, is it something along the lines of having one vector interject with another / one corridor interconnect with another / a room?

EDIT: Okay, wiki went apesh*t on me. This has nothing to do with Orthographic Projection, right?

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:29am
Whoops, sorry about that. I put a link there to show a screenshot, but it didn't link properly.

Ant farms are another good example.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ant+farms&source=lnms&tbm=isch - https://www.google.com/search?q=ant+farms&tbm=isch

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:28pm
*sob sob* I still don't get it. And the dictionary is not helping with an actual mental image. Is this one really that obvious, but I am just missing it?

Posted By: CakeDrake
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:45pm
wip

it's really simpel. I might start over and make a "painted" image tho...

Posted By: Dr D
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:52pm
When you slice an apple or orange in half, you get a cross section of them.

Basically, think of it as more-or-less a side view (although it doesn't have to be strictly side view) of the inside of a volumetric object (or scene/structure, in this case).

Posted By: Acherhar
Date Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:38pm
A typical cross-section is as Dr D described, "slicing" through an object. Here are two common methods for depicting cross sections:

Orthographic Projection (Flat)

Perspectival

A cross section is a valuable tool used to see interiors and structure, ratios, relation between spaces; essentially anything not immediately visible or apparent from the outside.

Posted By: Retronator
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 5:08am
I don't think I'll have time to finish this, but I needed to vent some stress out with doing random pixel art so I just picked this week's theme as the stress reliever.

Anyway, cliff mansion with a secret underground lab (think batcave) is what I was going for.

sketch:

base colors:

Posted By: skittle
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 5:22am
@retronator
Ohhh, please finish it (of course, if you can't then you can't, but still...)! This is a great start! You have some fantastic sky colours as a start!

@cakedrake
Looking great! Really loving those bricks.

Posted By: Gecimen
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:59am
Nice explanation Archerhar!

Posted By: Limes
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:49am

hmmm... I know I want mountains in the back ground. But the palette needs a face lift. I might just steal a 16 palette and give cred. and Yes I do do do need to work on my colors.

Posted By: felchqueen
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:08am
@retronator

I've just got one word for you...

Thunderbirds!

or is that two?

Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:58am
So it is related to Orthographic projection. Alright, very well.

Posted By: Mrmo Tarius
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 1:03pm

This was done both for this weekly challenge and as a concept for a very late job application (which of course I botched because of the late application).

I'm planning to use the large version as a zoomed in view, inspired by what Nevercreature did with his isometric game mockup :)

Posted By: CakeDrake
Date Posted: 20 May 2014 at 1:23pm

Small update. changed the bottom bricks, im not sure how they should look :/. im going to think about some stuff to go in the dirt, to add some detail.

also, should I keep the updates on one post?

Posted By: the pixel chicken
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:22am
hmm hows this im not sure wether the lower half of the well makes sense tho?

Posted By: felchqueen
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:43am
@Pixel Chicken, would a well have a bottom? Wouldn't there be an aquifer there, perhaps you could pixel how the water percolates through the ground with all the channels and underground caves it creates?

Posted By: Jinn
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 2:54pm
This reminds me of Yoot Tower

Posted By: FrostPumpkin
Date Posted: 25 May 2014 at 8:52am
Hey guys !! long time no pixelling, I sometimes doodle a few things but no serious business for very long. I must admit it's a pleasure to get back at it :)

I love making tilesets and this challenge is a great occasion to follow MrmoTarius' teaching : "If in doubt, use tilesets!"

A lot of tiles are just mirrors/placeholders, I still have to make a bunch of them and I'll propably assemble them up at last minute, touch things up. I might be short on time though

Any C+C welcome as always

Posted By: Mr.Fahrenheit
Date Posted: 25 May 2014 at 10:45am
Mmmm, you get great depth with your tiles. I really love them! I believe I remember an old tileset you made that was fairly abstract on wotp; that one will always stick with me as really awesome!

Posted By: FrostPumpkin
Date Posted: 25 May 2014 at 11:51am
Thanks Mr.Fahrenheit ! Very inspired bit that old tileset of course, I wished I could use it haha :) Some of the metal tiles are nearly the same

Posted By: 7heSama
Date Posted: 25 May 2014 at 3:34pm
Looks really good FrostPumpkin.

I'm not sure where to go with mine.

Posted By: Acherhar
Date Posted: 03 June 2014 at 11:23am
Thank you Gecimen! Sadly I couldn't finish the entry I started working on, hopefully I can continue working on it at a later date.

Print Page | Close Window