Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 3/28/2016: April Fools Gallery

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25028
Printed Date: 20 April 2019 at 7:31pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 3/28/2016: April Fools Gallery
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 3/28/2016: April Fools Gallery
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: April Fools Gallery 2016

It's been a while since the last April Fools Gallery challenge - 6 years, in fact. Maybe it's time we had another one...

The idea is to study the PJ gallery of another pixel artist. Look at the techniques they use, the colours they pick, the subject matters they gravitate towards, etc... Then once you feel like you have a grasp of that person's style, create an image that will fool us into thinking that it's theirs.

Important: make sure that you are not plagiarising someone else's work! Even though the goal is to 'fool' us, your submission must still be entirely your own work.

Also, don't forget to mention the name of your chosen pixel artist in your description.

Previous April Fools Gallery challenges can be found here: [ http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1005 - 1 ] [ http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1065 - 2 ] [ http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1127 - 3 ] [ http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1182 - 4 ]

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Unrestricted.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1495' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The April Fools Gallery 2016 pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/103478.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>First Day of Snow by /p/48030.htm' target='_blank'>Lakelezz
/pixelart/103448.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Myr by /p/43310.htm' target='_blank'>Vagrant
/pixelart/103400.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Oh deer by /p/45801.htm' target='_blank'>pavanz

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/103300.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>har har by /p/77463.htm' target='_blank'>TEETH
/pixelart/103373.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Love by /p/47822.htm' target='_blank'>rhlstudios
/pixelart/103441.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Four Colour Pearl by /p/3543.htm' target='_blank'>Psiweapon
/pixelart/103331.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pope VDLV. by /p/59411.htm' target='_blank'>wafflesigma
/pixelart/103442.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Merchant shop by /p/13797.htm' target='_blank'>Kaminari
/pixelart/103314.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Goodlyay & Creme by /p/68228.htm' target='_blank'>saulc12
/pixelart/103403.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Sure shot by /p/38888.htm' target='_blank'>Siikikala
/pixelart/103477.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The Flash: Characters by /p/49012.htm' target='_blank'>JosChavz
/pixelart/103460.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Eyepatch guy by /p/40221.htm' target='_blank'>Slinger
/pixelart/103474.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>SPLITCH by /p/67611.htm' target='_blank'>mwambi
/pixelart/103278.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>False Mrmo Tarius mockup by /p/36467.htm' target='_blank'>Nevercreature
/pixelart/103398.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Loot Squad by /p/45959.htm' target='_blank'>Phoenix849
/pixelart/103464.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Yahkehbu and the Golden Bell by /p/81106.htm' target='_blank'>yahkehbu
/pixelart/103404.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mimik Challenge by /p/89875.htm' target='_blank'>Nami
/pixelart/103419.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Zombloodvomit by /p/47517.htm' target='_blank'>ChrisN
/pixelart/103473.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Maybe thinking by /p/2142.htm' target='_blank'>m4rsellino
/pixelart/103338.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>voidfall by /p/48336.htm' target='_blank'>sonicspin
/pixelart/103465.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Gadget by /p/38888.htm' target='_blank'>Siikikala
/pixelart/103481.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Scarecrow by /p/34815.htm' target='_blank'>ClownAround
/pixelart/103393.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Sonic Sprites by /p/46308.htm' target='_blank'>PaperClip
/pixelart/103409.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Krusty's Fun House II mock up by /p/91619.htm' target='_blank'>rocifier
/pixelart/103424.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Tile-based Wizard by /p/72626.htm' target='_blank'>BigPotato
/pixelart/103418.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Four Colour Angel by /p/48254.htm' target='_blank'>Ubisavis
/pixelart/103346.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>66 by /p/47461.htm' target='_blank'>Drazile

Replies:
Posted By: philippejugnet
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 10:32am

Hello atpalics :)

Edit:
I know things are not looking that good yet, imma bounce everything and etc.

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 2:35pm
You should try looking at her entire gallery and getting a feel for her general style. Don't constrain yourself to a single image for inspiration.

-------------

Posted By: josemwarrior
Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 4:23pm
haha yeah, it's very funny, but the key is "fool" us, and not readapt original to your style...

Date Posted: 28 March 2016 at 11:37pm
@Skamcore @josemwarrior
yes, its true, I should be more original :).
Feels better?

Date Posted: 29 March 2016 at 8:41am
Originally posted by philippejugnet

Feels better?

A lot hehe, is a pretty damn cool animation, if you don't mind I'll study for future references...

And the character definitely looks like a girl of studio ghibli, doesn't?

I have a question, I was wondering if I could imitate the style of a pixel artist who no have a profile in PJ. I like the style of http://1041uuu.tumblr.com/ - 1041uuu , and I would like to do a painting imitating his style, Could I do for the challenge??

Date Posted: 29 March 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by josemwarrior

Originally posted by philippejugnet

Feels better?

A lot hehe, is a pretty damn cool animation, if you don't mind I'll study for future references...

And the character definitely looks like a girl of studio ghibli, doesn't?

I have a question, I was wondering if I could imitate the style of a pixel artist who no have a profile in PJ. I like the style of http://1041uuu.tumblr.com/ - 1041uuu , and I would like to do a painting imitating his style, Could I do for the challenge??

Has to be a PJ Gallery. But talk to scam about it.
It is Mei from Totoro, and its the concept of my animation

Date Posted: 29 March 2016 at 9:19am
Thanks. I don't know the name of the girl. Good mix. I guessed it.

Date Posted: 29 March 2016 at 11:11am
Ill post all the updates here so I don't spam the topic with my messages ^^
7 frames

8 frames need a fix in the arm

Fixed but the bounce needs to be fixed

Posted By: ChrisN
Date Posted: 30 March 2016 at 12:35am
This is my wip of IGoRge's work on ZombieNightTerror

Posted By: rocifier
Date Posted: 30 March 2016 at 2:22pm
What happened to my WIP post for the challenge? Just went to update it and it's gone...

Posted By: Mandrill
Date Posted: 30 March 2016 at 2:27pm
It didn't look like it was part of the challenge, I'm sorry. Whose style are you trying to copy?

Date Posted: 30 March 2016 at 4:56pm
I'm going to be copying Snakes, sorry I should have said. It was very early stages so just planning composition, but I wanted to show everyone how I make the entire piece. Here's current progress on it:

At this point I'm a little stuck on colours and ideas, if anyone has any feedback on this half finished piece, please shoot! This is simply a learning exercise for me.

Update: Tried to separate colours more and use more specific art from the mockup (I think it's starting to work better):

Progress, probably the most work on it so far - nearly done :D

Posted By: Mandrill
Date Posted: 30 March 2016 at 5:21pm
No worries! It looks great!

Date Posted: 02 April 2016 at 2:20am
Posted my final piece :) how are the rest of you going? I want to see the studio gibley one done :D

Print Page | Close Window