Print Page | Close Window

WIP - Girl in Purple

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: WIP (Work In Progress)
Forum Discription: Get crits and comments on your pixel WIPs and other art too!
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26533
Printed Date: 23 September 2019 at 6:34am

Topic: WIP - Girl in Purple
Posted By: LiteraryPixels
Subject: WIP - Girl in Purple
Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 11:45pm
Hey pixeljoint! It's been quite a while, and my style has gone through some changes, so I decided to try redoing my old sorceress character.

I'd love to hear any feedback, especially regarding shading or color!

Replies:
Posted By: snv
Date Posted: 03 February 2019 at 10:01am
Here is my edit. Hope it is useful.

Date Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:18pm
Hi snv, thank you for taking the time to do that! Some of the changes took the character in a different direction than I was envisioning, but I tried to make some parallel edits based on the changes that you made. In the future, there's no need to go through the effort of redrawing -- simply mentioning areas that have issues is just fine! But I really appreciated your effort, and I think my resulting draft is a step in the right direction:

- I wanted to keep a more flared skirt, at least for this frame of the eventual animation, but I did adjust it to be more parallel. I'll keep your version in mind for other outfits with thinner skirts!

- I made the belt thicker, but decided not to turn it into a sash.

- I added an additional three colors, because I liked the extra variety that your version provided, but I opted not to use blue, instead staying with warmer colors.

- I adjusted the arms using some of your tweaks as inspiration.

- I kept the white outline, as it was a stylistic choice.

Further feedback is very welcome!

Posted By: snv
Date Posted: 05 February 2019 at 4:01am
The problem is that cloth needs something to support it. Like i.e. air resistance during movement. Wide skirt in idle reminds of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannier_(clothing)

Date Posted: 05 February 2019 at 11:02pm
Hm, I see -- I was hoping to convey a dress that had a petticoat underneath, hence the wide skirt. However, maybe I can thin it down a little bit. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried a thinner skirt, but it makes it look like a different style of dress, so although I may recycle that look for a different character or if I decide to do an animation, I think I'm going to keep the wide skirt for now.

Print Page | Close Window