Print Page | Close Window

17 Color Palette Comp

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26590
Printed Date: 19 October 2019 at 3:52pm

Topic: 17 Color Palette Comp
Posted By: Gecimen
Subject: 17 Color Palette Comp
Date Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:10am

Pixeljoint is holding another palette competition which is open to everyone and is quite simple.
Submit your 17 color unique + original color palette.
The winning palette will be used in PJs next ISOcollab. Other award winners may also be used in other events and challenges.

Add a rare trophy to your profile.

Competition closes in 3 weeks, May 7, 2019. (CLOSED!)

- The winning palette will be used on PJs next ISOcollab project. If you submit a palette you acknowledge that it will be used by others for the purpose of this project and credit may not be posted by participants if they submit their project piece to their gallery but you will get overall credit for it. These palettes are not to be considered art so please do not submit to your galleries. Its best to assume that others may use your palette beyond this project. By entering you are giving permission to others to use.

- Win a spiffy trophy + points which are rare and will look great in your profile.
+1000 Pts+500 Pts +250 Pts+100 Pts-HM*

* multiple honorable mentions may be awarded.

- Judges are your PJ Mods and select invited PJ members.

- Palettes will be judged on the basis of how it would work on the project theme, which will be kept a mystery to participants. But multi-purpose palettes (with a unique touch) always have a better chance.

- You may enter more than once but quality is better than quantity.

- A unique + original palette is the goal but a well balanced palette is very important even if your entry is monochromatic.

- Use this template for your submission.

You must name the HEX values and NO black - 000000 or white - FFFFFF

Replies:
Date Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:56am
Submissions/Entry List
If you don't see your palette added to this post within 24 hours please contact a Mod or post a comment below.

0xDB - 2019_04_22_0xDB_01

JerryPie - JP17

JerryPie - Juicy-17

DimDim - Indecision

Irenaart - 17vivid

Irenaaart - 17undertones

Irenaart - 17pastels

s.g.m. - sgm-palette1

s.g.m. - sgm-palette2

xaiue - 17 Above Zero

xaiue - SY17

Minord - Ocaso

Mordfikosz - 12bit
https://postimages.org/">

AdigunPolack - AAP-MajestyXVII

Drazile - DRZ17A

SparkNorris - SpaceyEaster

DimWiddy - DW17

Jinn

CuriousBeefJerky - Whimsy17

SoloSalsero - SLSO-CLR17

Posted By: 0xDB
Date Posted: 22 April 2019 at 1:15pm
entry "2019_04_22_0xDB_01":

-------------
http://www.dennisbusch.de/index.php - 0xDB | https://twitter.com/dennisbusch_de - twitter

Posted By: JerryPie
Date Posted: 23 April 2019 at 1:37am
JP-17

-------------------------

Juicy-17

Updated JP-17.

Also decided to make another palette playing with similar colors. Juicy-17!

(Awesome mockup by PJ artist: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/62748.htm - llshadow )

Date Posted: 23 April 2019 at 3:30pm
We delayed the ending date for a week because of easter holidays.

Posted By: DimDim
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 8:13am
Indecision

Updated the palette and one more test

Posted By: Irenaart
Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:40am
My entry for the palette comp:
17vivid-irenaart

Date Posted: 28 April 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by DimDim

Indecision

You can get critique here, right?

Not really but I'll write you on the piece you submit.

Posted By: s.g.m.
Date Posted: 30 April 2019 at 5:07am
sgm-palette1

Posted By: s.g.m.
Date Posted: 30 April 2019 at 5:09am
sgm-palette2

Date Posted: 30 April 2019 at 5:34am
17undertones

Posted By: Minord
Date Posted: 30 April 2019 at 3:17pm
Ocaso

Posted By: DawnBringer
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:40pm
@Minord: Can't use pure white (FFFFFF).

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:57am
@Minord; in addition to what Dawnbringer said, you don't need that color at all while FFFABD is there.

Posted By: DimDim
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:09am
updated my palette

Posted By: Xaiue
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:27am
I hope this palette looks okay on your machine, because colors aren't displayed correctly on my laptop..
"17 Above Zero"

I wanted to make a cool palette that was heavy on blues and weak on yellows.

Enjoy some cubes, ramps and fast, micro-sketches hastily thrown together at 2 in the morning.

Posted By: Minord
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:04pm
@Gecimen @DawnBringer, sorry i believed what the white -ffffff, it was only examples.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 3:01am
I can't choose to replace any of my previous palettes (), so here is my 3th entry:
17pastels

Posted By: mordfikosz
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:11am
My take on the subject. It's basically an extended and optimized version of my 11 color palette. It's 12bit as well.
https://postimages.org/">

Posted By: AdigunPolack
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:37am
An EXCELLENT hello to all of you in this years’s exciting palette competition on PixelJoint, and since the rather start of this event, I have been working really closely on my own brand new, uniquely fascinating 17-color palette in my own personal vision that I am quite delighted to share with you awesome ladies and gentlemen indeed.  Now, it is finally finished at last... and here, I give you AAP-MajestyXVII as my original entry for this compo:

Having learned the many valuable, critically important lessons from my previous year’s 15-color palette, I just wanted to make all the colors for my newest 2019 AAP-MajestyXVII palette here for this competition a whole rather lot more livelier and vibrant than ever in creating great pixel-art designs in general while maintaining a low color count overall.  More about that a little shortly.  ;)

The four (4) example screens above that I have created all by myself in this palette description sheet — which also includes the color map, the color fade chart, and the possible color combinations, too — all show you how to best optimize your use of AAP-MajestyXVII to get the maximum enjoyment out of it.  I wanted to be thoroughly certain that all 17 of my colors in this palette have a proper, well-balanced saturation tone to the point where you can easily read and distinguish all the colors... especially on those damn pesky reds, purples, and greens, also.  !!

Now as for the reds and purples, first of all, they are really the *most* toughest color tones that I have ever, ever tackled while building this very palette, and to tell you all the truth, I had to exactly separate them in terms alone of the hue quality just wide enough to help you more distinctly tell them apart instead of them ‘blending’ in too closely.  Again, totally plain difficult to accomplish, this bit... but I hope you really like the results of them yourself with the way I adjusted those reds and purples indeed to the point where I just made them a lot easier to the naked eye much of the time.

As for the greens, I wanted to give them a more natural, warm, welcoming, pleasurable “spring-to-summer”-like feeling without them turning too yellow-y.  These were also daunting for me to pull off as I just had to get the balance right... especially in creating plants, foliage, grass, moss, forests/jungles, vines, and more!

And about the “greys” in my AAP-MajestyXVII palette, these are the most interesting of all as they can be used for many sorts of things that would normally be a pure type of grey or shiny silver, such as blades, spikes, swords, armor, goblets, chains, metals, anything like that and perhaps even more.

The blues are carefully and meticulously designed in just such a way to the point of making the water all the more convincing and possibly wonderful to look at (as you can clearly see from the top-left sample screen of my AAP-MajestyXVII palette description sheet above), as well making the clear daytime skies and diamonds so much more beautiful and gorgeous, too... and those are some of the possibilities that can truly be utilized successfully using these blues, I quite gotta say!!  !

And lastly (but DEFINITELY not least!), if you look closely at the lower-right example screen of the four shown in this palette description sheet of mine above, you can clearly see the reds, oranges, and a touch of yellow all blend and combine together to easily make some excellent-quality skin tones using this exact palette; do let this be your sure path toward making some awesome pixel artworks out of it in this additional tidbit that I am showing you quite handsomely here, as well.

With all 17 of the colors made for my 2019 AAP-MajestyXVII palette, please enjoy them all as my massive improvement over my last year’s 15-color “ http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26360&PID=220810#220810 - AAP-RadiantXV ” one.  Unlike that other one of mine there which was rather too low a color saturation, I really had to step up my game a ton in improving *everything* in my newest palette that you see here in this post, everybody... and here I am, finally, to share it all with you amazingly splendid people on PJ!!!

Thank you all so much for your most excellent, excellent time, ladies and gents... truly quite great having you all indeed!!!  !!

Posted By: Drazile
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:27pm
DRZ17A

Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 2:56am
Everything's updated, tomorrow is the last day for entries :)

Posted By: SparkNorris
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:35am
I've never made a genuine 'pallette' so I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. I call it 'SpcaeyEaster' because I had sci-fi themes in mind, but I used mainly easter colors

Posted By: DimWiddy
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:13pm
DW17

Interested in feedback

Posted By: Xaiue
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:10pm
I had enough time to make another one! Yes!
"SY17" (short for Symmetric 17)

This one was aimed to be more vivid than my last one. It's focus is coverage and smooth(ish) interpolations, while maintaining 'typical colors' and, of course, the gimmick. (I'm sure those experienced palette smiths spotted it as soon as they saw the dark colors.)

And for the gimmick:
*drum roll*.. The palette is the exact same when you invert it!. Except for the grey, but that's a hardware issue.

edit: made a few adjustments to the palette. enjoy!

Posted By: Jinn
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:04pm

Some tests:

Posted By: CuriousBeefJerky
Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:04pm
Started a bit late, but I think I made it in time.
Whimsy17

Posted By: SoloSalsero
Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 4:50pm

Hi everyone.

My third palette so far. I made it specially for this, its name is SLSO-CLR17. I hope you like it and if you use it, please let me know the results.

Thank you

Date Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Amazing entries so far. 6 hours to go :)

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:10am
And now is over! 
Amazing work everyone!!! The judges will have a difficult job to choose just one palette for our next collab.

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:02am
@Gecimen, thank you for include my palette in such amazing group, but the name has a typo. It's name is SLSO-CLR17.

Thank you

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:21am
@SoloSalsero; problem solved! 

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:24am
Thank you so much @Irenaart

Posted By: Eggy
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:37am
Wonderful palettes everyone!
I was thinking of entering myself, but after trying some I realized I'm not able to make really good multi-color palettes just yet lol. Can't wait to see the winning palette!

Print Page | Close Window