Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 9/3/2007: Tales from the Future

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4926
Printed Date: 24 July 2019 at 2:59am

Topic: CHALLENGE 9/3/2007: Tales from the Future
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 9/3/2007: Tales from the Future
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 1:41am

CHALLENGE: Tales from the Future

From Parallel Worlds challenge winner ../../../../p/11448.htm - Framin comes this week's challenge, "Tales from the Future". Create the Title Screen for a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk - cyberpunk * game.

* Something in good old "Blade Runner", "Neuromancer", "Ghost in the Shell" style.  Think dark streets, razor girls, broken dreams and so on :)

Rules:
  • Colors: 32 max. Monochromatic coloring (doesn't have to be greys) + 1 other color.*
  • Canvas Size: 320x240
  • Transparency: No
  • Animation: No

* ../../../../pixelart/14346.htm - Sample coloring style showing a monochromatic scheme with a color added. Notice that the extra color has its own ramp.
../../../../ws/player.asp?u=full/coloursnail.gif">

Art by ../../../../p/1455.htm - Mirre

or as Corpus, put it on a comment below:
I guess it means you can only use two colour 'ramps,' as the OP calls them, and one of them needs to be predominant in the image with the other used only for accenting (sort of thing).

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp - submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8 - WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1052' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Tales from the Future pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/24448.htm' target='_blank'>Future W by /p/2878.htm' target='_blank'>phob
/pixelart/24538.htm' target='_blank'>Failsafe by /p/224.htm' target='_blank'>pixelblink
/pixelart/24543.htm' target='_blank'>hell driver by /p/6236.htm' target='_blank'>tomic

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/24537.htm' target='_blank'>Electric sheeps by /p/12328.htm' target='_blank'>Mochi
/pixelart/24542.htm' target='_blank'>Hax: A Cyberpunk Game by /p/12234.htm' target='_blank'>Corpus
/pixelart/24554.htm' target='_blank'>Criterion Par by /p/8024.htm' target='_blank'>skeddles
/pixelart/24489.htm' target='_blank'>Tokyo CyberPunk by /p/12253.htm' target='_blank'>FrostPumpkin
/pixelart/24555.htm' target='_blank'>Steroids by /p/10782.htm' target='_blank'>The_Elder
/pixelart/24492.htm' target='_blank'>New Gomorrah by /p/11776.htm' target='_blank'>Jim The Wonder Dog
/pixelart/24488.htm' target='_blank'>NEO SPARTAN by /p/10948.htm' target='_blank'>spartan_117

Replies:
Posted By: spartan_117
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 2:55am
sin city style.
im entering.

-------------

Posted By: FrostPumpkin
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 4:03am
hum... very very wip thing :

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 4:54am
you copied my idea of a cyberpunk dude except mine was suppused to be a neo spartan

-------------

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 5:09am
http://imageshack.us">

this cyborg spartan was designed to look like the great spartan warriors of old and be two time stronger than a human. the ultimate warrior.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 5:26am
step 2

Posted By: Gelsamel
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:05am

My WIP.

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:12am

a bit of lighting. the hair is going to be a metal piece due to the large canvas size.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:12am
gelsamel your work is a 53 colors piece :/ you have to reduce it to participe to the challenge

here's my next wip step :

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:15am
You have some program which can tell or did you count em all?

I think most is from the text, lemme fix it up a bit.

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:18am
my program can count the colours of course ^^

I think you should make the text by hand and had AA after

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:26am
Originally posted by FrostPumpkin

my program can count the colours of course ^^

I think you should make the text by hand and had AA after

Yeh I was going to do that, could you check how many colors this has?

Edit: Also any advice on AAing stuff would be helpful too haha. If anyone wants to tell me a good way to do it then I think PMing is a good idea to avoid cluttering this thread more.

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:32am
41 colors :s

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:33am

41 colors :s

Lmfao, I swear to god I did not double click on the color bar that many times haha.. weird though I'll have to check and make sure everything was actually reused...

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 10:37am
worked on the hair. decided to make him a bit more human.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 10:54am
I'm working on the hair too :

Posted By: Hapiel
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 10:54am
what does monochromatic means if it not means gray?

-------------

Posted By: Blueberry_pie
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 10:59am
Monochromatic means different shades of one colour.

-------------

Posted By: raelz
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 11:15am
but in fact in this challenge you have TWO colours to use (in different shades), right?

-------------
Brod:
That's odd... I saved as png. It must've changed it to png when I uploaded it...
m0d:
I am astounded by your brilliant deductive skills. You humble me, o great logician.

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Posted By: Corpus
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 2:41pm
Yeah, that's what I was just thinking. I guess it means you can only use two colour 'ramps,' as the OP calls them, and one of them needs to be predominant in the image with the other used only for accenting (sort of thing).

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Corpus

Yeah, that's what I was just thinking. I guess it means you can only use two colour 'ramps,' as the OP calls them, and one of them needs to be predominant in the image with the other used only for accenting (sort of thing).

OMG, we have a genious in the house. Couldn't be worded better, so I'm adding to the first post with the rules. Thx corpus.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: Setzer
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 9:57pm
Just thought I'd note that when I think cyberpunk, I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamweb - dreamweb.

a peek at something that has a low chance of being finished;

-------------
http://sj-gfx.com">

Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 11:41pm
here is the next stage :
please...crits !!

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 1:19am

Thought of starting the background. Any tips on how i can make the gate look like it is a military base.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 1:21am
I've started to make the font for the game title :

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 1:58am
I had a really cool idea for a title screen, but it was animated so I can't do it :(

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 3:07am
setzer can I use your palette ? pleaaaaaase 

Posted By: Jim The Wonder Dog
Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 3:43am
hm, what does a 'Title Screen' have ? must it include some menu elements ?

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 3:49am
in general on a title screen, there is the title of the game or the logo and often we can see "press start" on it

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 7:17am

Decided to change the background to red and make an enemy face the neo spartan. like alien vs predator.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 7:32am
added the building :

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:36am
to spartan_117:
the text now looks like it is squeezed in between of the two enemies, don't you think?
my opinion is that you could either use that as benefit (to put it nicely in between, so that the text is like a barrier - as a metaphor ofc.), or put it on the top (top layer) of the picture, so you don't have to solve the positions.

to FrostPumpkin:
ok, this is just really my opinion - the soldier looks kinda lost in the picture, when it has no coulour. Not sure about that, you could either colour it, or make the buildings (they are nice, indeed!) shine on it.

-------------
Brod:
That's odd... I saved as png. It must've changed it to png when I uploaded it...
m0d:
I am astounded by your brilliant deductive skills. You humble me, o great logician.

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 10:44am

thanks raelz for the suggestion ! But the buildings don't shine on the soldier, but the galaxie does !!
what's your opinion ?

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 10:48am
decided to make the enemy more godly.an enemy worthy of being fought by a spartan. The devil.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 11:02am
I think the devil is a little small for a "godly" ennemi. and to accentuate the godly effect you should add some veins on the face and longers horns, something like that

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 11:03am
ill do that. thanx

-------------

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 11:32am

what's your opinion ?

Well, I like it :-) Maybe if it would shine a little more.. I don't really know, can't really imagine it. Anyway, GJ, I can say that from those 4 we have here so far I would definately pick this in top 3 ;-))))

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by raelz

I can say that from those 4 we have here so far I would definately pick this in top 3 ;-))))

thank you very much ! i'm glad to read that

Posted By: cath881
Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 12:30pm
really great challenge!i ll try do do something :)..if  i finish another pixel i`m working on;) ..and FrostPumpkin ,your entry looks amazing i love the way you made the buildings and galaxies !

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 12:43pm
thanks ! I'm waiting for your entry dude ;]

Posted By: Shinamon
Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 9:11pm

↔ You mean, something like this?

Of course, not even the rough outline is done. >_< - Have to sleep. -

Dude, I'm such a newbie. But yeah, I'm hoping to have more realistic shading. And yeah, critisism so far?

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 1:32am
Yes. Your rough outline is not rough enough in some areas.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 2:44am
God I don't think I'll even get to work on my stuff with Uni, esp. something new to me.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 3:27am

Yes. Your rough outline is not rough enough in some areas.

Say what? o_o

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 4:42am
:P

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 7:05am
i gave the devil a third horn.
crits please.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 7:14am
spartan : aw it's way better ! and the font is really nice now
shinamon : I love the beginning ! the nose isn't perfect but I like it

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 7:38am
thanx but i have problems with the lighting of the rest of the devil any tips.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 8:49am
what about the veins? :) I really loved them 

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:02am
don't worry ! frost is here !
I hope This edit can help you

I've hadded lightenings and changed a little the palette
what do you think ?
And sorry, I can't help you for the rest, I have to work on MY work lol

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:17am
thanx thats exactly what i needed. i just needed a reference to shade the devils face its my first time doing a profile.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:24am
I'm glad to see that i can help you ;) I let you go for the rest ! I want your work to be great dude

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 10:08am
I dunno, I still think that the devil's head could be bigger - at the moment, it's much smaller than the Neo Spartan's head, so you don't get the impression that this is a formidable opponent.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:01pm

I think this is final. Maybe change txt color. Thanx frost for the lighting reference. 26 colors total.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:05pm
you're welcomme dude ;) and I think you should change the text color...only one color would be better

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:07pm
Cool, I like that blue a lot more than the old red.

Yeah, like Frost says, the text would look better in one colour. You could move the red to the 'Press Start' text to emphasise/differentiate it.

Posted By: Blueberry_pie
Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:08pm
How about pixeling the text yourself? 'Neo Spartan' looks like the font Stencil and 'Press Start' like, well, Press Start (or Press Stark K, I don't know).

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:11pm

You mean like this.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:18pm
well blue considering the challenge is supposed to be a start screen for a game and considering most people in games use premade text i decided to type it. And considering that the text is just an add on to make it look like a game screen it really isnt the focal point of the challenge. I really hope th text is not gonna affect ur judgement.

blue u choose which one if it makes u feel better.

-------------

Posted By: Metaru
Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:33pm

working, with a bit of luck will finish this before friday.

unfortunately, i couldn't animate it.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:54pm
Looks like it should be pretty awesome, Metaru :D

And yeah, Spartan, that looks great. The 'Press Start' text is off-centre relative to the title text, though, which looks a little unbalanced.

Oh, also, currently, the contrast between the copyright text and the background is greater than the contrast between the actual title text and the background, which gives the impression that the copyright notice is more important than the title It's not a huge issue, but design-wise, it's things like this that make all the difference.

Well, the title text - and text in general - is an integral part of any game, particularly in the case of the title screen.

Also, "if it makes u feel better"? Hmm.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 1:08pm

there all done.

Also, "if it makes u feel better"? Hmm.

i was just saying that text doesnt affect a pixel in this case.

-------------

Posted By: Larwick
Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 6:22pm
Pah, it should've been greys, or at least close to greys. And the greys should fill most of the image. IMHO.

Metaru, that's hot.

-------------
http://larw-ck.deviantart.com">

Posted By: Monkey 'o Doom
Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 6:27pm
Spartan, you should work on polishing your piece before submitting. You have a lot of curves that are really sketchy right now and overall it looks unfinished. Antialias your text a bit; you have the colors, and those fonts look like they were made with a text tool rather than pixelling. I'm not sure how strict the gallery is on that if they're not inflating color count, but I'd pixel them myself in a similar style just to be safe were I in your position. Also, game screens usually have no copyright notifications or say "Copyright (c) <company> 2007" in small unobtrusive text in the corner.

-------------
http://pixelmonkey.ensellitis.com">
RPG is numberwang.

Posted By: Daria
Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 7:51pm
Spartan: Can't say I'm a huge fan of these new colors. If I didn't have reference from what this was before I wouldn't know this was a helmet/spartan and a devil. The spartan blue is way too strong, I think they should equally stand out.
Also, discounting text is bad form I think. It's not just based on your image, but as the whole.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:01pm
Fixed up the outline, doing the colouring/background tomorrow.

This colour isn't going to be a final colour, I think.

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 11:31pm
Holy crap that is awesome.

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:01am

I hope these colors are okay

-------------

Posted By: tocky
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:37am

Just posting this now so it'll burn on my conscience and I finishe eet. 'slooking like I might actually meet a deadline for once. 

Posted By: ScarredShadow
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:44am
Heres what i have so far (NPA stage)..what should I do with it?

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 3:36am
it said that the canvas size is 320x240 so i hope this is only part of the scene. otherwise its good.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 9:02am

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 9:34am
decided to make it more cyber punk so i screwed the text and devil and drew crusher (the bad guy)

-------------

Posted By: Larwick
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 10:41am
Metaru, i hope you're not gunna continue to use that messy dithering...  Naughty Metaru, no.

-------------
http://larw-ck.deviantart.com">

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:48pm

'Course, the background is nowhere half done. But I thought I'd like to let everyone know that it's a window. XD
Again, this may be the colours I'm using, but I'm somehow opting for brown to get a 'grungy' look.

And no, I'm not leaving the messy squares. They're supposed to be lighting.

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:47pm

don'tlike that dithering eh? guess i'll go back to solid shapes then.

throwing an http://www.adventure-hall.com/links/gk1.jpg - idea  of how this could be made, althougth its not PixelArt.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Posted By: ScarredShadow
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by spartan_117

it said that the canvas size is 320x240 so i hope this is only part of the scene. otherwise its good.

yeah i didn't see the point of showing the only thing i had on my canvas on the full sized canvas. Yep it's only part of the scene.

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Metaru

ok, I won't be able to finish this for the comp. but i want to see it finished. so, if anyone is interested to finish this, feel free to use it and submit it for the challenge. I'm just tired of watching my ideas wasted because i can't finish them in time.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 4:52pm

ok, I won't be able to finish this for the comp. but i want to see it finished. so, if anyone is interested to finish this, feel free to use it and submit it for the challenge. I'm just tired of watching my ideas wasted because i can't finish them in time.

Finish it later and submit it after the competition...you don't need to scrap it entirely even if you aren't entering into the challenge...but you really don't need that much dithering...the max colour count is 32

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Shinamon

'Course, the background is nowhere half done. But I thought I'd like to let everyone know that it's a window. XD
Again, this may be the colours I'm using, but I'm somehow opting for brown to get a 'grungy' look.

And no, I'm not leaving the messy squares. They're supposed to be lighting.

WOW D:

Amazing.

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 12:39am

finnished a basic lighting scheme. whadya think???

@metaru : it would be a bigger shame if u didnt hand it in in time.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 7:23am
Originally posted by skamocore

Finish it later and submit it after the competition...you don't need to scrap it entirely even if you aren't entering into the challenge...but you really don't need that much dithering...the max colour count is 32
 and so? That doesn't mean I will/have to/can use 32 colors. The less the best. But I have to admit, parts of the image dithering (50%) were produced for my foolish intention of saving it as a GIF in MSPaint. fortunately, I'm using a BMP backup.

I'll finish it.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 9:52am
I have finished my entry...the game is just named "tokyo"

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 10:16am
As I see, the most used composition will be a profile in one of the sides of the picture, like the example I provided a few post above. its my duty to break this lack of originality!
still not finished. removed the bad dithering. found a good background color.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 11:05am
ok frost, your pixel is just exactly what I was hoping to see in this competition and I am proud of being the actually small adviser on this pixel! :D Be sure to have my vote! (unless some super-artists come with three never seen amazing technics :-)

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 11:21am
thank you very much raelz ! I can't wait to see the results >.<

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 12:18pm
added the second ramp, working on details and UI. I'm finishing this today after all.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 12:24pm
Metaru:
Just an opinion - I just do not like the complete view of the pixel :P Not that it would be drawed wrongly, I just don't like it, Im sorry about it... Maybe some background could change my mind? I dunno.

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 12:45pm

A matter of taste maybe?

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 1:10pm
Of course, but are you gonna do some background? It should be a title screen for a game after all...

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 1:19pm
metaru ill tell you what the heart really needs. not love nope. it needs to look natural not plastic. make blue(/purple) colored veins on the heart and add some white fat at the top.

see.

-------------

Posted By: Jim The Wonder Dog
Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 2:01pm
jee, i was eating :)

Posted By: pixelblink
Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 10:29pm
thought I should post what I have so far in case I don't make the deadline

So far it is indeed a bit too symmetrical but I will change that near the end with some offset items. I also would like to add something on the sides to fill up space. Originally I was going to have a street scene with a character running through it but my instinct told me to do otherwise. Ideas?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 3:19am
I think that even that you won't have enough time to finish it, it is amazing enough to post it like that and be in top3 :P
The symmetric head does not matter, since it's title screen for a game, it's more what game title screen looks like...
I don't really have an idea what would fit to the head, I'll post if find one. Just the head looks scary... so maybe something scary at the background aswell, something hopeless etc. But thats pretty much whats cyberpunk about :P

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Posted By: phob
Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 9:16am
new version. is it correct ?

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 9:57am
Originally posted by phob

That is made of win. Is there even any point in me completing my piece any more?

Ah, it's all about taking part I suppose

Posted By: Elk
Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 12:40pm
his lip is odd :0

but i like the eye =)

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 1:02pm
I like pretty much everything about it. The lip's really cool and stylized. It could do with a background, though.

Posted By: jesusbot3000
Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 2:10pm
I'm working on something that should hopefully be pretty cool and a nice re-intro to pj. Should have a preview/wip up late tonight.

Frost, the font for "Tokyo" is seriously amazing. And Metaru, I'd really like to see you finish that heart, should be good.

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 2:42pm
I just don't like that everybody does pixels without background.. :(
To phob:
Ok, if I don't think about the background, I like your piece very much. The text fits there perfectly aswell!

-------------
Brod:
m0d:

MWAHAHAHAA xD

Print Page | Close Window