Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 1/25/2010: Bug Fight

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: https://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9749
Printed Date: 12 July 2020 at 6:54pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 1/25/2010: Bug Fight
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 1/25/2010: Bug Fight
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Bug Fight

Challenge winner ../p/1522.htm - Xion Night wants you to create a mockup of a game, in any genre, that pits insect forces against one another.
For the purpose of this challenge anything that would fall under the category of " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropod - arthropod " is OK.

Canvas size - Exactly 240 (width) x 176 (height) -or-
                       Exactly 320 (width) x 240 (height).
Colors - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp - submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8 - WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1174' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Bug Fight pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/49833.htm' target='_blank'>BUGwars by /p/23736.htm' target='_blank'>kevink
/pixelart/49888.htm' target='_blank'>Tokio Arthropod Sunshine by /p/19163.htm' target='_blank'>Victor Rojo
/pixelart/49813.htm' target='_blank'>Buglands~ by /p/17275.htm' target='_blank'>Satsume

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/49837.htm' target='_blank'>Versus by /p/20935.htm' target='_blank'>griffsnuff
/pixelart/49806.htm' target='_blank'>Webby vs Scorps by /p/14294.htm' target='_blank'>TunderPhoenix
/pixelart/49819.htm' target='_blank'>Beetle Bash by /p/22025.htm' target='_blank'>Clickety
/pixelart/49884.htm' target='_blank'>Paintbug by /p/23265.htm' target='_blank'>Manupix
/pixelart/49775.htm' target='_blank'>The Lair; Final Fight by /p/25263.htm' target='_blank'>Ozzy123
/pixelart/49792.htm' target='_blank'>bug fight - challenge entry by /p/25237.htm' target='_blank'>bitswitcher
/pixelart/49750.htm' target='_blank'>Arthropod game challenge by /p/22212.htm' target='_blank'>TheRobinHood
/pixelart/49885.htm' target='_blank'>Cptn. Lobster by /p/23238.htm' target='_blank'>Kudohazama
/pixelart/49795.htm' target='_blank'>Micro-Meteor! by /p/26139.htm' target='_blank'>bellaire
/pixelart/49875.htm' target='_blank'>Bug Battle by /p/12755.htm' target='_blank'>Flarfy
/pixelart/49876.htm' target='_blank'>Dual wasps - boss battle 2: GIANT ENEMY CRAB! by /p/11318.htm' target='_blank'>Reo
/pixelart/49798.htm' target='_blank'>bug beaten by another bug by /p/25594.htm' target='_blank'>rustEdge

Replies:
Posted By: RA/pdx
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 3:14am
Mockups are always a good idea.

Sorry, but this bonus link is absolutely abnormal.

Posted By: Elk
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 3:14am
I'm in, but the canvas is a bit small :(

Posted By: x-death
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 4:28am
i'm confused what is refered to as a bug. are insects allowed?

what "bugs" are covered in this word? are we allowed to make up our own? do we have to include a menu in this mockup or not? the peice can it be a menu if it shows the bugs fighting or must it be in game play?

also is there a certain view we must keep to or not?

there are so many questions that aren't answered in this challenge post. i like the sudden change in challenge for the week. but it would have been nice to have been given more info.

i ask this because bugs and insects are suppose to be different things but most consider them the same, and things like scorpions and spiders are aracnids so they aren't considered to be either.

so it doesn't leave hardly any options to choose from. and with so little options i can't find a single one which would be beleivable to actually go in a full on fight with something. so what am i suppose to do, draw a grass hopper covered in bed bugs?

Posted By: Flarfy
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 6:18am
I'm almost 100 % sure that in this case "bugs" refer to most arthropods. e.g. insects, arachnids and even centipedes if you wanna go crazy.
This challenge obviously isn't about correct classification but about creepy crawler combat!

Just go for it :-)

-------------
~ Pixel or Die! ~

Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 6:32am
thanks, i was hoping it was creepy crawlies. it is definitily easier to understand then saying bug and then saying insect. that confused me alot.

if i get a good idea for this i'll definitely enter.

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Flarfy

I'm almost 100 % sure that in this case "bugs" refer to most arthropods. e.g. insects, arachnids and even centipedes if you wanna go crazy.
This challenge obviously isn't about correct classification but about creepy crawler combat!

Just go for it :-)

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: kevink
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 1:13pm

My idea and wip. Now I need to find the time to finish it!

Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 3:28pm
entering this for my boo jalonso <3 he will make a nice character in my mockup

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Elk

You understand its a fight and not a love scene, right

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: rustEdge
Date Posted: 25 January 2010 at 4:58pm
Arthropods... CRAB! hehe.
Bugs for a game... gotta start working on it, lolz.

Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 2:06am
Originally posted by jalonso

Originally posted by Elk

You understand its a fight and not a love scene, right

black widow kills the opponent aswell after the love act <3

Posted By: rustEdge
Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:19am
This might sound like a dumb question but, are we limited to just one scene, or can we create a batch of screens for the submission?

Posted By: slym
Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:00pm
Probably, it is a mockup of a game, so that would allow/include other "screens" of the game.

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:15pm
@rustedge - The challenge calls for just creating one mock-up image, and therefore should show just one screen. I suppose it would be ok to show multiple screens if it were showing a splitscreen multiplayer or something similar though.

So generally, no, this is not a challenge where you are going to be showing many different screens; it should just be one 240x176/320x240 scene from the game.

-------------

Posted By: Robinhood
Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Elk

And then they eat them. 

Posted By: Kudohazama
Date Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:04pm
I usually work on something right after they say what the challenge is about, but this time I'll wait till the very end.

Posted By: Bubu
Date Posted: 27 January 2010 at 7:55am

never really made a mockup before... anyway! very rough, very quick, very done-in-2-min-during-lunchbreak sketch of dung beetle dung-attacking its yet to be decided opponent... was thinking mantis for colour contrast?

Posted By: ellie-is
Date Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:09am
Maybe a cricket or grasshopper.
Also, to make it more like a mockup, I think you should remove the text, and maybe add some sort of life bars on the top of the pic, like a fighting game.

Posted By: Bubu
Date Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:19am
Originally posted by lucas_irineu

Maybe a cricket or grasshopper.
Also, to make it more like a mockup, I think you should remove the text, and maybe add some sort of life bars on the top of the pic, like a fighting game.

oh hell yes, that's just the concept - there will be life bars, possibly a circular "portrait" of each, and the text's gonna go. was thinking maybe I should make the chars smaller though - so they've space to move back and forth to fight - should assess that before starting to work on it.

Posted By: Flarfy
Date Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:24am
Originally posted by TheRobinHood

Originally posted by Elk

And then they eat them. 
I do this too

-------------
~ Pixel or Die! ~

Date Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:57am
I don't, I do something else

Posted By: Robinhood
Date Posted: 28 January 2010 at 6:56am

Its not even a WIP anymore, and I've already submitted it, but oh well.

@Elk - >:|

Posted By: bellaire
Date Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:14pm
Here's my WIP, this is my first pixel, not really happy with the direction it took... I don't think I made good use of color, and the character/mob sprites  just look silly to me, but I'm not sure how to fix it...

Posted By: bitswitcher
Date Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:11am

Done :)

Date Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:44am
it all looks great but your characters blend in so much ith the background its hard to tell were they were until i looked really hard. 

Posted By: bitswitcher
Date Posted: 30 January 2010 at 5:23am
edit://

Posted By: ellie-is
Date Posted: 30 January 2010 at 12:11pm
Can we make crabs? They're arthropods :P

Posted By: Ivy00
Date Posted: 30 January 2010 at 3:53pm
Not sure if I'll have time to finish this off, here is a very very rough version of my buggy.   Had to at least give the topic a try :)

Date Posted: 31 January 2010 at 2:54am
nice job bitswitcher in my opinion you should try making the ground stand out more, just like you did with your characters. then compare what you have to the original you showed us and see if you liek your changes ;)

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 01 February 2010 at 2:44am
Challenge voting section. Snazzy.

Print Page | Close Window