Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 2/22/2010: Optimistic Occupatio

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9893
Printed Date: 25 May 2019 at 8:30pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 2/22/2010: Optimistic Occupatio
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 2/22/2010: Optimistic Occupatio
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Optimistic Occupations

Challenge winner, ../../../../p/19218.htm - Jeremy wants you to use the palette shown below to depict someone doing the job that you wanted to have when you were younger. For example, if you wanted to be a paleontologist when you were younger, then you would create an image of a paleontologist doing thier job.

It does not strictly need to be realistic, nor does it have to be entirely truthful - It's not like we can read your mind! ...yet.

Canvas Size - Min 150 (width) x 100 (height); Max 300 (Width) x 200 (height).
Colours - Max 16. Use only colours from this palette (sourced from the SEGA Master System):

Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1178' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Optimistic Occupations pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/50620.htm' target='_blank'>Joe Pass 1929 - 1994 by /p/21762.htm' target='_blank'>mambazo
/pixelart/50550.htm' target='_blank'>I wanna be an attorney at law! by /p/24804.htm' target='_blank'>[balder]
/pixelart/50673.htm' target='_blank'>The News by /p/23612.htm' target='_blank'>Phones

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/50662.htm' target='_blank'>Loading ready zzz by /p/23474.htm' target='_blank'>inphy
/pixelart/50554.htm' target='_blank'>surgeon by /p/26442.htm' target='_blank'>Bovkoun
/pixelart/50667.htm' target='_blank'>[BJ] Bad Boys, what u gonna do. by /p/7998.htm' target='_blank'>B_j0k3r0
/pixelart/50702.htm' target='_blank'>Vroom vroom! by /p/24297.htm' target='_blank'>JediDude
/pixelart/50682.htm' target='_blank'>Garbage man by /p/20804.htm' target='_blank'>bonehead11
/pixelart/50699.htm' target='_blank'>Last human alive by /p/18617.htm' target='_blank'>Photocopier
/pixelart/50657.htm' target='_blank'>Mangaka by /p/26245.htm' target='_blank'>Nemils
/pixelart/50622.htm' target='_blank'>ice cream~ by /p/22212.htm' target='_blank'>TheRobinHood
/pixelart/50629.htm' target='_blank'>Space Walk by /p/26612.htm' target='_blank'>tsoccer93
/pixelart/50616.htm' target='_blank'>king of the slimes by /p/23736.htm' target='_blank'>kevink
/pixelart/50713.htm' target='_blank'>Future Work by /p/2880.htm' target='_blank'>htdreams
/pixelart/50715.htm' target='_blank'>Dream Job by /p/23265.htm' target='_blank'>Manupix
/pixelart/50652.htm' target='_blank'>Dentist by /p/25949.htm' target='_blank'>snowk

Replies:
Posted By: Robinhood
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:10am
Blaergh, hate specific palettes  :(
I doubt I'll enter on this one, but we'll see :P

Posted By: Ambient
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 12:02pm
Male doctor who checks women for breast cancer- "Hmmm... I'm not sure, you'll have to make another appointment."
I'll try to get this done...

Posted By: inphy
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 12:22pm

\(_o)/

jiipm: Yeah, I'm planning to animate this and show some action on the screen.

Posted By: orenshtiv
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 1:11pm
@TheRobinHood - me too xD  but if you want youy can use the black\gray\white and make a non-color pic ^ ^  ,I wanted to do it but I have no idea,everytime when someone asked me what I want to be when I grow up I sed... "I dunno"  <(Oo)>

-------------
░▒▓█▓▒░ ◘The power is in our hands!◘░▒▓█▓▒░

Posted By: M. Lucanius
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by inphy

10 print 'LOL'
11 goto 10
RUN

LOLOLOL

Posted By: Manupix
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 7:29pm
@ TRH, oren: you are required to do something. Palette challenges are the best.

Even more so with this palette, looks so deliciously boring.

Posted By: snowk
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 8:09pm
I also like the idea of a specific pallette. I've never tried one before but it sounds like such a fun thing to do! it would seem like it makes you go outside you comfort zone and grow as a artist. I am defenately entering this!

time to go look up pictures of teeth.....

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 8:18pm
This may be of some help

Agreed with Manu :D (Was originally suggesting the XP Paint palette, like it better now? ;D )

And I've found that working small with this palette is easier...

Posted By: TalesOfFan
Date Posted: 22 February 2010 at 9:57pm
Seeing as I still wish to be a anthropologist, and am only 1 year away from college; I will go with that.

Posted By: Petrichor
Date Posted: 23 February 2010 at 7:16pm
I am probably not going to get around to finish this, but anyway:

Never worked with any kind of harshly-restricted palette like this... it was an education, even if I end up not finishing. I will try to get back to it :P

And before anyone says something about the shape of the foot, it is in homage to these:

shoes from the amazing-but-totally-insane-and-unwearable-alien-themed show Alexander McQueen did last year, god rest his brilliant but totally batsh*t soul.

Posted By: jiipm
Date Posted: 24 February 2010 at 4:18am
I wanted to be like Indiana Jones, a treasure hunter. I think I'm going to do a Indy-scene by using yellow and red. What you think? I'm going to do a character hanging from a cliff and we see the endless pit.

I'm going to do a Indy-game mockup. Something like Fate of Atlantis.

@ member_profile.asp?PF=24377&FID=1 - Petrichor : Make sure you make the skirt 3d-like. Draw attention from the other female on the background. Maybe do her with only 2 colors and avoid detail? I don't think you need black in this one. The purple works fine as the darkest shade.

@ member_profile.asp?PF=19094&FID=1 - Jeremy : That rasterized palette is brilliant! I might use some of those for yellow and red :)

@ member_profile.asp?PF=23337&FID=1 - inphy : I like your choice of colors. Just might look a bit boring with only the computer's screen drawing attention. Might want to make the screen have some interesting detail? Maybe use yellow(opposite of purple)to draw something to the screen?

@ member_profile.asp?PF=21230&FID=1 - Ambient : Hah :D Be careful with balancing between humorous and just creepy perverted :P

Date Posted: 24 February 2010 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Manupix

@ TRH, oren: you are required to do something. Palette challenges are the best.

Even more so with this palette, looks so deliciously boring.

You're so forceful ;_;  But fine.  I'll try.

Posted By: htdreams
Date Posted: 24 February 2010 at 7:53pm
Hi there!

I'm joining this time to the challenge, let's push some pixel muscle! :D

This is my "future work vision" when i was a kid, or at least, one of them...

Pure wip, but i have more or less all elements i want in the image... now to define lines and coloring.

@Jeremy
: that mixed color table will be very usefull to choose combinations, thanks! :-D

Codec off

Date Posted: 24 February 2010 at 9:16pm
hey! everyone's looking good here! Well im here to request some advice on my shading; particularly on the mask. Iv'e been expirementing and I can'tget it to look good enough! anyway.....it was hard as butt to get the face done (for me). And if it wasn't clear enough I wanted to be a dentist  EDIT more shadin' 

-------------
-Snowk

Posted By: JediDude
Date Posted: 24 February 2010 at 9:48pm

Ugly WIP, feedback?

Posted By: Dr D
Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 12:30am
@htdreams - You wanted to levitate tetris blocks when you were little??

Posted By: jiipm
Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 3:32am
Originally posted by JediDude

Ugly WIP, feedback?

Needs more dark to the canvas. Kinda needs black outlines. Green surface is too boring. Could use some blending of aqua/cyan to it.

Posted By: A.B. Lazer
Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 4:08am
Originally posted by JediDude

Ugly WIP, feedback?

Not very fancy. The form is not balanced and proportionate enough.
Look at profile of real car that you took as inspiration and see how lines and in which manner (maybe they make any figure?) are continued throughout the whole body. And how placing of wheels relates to those lines. If any element placed at the same height as any other see and think if it was on purpose.
All those relations usually meant to make car beautiful.

Posted By: mambazo
Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 4:33am
Wanted to be a musician when I was younger, as I grew older I got into Jazz, so this is a tribute to the late Joe Pass (1929 - 1994).

Starting with the grays first to get the volumes down, then I might play with the colours.

C&C Welcome :)

Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Dr D

@htdreams - You wanted to levitate tetris blocks when you were little??

Not really :)

As the image is only an early WIP it could get confusing, but it's a VR headset and gloves, so we are seeing what the engineer is manipulating in 3D space

I want to make the tetriminions translucent as if they are "ghosts" to increase it's "virtuality"

@snowk: i like the image composition, and the face is fine, but you could draw the shadow of the face in a continuous line over the mask, i mean, all the face and mask are in shadow (right side of dentist), now it seems the face ends where the mask begins, as if it were a toy with plastic parts. As always, look image references of people with masks, don't try to draw all from memory, as you'll lose details.

See what i mean here: http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/RBL/RBL008/male-doctor-or_%7Eb13860.jpg - http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/RBL/RBL008/male-doctor-or_~b13860.jpg

Codec off

Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 11:36am
OH thanks alot htdreams, You make a really good point there. I defenatly will do what you said. I think I will redo some of the face so that the mask covers the nose. Also, I like the ref image :)

@JediDude I think you need a better angle rather that a straight profile.

-------------
-Snowk

Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 11:44am
So far so good :)

C&C's Welcome!

Posted By: Slemboll
Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 2:44pm
I always wanted to be a chef from your legs. This is a alien kind of chef steering around in several pots at once C&C`s please

Date Posted: 25 February 2010 at 4:53pm

Weird looking hood and wheels are intentional.  Meant to look like a little kid's drawing :D

Posted By: ellie-is
Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 9:46am
I wanted to be a super hero. Can I draw a power ranger or spiderman?

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 11:17am
sure

Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 2:45pm
need some critical help, i think iv`e ruined my piece totaly and need some pointers or tips

First

Second

Posted By: Zedeem
Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 3:35pm
Maaaan mambazo that is pure awesomeness!

Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 7:29pm
Thanks! There have been a number of edits since that, based on advice from some high level members, onek and Manupix. I will probably make a few more edits before the final bell tolls too, to fix the chubby right hand.

Progress can be followed http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/50620.htm - here ...

Date Posted: 26 February 2010 at 9:12pm
Here is my current wip, i'm not good at coloring and shadowing, so i'm open to c&c :)

Do you think the tetris pieces looks like something virtual?

By the way, mambazo, your piece looks great! very good dithering :-D

Codec off

Date Posted: 27 February 2010 at 3:51am
htdreams to me it looks like some kind of ring that have broken up in smaller pieces. I think it looks great

Posted By: Dirteater
Date Posted: 27 February 2010 at 10:26am
Originally posted by htdreams

Here is my current wip, i'm not good at coloring and shadowing, so i'm open to c&c :)Do you think the tetris pieces looks like something virtual?By the way, mambazo, your piece looks great! very good dithering :-DCodec off

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out! :D

Date Posted: 27 February 2010 at 11:55am
@htdreams   the arm on the left looks as if it has a different light scource that the rest of the body. other than that I would shade the holograms in all green dithering to make it look more like a hologram. Good job overall

-------------
-Snowk

Date Posted: 28 February 2010 at 6:27pm
Hi!

I've just finished my entry:

Thanks for your comment snowk, i fixed the ammount of light on the right arm

This was very fun to do, as i'm very noob to coloring and dithering, so it was a very good practice, but i must practice more to learn to use color well (i know it's a hard thing to learn)

Here is an animated gif with the wip:

I'm waiting to see the other entries :) good luck to everyone!

Codec off

Print Page | Close Window