After buying the "Silver" package of Half-Life 2 on Friday night I jumped in to play a little bit of the new Counter-Strike: Source. And by "little bit" I mean the whole weekend.
The new engine looks amazing and the interactivity with the environment (physics, lighting, detail, etc) takes the realism to a whole new level. It's been over a year since I last played Counter-Strike, but most of the gameplay pros/cons are all fully intact in this new version. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with this great v2 upgrade of Counter-Strike, but since I'm such a negative person let me just point out all the issues I ran into...
1) After downloading the game through Steam (smooth sailing so far) I was unable to browse for game servers. Several hours of browsing forums later I realized that my router was the issue. Even with all the HL2 related UDP/TCP ports wide open I couldn't get it going. Since I'm lazy and I'm a quitter I decided to just yank the DSL modem connection and stick it directly into my computer (much to the chagrin of my connection sharing girlfriend). Unfortunately I have never had any other Internet game/app fail like this so it did taint my experience a bit.
2) Once in the game I noticed a few choice maps were missing like Militia, Assault and "that skyscraper one". I'm sure they'll be added soon so I'm not too worried.
3) Another minor annoyance is the lack of character models. Right now there is only one for Terrorists and one for Counter Terrorists.
4) OK, I know Valve and no one else in the Universe has any control over this, but CS players never stop with the bitching and moaning. So the guy is a "n00b", get over it already!
Note: I see the irony of me complaining about complainers, but these knuckleheads have elevated whining to a whole new level
5) And the last gripe... there are no chickens in Italy (wtf!)