Mr.Pharand @ 10/10/2007 15:46 commented on CowPG Character Sprites
Yeah, I mean, the way we're planning development for the game, we want to open it to players as soon as the first few zones are finished, and the basic systems are done. It really shouldn't be taking as long as it has, but there are issues. Basically, as an online game, we plan to just keep adding content to it as we complete it, which will be easier once we get it out there and get the ball rolling.

Anyways, yes, we'll eventually be looking for testers, so thanks for the offer. We were hoping to have something ready before the end of the year, but again, issues make that seem less likely as time goes by.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/18/2007 12:16 commented on CowPG Character Sprites
I don't think you know what dolls or sprites are. I also don't think you've given any consideration to the fact that these were made for a game that is currently a work in progress, which you would know if you read the first sentence in the description field.

They aren't moving because this current piece isn't meant to depict them moving, it's just meant to show the static sprites with the base classes and breeds in the game.

Furthermore, if you'd like to get a better sense of the context for these (in addition to actually reading description fields), I have the most up to date static mockup here, and an older, flash made mockup (which does have animations) here.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/14/2007 10:54 commented on CowPG Mockup
Actually it's just using a lorem ipsum generator. It's pretty common in graphic design to use just for filler to see how the page looks with text. I don't even know what most of it means, but apparently it's excerpts from Cicero's "On the Ends of Good and Evil." Though since I chopped it up it's just gibberish.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/13/2007 13:42 commented on Crimsom Room
Good to know there's a place where weary seal clubbers can go to get a few drinks after a hard day of lunging-thrust-smacking their foes.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/13/2007 02:57 commented on CowPG Mockup
The names were just random things I picked to reference at the time. Frontalot was from MC Frontalot, yes. Manny was from Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango. Edgeworth was from Edgeworth in Phoenix Wright. And the player name and the first character's name were a reference to the Mölly and Ringwald stop motion cartoon.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/13/2007 02:55 commented on CowPG Mockup
No, nothing's playable yet. We're HOPING to have the first the basics of the game done, and the first few areas and quests playable and being tested by the end of the summer, though considering how lazy the guy I'm working with has been on the programming end, I'm not sure how likely this is.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 19:54 commented on Jason Hates Freddy
Yeah, I kind of agree with the previous comments. As far as I'm concerned, Jason is a hulking, machete wielding monster. Though I suppose being a pokemon trainer might wuss you up a bit.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 19:45 commented on CowPG Mockup
It's actually not arial, it's tahoma. The difference is apparent in the fact that you can actually tell the difference between a capital 'i/I' and a lowercase 'l/L' (though I'm not sure there's any examples of that on the image). I'm open to suggestions if you can think of better fonts since it's so ugly and hard to read. I've never had any problems with it, personally.

It seems to be an oddity in that everyone complains about helvetica derivatives, yet everyone uses them, and nobody ever suggests anything better, or suggest something even worse. Of course, this might just be because I've spent too much time talking to graphics artists and fontographers.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 19:17 commented on ISO crap
I mean, it's a little plain looking and it would look better if it wasn't just an unfinished cropped section, but it's certainly not bad, by any definition.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:40 commented on Danny Elfman's Crazy
Yeah, for a while I was trying to work out how to make the hair look better in general, including zoomed in (as I realise it doesn't correspond to the source very well) and I just couldn't get it right. I eventually just kind of settled for simplicity and something that looked ok zoomed out. Mostly this was just done as a break from working on my game art, so I didn't want to nitpick it for long.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:35 commented on Dragon Warrior
Interesting. I like how the style is more in line with the japanese box art of Toriyama.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:28 commented on NES shooter mockup
Very neat. Reminds me a lot of Star Tropics. Could just be the scenery though

Off comment, I could be wrong but I think the sprites may not fit with NES restrictions, because of sharing palettes across multiple sprites or something (hence the 3-4 colours per sprite a lot of the time). I dunno, I never really did much research into NES' graphical mechanics, but they just seem too... good... to really be authentic.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:24 commented on Moominland
I really like the scenery. My only complaint is some of the leaves could stand to be a bit more contrasted to give them some more volume.

Also, Moomins are godamned creepy.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:21 commented on Beach
Sand, sea, mountains, sky... all very beautiful. Chair and umbrella do look a little plain in contrast. I do kind of agree with jalonso though, the stripe pattern seems a little of.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:18 commented on Decorative Sword
It's nice for its simplicity... though I wouldn't exactly call it very decorative. By modern fantasy standards, it's pretty baseline plain. But yeah, center it to the background.

Maybe give the blade some more shine and make the edges more prominent. Blade kind of looks like it's just been machine punched out of a sheet of metal.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 11:10 commented on Cyber Space
Nice, very reminiscent of Tron.

Mr.Pharand @ 6/12/2007 10:03 commented on CD Case: Wish You Were Here
I left a comment concerning that on my Division Bell cover.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/26/2007 11:10 commented on Remake FAXANDU (NES game)
Faxanadu has a lot more RPG elements than GnG, there's not a great deal of powerups. You collect gold from monsters and buy armour, weapon and spell upgrades from stores in the towns as you progress.

I like the sprites though. It's nice to see a more tangible interpretation of the Faxanadu hero, rather than the featureless pink thing in the actual game. Always kind of weird that all the NPC's had face portraits, and you never really knew what your character looked like.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/26/2007 09:26 commented on David Bowie Icon
You might try something other than MS Paint if you're having problems with it. I hear good things about graphics gale (though I personally use a far more obscure program that is similar, but I'm stuck in my ways; I can pm you a link if you'd like to try either of them). It works in 256 colours from the start and gives you a palette window to sort things in, gives you a 1x preview window so you can see what your work looks like while you work zoomed in, allows greater than x8 zoom, and most importantly, better selection tools, and more than 3 undo actions.

I know some great artists out there that swear by MS Paint (personally I think they might be slightly masochistic), but if you find it's hindering you, try something else.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/26/2007 09:17 commented on David Bowie Icon
First of all, jalonso said Bowie is in his 60's, as in his age, not when he was hugely popular. He was most popular during the 70's and 80's, but that's besides the point. Do you know who the Beatles are? The Rolling Stones? The Who? Led Zeppelin? Bowie is right up there in terms of popularity.

I don't want to rant or get on your case about this, but just a thought. When things like this come up, take five minutes and look it up on google or wikipedia. You find out he was a popular musician. Take another 5 to 10 minutes and look for a music video or something on youtube or google video. You might like it, you might not. But information and media is so readily available with the internet, it really takes minimal time and effort, so it really can't hurt.

You don't have to listen to me, but taking the time to look things up on your own is a good habit to get into, and will at the very least save you admitting ignorance and getting jumped on for it. Not saying you need to go all out and be the pop culture trivia wizard, but picking up on some things here and there won't kill you.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/25/2007 09:14 commented on Voltaire
I definately dig the curls.

I wonder if I'm the only one who started singing in my head, "Nobody loves you when you're evil~" when I saw this.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/25/2007 09:05 commented on David Bowie Icon
As great as these are, I am sorely disappointed at the lack of Jareth the Goblin King.

Also, if the red haired one is supposed to be Halloween Jack, he probably should have an eyepatch.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/20/2007 13:43 commented on The Tower
Wow. Just awesome. I can't think of a single thing wrong with it. I mean, the lightning looks a little flat, but hell, I consider that part of the style of it. The moon, tower, background, all very, very nice.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/20/2007 13:29 commented on 5 Small Movie Characters
Thanks.

Yeah, the first one I did was Tony, and originally planned to just leave it at that, and as such really tried to make him as non-recognisable as possible (if you look at the scene where he yells and fires his grenade launcher though, it should be a little more obvious). I then got requests to do more and it went from there.

The Bride is also a little ambiguous, lacking any definite features, you kind of just need to recognise the angle and facial expression. The other three should be distinguishable right away assuming you're familiar with the characters. Lo Pan seems to stump a lot of people though, Big Trouble In Little China is such an underated film.

Mr.Pharand @ 4/20/2007 02:34 commented on CattleChess mock-up
Yeah, I get what you're saying. And I had actually planned to most likely stop using the background shadows because it would likely complicate backgrounds too much in the actual game (there's a reason most pixel games don't fuss with accurate lightning). It isn't visible here, but I had experimented with larger walls and so bigger shadows, and it to the point where I need to make several dozen new tiles for each texture to create the angles of shadows. It's not worth it and starts looking weird when you get really long shadows covering larger portions of  the background. So yeah, I'm already way ahead of you.